Author Topic: TAR 17 EP 12 (FINALE) "Hi. I'm sorry. I'm in a Race."  (Read 240615 times)

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
Re: TAR 17 EP 12 (FINALE) "Hi. I'm sorry. I'm in a Race."
« Reply #600 on: December 13, 2010, 03:47:55 PM »
Well, in this case, I would have had some kind of advantage (being Spanish helps, :lol: ).

However, it issomehow shocking that none of them knew who they are. I thought the docotrs were smarter than what they are? Hope not, :lol:

But, it is as if you were asked who Otelo is, or who was le Petit Prince... International literature should be somehow familiar to almost everyone, IMHO.

Offline Rogue

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #601 on: December 13, 2010, 05:17:10 PM »
I think people are taking this book issue too far. I have never had to read about Don Quixote in elementary school, H.S., or college. I have heard of Don Quixote before but that question would have totally failed me as well. And the fact of the matter is that most of the people who are saying they knew the answer, that is only because they were forced to read the book at sometime in their lives. If you're never assigned to read the book for a class or if no one says you gotta read this book then chances are, unless you love to read, you're never going to pick it up.
You don't always win the race by making the best forward moves but you make it by avoiding the huge moves that set you back. -Nat

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #602 on: December 13, 2010, 05:52:38 PM »
Yeah. Don Quixote is familiar with me (he was introduced in our high school english, and then got a role in Danooky's games in Spain :lol:) but there is no waaaay I could have solved the puzzle.
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #603 on: December 13, 2010, 06:11:51 PM »
I think people are taking this book issue too far. I have never had to read about Don Quixote in elementary school, H.S., or college. I have heard of Don Quixote before but that question would have totally failed me as well. And the fact of the matter is that most of the people who are saying they knew the answer, that is only because they were forced to read the book at sometime in their lives. If you're never assigned to read the book for a class or if no one says you gotta read this book then chances are, unless you love to read, you're never going to pick it up.
The thing is, Don Quixote is a huge epic book (way longer than the 7 Harry Potter books together), so most of the people that know the answer know it because Sancho Panza is as famous as Don Quixote itself. I wouldn't expect a non-Spanish-speaking American to know of him, though
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #604 on: December 13, 2010, 07:26:19 PM »

They're just regular people. Remember the name Sancho Panza is all they had to go by. In that situation you know what I and everybody else on this board would have done?
Exactly what the teams did, Google it.  :cmaslol

Well I really dont know what you mean by this statement. I knew all the answers when they read the questions......I would have had to get help to find the address of that studio....but the answers to the quiz was not hard for me.

In the 1950s in the US in the early day of television, lots of producers took works from classic literature and made TV programs out of them. The American TV show based on the book Don Quixote de la Mancha was called "The Cisco Kid." I dont think I ever missed an episode. The corresponding characters were Don Quixote = The Cisco Kid. and Sanch Panza = Pancho. I still have a long term friendship whom I call Pancho just because of that book/TV program.

But as someone mentioned earlier.......I was one of those kids that loved to read...still do.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 08:02:16 PM by DrRox »
Matthew 7:15

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #605 on: December 13, 2010, 07:43:08 PM »

They're just regular people. Remember the name Sancho Panza is all they had to go by. In that situation you know what I and everybody else on this board would have done?
Exactly what the teams did, Google it.  :cmaslol

Well I really dont know what you mean by this statement. I knew all the answers when they read the questions......I would have had to get help to find the address of that studio....but the answers to the quiz was not hard for me.

In the 1950s in the US in the early day of television, lots of producers took works from classic literature and made TV programs out of them. The American TV show based on the book Don Quioxte de la Mancha was called "The Cisco Kid." I dont think I ever missed an episode. The corresponding characters were Don Quixote = The Cisco Kid. and Sanch Panza = Pancho. I still have a long term friendship whom I call Pancho just because of that book/TV program.

But as someone mentioned earlier.......I was one of those kids that loved to read...still do.

I'm just glad i'm like Nat, i only knew the answer to Monroe's question! :cmaslol

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #606 on: December 13, 2010, 07:58:38 PM »
The theme of Don Quixote is about delusions.......so I immediately thought it was a great analogy....for the one team winning, the end would be a reality and the other two would be delusions...

