Author Topic: TAR 17 EP 12 (FINALE) "Hi. I'm sorry. I'm in a Race."  (Read 241060 times)

Offline AmazingRace

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yup, we didn't win. Damn.
Re: TAR 17 EP 12 (FINALE) "Hi. I'm sorry. I'm in a Race."
« Reply #575 on: December 13, 2010, 06:24:47 AM »

Yeah sucks to see those lame people edited some article on wikipedia about TAR and wants to compare to those duplicate, unoriginal, miserable, cheap, and ungraceful ASIAN version. WE AMERICAN DON'T APPROVE THAT.

:cmas12

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #576 on: December 13, 2010, 07:28:28 AM »
From what I saw, the margin of victory for Nat and Kat was being able to answer the Marilyn Monroe movie question themselves and getting access to the internet easily. It was taxi karma once again, as Nat and Kat had a taxi driver with a cell phone who understood them! I thought it was hilarious that all taxi drivers at the Rose Bowl were apparently recent immigrants who barely understood English. Nat and Kat got through to someone on the Internet first and that made all the difference, even though they did not know the obvious answer to the first word puzzle question of Don Quixote. Getting off the plane first helped too. I wonder how Jill/Thomas allowed that to happen back in Seoul.

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #577 on: December 13, 2010, 07:35:10 AM »
From what I saw, the margin of victory for Nat and Kat was being able to answer the Marilyn Monroe movie question themselves and getting access to the internet easily. It was taxi karma once again, as Nat and Kat had a taxi driver with a cell phone who understood them! I thought it was hilarious that all taxi drivers at the Rose Bowl were apparently recent immigrants who barely understood English. Nat and Kat got through to someone on the Internet first and that made all the difference, even though they did not know the obvious answer to the first word puzzle question of Don Quixote. Getting off the plane first helped too. I wonder how Jill/Thomas allowed that to happen back in Seoul.

Who's Don Quixote? I still don't know.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #578 on: December 13, 2010, 07:41:18 AM »

A fictional character in English literature. Check Wiki for more.
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #579 on: December 13, 2010, 07:41:49 AM »
Congrats to Nat and Kat for being the first all-female team to win! :xmas146

Offline AmazingRace

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #580 on: December 13, 2010, 07:42:28 AM »

Yay! You're back!  :cmas9

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #581 on: December 13, 2010, 07:47:57 AM »

The lead character in Cervantes's book Man of LaMancha.......it is classic novel in Spanish literature.....but translated into many languages. Sancho Panza was his servant/squire. The theme of the work is about delusions.
Matthew 7:15

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #582 on: December 13, 2010, 08:30:12 AM »
To be fair, and it does sound better -

Congratulations to Nat and Kat for being the first all-female team to win the ORIGINAL US version of The Amazing Race! :kisses

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #583 on: December 13, 2010, 08:43:06 AM »

Yay! You're back!  :cmas9

I was missed!?!?   :faint:

Still haven't watched the episode, but it sounds great!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 09:27:04 AM by the-pr0phet »

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #584 on: December 13, 2010, 08:46:17 AM »
Anyway, the Roadblock count says Brooke and Thomas both did 7 RBs. It seems like they changed the rule to not more than 7 RBs.

Then this made me not understand one thing.. why did Jill keep going on about how Thomas will suck at the final RB.. i mean, she only had 5 RB counts... so even if she did the last one.. she'll only go up to 6 and still 1 away from limit??

If I'm not wrong, she only said that after they'd chosen Thomas for the Roadblock? The Roadblock clue only said "Who's bright enough to float" and I would assume that based on Thomas' high and mighty education, he would be the better candidate to do it. What's more, it's the last Roadblock and would matter a lot, so the choice would be Thomas by default. It wasn't until they opened up the clue and saw the part on the decoration that they realised Jill should have done it I guess...

The Roadblock rule apparently now says 7-5 is acceptable.

Apparently. Like I said they just change things and we never get a memo.  :cmaslol

Offline kiki

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #585 on: December 13, 2010, 09:24:08 AM »
I'm so happy with Nat & Kat winning! :xmas146 Isn't it funny that Tomas' famous education in the end proved to be not good enough as he didn't know a classic novel like Don Quixote? At one moment when no team could find who Santso Pantsa is I caught myself almost yelling the answer at the screen. :cmas30: 

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #586 on: December 13, 2010, 09:25:57 AM »

The lead character in Cervantes's book Man of LaMancha.......it is classic novel in Spanish literature.....but translated into many languages. Sancho Panza was his servant/squire. The theme of the work is about delusions.

:-[ Oops!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 09:56:15 AM by the-pr0phet »

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #587 on: December 13, 2010, 09:27:47 AM »
Fwiw a timestamp: it's just after two when B/C finish up at the hotel.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #588 on: December 13, 2010, 09:32:16 AM »
A big shout out to Slowhatch, Neobie, Chateau, and the others who helped solve the finale's locations and task before it aired!  :cmas51

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #589 on: December 13, 2010, 11:11:23 AM »

I'm surprised they didn't know the answer to the first question!  I knew that one right off the bat!

Belle Book

Offline AmazingRace

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #590 on: December 13, 2010, 11:27:52 AM »
I could'nt even solve any of the questions by myself to be honest.   :cmas4

I am still wondering how people can figure out the riddle in the last clue of TAR 16.  :cmas18 Must be an American thing?  :cmas5

Offline kadilahopper

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #591 on: December 13, 2010, 11:44:19 AM »
As much as I wanted Jill and Thomas to win, it all came down to quick thinking.  Jill and Thomas had been strong in that department throughout the race, but fell apart at the end.  They have no one to blame but themselves.  Nat and Kat used their noggins! Way to go ladies!!!!!!!!! When they saw that the clue was a riddle, they went through all the cab drivers till they found one that understood english and had a phone.  The moral of this story is that  calm and steady wins the race.  And the muscle in your brain is your most powerful tool.  

Offline TrueNorth

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #592 on: December 13, 2010, 12:20:56 PM »
I only knew the 7 year itch. Can't claim to know the others! Was rooting for Brooke and Claire, but Nat and Kat were my second favorite team.

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
« Reply #593 on: December 13, 2010, 12:41:57 PM »
I may be able to clear some things up.

Sancho Panza is a chatacter of Don Quijote de la Mancha, the most important book ever written in Spanish literature. They are some sort of cavaliers, and go through the Mancha -Spanish region-, helping people (Both of them are a bit crazy) and they exaggerate things a lot.

Offline milanissimo

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #594 on: December 13, 2010, 01:49:39 PM »
 :cmas9 :cmas9 Nat and Kat.. first
 :xmas146 :xmas146 Brook and Claire...second..

Great season ...and great cast....(I think 17th season is much better than 13Th 14Th 15Th 16Th seasons)

And Phil is a great liar.... :cmaslol :cmaslol :cmaslol

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #595 on: December 13, 2010, 02:55:33 PM »
Literary figures and historical figures tend to be kryptonite on the race.

It tells me a lot about the people that get cast.  I'm not shocked that none of them were familiar with Don Quixote and Sancho Panza.

Tammy & Victor are probably one of the few teams that would've gotten Don Quixote.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #596 on: December 13, 2010, 03:07:15 PM »

It tells me a lot about the people that get cast.  I'm not shocked that none of them were familiar with Don Quixote and Sancho Panza.

Tammy & Victor are probably one of the few teams that would've gotten Don Quixote.

They're just regular people. Remember the name Sancho Panza is all they had to go by. In that situation you know what I and everybody else on this board would have done?
Exactly what the teams did, Google it.  :cmaslol

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #597 on: December 13, 2010, 03:18:24 PM »

They're just regular people. Remember the name Sancho Panza is all they had to go by. In that situation you know what I and everybody else on this board would have done?

Don Quixote and Sancho Panza are as famous as Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson to me.  You don't have to be a bookworm to know of them. 

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #598 on: December 13, 2010, 03:21:14 PM »

Don Quixote and Sancho Panza are as famous as Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson to me.  You don't have to be a bookworm to know of them. 

This just goes to show you how different people are depending on their experiences. You may know book characters, but do you know NFL players? (Just an example)

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #599 on: December 13, 2010, 03:39:38 PM »

This is so very true.  Just look how much trouble the teams in S13 had distinguishing between Lenin and Stalin, much less not knowing who they were.