Author Topic: TAR 17 EP 12 (FINALE) "Hi. I'm sorry. I'm in a Race."  (Read 241025 times)

Offline Rogue

• RFF Jr. Member
Re: TAR 17 EP 12 (FINALE) "Hi. I'm sorry. I'm in a Race."
« Reply #625 on: December 14, 2010, 09:42:55 AM »
The taxis were all part of the final task. Phil told us this without telling us this.
You don't always win the race by making the best forward moves but you make it by avoiding the huge moves that set you back. -Nat

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #626 on: December 14, 2010, 01:22:24 PM »
The taxis were all part of the final task. Phil told us this without telling us this.

Indeed. The cabs (either by design or accident - I think by design) were the decisive task. All 3 teams had to figure out how to solve the puzzle without help from the driver (and apparently the dispatcher). While it can be argued that teams could have known the answers to the first and third question (I did), no one could reasonably be expected to know the second answer. You needed to get internet access to solve it quickly and effectively. Nat and Kat had the advantage of getting to the cabs first and wisely screened them before choosing one. They were also the most successful at finding a way to contact someone with internet access to help them. Brook and Claire went to a hotel, which was smart but not as fast. Jill and Thomas were reduced at one point to standing in the street next to their cab yelling "Help! Internet?" which was oddly sad and pathetic  but not successful. So, Nat and Kat deserved to win just for handling that difficult situation.

It occurs to me that all three teams had members that either live or have recently lived in the Los Angeles area. I'm not sure about Brook and Claire, but Brook seems to be listed in places as living in the Los Angeles area. They all seem to have had phone access in the cab (I think). I believe Nat and Kat may have called someone they knew to do the internet research. I don't understand why the other teams didn't do that. If the other teams had friends or family in the area (or even anywhere else in the country) not calling them for help seems like an inexcusable mistake at the critical point in the race.

Offline Rogue

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #627 on: December 14, 2010, 02:54:07 PM »

Indeed. The cabs (either by design or accident - I think by design) were the decisive task. All 3 teams had to figure out how to solve the puzzle without help from the driver (and apparently the dispatcher). While it can be argued that teams could have known the answers to the first and third question (I did), no one could reasonably be expected to know the second answer. You needed to get internet access to solve it quickly and effectively. Nat and Kat had the advantage of getting to the cabs first and wisely screened them before choosing one. They were also the most successful at finding a way to contact someone with internet access to help them. Brook and Claire went to a hotel, which was smart but not as fast. Jill and Thomas were reduced at one point to standing in the street next to their cab yelling "Help! Internet?" which was oddly sad and pathetic  but not successful. So, Nat and Kat deserved to win just for handling that difficult situation.

It occurs to me that all three teams had members that either live or have recently lived in the Los Angeles area. I'm not sure about Brook and Claire, but Brook seems to be listed in places as living in the Los Angeles area. They all seem to have had phone access in the cab (I think). I believe Nat and Kat may have called someone they knew to do the internet research. I don't understand why the other teams didn't do that. If the other teams had friends or family in the area (or even anywhere else in the country) not calling them for help seems like an inexcusable mistake at the critical point in the race.

Nat and Kat said they researched more for L.A. than they did for anywhere else. They had telephone numbers to call tourist places and they called 411 and were able to check and double check the information they got.
You don't always win the race by making the best forward moves but you make it by avoiding the huge moves that set you back. -Nat

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #628 on: December 14, 2010, 02:57:12 PM »

Nat and Kat said they researched more for L.A. than they did for anywhere else. They had telephone numbers to call tourist places and they called 411 and were able to check and double check the information they got.

Nat and Kat also gave themselves an advantage by leaving their first taxi and finding a new one unlike Jill and Thomas, who allowed their unintelligent taxi driver to drive them around the city before dropping them off in a neighborhood, where the dating couple proceeded to yell at random passerby about internet access. As for Brooke and Claire, their method was simply slower than the doctors'.
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #629 on: December 14, 2010, 03:17:28 PM »
I think people are taking this book issue too far. I have never had to read about Don Quixote in elementary school, H.S., or college. I have heard of Don Quixote before but that question would have totally failed me as well. And the fact of the matter is that most of the people who are saying they knew the answer, that is only because they were forced to read the book at sometime in their lives. If you're never assigned to read the book for a class or if no one says you gotta read this book then chances are, unless you love to read, you're never going to pick it up.

