Author Topic: TARA 4 EP 6 Episode and Show Discussion (New Zealand) **SPOILERS**  (Read 11924 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
From Mrs Shrek's Timeline!!

New Zealand

Saturday June 19

Travel: from Legazpi City, Albay, Philippines to Manila, Philippines.(1)(2)
(Speculation)

Travel: from Manila, Philippines to Christchurch, New Zealand, via Singapore.(3)(5)
Possible flight from Manila,  Philippines to Singapore MNL-SIN SQ 917  Dep 14:20 Arr 17:50
Probable flight from Singapore to Christchurch, New Zealand SIN-CHC SQ 297 Dep 19:40 Arr 09:20 (+1 day)

Sighting: 7 teams remaining at Manila airport.(4)

Sunday June 20

Travel: from Christchurch, New Zealand to Invercargill, New Zealand.(9)
Evidence: Teams seen on flight and also departing from Invercargill Airport.(6)-(8 )

Travel: from Invercargill, New Zealand to Kingston, New Zealand in a Maui Campervan via State Highway 6.
Approx 2 hrs 88miles/143km driving from Invercargill to Kingston.
Evidence: Multiple local online newspaper articles.(6)(7)(10)

Task Description: A 'wood-sawing competition'.(10)

Monday June 21

Travel: to Coronet Peak.

Task Description: Find a buried snow transceiver in Coronet Peak Ski Area.  Image

Travel: to Gibbston to collect clue.

Task Description: Detour - choose between AJ Hackett’s extreme Nevis Highwire bungy or Arc swing. 
Warning: U-turn ahead.  Image

Travel: to Queenstown Bungy Centre  for transportation via AJ Hackett Bungy to the Nevis site.

Sighting: A team was seen running to the Kawarau Bridge bungy instead of going to the Queenstown Bungy Centre for the Nevis Bungy. Image

Sighting: A team was seen in central Queenstown at 13:40, possibly going to the Queenstown Bungy Centre.

Travel: to Queenstown Events Centre.

Task Description: Kick a rugby ball through the goal posts.
2 All Blacks, Ben Smith and Jamie Mackintosh, and a local schoolboy rugby team were present.

Pitstop: Likely Elimination? 6 teams remain.

Accommodation: Crowne Plaza Queenstown.

Tuesday June 22

Travel: to Coronet Peak.

Task Description: Ski Slalom on the Kaser Ski Carpet at Coronet Peak.(10)

Travel: to Gibbston.

Task Description: Detour: Herding sheep or Rolling a wine barrel at Brennan Wines. (10)

Travel: to Arrowtown.

Task Description: Write a letter and post it at the historic post office.(10) Image

Sighting: Queenstown Airport.(18 )-(21)

Travel: from Queenstown, New Zealand to Sydney, Australia.(23)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Zealand

1 Speculated Flights that teams could be on from Legazpi to Manila
5J 326 Dep: 07:25 Arr: 08:25
PR 278 Dep: 08:00 Arr: 09:00
5J 324 Dep: 11:40 Arr: 12:35
Z2 221 Dep: 12:35 Arr: 1:30

2 [Allan Wu] finally had a good night's rest and now it's time to take it up to the air for a 24 hour flight plan. Time to buckle up and here we go! June 19 (tweet)

3 Undocumented reference :secret

4 7 teams left ... upon leaving manila! Link

5 Had the whole set of crew + contestants from Amazing Race Asia in my Christchurch flight.. Link

6 The Amazing Race stopped by the deep south over the weekend with competitors and camera crews seen filming in Invercargill.
Teams of two were spotted running through the airport after disembarking flights from Christchurch at 3.30pm and 4.20pm yesterday.
At least four Maui campervans were seen in the parking lot of Invercargill’s airport as well with the yellow and black striped Amazing Race envelopes in their windscreens.
Details are scarce but all people are saying they saw teams of two being filmed as they ran out of the airport and into the campervans before taking off up State Highway 6.
Link Web

