Author Topic: Amazing Race finally going HD  (Read 11215 times)

Offline RealityFreakWill

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • WILL & JAMES AMAZING RACE 32 CHAMPIONS!
    • Facebook
Amazing Race finally going HD
« on: November 02, 2010, 10:45:41 AM »
Amazing Race in HD: it’s finally going to high definition

The Amazing Race will soon be filmed in high definition. Host Phil Keoghan recently told me that even he didn’t know why the show wasn’t in HD yet, saying “it makes sense for the show to be in HD.” Now, the network finally agrees.

CBS entertainment president Nina Tassler confirmed the switch when she told The Hollywood Reporter’s magazine, “Yes, yes, yes. We are doing Amazing Race in HD next year. I just announced it, there you go.”

There are no additional details, such as whether this will apply to season 18, which will presumably debut in early 2011 but be filmed late this year, or if “next year” means that the first HD season will be filmed next year, which means the show would debut in HD next fall. I hope it’s the former.

That CBS has finally decided to spend money on high definition—two years after Survivor made the switch—for its other major reality competition series will finally end the show’s increasingly ridiculous excuses for not being in HD. Whale Wars, Deadliest Catch, and Survivor can film in HD in their respective harsh environments, and now, so will The Amazing Race.

http://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/archives/the_amazing_race_18/2010_Nov_02_hd

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
Re: Amazing Race finally going HD
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 10:50:14 AM »
This is great news, not becase TAR will be in HD but because this means there's going to be many more TAR seasons to come with the switch to HD! :lol: :hearts:

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 11:03:26 AM »
Notice who announced it? Nina Tassler. She's a tough woman. Did you know Nina likes to slaughter her own chickens before eating them raw? Yes, she's that tough.

But seriously, this is great news. Seeing TAR in 21st century, crystal clear high definition instead of 20th century standard def is welcomed on this end.

The next step for TAR is to produce it in 3-D!  :yess: :yess: :yess: :yess:  :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just here to visit.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 11:32:48 AM »
This is GREAT news! I hope Season 18 is HD.  :hearts:

I didn't know she kills her own chickens and eats them RAW!  :ascared  
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline MamaT

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 12:31:16 PM »
I was just coming here to post the news. I'm not surprised that someone beat me to it!  :lol:

This is GREAT news!!  As others have mentioned, this means that not only do we get to watch the best show on TV in HD, but it basically assures us that TAR is going to be around for a while.  :hearts: :hearts:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 12:48:59 PM »
Yippee! HD and the next season confirmed!

Exclu: At last: After nearly a decade on the air and winning outstanding reality competition Emmys for seven years in a row, The Amazing Race is getting an HD upgrade.

"Yes, yes, yes," said entertainment president Nina Tassler in a Q&A from the premiere issue of Hollywood Reporter's new weekly magazine. "We are doing Amazing Race in HD next year. I just announced it, there you go."Scripted broadcast shows made the HD leap years ago, followed by many top reality shows. All the while, Race fans have been longing to see the scenic globetrotting series in the high-resolution format, and even host Phil Keoghan got into the debate in September.

“I would love to see the show in HD," Keoghan told RealityBlurred. "I think it makes sense for the show to be in HD. I don’t really know all the reasons why it isn’t. But I would love to see the show in HD, and I do hear it a lot from fans. And I do think it is something that needs to come to the show.”

Producers have previously cited the cost of converting a worldwide production crew to the more expensive HD gear, plus concerns about the portability and durability of HD cameras.

Some of those reasons were brushed aside a couple years ago when CBS' own Survivor made the HD leap, along with the release of Discovery's HD masterpiece Planet Earth

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/live-feed/amazing-race-getting-hd-upgrade-34512

=================

Not clear if that means TAR 18 to be filmed in HD or not, since that will be filmed this year. :duno:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

calibound234

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 01:19:48 PM »
Yesss this is perfect!

Can't wait to watch Amazing Race in HD!

So like others have mentioned, this definately confirms TAR 18 is coming... And if that one isn't going to be shot in HD, than there will definately be a TAR 19.

I'm sure it would be for TAR 18 though because im sure it hasn't been filmed yet, and she only just announced it as if they were trying to keep it a secret or something.

Hopefully it will gain and attract more viewers because it will be shot in HD..

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 02:38:08 PM »
Talking with my sources at CBS, this means starting next year so yes, TAR 19 will be the first season shot in HD.

And another thing about Nina Tassler. She's so tough that even Chuck Norris is afraid to talk with her and we all know how tough Chuck is. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just here to visit.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 02:43:12 PM »
The issue has never been wanting to film in HD, it's been the issue of making sure all the local film crews had HD equipment.  Since HDTV has become a world-wide standard, the crews the show needs have, I'm sure, been acquiring the HD equipment. And with the networks having more revenue from advertising after two bad years due to the Great Recession, the networks can afford the additional equipment purchases for the additional crews. (I think it's clear TAR's budget has gone up instead of down because it's pretty evident the show has had more money to spend on designing the tasks.)

I'm glad we're finally over that HD hurdle.  It's long overdue.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 02:54:02 PM »
Hopefully this switch to HD will make WRP to focus a bit more on the locations again.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2010, 05:50:06 PM »
Probably it will be a race heavily based in European cities (Venice, England, London, Switzerland...)

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 12:02:43 AM »
Yes,  Thank You God!

Offline Blob

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 06:45:25 AM »
And 16:9 i hope

Offline Seattlite

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2010, 08:15:23 AM »
The 3D comment was funny, I can see the watermelon flying out of the TV!  I wonder who pays for all the equipment?  If it were CBS it would add to their commitment to the show.  Great news all around.

Offline Seattlite

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2010, 09:16:44 AM »
Anyone have any idea of what the equipment will look like?

Offline Blob

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2010, 04:27:39 PM »
A HD camera looks like a normal TV-camera. Today you can hardly get a TV-camera that is not HD or/and 16:9

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2010, 04:41:09 PM »
Anyone have any idea of what the equipment will look like?
It should look like this - but without the antenna...
Sony PMW-500
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2010, 05:19:47 PM »
Talking with my sources at CBS, this means starting next year so yes, TAR 19 will be the first season shot in HD.

And another thing about Nina Tassler. She's so tough that even Chuck Norris is afraid to talk with her and we all know how tough Chuck is. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually, I think TAR 18 will be in HD. Is there hope for a 7-continent race?

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2010, 05:23:36 PM »
If you check the link I posted in the TAR 18 in the Media thread, you'll see that CBS announced today that TAR 18 will air in the spring, and will be filmed in HD.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Carter

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2010, 06:54:54 PM »
That is awesome-o news!!!

Offline Oddarane

• RFF Full Member
  • Scandinavian Minister for the Amazing Race
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2010, 09:04:06 AM »
Great news, was about time.
\\\\\\\"The world is waiting for you. Good luck - travel safe - GO! - Phil Keoghan

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2010, 09:17:53 AM »
And spring there is when? Sorry, don't know much about the four seasons. :'(
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2010, 09:30:16 AM »

Early next year 2011. Premiere probably in Feb?

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2010, 09:35:56 AM »
Thanks Joab. I remember now the pattern. Every February (near your birthday?) there is always a Survivor and a TAR. :tup:

Now next question, we have seen the HD Cameras via spoiler pics. Any chance you can identify the brand/type? (Ok, wtf, why am I asking this question? :lol:)
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2010, 09:40:06 AM »

Early next year 2011. Premiere probably in Feb?

Definitely after the Super Bowl.
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.