I dont think when I was 7-8 watching The Cisco Kid that I had even heard of Don Quoxite......but probably later in HS.....made the connection.

There is a pretty cool statue of Don Quixote and Sancha Panza in Madrid.......in a square.

What the heck was the 2nd question........
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 08:03:00 PM by DrRox »

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #607 on: December 13, 2010, 08:38:37 PM »
Lastly, but not least, the story of Don Quixote was made into a successful Broadway musical "Man of La Mancha," which included a popular hit song of the mid-1960s, "(To Dream) The Impossible Dream,"," and a 1972 TV production with Peter O'Toole, Sophia Loren, and directed by Arthur Hiller. (The You Tube clip is from that 1972 production.)
-- theschnauzers

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #608 on: December 13, 2010, 08:39:10 PM »
I don't like most finales, and this one was no exception.

Other than it being completely lacking in competitiveness and drama, this is probably one of the ugliest looking finales on a visual level that I can remember.

Going to a port, a parking lot, and a dark warehouse studio is very blah to me.

Offline Rogue

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #609 on: December 13, 2010, 08:47:32 PM »

In the 1950s in the US in the early day of television, lots of producers took works from classic literature and made TV programs out of them. The American TV show based on the book Don Quioxte de la Mancha was called "The Cisco Kid." I dont think I ever missed an episode. The corresponding characters were Don Quixote = The Cisco Kid. and Sanch Panza = Pancho. I still have a long term friendship whom I call Pancho just because of that book/TV program.

There was also a cartoon in the 90s that my best friend just put me on. It was about Don Coyote and Sancho Panda. I told her I never watched this. But both Nat and Kat are in their 30s so unless there were reruns of The Cisco Kid in the 80s, which I don't remember, they wouldn't have known about that. I consider myself to be pretty smart and I like to read and there are books and specific characters that I have heard of but never read. I've only really heard of Don Quixote in passing. But we like to imagine that at some point in everyone's lives they all learn all of the same information. While there are some things we all know, when it comes to books that's something you really can't expect. You have to figure in school systems and their book lists, professors, and even classes. Most of my literature classes in college focused on short stories some of which were so boring I actually don't remember them. But as my best friend so kindly pointed out, you may not know one thing but you still know plenty of other things.
You don't always win the race by making the best forward moves but you make it by avoiding the huge moves that set you back. -Nat

Offline Vitoko

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • IQUIQUE - TAR23 LEG1
« Reply #610 on: December 13, 2010, 09:12:58 PM »
Grean Finale! :D. My thoughts.

The whole "Last man standing" and "Cheetah pants" don't know why makes me laugh it was like a relief of the racers before getting into the final leg.

It was great to see Nat and Kat in first place from the beggining till the end, but I still freak out a couple of times during the leg.

Feel really bad for her when I saw Nat crying while Thomas was waiting for her to freeze in the top of the crane (hate him at this point)

Then freak out again when Nat didn't prep the flowers correctly I though this was the moment when Jill and Thomas would out run them finishing the roadbloack first. And then again when Brook and Claire and Jill and Thomas leave the Rose Bowl while Nat was on the phone trying to solve the riddle that btw I only knew the first one the rest are still a mistery to me.

I don't know why, maybe I'm a bad person but I laugh and was glad to see Jill and Thomas get lost and having trouble with their cab driver (probably the first time I'm glad to see that happen) specially 'cause he didn't knew what the internet was and he keep saying "I have GPS" haha. if they knew at least one of the questions they would probably use it btw.

Gotta love the Greeters memory tv show task. Kat seems to have a better memory that Nat she knew when they were wrong, but getting there and leaving before anyone else was excelent. Brook and Claire seems to have more eye for what people wear during the race haha editing made it look they did it fastest. I wonder if Jill and Thomas struggle or they just gave up at that point.

I know everyone is saying that its the first time they used the greeters for the memory task but that is not completly true, I know TARLA its not the original version of the franchise but in the first season of TARLA the memory task was about the greeters and that aired first that the TAR17 was recorded. Probably an idea of the same person.