7 Emmy-award-winning show The Amazing Race passed through Invercargill yesterday, understood to be filming for the next instalment of the global phenomenon.
While people on the ground refused to confirm the show's presence, at least four Maui campervans with yellow and black Amazing Race envelopes on their windscreens were parked at the Invercargill Airport yesterday afternoon.
Camera crew were also seen filming teams of two as they exited flights from Christchurch, the first about 3.30pm, and the second at 4.20pm.
The people were filmed running from the airport building and around the carpark before climbing into the campervans and leaving the airport.
One crew member said they were filming a travel show.
The campervans left Invercargill on State Highway 6.
Link Web

8 Flew in with the Amazing Race teams on Sunday. Link

9 Flights from Christchurch to Invercargill:
CHC-IVC NZ 5097 Dep 13:45 (14:20 actual Dep) Arr 15:05 (15:33 actual Arr)
CHC-IVC NZ 5007 Dep 15:00 Arr 16:20 PM (16:12 actual Arr)
Link

10 According to a ... source, the show was down to eight teams [believed actually to be seven teams] when it hit the Wakatipu – they arrived in six-berth campervans on Sunday for a wood-sawing competition in Kingston.
On Monday their first challenge was finding snow transceivers buried at Coronet Peak Ski Area.
Teams then tore to Gibbston, where they had a choice between AJ Hackett’s extreme Nevis Highwire bungy or Arc swing.
Their challenge last Monday was to kick a goal between rugby posts at the Events Centre.
On hand were two All Blacks, Ben Smith and Jamie Mackintosh, and a local schoolboy rugby team.
The teams, who stayed at Crowne Plaza, started Tuesday by returning to Coronet Peak for a slalom challenge on the Kaser Ski Carpet.
... understands only one of the teams had been on skis before.
From Coronet Peak the teams swung through Arrowtown, where they wrote a letter and posted it at the historic post office.
For their last local challenge they went back to Gibbston, where they had a choice of herding sheep or rolling a wine barrel at Brennan Wines.
The teams flew out to Sydney on Tuesday afternoon.
Link

11 they had to pick up campervans @ QT airport and get their next clue from QT events centre.
On Monday they did something at coronet peak and then had a goal kicking/rugby challenge with some All Blacks and children before finishing up with a pitstop. Unsure if this was an elimination stop but 6 teams started Tuesday, they had to do a sheep mustering challenge and something else, then post a letter at the post office to get their next clue to head to the airport and onto Sydney.
Link

12 The Amazing Race moved through Arrowtown yesterday morning before heading to Queenstown Airport yesterday afternoon.
While no-one will confirm it is the popular television show, the Otago Daily Times understands Destination Queenstown and Lakes Property Management had been involved in the seeking of permission for filming, including inside the historic post office in Arrowtown and along Buckingham St between 9am and noon yesterday.
It is also understood participants had to try to kick a rugby ball through goal posts at the Queenstown Events Centre on Monday, before heading to Coronet Peak.
Yesterday, the ODT saw two teams of two people entering the post office, camera crews in tow, and leaving moments later.
One of the teams, comprising two women, asked for directions to a travel agent.
One woman mentioned going to Australia.
About 1.40pm yesterday, another team with two cameramen was spotted in central Queenstown.
Link Web

13 I saw the crew at New Zealand on the 20th June at the Nevis Bungy/Arc site. Allan was probably doing the recording for the task intros.
There was a u-turn sign there! I took a photo with it quickly before the crew realized it and hid it away hahahaha.
21st June was when I saw a team running to the Kawarau Bridge bungy; wrong place! Sad.
Link

14 The Nevis Bungy. Want an outdoor adventure, beautiful scenery and extreme highs? Then the Nevis Bungy (Bungee), 134m above the rugged Nevis River, combines all these elements into a mind blowing series of unforgettable events. With 8.5 seconds of falling its a breathtaking ground rush like no other. Web

15 The Nevis Arc is the World's Highest Swing! Located next to the Nevis Bungy in the Nevis Canyon... Swing forwards, backwards, alone or with a friend. You will be suspended high above the canyon floor and release yourself, let your mates release you or leave it up to our crew. Then experience a massive rush of adrenaline as you find yourself accelerating through the canyon at mind blowing speeds in a 300m Arc! Web

16 The Kawarau Bridge Bungy - home to the original 43metre Bungy Jump. If you've heard of Bungy, you've heard of the Kawarau... it is where Bungy founders AJ Hackett and Henry van Ash started it all. Web

