Author Topic: TAR 17 EP 12 (FINALE) "Hi. I'm sorry. I'm in a Race."  (Read 241020 times)

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR 17 EP 12 (FINALE) "Hi. I'm sorry. I'm in a Race."
« Reply #475 on: December 11, 2010, 02:07:49 AM »
3)   Taxi from BFB to tiny helipad next to the Catalina ferry terminal (insert name of helipad if you know it).

It is Catalina Air-Sea Terminal Heliport (http://www.airnav.com/airport/6CA3)

I have looked for historical flight information for it and for the helicopter we identified. But no luck:-(

Offline RealityFreakWill

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • WILL & JAMES AMAZING RACE 32 CHAMPIONS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #476 on: December 11, 2010, 02:25:28 AM »
I'm gonna call it now. Laugh at me all you want if I'm wrong on Sunday night! (Not playing favorites here)

THE AMAZING RACE 17 CHAMPIONS:

JILL HANEY AND THOMAS WOLFORD

SECOND PLACE:

NAT STRAND AND KAT CHANG

THIRD PLACE:

BROOK ROBERTS AND CLAIRE CHAMPLIN

Offline krabbe

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #477 on: December 11, 2010, 02:43:43 AM »
Yeah, I have a feeling it's that order, too. Seems like Nat/Kat were first to the bungee & then Phil said there's a shuffle in the final placement :cmas4

Offline AmazingRace

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yup, we didn't win. Damn.
« Reply #478 on: December 11, 2010, 03:17:03 AM »
I hope it is not a repeat of All-Stars.  :cmas13 (Even though Jill & Thomas deserves to win as well.)

Brook says that they can either be in first or last, it can go either way. Hopefully it goes the 1st way!  :reindeer

Just hope that BC can win it, or even Nat & Kat.  :cmas24

Offline TAR new fan

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #479 on: December 11, 2010, 03:21:27 AM »
 :cmas9  :cmas9

Here's a new interview w/ Phil out by TVGuide. Lots of interesting tidbits for the finale, including that there is a SURPRISE APPEARANCE by a "popular game show host", lots of tension with traffic, and definitely a memory challenge about the entire season! check it out below! **Note - I will stop reading into what he says regarding the teams, but the added tidbits about the actual challenges and the finale are interesting..!  :cmas23  :cmas23  :cmas23

And what could this mean? The memory task has long been considered a "make it or break it" task for teams, but there may be a more difficult — and literal — roadblock to overcome this time around.

**ALSO - with the game show host thing -- I am wondering if they have to play a JEOPARDY style trivia game with their iPads? Just a thought! Other game show hosts... Pat Sajak? Regis? Price is Right guy?

START OF ARTICLE AND END OF MY SPECULATION BELOW***** :)

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Amazing-Race-Finale-Keoghan-1026637.aspx

Girls, girls, girls — can they finally win The Amazing Race?

In the past 16 seasons, no all-female team has crossed the finish line first, but it seems a likely possibility this time around. Or at least that's what the promos would have you believe.

"Sure, I think there will be some disappointment [if it doesn't happen]," host Phil Keoghan tells TVGuide.com. "But at the end of the day what makes The Amazing Race work is good fair competition and it will happen when it's meant to.

"There are so many variables that come into play at this stage of the game — a bad taxi driver or a subpar performance at a Roadblock can easily cost you the $1 million," he continues. "And to be honest, another reason you haven't seen it yet is simply that sometimes it has a whole lot to do with luck."

On Sunday's finale, doctors Kat Chang and Nat Strand will face off against home-shopping hosts Brook Roberts and Claire Champlin, and dating couple Jill Haney and Thomas Wolfard. All have won at least one leg this season, with Nat and Kat, and Jill and Thomas each winning four.

"[They've] all run a tremendous race. ... Nat and Kat are always calm, cool and collected. Jill and Thomas [are] a highly competitive team who has started clicking down the stretch," Keoghan says. "Brook and Claire — they can obviously withstand a cringe-inducing watermelon smash to the face and they successfully kissed their way around the globe."

But all of their strengths could work against them when it comes down to the wire. The low-key and seemingly unflappable Nat and Kat may need to kick up their competitive drive a notch for that final push — or maybe just borrow some from Jill and Thomas. "Their competitive nature can lead to bickering and sometimes they have that whole 'men are from Mars, women are from Venus' thing going on," Keoghan says.

And while it's hard to criticize anyone who took a ricocheting watermelon to the face, Keoghan points out that energizer bunny Brook has been repeatedly picking up the slack for her teammate. "Claire has admitted that Brooke is an overachiever and during more than one occasion we've seen Claire lagging behind. They'll both need to be on the same page heading into this final leg or that could hurt them."