Teams have to match the pitstop greeters with the location of the pitstop represented by life sized cardboards (lame part due low budget) and put them in order from Leg 1 to Leg 12 mid point. the cardboards where mixed with random places that teams visited during the race and people.

But still the fact that producers randomly used the fact that they all were using hats to do the final task is still creative and again random and unexpected.

And finally it was 4.00 am of the morning when I get to watch the moment I was waiting: for my favorite team winning the amazing race. Finally the cursed has broken and an All Female team won the race. A team so calm and supportive to each other, so effective doing every task. A team that race against not only 10 teams but their own fears and issues, eating meat after 20 years bungee free falling from a crane with fear of heights racing been diabetes. A really great team.

This was actually a GREAT season with a GREAT finale with a GREAT team winning the prize. Can't ask for more.

Happy Holidays to everyone. A F/F Team won the amazing race, What a Christmas miracle  :cmas9

Offline thespicdatum

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #611 on: December 13, 2010, 09:16:51 PM »
From what I saw, the margin of victory for Nat and Kat was being able to answer the Marilyn Monroe movie question themselves and getting access to the internet easily. It was taxi karma once again, as Nat and Kat had a taxi driver with a cell phone who understood them! I thought it was hilarious that all taxi drivers at the Rose Bowl were apparently recent immigrants who barely understood English. Nat and Kat got through to someone on the Internet first and that made all the difference, even though they did not know the obvious answer to the first word puzzle question of Don Quixote. Getting off the plane first helped too. I wonder how Jill/Thomas allowed that to happen back in Seoul.

It was not taxi Karma. Nat and Kat had to go through many taxis asking if they have a phone or know what the clue is about and probably one who speaks good English as well. They settled on the taxi they rode and that made them win.

Unlucky Jill and Thomas, though

Offline woden

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #612 on: December 13, 2010, 09:18:06 PM »

Other than it being completely lacking in competitiveness and drama, this is probably one of the ugliest looking finales on a visual level that I can remember.

Yep.

Offline Kacper

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #613 on: December 13, 2010, 09:34:35 PM »

Yep.

Well for me season 16's and 17's were not that exciting for me. Season 15's finale (in las vegas)was interesting and had some drama as well as season 14's finale. But again for me season 15's finale was one of the most interesting finales with all the climbing, jumping, poker chip counting etc. :)
Survivor: San Juan del Sur premieres Wednesday, September 24, 2014 8/7C on CBS
The Amazing Race 25 premieres Friday, September 26, 2014 8/7C on CBS

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #614 on: December 13, 2010, 09:37:19 PM »
Well I definitely think that those 3 taxi drivers were not randomly picked.......they had to be recruited.......to be so bad......lmao

Offline ovalorange

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #615 on: December 13, 2010, 11:38:35 PM »
The finale was pretty boring for me. Tbh, I don't think the tasks were awfully challenging for the teams and they didn't allow the teams to overtake and become really competitive with one another.

The bungee swing was entertaining but it really just put more time between each of the teams - something I definitely don't want to see in a finale. I want to see the teams pushing themselves to beat the other team, to be seen racing neck and neck with one another. The only time that happened was in the cabs to the port. The roadblock was boring and lame, the only somewhat exciting aspect of it was when Nat forgot to put the water in the buds - and yet they still managed to leave in first with plenty of time to find a good cab driver. And I agree with Slayton, why was it done in a car park?  :cmas18  The memory challenge was okay, but I think it would have been more exciting had we been able to look at the board and try and figure some out, instead of just being shown the teams choosing the right ones or making a mistake. It was better than last seasons, but really didn't challenge either Nat and Kat or Brook and Claire. It was nothing compared to TAR12, TAR13 or TAR14's memory tasks.

What did make it exciting were the teams. They really pushed themselves and their partner to the finish line. And we got a happy ending this time around, it was a lot more joyful than our ugly Brandy/Caite session last season. :mas25

I think this finale failed to allow the trailing teams to catch up and move ahead of Nat and Kat. Once the doctors gained the small lead at the port it allowed them to just take off -  and unless they would have make a big mistake, there was no way they were going to lose.