17 Nevis access [is] via AJ Hackett Bungy only. Transport from the Queenstown Bungy Centre located at the Station on the Corner of Camp & Shotover Street.
Your Nevis Highwire Bungy expereince kicks off with a rugged 35 minute back-blocks 4x4 drive before your harnessed up, aboard a shuttle and crossing the canyon to the Bungy Pod. Arc swing next to bungy. Web

18 is on facebook..........in koru club......afta just seeing 2 amazing race teams in queenstown airport. Link

19 so today i am about to get in line at qts airport and like 6 ppl from the amazing race come storming in so crazy Link

20 i saw an indonesian couple come in at about 2pm. they were coming into queenstown and were off to sydney. I think they flew direct at 4.20pm. then about 20mins later these 2 arab looking gurls came in. i think these two teams were in last and 2nd to last. As the one of the air line people said they had been coming in all dae.
I knew it was the amazing race, because i watch the show. and i was in arrowtown earlier that day and a resturant owner told me that the amazing race was being filmed here, but i didnt c anyting, and then wen i got to the airport later on, i saw them.
Link

21 While at the airport in Queenstown, New Zealand today they were following the AMAZING RACE FILMING. GUESS it will be on next season, look for me, They were trying to get a flight to Syndey, Australia. Link

22 made a guest appearance on the Amazing Race today. Fastest way to 1st place? Book with Brooker Travel Arrowtown.... Arriving at their destination earlier than Amazing race producers thought possible and now rushing to organize film crews to meet their flight Link

23 believe there was only a 30min gap between all the teams arrivals in Sydney. Link

24Majority of contestants are believed to have flown on the direct flight from Queenstown to Sydney.
(unsubstantiated report that this flight was possibly pre-booked for some teams from Philippines due to visa issues) 
ZQN-SYD PBI 89 Dep 16:30 Arr: 17:55 (Sched) Arr: 18:23 (Actual) - delayed by 28 mins.
This is the last flight of the day out of Queenstown.

At least one team was reportedly able to arrange a flight scheduled to arrive approx 30 mins earlier into Sydney than the direct flight option. Assuming no teams were able to complete tasks and get to the airport before midday, these are the possible earlier flight combinations, via Christchurch or Auckland.

ZQN-CHC JQ 276 Dep: 12:55 Arr: 13:50
or ZQN-CHC NZM 5044 Dep: 13:45 Arr: 14:45
connecting with
CHC-SYD EK 419 Dep: 15:55 Arr: 17:15 (Sched) Arr: 17:14 (Actual)

ZQN-AKL NZ 638 Dep: 12:30 Arr: 14:15 (Sched) Arr: 14:06 (Actual)
connecting with
AKL-SYD QF 56 Dep: 15:45 Arr: 17:25 (Sched) Arr: 16:58 (Actual)
or AKL-SYD NZ 105 Dep: 16:00 Arr: 17:30 (Sched) Arr: 17:26 (Actual)
        |                               _                                                                 
        \ _ /                            (  )                                                    _  _         
     -= (_) =-                       ( `  ) . )            _                                  ( `   )_     
       /   \          _  _          (_, _(  ,_)_)        -=\`\                               (    )    `)   
         |           ( `   )_                        |\ ____\_\__                          (_   (_ .  _) _)
                    (    )    `)                   -=\c`""""""" "`)                                         
                  (_   (_ .  _) _)                    `~~~~~/ /~~`             _ .                         
                                                        -==/ /               (  _ )_                       
                                                          '-'              (_  _(_ ,)                       

¸.·´¯`·._.·´¯`·._.·´¯`·._.·´¯`·._.·´¯`·._.·´¯`·._.·´¯`·._.·´¯`·._.·´¯`·._.·´¯`·._.·´¯`·._.·´¯`·._.·´¯`·._.·´¯`·.¸       

« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 11:45:57 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TARA 4 EP 6 Episode and Show Discussion (New Zealand) **SPOILERS**
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 11:37:33 PM »
One of our best spoiled episodes, lovely to see it come to life!!

PREVIEW:

« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 11:48:21 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 11:37:59 PM »
*saved*
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline amazingracer24

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 08:11:16 AM »
WARNING.....

U-TURN AHEAD!!!!!! :yess:

Offline Ruth

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • With all your heart!
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 09:18:40 AM »
I'm glad that there was an Operation Hours to bunch up the things, otherwise the whole leg would have been so predictable. Thankfully, Jess and Lani had the chance to catch up!

I didn't think it was necessary for Michelle and Claire to U-Turn Sunaina and Dimple. I love those girls, but once again, I'm never supportive of personal actions... They were in a good position, Sunaina and Dimple weren't in a position where they couldn't catch up, I feel that they actually wasted their opportunity at using a U-Turn. That said, this must be the first time a team survived being U-Turned! (Correct me if I'm wrong.) But then again, those two Detour choices didn't require much time, just much guts.

I'm surprised that Ivan and Hilda were eliminated this leg. Based on editing and all, I expected them to make the Final 5 at least. When they were in last place, I expected Allan to tell them that it was an NEL (yes, they've had two already, but we all know that TARA's structuring's a little weird sometimes...) So I was really surprised when they were eliminated. It was an endearing exit though, Hilda blaming herself but Ivan being so nice about it. Hilda may be very annoying, but I have utmost respect for Ivan for being such a nice, patient husband! And yes, I believe that's why they're married, they're able to complement each other. =)
TAR 26: Hayley and Blair` Mike and Rochelle` Jelani and Jenny`
Survivor 30: Jenn` Joe` Hali` Sierra`
AI 14: Jax` Clark` Joey`

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 09:34:06 AM »
:o Ivan and Hilda got eliminated? :o

I'll watch the new eppy whenever I catch it. :tup:
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline calv_10

• RFF Jr. Member
    • Calvin's Hub
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 02:10:43 PM »
Here's my recap:
http://www.calvinshub.com/2010/10/the-amazing-race-asia-4-episode-6/

I might have to edit the first part. I didn't catch it on TV so i didn't know if they flew from manila to christchurch or from legaspi to christchurch.

i think it was ethan and khairie who got to the wrong bungy jump place. they really went downhill after the saw task.

props to ivan for being such a loving husband. if he chose an able partner then that team would've rocked.
Read my recaps on The Amazing Race Asia after each episode.

Offline jps0228

• RFF Jr. Member
  • I make Amazing Race SIMS Version Videos!!
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 05:50:36 PM »
When Ethan and Khaire left the Philippines I heard of an EXPRESS PASS! Luckil it wasn't the Express Pass from TAR17 and it was a HELICOPTER EXPRESS PASS!  :lol: It's a good thing that Jess & Lani are able to catch up or the race will be predictable. Claire & Michelle's use of the U-Turn was a waste! I was looking forward for the Richard's to U-Turn Ethan & Khaire. If that happens  :yess: .Y'know, This leg should be a NEL I think because the roadblock is by chance. Oh well, Bye Ivan & Hilda you ran a good race! Better than Henri & Terri I think
"I heard you're dad went into a restaurant and ate everything at the restaurant and they have to close the restaurant" -Ralph Wiggum

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 08:55:09 PM »
When Ethan and Khaire left the Philippines I heard of an EXPRESS PASS! Luckil it wasn't the Express Pass from TAR17 and it was a HELICOPTER EXPRESS PASS!  :lol: It's a good thing that Jess & Lani are able to catch up or the race will be predictable. Claire & Michelle's use of the U-Turn was a waste! I was looking forward for the Richard's to U-Turn Ethan & Khaire. If that happens  :yess: .Y'know, This leg should be a NEL I think because the roadblock is by chance. Oh well, Bye Ivan & Hilda you ran a good race! Better than Henri & Terri I think

I only saw the first episode, but i think Ivan has been more supportive, and more vocal... so he can stand up to the worst of Hilda... good and bad.

Offline calv_10

• RFF Jr. Member
    • Calvin's Hub
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 11:28:38 PM »
mind posting a recap on the first part how they were able to board the flight out of Philippines? :) would appreciate it. thanks!
Read my recaps on The Amazing Race Asia after each episode.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 11:42:33 PM »
I haven't seen it yet.... :(
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2010, 06:17:37 AM »
Personally, this is by far the best TARA 4 episode up till now. That was really a good Detour there, and this is what i call a really good placement of a U-TURN. The U-TURN team doesn't have to waste even more time travelling to another location and thus sealing their fate as they wasted more time. Self-driving always rock, as this is an element of the race where if you go 20 minutes in the wrong direction, you spend another 20 minutes returning to where you came from, and then starting from then again. As seen from this episode, we all saw how teams positions changed drastically thanks to self-driving. Personally, i would have chosen to do SWING. Looks so much more fun.

I disagree that the U-TURN was a bad move. Claire and Michelle didn't know that the Indian girls are just behind them doing the other Detour. The Indian girls could have been eliminated this leg if they didn't actually drive well (Ivan and Hilda). Should the Indian girls be lost while driving, they could have spent and wasted another 20 minutes doing the other Detour.. and as what we've seen, the girls lost about 1/2 positions while doing the other one, which affected their morale and they ended the leg in 6th place. And the Indian girls won a leg before so they can be seen as a threat. There's no point U-TURNing the Malaysian boys as they're friends and as the Indian girls did them the favour by Yielding them first, they had every right for a payback time. But i get what you all mean, it did little damage to the Indian girls.. but it did set them back behind by a little.. to tell the truth.

And the Roadblock was actually a good one, it's something that is at least note "LAME".. although it could be improved.. for example, each team will get a set of device that will only react to for example, 5 items that they must find buried in the sand that are exclusively theirs. This could have made it so much more fun because they need to find more items as well as they could have been digging for what belonged to other devices.

And from land.. to snow. Awesome much!

The Richards finishing in first? Yawns. That was such a physically leg and if they didn't finish first, they need to be shot. Love it that 3 all-female teams are still in the final 6 and the father and daughter are still doing so well despite their bad start on this race for the first few legs.

I hope this season just gets better! Of course, this must have been their most expensive leg yet. :lol:

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2010, 06:19:50 AM »
Not to mention, Michelle and Claire and Ethan and Khairie stopping in their tracks, to think.. and then just approaching the service counter for flights. That was truly the best move of the episode. True that bunching kills the lead that they could have on the other teams.. but this just shows that the race is not just about racing and not slowing down to think when needed. :tup:

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2010, 04:15:02 PM »
It is interesting to see how what prior Amazing Races and Amazing Race Asias have done on bungee jumps and wings in the Queenstown area. I found by research that AR2 ep. 9 used the same Nevis bungee and so did ARA1, ep. 6. The only swing used was in ARA1, ep. 6 in a DETOUR with the other option (a relay race) being much slower. So, the use of the Nevis bungee was merely because it has shown AR and ARA audiences that it is the most scary and fascinating bungee. The Nevis Arc Swing used in this episode was a first-time use. The Ledge Bungee Swing nearby above Queenstown was also a first-time use.

Offline thespicdatum

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2010, 11:58:35 PM »
mind posting a recap on the first part how they were able to board the flight out of Philippines? :) would appreciate it. thanks!

They took a plane from Legazpi, Albay airport to Christchurch, New Zealand...

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2010, 01:34:37 PM »
thespicdatum,
Of course there is no flight from Legazpi to Christchurch, but there are connecting flight segments to Manila, and Sinagpore.

Calv_10, if you had read the ARA4 ATimelines thread, my answer has been there for days:

Re: TARA 4 Timeline
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 05:33:04 PM »

The information in episode 6 allows us to figure out which flights teams used to get from Legazpi to Invercargill. Here's how they did it assuming that all flights except the last were on Saturday June 19:

5J326  LGP MNL 0725 0825
3K512 MNL SIN   1050 1413 (there are some later alternatives, but teams would have grabbed the first arriving flight)
SQ297SIN CHC  2003 0915+1 (as predicted by Mrs. Shrek, there is no alternative which gets them there in time)

On June 20, from CHC to IVC, the flights on Mt. Cook Airlines were:
NZM5063 1138 1251 Michelle/Claire, Ethan/Khairie, Hussein/Natasha, Richard/Richard
NZM5077 1420 1533 Sunaina/Dimple and Ivan/HIlda
NZM5007 1500 1612 Jess/Lani

Offline thespicdatum

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2010, 04:35:11 PM »
sorry, i just relied on the episode on that one. :)