You are leaving out the many people who have heard the music to "Man of La Mancha" in either the musical or the movie version. I bet that far exceeds the number of people who have read Cervantes. I haven't read Cervantes and bet few have,  but I saw both the musical and movie.

After I read the rogue comment above I made this comment. I subsequently discovered that theSchnauzers had about the same thought in a posting before this one.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 04:06:13 PM by apskip »

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #630 on: December 14, 2010, 04:03:04 PM »
[quote author=ovalorange link=topic=23566.msg582367#msg582367 date=1292305115]
... And I agree with Slayton, why was it done in a car park?...  
[/quote]
I think I can tell you. The Rose Bowl is a non-public space except during football games or other event days. It was not just any old car park, it was the rose Bowl car park with a float there to work on. That made it special. It looks to me in the schematic below that there would be several secluded spots for the float to have been parked not easily visible to the jogging public

« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 12:40:44 PM by apskip »

Offline FLFan

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #631 on: December 14, 2010, 05:07:50 PM »
The finale was pretty boring for me. Tbh, I don't think the tasks were awfully challenging for the teams and they didn't allow the teams to overtake and become really competitive with one another.

The bungee swing was entertaining but it really just put more time between each of the teams - something I definitely don't want to see in a finale. I want to see the teams pushing themselves to beat the other team, to be seen racing neck and neck with one another. The only time that happened was in the cabs to the port. The roadblock was boring and lame, the only somewhat exciting aspect of it was when Nat forgot to put the water in the buds - and yet they still managed to leave in first with plenty of time to find a good cab driver. And I agree with Slayton, why was it done in a car park?  :cmas18  The memory challenge was okay, but I think it would have been more exciting had we been able to look at the board and try and figure some out, instead of just being shown the teams choosing the right ones or making a mistake. It was better than last seasons, but really didn't challenge either Nat and Kat or Brook and Claire. It was nothing compared to TAR12, TAR13 or TAR14's memory tasks.

What did make it exciting were the teams. They really pushed themselves and their partner to the finish line. And we got a happy ending this time around, it was a lot more joyful than our ugly Brandy/Caite session last season. :mas25

I think this finale failed to allow the trailing teams to catch up and move ahead of Nat and Kat. Once the doctors gained the small lead at the port it allowed them to just take off -  and unless they would have make a big mistake, there was no way they were going to lose.

But in saying that:

Congratulations to Nat and Kat for winning the race  :cmas9  :cmas23  :cmas16

I think WE are part of the reason for such out-of-the-way / "dull" places.  Less opportunity for crumbs of clues to fall our way.  Also, with all the helicopters that were used, production was probably limited to where they could film safely.

That said, the team bungee drop was not just a way to put time between the racers.  Each team apparently had one team member that was not comfortable with that task.  Until they started showing the mid-week pre-final promos, I wasn't sure that Nat was even going to be able to finish the race.  Jill looked mightly nervous also.  AND Brook certainly wasn't her bubbly self!!  This was a TEST of truly how much you wanted the million dollars and the support of your partner when you wavered.

As someone else mentioned, being able to pick a good taxi was also probably a portion of the race.  After a multitude of taxi rides, you should have learned to query the taxi-driver before getting in.  J/T just got into the first taxi available.  B/C had less taxi choice, but had the clarity to ask to go to a hotel.  It was clear that even if you were book smart and could answer the first question; or trivia / movie smart and could answer the last question; that the middle question was going to REQUIRE you to get internet / tourist info / other assistance to find the proper answer.

I think the memory challenge was an interesting test.  You could record all the information that you wanted about your travels and STILL fail the memory challenge.

Yes, the lead N/K had after the jump would have allowed them to win unless they made a huge mistake.  But again, there was no expectation Nat would have actually done the bungee jump or that they could have done so well at the memory task as designed.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #632 on: December 14, 2010, 06:28:47 PM »
My only concern has been that in the last few seasons, the final leg seems to have become very linear, and it's difficult for teams to really make moves ahead of other teams, except through bad information or bad taxi luck.

You would think TPTB would be trying their darnest to re-create the final leg even-ness of TAR 2, but that doesn't seem to be the case these days.  Otherwise, I have no problems with the tasks in this final leg; the memory task was a knockout (with current season and past season greeters); and the use of the Rose Bowl is an iconic element of L.A. that is known around the world.

-- theschnauzers

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #633 on: December 14, 2010, 06:48:42 PM »
I think people are just hard to please. When the finale is exciting, the people complain that another team should have won. When a deserving team won, people will complain about how the finale is not exciting.

And when we have an exciting finale and a deserving winning team in TAR 15, people complain about the fact that there's no memory challenge and that Meghan and Cheyne are not the most well-liked team around...

:cmaslol Ahhh, people.
The finales where I either liked or had no issue with the winners and also found the episode dramatic and entertaining were TAR3, TAR7, and TAR14.

I personally prefer it when everything is outdoors, leads can change, and teams have to travel by foot like TAR2 and TAR3, and there is no celebrity like Wayne Newton, Darth Vader, or Bob Eubanks involved.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #634 on: December 14, 2010, 07:02:40 PM »

My only concern has been that in the last few seasons, the final leg seems to have become very linear, and it's difficult for teams to really make moves ahead of other teams, except through bad information or bad taxi luck.

You would think TPTB would be trying their darnest to re-create the final leg even-ness of TAR 2, but that doesn't seem to be the case these days.  Otherwise, I have no problems with the tasks in this final leg; the memory task was a knockout (with current season and past season greeters); and the use of the Rose Bowl is an iconic element of L.A. that is known around the world.

I tend to think that starting off with the bungee swing was a mistake since the order of arrival never changed. This task may have spaced out teams up to 15 minutes apart and the way the leg was structured that margin only grew.
I'm not complaining b/c I think that the most deserving team won, but although I did not like the TAR15 finale it did do a good job at keeping teams close together the whole time. Other finales of the past have done this as well. I wish they would return to structuring the finals just like another leg instead of a more scripted feel.

Offline ovalorange

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #635 on: December 14, 2010, 07:03:53 PM »
The finale was pretty boring for me. Tbh, I don't think the tasks were awfully challenging for the teams and they didn't allow the teams to overtake and become really competitive with one another.

The bungee swing was entertaining but it really just put more time between each of the teams - something I definitely don't want to see in a finale. I want to see the teams pushing themselves to beat the other team, to be seen racing neck and neck with one another. The only time that happened was in the cabs to the port. The roadblock was boring and lame, the only somewhat exciting aspect of it was when Nat forgot to put the water in the buds - and yet they still managed to leave in first with plenty of time to find a good cab driver. And I agree with Slayton, why was it done in a car park?  :cmas18  The memory challenge was okay, but I think it would have been more exciting had we been able to look at the board and try and figure some out, instead of just being shown the teams choosing the right ones or making a mistake. It was better than last seasons, but really didn't challenge either Nat and Kat or Brook and Claire. It was nothing compared to TAR12, TAR13 or TAR14's memory tasks.

What did make it exciting were the teams. They really pushed themselves and their partner to the finish line. And we got a happy ending this time around, it was a lot more joyful than our ugly Brandy/Caite session last season. :mas25

I think this finale failed to allow the trailing teams to catch up and move ahead of Nat and Kat. Once the doctors gained the small lead at the port it allowed them to just take off -  and unless they would have make a big mistake, there was no way they were going to lose.

But in saying that:

Congratulations to Nat and Kat for winning the race  :cmas9  :cmas23  :cmas16

I think WE are part of the reason for such out-of-the-way / "dull" places.  Less opportunity for crumbs of clues to fall our way.  Also, with all the helicopters that were used, production was probably limited to where they could film safely.

That said, the team bungee drop was not just a way to put time between the racers.  Each team apparently had one team member that was not comfortable with that task.  Until they started showing the mid-week pre-final promos, I wasn't sure that Nat was even going to be able to finish the race.  Jill looked mightly nervous also.  AND Brook certainly wasn't her bubbly self!!  This was a TEST of truly how much you wanted the million dollars and the support of your partner when you wavered.

As someone else mentioned, being able to pick a good taxi was also probably a portion of the race.  After a multitude of taxi rides, you should have learned to query the taxi-driver before getting in.  J/T just got into the first taxi available.  B/C had less taxi choice, but had the clarity to ask to go to a hotel.  It was clear that even if you were book smart and could answer the first question; or trivia / movie smart and could answer the last question; that the middle question was going to REQUIRE you to get internet / tourist info / other assistance to find the proper answer.

I think the memory challenge was an interesting test.  You could record all the information that you wanted about your travels and STILL fail the memory challenge.

Yes, the lead N/K had after the jump would have allowed them to win unless they made a huge mistake.  But again, there was no expectation Nat would have actually done the bungee jump or that they could have done so well at the memory task as designed.

You have some fair points there.  :cmas16 I just would have prefered the teams being close or even neck and neck with each other until the finish line. If that would have occurred, I think I would have liked the finale a lot more. Oh well, you can't have everything you wish for.  :cmaslol

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #636 on: December 14, 2010, 09:12:19 PM »
I think this finale lacked a challenge on skill. The only task that depended heavily on the racers was the memory challenge (bungee jumping was a passive task and RB was just following directions). I would have liked to see tasks such as the S15 "grab the flower" or S16 "move through cyberspace" which required lots of skill and teamwork.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline Rogue

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #637 on: December 14, 2010, 09:55:47 PM »
I think people are taking this book issue too far. I have never had to read about Don Quixote in elementary school, H.S., or college. I have heard of Don Quixote before but that question would have totally failed me as well. And the fact of the matter is that most of the people who are saying they knew the answer, that is only because they were forced to read the book at sometime in their lives. If you're never assigned to read the book for a class or if no one says you gotta read this book then chances are, unless you love to read, you're never going to pick it up.

You are leaving out the many people who have heard the music to "Man of La Mancha" in either the musical or the movie version. I bet that far exceeds the number of people who have read Cervantes. I haven't read Cervantes and bet few have,  but I saw both the musical and movie.

After I read the rogue comment above I made this comment. I subsequently discovered that theSchnauzers had about the same thought in a posting before this one.

I've never heard of "Man of La Mancha" either. The movie came out in 72 and I probably wasn't even thought of at that time. Since Nat and I are relatively close in age, this might be a movie she missed as well. I doubt Kat would have seen it also. So that leaves the play. I've never been to New York and the only plays I've ever seen have been school productions (Don Quixote was not one of them). I can appreciate the arts but my education, from elementary school through college, has not really had a focus on the arts. I will say I've heard The Impossible Dream before but I never knew where the song came from. This could be the same for both Nat and Kat.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #638 on: December 14, 2010, 11:57:21 PM »
Quote from: FLFan
B/C had less taxi choice, but had the clarity to ask to go to a hotel
There were at least 7 taxis lined up, so maybe the producers did want to see some cab-juggling. And B/C got a fair shake, all things considered: the driver to them to the Courtyard Marriott (photo source), the closest big hotel to the Rose Bowl. And Coldwater Canyon, while not the shortest route (how did he know? GPS? Experience? It's not an intuitive choice), did provide less traffic than Sunset Blvd.

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #639 on: December 15, 2010, 10:05:29 AM »

I've never heard of "Man of La Mancha" either. The movie came out in 72 and I probably wasn't even thought of at that time. Since Nat and I are relatively close in age, this might be a movie she missed as well. I doubt Kat would have seen it also. So that leaves the play. I've never been to New York and the only plays I've ever seen have been school productions (Don Quixote was not one of them). I can appreciate the arts but my education, from elementary school through college, has not really had a focus on the arts. I will say I've heard The Impossible Dream before but I never knew where the song came from. This could be the same for both Nat and Kat.

And of course, Nat & Kat went to medical school.  This means that when they went to college for the regular four-year education, they probably chose to go into medicine and may have been Pre-Med majors.  I majored in English and minored in Spanish, so I would've probably read Don Quixote.  I doubt Nat & Kat had any classes in high school or college that would've exposed them to it.  And it's very possible that they were too focused on medical studies to miss Man of La Mancha, and I'm not sure they were interested in musicals or plays anyway.  I've seen several Broadway shows, including Man of La Mancha, so maybe I just had a different educational background.  I'm also sure they'd know stuff about medicine that I wouldn't.   :cmas22

Belle Book

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #640 on: December 15, 2010, 06:47:19 PM »
Probably they knew it but were to stressed and chose to confirm it with Google anyways. I wouldn't really trust my memory if one million dollars were on the line. :lol:
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #641 on: December 15, 2010, 06:59:56 PM »
Probably they knew it but were to stressed and chose to confirm it with Google anyways. I wouldn't really trust my memory if one million dollars were on the line. :lol:

Whether they knew it or not, they definitely had to confirm it with Google. Personally, in that situation, I would have never trusted my own judgment.

Offline connayyy

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #642 on: December 15, 2010, 08:07:57 PM »

Whether they knew it or not, they definitely had to confirm it with Google. Personally, in that situation, I would have never trusted my own judgment.

I completely agreed with this...I knew the answer too but if a million dollars were on the line I would definitely confirm it. Thomas mentioned in an interview that Spanish was his second major and so he did know the answer, but since he'd never head of a "Don Quixote Studios" before, he wasn't sure and wanted to check. Nat and Kat also said in interviews that the whole leg was so stressful and they'd had such a tiring three weeks that they just didn't think of the answer.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #643 on: December 15, 2010, 09:59:03 PM »
The gap between the teams was larger than I had guessed. From the RNO interview:
RNO: Do you know how far behind you Brook & Claire finished the race?

Kat: It’s hard to tell. I think about half an hour or so.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #644 on: December 15, 2010, 10:45:06 PM »
The gap between the teams was larger than I had guessed. From the RNO interview:

But that 30 minute time frame fits the schedule......they left the gantry cranes 30 minutes behind Nat/Kat then took the same amount of time to finish from there.
Matthew 7:15

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #645 on: December 16, 2010, 10:01:01 AM »

But that 30 minute time frame fits the schedule......they left the gantry cranes 30 minutes behind Nat/Kat then took the same amount of time to finish from there.

Yeah, I thought the time difference between Nat & Kat and Brook & Claire was 15 minutes to half an hour.

Belle Book

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #646 on: December 16, 2010, 10:53:52 AM »

How do we know they left the crane 30 minutes behind Nat&Kat?

Offline Rogue

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #647 on: December 16, 2010, 05:50:27 PM »

We don't but Brook said they had a safety issue with their harness at the pier that put them behind. I'd guess maybe 15-20 minutes but I don't know. They were already third and had to wait for two teams to get to the raft before they went. But even with the harness putting them even more behind, it was just a testament as to how slow Thomas was on the float task.

Offline fairwind

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #648 on: December 17, 2010, 09:46:59 AM »

We don't but Brook said they had a safety issue with their harness at the pier that put them behind. I'd guess maybe 15-20 minutes but I don't know. They were already third and had to wait for two teams to get to the raft before they went. But even with the harness putting them even more behind, it was just a testament as to how slow Thomas was on the float task.

That's right. They waste a lot of time in waiting for the task....
My favorite team:
Rob & Brennan
Brook & Claire

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #649 on: December 17, 2010, 10:04:20 AM »

Speaking of Thomas, I think he was even slower than it seemed.  Last night, I was watching the scenes where Nat & Kat were checking the taxis, then getting in one and calling someone who had Internet.  Although these scenes were spliced in with those of Jill & Thomas finishing the task and getting into the taxi from hell, I saw Nat asking for advice -- and there was a police car in the background in most of the shots.  I think Nat had enough time to start getting help before she & Kat drove off to Quixote Studios -- and possibly before Thomas finished the Roadblock.

Belle Book