But in saying that:

Congratulations to Nat and Kat for winning the race  :cmas9  :cmas23  :cmas16

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #616 on: December 14, 2010, 12:20:54 AM »
I think people are just hard to please. When the finale is exciting, the people complain that another team should have won. When a deserving team won, people will complain about how the finale is not exciting.

And when we have an exciting finale and a deserving winning team in TAR 15, people complain about the fact that there's no memory challenge and that Meghan and Cheyne are not the most well-liked team around...

:cmaslol Ahhh, people.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 12:28:24 AM by Joab »

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #617 on: December 14, 2010, 12:26:18 AM »
I liked this finale....

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #618 on: December 14, 2010, 01:26:27 AM »

There was also a cartoon in the 90s that my best friend just put me on. It was about Don Coyote and Sancho Panda. I told her I never watched this. But both Nat and Kat are in their 30s so unless there were reruns of The Cisco Kid in the 80s, which I don't remember, they wouldn't have known about that. I consider myself to be pretty smart and I like to read and there are books and specific characters that I have heard of but never read. I've only really heard of Don Quixote in passing. But we like to imagine that at some point in everyone's lives they all learn all of the same information. While there are some things we all know, when it comes to books that's something you really can't expect. You have to figure in school systems and their book lists, professors, and even classes. Most of my literature classes in college focused on short stories some of which were so boring I actually don't remember them. But as my best friend so kindly pointed out, you may not know one thing but you still know plenty of other things.

This. A thousand times this. I'd only previously heard of Don Quixote from a Simpsons episode where Homer and Marge were arguing about something or other, and Marge insisted it was Quixote. Looking at the age of the contestants, I think it would be reasonably safe to say that they would have had to read it in school, or really love classical literature to instantly get it. Maybe if they'd asked who Quixote was, I would have been able to pick out that he was a fictional character, but asking about his apprentice? Sorry, I wasn't even born when that was on TV.

Personally, I knew none of the answers, but I was more surprised that of the seemingly hundreds of taxis waiting, none of the drivers had an iPhone. Straight away, I would have been looking for google and/or wikipedia's help.

Offline Ruth

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • With all your heart!
« Reply #619 on: December 14, 2010, 01:26:53 AM »
I think people are just hard to please. When the finale is exciting, the people complain that another team should have won. When a deserving team won, people will complain about how the finale is not exciting.

And when we have an exciting finale and a deserving winning team in TAR 15, people complain about the fact that there's no memory challenge and that Meghan and Cheyne are not the most well-liked team around...

:cmaslol Ahhh, people.

LOL I SO agree with that. I'm totally not complaining about this season because it was exciting to me. (My heart was thumping in fear for something to happen to Nat and Kat, letting a team overtake them.) I only completely believed that they would win when they really appeared at the finish line. It couldn't have been a better finale, team shuffling or no team shuffling.

And I just love this season so much, from beginning to end. It's been really exciting and unpredictable at times. Three cheers for TAR 17!
TAR 26: Hayley and Blair` Mike and Rochelle` Jelani and Jenny`
Survivor 30: Jenn` Joe` Hali` Sierra`
AI 14: Jax` Clark` Joey`

Offline muffin

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #620 on: December 14, 2010, 01:37:19 AM »
10years back when I was in LA airport, took a cab driven by a Iranian driver who speaks very little English and
got me lost for the entirely 1hr. 10years now, thought thing has improved and yet you still can find cab driver who can't speak English. As English is the first language in the US, so it's a bit strange how on earth did these cab drivers can their licence. Don't they need to take some kind of test?

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #621 on: December 14, 2010, 01:57:52 AM »
Yep.
An applicant shall have the ability to communicate in English, written and spoken, as
measured by standards and procedures established by the Department.
It's section 610 here. Sections 611 and 612 are also good for a laugh.  :cmaslol

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #622 on: December 14, 2010, 03:16:30 AM »
Wait, what? Taxi drivers in USA have IPhones? :o :o *jaw drops*
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #623 on: December 14, 2010, 08:41:00 AM »
Wait, what? Taxi drivers in USA have IPhones? :o :o *jaw drops*

I've seen S'porean Taxi Drivers with iPhones even.. so why not? :cmaslol

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #624 on: December 14, 2010, 09:38:35 AM »
Wow. Just wow. Everyone's rich then. :lol: