Archive > The Amazing Race 17 Spoilers & Speculation

Racing report TAR17 (leg#12 is on page 2)

<< < (2/7) > >>

mswood:

--- Quote from: georgiapeach on October 25, 2010, 01:26:47 PM ---Maf has been doing these for China Rush as well, they are wonderful!!

Thanks for taking TAR on as well!! :hearts:

--- End quote ---
Ok, why am I only hearing about china rush being a form of the amazing race?!!

Aaarrrrggggghhhhh!!!!

Off to YouTube I go!

georgiapeach:
You didn't know??OMgosh!! You will LOVE it!! Sending you the links...

redskevin88:

--- Quote ---And this is where we have a close call. Somehow Rachel's watermelon gets tangled up in her ballista so it travels back and leaves with full speed backwards instead. It scores a direct hit into Rachel's face. She is dazed and have trouble seeing clearly after this, but after a short break she resumes the challenge. That's the spirit.
--- End quote ---

Come on, it's Claire, not Rachel, the famous watermelon preggy girl...

maf:

--- Quote from: redskooky on October 26, 2010, 08:11:02 PM ---Come on, it's Claire, not Rachel, the famous watermelon preggy girl...

--- End quote ---

OOPS, you are right :-[  I have edited the post.

maf:
Racing report
Amazing Race Season 17, Episode 2
Film date 2010-05-28 - 2010-05-29

I have tried to estimate distances and driving times every now and then. This data, from Google, is an approximation at best and the driving times assumes no traffic.

Teams leave the pit stop at Eastnor castle in the following order:
1.Jill & Thomas    11:55        2.Nat & Kat        12:00(+0:05) 3.Connor & Jonathan12:20(+0:25) 4.Brook & Claire   12:21(+0:26) 5.Katie & Rachel   12:22(+0:27) 6.Gary & Mallory   12:40(+0:45) 7.Michael & Kevin  12:41(+0:46) 8.Chad & Stephanie 12:50(+0:55) 9.Andie & Jenna    13:35(+1:40)10.Nick & Vicki     13:45(+1:50)
Route info: "Fly to the city of Accra". Teams must now fly to Accra, Ghana. Once they land they must make their way to Kwame Nkrumah memorial park where they will find their next clue. Teams get $137 for this leg of the race.

Connor & Jonathan, Brook & Claire and  waited on Katie & Rachael at the start to pool their resources. They then promptly got lost on the way to the parking lot. Claire solved the problem by asking (and kissing) a local tractor driver.

Choice quotes:
 "Thomas was in charge the last leg. But I feel like I can do things', Jill wants to contribute as well
 "Kat is very Cool, Calm and Collected", Nat about her team mate
 "I'm thinking if there are no watermelons in this leg then it is us", Claire wants to be first
 "And I'm going to give you a big sloppy kiss afterwards", Claire tries to convince the tractor guy to give them good directions (to Heathrow)
 "I just kissed and Englishman, in a tractor!", Claire thinks she has sold her soul
 "My tactic is obviously that a kiss saves the day", Claire has her strategy clear
 "My leg hurts", Michael complains, "Ignore it", Kevin is full of sympathy
 "Can you really believe we slept in a castle?", Jenna reveals where teams spent the night

All teams end up on the same Virgin Atlantic flight VS657 departing at 22:54 which arrived at 04:55 the next day. Upon arrival there is the customary mad dash to the taxis. Teams eventually reach the monument (8km 0:13) in the following order:
  1. Brook & Claire
  2. Nick & Vicki
  3. Chad & Stephanie
  4. Katie & Rachel
  5. Michael & Kevin
  6. Jill & Thomas
  7. Nat & Kat
  8. Connor & Jonathan
  9. Gary & Mallory
 10. Andie & Jenna

Choice quotes:
 "It's so cool here, it's so different", Vicki appreciates Africa
 "It might give us good karma", Jenna after Andie gave money to a beggar

Route info: "Make your way to Makola market. The next clue can be found across the street from the main entrance". This is reached by taxi (1km 0:01) and teams arrive in the following order:
  1. Nick & Vicki
  2. Brook & Claire
  3. Jill & Thomas
  4. Chad & Stephanie
  5. Katie & Rachel
  6. Michael & Kevin
  7. Nat & Kat
  8. Connor & Jonathan
  9. Andie & Jenna
 10. Gary & Mallory

Choice quotes:
 "This is crazy, so many people and it stinks", Katie and Rachel arrives at the market
 "I'm not a stranger to this kind of market", Michael knows places like this from his youth in Taiwan
 "Oh, my god", Mallory when their taxi breaks down

Roadblock: "Who thinks they can handle some shady dealings". One team member must sell as many sunglasses as it takes to earn 15cedis ($10). They may not sell any pair for less than 3cedi.

Teams complete the roadblock in the following order (* denotes team member performing the road block, and the numbers how many roadblocks each team member have performed):
1.Brook* & Claire   (1-1) 2.Michael* & Kevin  (1-1) 3.Connor* & Jonathan(2-0) 4.Chad* & Stephanie (2-0) 5.Katie & Rachel*   (0-2) 6.Andie & Jenna*    (0-2) 7.Gary & Mallory*   (1-1) 8.Jill* & Thomas    (1-1) 9.Nick* & Vicki     (2-0)10.Nat & Kat*        (1-1)
Choice quotes:
 "Not to say I have no confidence in my dad, but was nervous", Michael does not trust his dad
 "I should have done this", Vicki discovers hindsight
 "This is definitely a lot harder that I thought it was going to be", Nick
 "This is what we do for a living, sell stuff", Claire is confident in Brook
 "Oh, that look good" Brook shows that the trust is well placed
 "I was definitely trying to target the women", Chad had a strategy
 "Kat hard sell, hard sell", Nat pushes Kat into working harder
 "You don't want to sell them a pair of bad sunglasses", Jill shows compassion
 "Why do you care?", Thomas does not
 "I need them back", A lady is just walking away with a pair of Nick's sunglasses
 "We realized we were in last place, that was a little scary", Kat feel the heat
 "I'm definitely not quitting my day job to become a Ghanian professional sunglass seller", Kat after finishing last in the roadblock
 "Okay, we trust our cab driver", Mallory utters some famous last words

Route info: "Make your way to the June 4th area. Find Peace Motor spare parts and search for your next clue". Teams arrive at the next clue box (12km 0:14) in the following order:
  1. Brook & Claire
  2. Chad & Stephanie
  3. Katie & Rachel
  4. Michael & Kevin, had trouble finding the clue box
  5. Connor & Jonathan
  6. Jill & Thomas
  7. Nick & Vicki
  8. Gary & Mallory
  9. Nat & Kat
 10. Andie & Jenna

The last three teams had taxi problems.

Detour: "Tune In or Check Out"

"Tune In: Mount a TV antenna on top of a local house and connect it to a television. If you tune in the signal to the owner's satisfaction you will receive your next clue."

Part of the extra info reads: "...neighborhood directly behind Adom
  Electricals on June 4th Teshie Road and choose a marked house. You may not switch.

* Install the antenna according to the owners instructions. Each house
  might be slightly different,but you chose your house, live with it!"

"Check Out: Transport a locally designed coffin from the workshop to the showroom. Once the coffin is delivered you will receive your next clue." The workshop is called "Emmanuel's woodshop" and the coffins are made to look like everyday objects.

Teams complete the detour in the following order:
  1. Brook & Claire (tune in)
  2. Katie & Rachel (check out, piano coffin)
  3. Michael & Kevin (tune in)
  4. Chad & Stephanie (tune in)
  5. Jill & Thomas (check out, camera coffin)
  6. Nick & Vicki (tune in)
  7. Connor & Jonathan (start tune in but switch to check out, fish coffin)
  8. Gary & Mallory (tune in)
  9. Nat & Kat (check out, lobster coffin)
 10. Andie & Jenna (check out, fish coffin)

Choice quotes:
 "Safety glasses? Oh we want pink", Brook
 "Oh my god Claire, this is way harder than it looks", Brooks uses a hammer
 "Smells good, I'm hungry" Claire sees somebody cooking while Brook is hammering
 "I need you to really focus Claire", Brooke is having  none of it
 "Glad I could give you this service, and I do it with a smile", Brook knows what customer service is
 "I don't know what I am doing", Brook has trouble tuning the antenna
 "You see that blue truck, that is a coffin", Rachel spots the showroom
 "The coffins were really strange, the camera, just weird things", Jill (personally I do not find a camera weird)
 "I don't think this is right", Nat & Kat's taxi is lost
 "It's back, it's back", Gary & Mallory's taxi driver learns where it is
 "And the child shall lead us", Connor & Jonathan follows a small child who shows them the way
 "I wonder how they would really fit a human in here, it's a little oddly shaped. But I guess if you really liked fish", Jonathan reflects on the coffin
 "You okay?", Nat asks Kat after she fell
 "Yeah, let's go, let's go", Kat shows fighting spirit

Route info: "Make your way to the  next Pit Stop: Kaneshie Market. Warning the last team may be eliminated" (17km 0:18). Teams find the pit stop in the following order:
  1. Brook & Claire, win a 10 day trip to Hawaii
  2. Katie & Rachel
  3. Michael & Kevin
  4. Chad & Stephanie
  5. Jill & Thomas
  6. Connor & Jonathan
  7. Nat & Kat
  8. Nick & Vicki
  9. Gary & Mallory
 10. Andie & Jenna, are eliminated

Choice quotes:
 "Traffic is insane, it's bumper to bumper all the way down", Nick & Vicki are stuck in traffic
 "Pass all these cars if you want to", Nat encourages their taxi driver, and he creates an extra lane for himself
 "Ah, we got to, that's", Mallory is flustered by being passed by Nat & Kat's taxi
 "We just passed our little brothers" Nat & Kat pass Connor & Jonathan
 "How did that happen?", Jonathan is also surprised
 "We made up some time big time", Kat appreciates their taxi driver (they just moved from #9 to #6)
 "These taxi drivers are nuts, but we are not complaining, as long as we are not dying", Jonathan while cringing in the taxi
 "I think I'm having a religious experience", Nat is scared in the taxi
 "I'm just so proud I haven't soiled myself", Connor is also scared
 "I've had a bad day Phil, give me some good news", Gary on the mat
 "Or any new before I have a heart attack and die on this mat. Has that happened before?", Mallory is also tense on the mat

The pitstop location here is awesome. Right in the middle of the market with hordes of people around. The greeter is an African woman with a colorful dress carrying a big bowl with smoked fish on her head.

It may be symptomatic of Andie & Jenna that they were the only team which walked up to the mat. At least they will get plenty of time to get to know each other in calmer circumstances at the elimination station.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version