The finale takes the teams from Seoul to Los Angeles, where there will be bungee-jumping and the fan favorite brain-wracking memory challenge that quizzes the teams on all things big and small through the whole season.

"The final task really tests the racers determination and willingness to do whatever it takes to win," Keoghan says. "I would regard it as one of the best clutch challenges yet. And we also have a surprise appearance during this challenge by one of the most famous game show hosts of all time."

The memory task has long been considered a "make it or break it" task for teams, but there may be a more difficult — and literal — roadblock to overcome this time around.

"Look for plenty of jockeying by the [teams]," Keoghan says. "However, this time they're jockeying through the congestion of rush-hour traffic in Los Angeles. If you think you get annoyed sitting on the 405 [freeway] in Los Angeles trying to get to work imagine sitting in that same traffic with $1 million within your grasp."

And if an all-female duo doesn't beat the traffic and take home the dough Sunday, there's, as always, a chance for history to be made next season. Keoghan is currently filming the 18th installment, a preview of which will air after Sunday's finale.

"[It's going to be] another great season," he teases. "Also, don't forget, we're moving to HD as well this spring."

The Amazing Race airs Sunday at 8/7 on CBS.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 03:25:44 AM by TAR new fan »

Offline AmazingRace

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #480 on: December 11, 2010, 03:23:11 AM »
:cmas9  :cmas9

... including that there is a SURPRISE APPEARANCE by a "popular game show host"

Drew Carey of The Price is Right? Howie Mandel of Deal or No Deal?

It could be Jeff Foxworthy of "Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader?". Based on the iPad task, I think it follows the Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader style.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 03:31:08 AM by AmazingRace »

Offline Rogue

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #481 on: December 11, 2010, 04:02:48 AM »
Yeah, I have a feeling it's that order, too. Seems like Nat/Kat were first to the bungee & then Phil said there's a shuffle in the final placement :cmas4

Shuffle in final placement doesn't necessarily mean that the first team is going to lose it's spot. He didn't say shuffle in total placement. I think this would be giving away too much. The second and third place teams can flip back and forth without effecting the first place team. We do know that Nat and Kat are first to bungee but we don't know if a placement exchange happens before then. We do know that Brook and Claire question their position going to the mat but we don't know what position they were in going into the final task. But since we do know Thomas and Jill are right behind Nat and Kat, it is possible traffic will cause Thomas and Jill to leap in front. If we go back to Brook and Claire questioning their position, it could be possible traffic takes them out of first place.
You don't always win the race by making the best forward moves but you make it by avoiding the huge moves that set you back. -Nat

Offline zaraice

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #482 on: December 11, 2010, 05:31:30 AM »
I'm gonna call it now. Laugh at me all you want if I'm wrong on Sunday night! (Not playing favorites here)

SECOND PLACE:

NAT STRAND AND KAT CHANG

THIRD PLACE:

You know, with all the new interviews by Phil that keep coming up, I feel that J/T being winners becomes a very likely possibility. Not only that, the over-emphasis on FF winners by the promos, and the lack of any footage of J/T in the foot (or cab) race down the stretch in the promos, seem to point towards J/T. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed and hoping N/K will win, but I'm not keeping my hopes too high anymore.

Offline LoveRocked

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yoo Jae Suk Running Man <33333333
« Reply #483 on: December 11, 2010, 06:05:08 AM »
:cmas9  :cmas9

It could be Jeff Foxworthy of "Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader?". Based on the iPad task, I think it follows the Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader style.

That's right.. I think Are you smarter than a fifth grade style like Amazing Race for based IPad task.. I think It's Jeff Foxworthy I think so.. and I think I feel gut First : Nat/Kat, Second Jill/Thomas, third: Brook/Claire..
I really wish we could stay longer in the countries we visit, but I've been lucky to have visited most of them before, because I've done a tremendous amount of travel. - Phil Keoghan

The Amazing Race 22-23 is coming soon!

Offline milanissimo

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #484 on: December 11, 2010, 06:17:12 AM »

SECOND PLACE:

NAT STRAND AND KAT CHANG

THIRD PLACE:

You know, with all the new interviews by Phil that keep coming up, I feel that J/T being winners becomes a very likely possibility. Not only that, the over-emphasis on FF winners by the promos, and the lack of any footage of J/T in the foot (or cab) race down the stretch in the promos, seem to point towards J/T. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed and hoping N/K will win, but I'm not keeping my hopes too high anymore.

Unfortunately,reading new interview..  I think you're right....Jill and Thomas will win ..this season....(I return to my original ideas)
and Unfortunately I think that Nat and Kat lose because of BAD  taxi  driver :cmas4 :cmas4

« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 07:27:29 AM by milanissimo »

Offline AmazingRace

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #485 on: December 11, 2010, 06:24:26 AM »
Woah Woah Woah! Hold onto your hopes people. There is always hope!  :cmas16 :cmas17

Offline krabbe

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #486 on: December 11, 2010, 06:29:52 AM »

Shuffle in final placement doesn't necessarily mean that the first team is going to lose it's spot. He didn't say shuffle in total placement. I think this would be giving away too much. The second and third place teams can flip back and forth without effecting the first place team. We do know that Nat and Kat are first to bungee but we don't know if a placement exchange happens before then. We do know that Brook and Claire question their position going to the mat but we don't know what position they were in going into the final task. But since we do know Thomas and Jill are right behind Nat and Kat, it is possible traffic will cause Thomas and Jill to leap in front. If we go back to Brook and Claire questioning their position, it could be possible traffic takes them out of first place.

Only people who have been analyzing the previews & reading the speculations know that Nat/Kat arrived first at the bungee task, though.

Here's what I think will happen in the final leg: the teams leave the memory task within minutes of each other, get stuck in traffic, & Brook/Claire's taxi driver decides to take another route which separates them from the others, hence the "we could be last or first" comment. Tom/Jill check in first (gut feeling from interview & preview) because of a good taxi.

I'm still hoping my gut feeling is wrong, though. Nat/Kat for the win!!

Offline Ruth

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • With all your heart!
« Reply #487 on: December 11, 2010, 06:56:39 AM »

SECOND PLACE:

NAT STRAND AND KAT CHANG

THIRD PLACE:

Yeah, I agree on that! Phil's interviews keep making me think that we're gonna get disappointed at the end.

"Sure, I think there will be some disappointment [if it doesn't happen]," host Phil Keoghan tells TVGuide.com. "But at the end of the day what makes The Amazing Race work is good fair competition and it will happen when it's meant to.

It seems like he's already trying to "console" all of us and tell us to just wait for the season when an all-female team is meant to win.

Man... But he's making the finale sound so exciting. Come on, Monday, please come!
TAR 26: Hayley and Blair` Mike and Rochelle` Jelani and Jenny`
Survivor 30: Jenn` Joe` Hali` Sierra`
AI 14: Jax` Clark` Joey`

NoluckBoston

« Reply #488 on: December 11, 2010, 07:00:47 AM »
Still not seeing a confessional for T/J makes me think they win. Why would not show them? To excited

Now with Phil's interview it seems like this is how it will get edited. Cab jockeying put T/J behind N/K. N/K get a helicopter first, padding there lead.  They probably get caught up at the Road Block and there is more tense cab jockeying and this is where we see T/J getting directions or calling for a cab at the TV repair shop. Making it tense and wondering who will win???

I loved Nat and Kat, but Thomas and Jill did play a good game. All three deserve to win, but there will only be one winner and luck will determine it.

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #489 on: December 11, 2010, 07:35:27 AM »
:cmas9  :cmas9

That's right.. I think Are you smarter than a fifth grade style like Amazing Race for based IPad task.. I think It's Jeff Foxworthy I think so.. and I think I feel gut First : Nat/Kat, Second Jill/Thomas, third: Brook/Claire..

Game show host - Bob Barker, come on down!

Do we know any game show hosts linked to the Tournament of Rose Parade?

Alternatively - Alex Trebeck.  The iPad challenge could be a Jeopardy type game.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 03:05:21 PM by gator27 »

Offline em_dee

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #490 on: December 11, 2010, 09:25:38 AM »

SECOND PLACE:

NAT STRAND AND KAT CHANG

THIRD PLACE:

After reading the latest Phil interviews and the fact that we have yet to see a post-race confessional shot of J/T, I agree with your post :cmas13. However, since this is a spoiler forum, can you at least share what made you say this with such conviction? It seems as if you know something that we don't...teehee..Thanks  :cmas16

BTW, this is my very first post ever. Been lurking here and got hooked since ep7 of this season. Last time I got hooked and completed watching a whole season was TAR5. I dunno what is it with TAR17 that got me this hooked and obsessed again (aside from Nat and Kat of course who had just been so amazing and lovable throughout the race plus the fact that their profession is something close to my heart... :cmas4 i so wanted them to win...suddenly, i'm not too excited for the finale anymore :cmas13)

:cmas26 Advanced happy holidays guys. The work you've done here is just amazing.  :cmas9

Offline Snooky

• Beware of Spooks!
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Online Reality Games Yuniverse
« Reply #491 on: December 11, 2010, 09:31:21 AM »

SECOND PLACE:

NAT STRAND AND KAT CHANG

THIRD PLACE:

LOL, this is my gut feeling but I never want this to happen.

Offline AmazingRace

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #492 on: December 11, 2010, 09:31:58 AM »
:bigwelcome Welcome to RFF em_dee!   :MC: :HH:

Offline em_dee

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #493 on: December 11, 2010, 09:37:53 AM »
:bigwelcome Welcome to RFF em_dee!   :MC: :HH:

gee thanks  :cmas27

Offline graytex

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #494 on: December 11, 2010, 09:43:20 AM »
"Are you smarter than a 5th grader" and "Deal or No Deal" I believe are both NBC shows, so you can count those two out.

"The Price is Right" is CBS and "Jeopardy" and "Wheel of Fortune" are both syndicated.  Those 3 seem the most likely.

Offline Snooky

• Beware of Spooks!
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Online Reality Games Yuniverse
« Reply #495 on: December 11, 2010, 09:45:18 AM »
"Are you smarter than a 5th grader" and "Deal or No Deal" I believe are both NBC shows, so you can count those two out.

"The Price is Right" is CBS and "Jeopardy" and "Wheel of Fortune" are both syndicated.  Those 3 seem the most likely.
Are you Smarter than a 5th Grader is actually Fox. (If I remember correctly)

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #496 on: December 11, 2010, 09:46:55 AM »

"The Price is Right" is CBS and "Jeopardy" and "Wheel of Fortune" are both syndicated.  Those 3 seem the most likely.
Are you Smarter than a 5th Grader is actually Fox. (If I remember correctly)

It's developed by Fox Broadcasting but they syndicate it. I don't see it on Fox in my viewing area for example.
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline connayyy

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #497 on: December 11, 2010, 09:53:46 AM »

SECOND PLACE:

NAT STRAND AND KAT CHANG

THIRD PLACE:

I completely agree with this. Everything points to J/T at this point.

At first I thought that the emphasis on FF winners could only mean that we would finally see an all-female team win, because why would they set us up for disappointment? But the interviews by Phil suggest that they're trying to ease our disappointment by reminding us that the most deserving team winning is what's important.

Still hoping to see a Nat & Kat win, but right now I'd say the probability of J/T winning is about 60%.

Offline Rogue

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #498 on: December 11, 2010, 10:09:02 AM »

Only people who have been analyzing the previews & reading the speculations know that Nat/Kat arrived first at the bungee task, though.

Here's what I think will happen in the final leg: the teams leave the memory task within minutes of each other, get stuck in traffic, & Brook/Claire's taxi driver decides to take another route which separates them from the others, hence the "we could be last or first" comment. Tom/Jill check in first (gut feeling from interview & preview) because of a good taxi.

I'm still hoping my gut feeling is wrong, though. Nat/Kat for the win!!

When I saw the first preview after the show, I noticed that the rope was let down on the left side of Thomas and Jill and still rolled up on their right. Then when I saw Brook or Claire's pink shirt in another preview I thought they were leaving and Nat and Kat were bringing up the rear. The sleuths here definitely pointed out that Nat and Kat had been at that spot. Either way it is information that we have.

I know the no confessionals from Jill and Thomas are leaving people to think they won but I don't remember one from Nat and Kat either. When they were at the final location they did talk about a previous challenge but I don't think we have anything from them otherwise. Also in the first preview after the show, when Nat and Kat weren't shown in the helicopter or on the bridge, I thought something had happened to them.

That being said what does a memory challenge have to do with determination and willingness to win? Either there is a final task after the memory task or Phil is talking about traffic. But the things that are a bit of a concern are why would Nat be calling someone in their cab? And what are Thomas and Jill doing in what could be a Mitsubishi store? Maybe they're not lost.

I thought all the hype was going to lead to a let down too. But I do realize that Phil is not going to really give us anything either. If we read between the lines we can get things wrong. Like I suggested, placement change can be from third to second. We could all read that statement and say oh look whatever team is in first but Phil said there will be a placement change so they're not going to win. I'm not sure if that wouldn't be considered too easy to guess. We also don't know when this placement change occurs either. I have this sneaking feeling that Thomas and Jill do manage to somehow get in there first (maybe his Notre Dame education will finally come into play) but I'm going to still hope for a Nat and Kat or Brook and Claire win.
You don't always win the race by making the best forward moves but you make it by avoiding the huge moves that set you back. -Nat

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #499 on: December 11, 2010, 10:34:54 AM »
Phil is a very smart man. He's had 17 seasons to perfect it, and he knows exactly what to say to make people think he's given it away, without giving anything away.

I wouldn't be reading anything into Phil's interviews about the finale. All of what he said, to me, reads as "It's a good episode, you should watch it"

PS- Since the number of Fast Forwards was cut down to 1, the only team to win without the use of the FF is Tammy and Victor, in a season where the Fast Forward stayed unused.