Author Topic: TAR 17 EP 12 (FINALE) "Hi. I'm sorry. I'm in a Race."  (Read 242009 times)

Offline Rogue

• RFF Jr. Member
Re: TAR 17 EP 12 (FINALE) "Hi. I'm sorry. I'm in a Race."
« Reply #450 on: December 10, 2010, 04:37:30 PM »
I would like to touch on a point that has been talked about a few times in this thread.  People have been mentioning the roadblock limit that may be in effect.  A lot of people ( mostly bias N/K fans) think that Nat and Kat have an advantage due to the fact they both only did 5 roadblocks.  While this may be an advantage that either of them can do the final roadblock (assuming the other teams don't have a choice of who does it) I don't believe it is that big of an advantage.

The rules for a roadblock is that the teams must read the title of the roadblock.  Then, BEFORE reading the description, the team must decide who will do the challenge.  The title of the roadblock doesn't necessarily give away all too much information about the challenge.  Just as Claire alluded to in a previous episode, she always chooses the hardest roadblocks accidentally.  So overall, I do not think the roadblock limit will be that much of an advantage to Nat and Kat.

I think its anyones race right now and I think many of us are over speculating this finale based off the editing and promos.  However, I love the conversation regardless of how much we may be overthinking it! :xmas146

I am a Nat and Kat fan but I am also a Brook and Claire fan, a little less than Nat and Kat though. You do make a good point but at the same time there is the issue of who has to do what when we look at who has done what in terms of Roadblocks.

In the case of Jill and Thomas, out of the 11 Roadblocks thus far, selling the sunglasses and mushing the dogs have been the least physical and mental tasks, both which were done by Jill. Jill is at five and I think the most she's been challenged thus far is putting together the rickshaw. So is she bad at puzzles and figuring stuff out? With Claire and her five, the only two where there was no malfunction or problem with her was the rappel/find a ring and the dog sled Roadblocks. Speaking of the rappel Roadblock, which was also done by Jill, the only part that was remotely difficult was the finding the ring if you're not afraid of heights. However with Nat and Kat, while they have done the one you one me thing, Kat can sometimes move very slowly like when she had to sell sunglasses (though everyone but Brook and Michael struggled with this one), find the ring, and match the headband. But even though they have to pick before doing the task, they at least have an option. The energy and physical fitness we see in Brook is not there in Claire. The strength and possibly the mental focus we see in Thomas, we don't really get that in Jill. Nat and Kat are almost equally matched and you can almost expect the same results from one that you get from the other. You're right that anything could happen and this could definitely be anyone's race but this is just based off my own thoughts and what I've seen on the show. I tend to overthink things as well.  :cmas22

Also in terms of Claire and her getting bad roadblocks, as far as that last one is concerned, she must have not heard the term peckish before. I'll give her the other ones.

You don't always win the race by making the best forward moves but you make it by avoiding the huge moves that set you back. -Nat

Offline tarobbsessed24

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #451 on: December 10, 2010, 05:20:32 PM »
Here it is:

I think the scene in question is the one I copied above.  It's not from LA.

when thomas says "this is gorgeuos i see someone wearing pink, with a similar hair style as brooke   :cmastree :D

Offline SkyWriter9

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #452 on: December 10, 2010, 06:09:38 PM »
I would like to touch on a point that has been talked about a few times in this thread.  People have been mentioning the roadblock limit that may be in effect.  A lot of people ( mostly bias N/K fans) think that Nat and Kat have an advantage due to the fact they both only did 5 roadblocks.  While this may be an advantage that either of them can do the final roadblock (assuming the other teams don't have a choice of who does it) I don't believe it is that big of an advantage.

The rules for a roadblock is that the teams must read the title of the roadblock.  Then, BEFORE reading the description, the team must decide who will do the challenge.  The title of the roadblock doesn't necessarily give away all too much information about the challenge.  Just as Claire alluded to in a previous episode, she always chooses the hardest roadblocks accidentally.  So overall, I do not think the roadblock limit will be that much of an advantage to Nat and Kat.

I think its anyones race right now and I think many of us are over speculating this finale based off the editing and promos.  However, I love the conversation regardless of how much we may be overthinking it! :xmas146

This is true, but teams can sometimes figure out some other way what the roadblock is (for example, by seeing their surroundings/what other teams are doing.) So I think it could be an advantage, but that's a good point you're making.

Offline red_sox

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #453 on: December 10, 2010, 06:11:44 PM »

This is probably just me being silly... but did anyone else notice the varying shades to the air & ocean in these photos? It seems unlikely, but the air is most definitely clearer in B/C's photo than in N/K. Makes me think that it may have been a somewhat foggy morning but cleared quickly...

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #454 on: December 10, 2010, 06:21:33 PM »

This is probably just me being silly... but did anyone else notice the varying shades to the air & ocean in these photos? It seems unlikely, but the air is most definitely clearer in B/C's photo than in N/K. Makes me think that it may have been a somewhat foggy morning but cleared quickly...

I'm blaming the discrepancy on the photographer
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline furybaby

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #455 on: December 10, 2010, 06:38:45 PM »
Hmmm... all suggestions about who will win is great and fantastic
some involves reverse-physcology, saying that B/C won BECAUSE they were featured
and people would THINK they are last.
However, I think the situation is very hyped right now, you can feel it in the flow~!
I'm going o sit back (bounce around maybe...) and wait for the finale~!

BROOKE AND CLAIRE FOR TAR 17~!
Imperfection is beautiful.

Offline SkyWriter9

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #456 on: December 10, 2010, 07:26:43 PM »

I know people who grew up by the ocean, and they said the ocean gets darker when there is an approaching storm. Any chance we'd be able to get the weather for that day?

Offline connayyy

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #457 on: December 10, 2010, 07:34:04 PM »

I actually mentioned this a few pages ago. It turns out that in June (which is when TAR 17 was filmed), L.A. has "June Gloom" where the mornings are darker, as the picture indicates. That's probably what it is, so it just backs up what we know about N/K being the first to do the bungee task.

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #458 on: December 10, 2010, 07:36:14 PM »
One thing I have learned in my time watching the Race is that one should not over-analyze data. I know that I myself tend to do so, but I know from personal experience that it can lead to disappointment!

You have a point there.  We shouldn't really over-analyze things.  Although I'm still so excited at the prospect of an all-female team winning!  I sure hope it's Nat & Kat!

GO NAT & KAT!

Belle Book

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #459 on: December 10, 2010, 07:58:56 PM »

I know people who grew up by the ocean, and they said the ocean gets darker when there is an approaching storm. Any chance we'd be able to get the weather for that day?

From the National Weather Service for Los Angeles Airport for June 2010 ( A few days before and after too):

CXUS55 KLOX 011655
CF6LAX
PRELIMINARY LOCAL CLIMATOLOGICAL DATA (WS FORM: F-6)

STATION:   LOS ANGELES INTL AIRPORT CA
                                          MONTH:     JUNE
                                          YEAR:      2010
                                          LATITUDE:   33 55 N
                                          LONGITUDE: 118 24 W

TEMPERATURE IN F:       :PCPN:    SNOW:  WIND      :SUNSHINE: SKY     :PK WND
================================================================================
1   2   3   4   5  6A  6B    7    8   9   10  11  12  13   14  15   16   17  18
                                     12Z  AVG MX 2MIN
DY MAX MIN AVG DEP HDD CDD  WTR  SNW DPTH SPD SPD DIR MIN PSBL S-S WX    SPD DR
================================================================================

12  70  60  65  -1   0   0 0.00  0.0    0  5.9 16 250   M    M   6        23 250
13  68  60  64  -2   1   0 0.00  0.0    0  7.2 18 270   M    M   9 8      21 270
14  69  59  64  -2   1   0 0.00  0.0    0  7.6 17 260   M    M   7 18     23 270
15  72  61  67   1   0   2 0.00  0.0    0  6.5 15 250   M    M   4 18     20 260
16  70  61  66   0   0   1 0.00  0.0    0  8.4 17 280   M    M   5        23 240
17  70  60  65  -2   0   0 0.00  0.0    0  6.4 17 260   M    M   5 8      21 270

SM 2001 1742        15   8    T      0.0 209.9          M      199
AV 69.0 60.1                               7.0 FASTST   M    M   7    MAX(MPH)
                                 MISC ---->  # 21 270               # 26  260

It's kind of hard to read because the columns don't line up, but the bottom line is that June 15th was a fairly typical day. High 72 (22C) Low 61 (16C), winds not especially fast - unless you're bungy jumping! No rain and the 18 in the weather column means there was some fog and haze at some point during the day. That goes along with the June Gloom analysis.

Storms are pretty unusual in Los Angeles in June. They have a dry season from late May to early September when they get little if any rain. The month of June 2010 had a trace of rain on the 8th and that's it.

Offline TAR new fan

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #460 on: December 10, 2010, 08:13:57 PM »
Thanks to jayruh 1021 for finding the title!!

ROUTE SUMMARY: Upcoming Episodes

EP12: Seoul, South Korea to Los Angeles, CA (USA)

Film Date: JUNE 15
Air Date: DEC 12

Leg Route/Tasks:

ROUTE INFO: Fly to Los Angeles, CA (USA); travel by taxi to Vincent Thomas Bridge (east of LAX)
EVIDENCE: Two teams (?) spotted on flight from Seoul to Los Angeles 6/15; production seen exiting LAX around 8:00am (Source 1), (Source 2), (Source 3); team in taxi traveling on eastbound 105 (just east of Sepulveda) on promo after EP11 (Source)
TIMING: Taxi on highway between 10:21 and 10:44am (Source)

ROUTE INFO: Board helicopter at Vincent Thomas Bridge; travel to bungee crane task here
EVIDENCE: Overheard phone call (Source); promo after EP11 (Source); photo ID (Source 1), (Source 2)
TIMING: Brook/Claire arrive at helipad between 12:25 and 12:49pm (Source 1), (Source 2)

ROUTE INFO: Bungee crane task here
EVIDENCE: Promo after EP11 (Source)
TIMING: Nat/Kat bungee first; Brook/Claire and Jill/Thomas at task simultaneously, but Jill/Thomas jump first; all teams possibly 5-10 minutes apart (Source 1), (Source 2), (Source 3)

ROUTE INFO: Travel by helicopter to Rose Bowl in Pasadena
EVIDENCE: Promo, photo ID(Source)
TIMING: Nat/Kat arrive at Rose Bowl between 12:56 and 12:59pm (Source)

ROUTE INFO: Indoor iPad memory task en route from Pasadena to Beverly Hills?
EVIDENCE: Promo after EP11 (Source 1), (Source 2); Brook/Claire in taxi between Pasadena area and Beverly Hills area (Source)

FINISH LINE: Travel by taxi to Greystone Mansion in Beverly Hills
EVIDENCE: Promo after EP11 (Source), Photo ID (Source)

Winners: UNKNOWN

TIMING: Brook/Claire 5 minutes away from Greystone Mansion sometime after 2:18pm (Source)

Question about leg 2 - quoted here - taking helicopter from Vincent Thomas bridge to the bungee jumping location.
I thought they take the taxi straight from LAX past Vincent Thomas bridge to the bungee jumping location and only take the helicopter AFTER they do the bungee jumping?

It is only an 11 minute car ride from VT bridge to Port of Long Beach, where the bungee jumping is. So wouldn't it make sense to just continue on with the cab? Why include the helicopter at that point? Or is this where they switched to a smaller airport (I know there was some discussion about Torrance or Hawthorne?) grabbed the helicopter, and then went to VT Bridge? Confused why JT would be at the ports in a taxi then..

Also, I am a non-LA'er so please forgive me, but I was checking on googlemaps to try to figure out the route, and am confused.
105 east of Sepulveda - as in the Sepulveda near Burbank? If so, seems weird that in the 1st leg they would be going from LAX to 105 east by Sepulveda then down to VT BRidge. They are all different directions. Do we mean that they went East after getting out at LAX on 105, then hung South on 110 to get to the VT Bridge?  I think this is what another poster said, right?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 08:25:16 PM by TAR new fan »

Offline TAR new fan

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #461 on: December 10, 2010, 08:28:59 PM »
Then they do the swing for 20 minutes.

And then a 30 mile flight to the Rose Bowl.  If the helicopter goes 100 mph it will get there in 18 min.

So if they move without wasting time we could expect them to land in Pasadena at:

low est  hi est
LAX                    10:21    10:45
arrive at helios  10:40     11:10
TO                     10:50     11:30
arrive at crane  10:54     11:36
finis bungee      11:14     12:06
TO                     11:19     12:16
ar Pasadena     11:37     12:46

Sorry to be slow, but why are we assuming they took the helicopter to arrive at bungee jump and just not taken it after? i missed that part. thanks!

Offline red_sox

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #462 on: December 10, 2010, 08:34:41 PM »
This might be nothing... but...

In the preview I'm pretty sure we see both B/C and N/K in the final car drive to the finish line. However we only see J/T in the car near the airport.

In previous seasons we haven't always seen third place on their way to the finish matt, often seeing them simply jog to the line after the runner up speeches. I think maybe we're going to have an implied car race between B/C and N/K to the finish line... with J/T falling behind and running to the finish line after the runner-up speeches.

Gut tells me it's N/K in first. But I think I'm onto something with the car thing...

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #463 on: December 10, 2010, 08:48:56 PM »
I wont presume to answer for Chateau on his thinking on the helicopters around Long Beach........he can do it quite well by himself......

But I will say that Sepulveda is all over LA, and no rhyme or reason to why a street is called it.....seems like every town down there has their own Sepulveda
Matthew 7:15

Offline TAR new fan

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #464 on: December 10, 2010, 08:49:57 PM »
have we ever determined the background red and black sign  in this shot? It is bugging me. It looks like a movie theater or theater marquis of some sort.
 Must.piece.together.before.finale. (obsessed? me?)   :cmas51  :cmas51  :cmas51   :cmas50  :cmas50  :cmas50

Offline CrazyMonkey

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #465 on: December 10, 2010, 08:54:21 PM »
I have looked at this in many different ways. People are not sure about what positions people will be in come the finish line. I think the order will be:

1. Brook/Claire
2. Jill/Thomas
3. Nat/Kat

Jill and Thomas come from California so they probably have a knowledge of the area. Brook and Claire look unsure about where they are but I think they may be ahead. I think the reason why Nat and Kat are happy in the cab is because it is after the bungee jumping challenge and Nat was able to do it pretty quickly despite being scared.

Who knows about the result though, anyone could win!

Offline TAR new fan

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #466 on: December 10, 2010, 08:56:10 PM »
I wont presume to answer for Chateau on his thinking on the helicopters around Long Beach........he can do it quite well by himself......

But I will say that Sepulveda is all over LA, and no rhyme or reason to why a street is called it.....seems like every town down there has their own Sepulveda

ahh.. that might explain it. Otherwise, I was thinking this might just be a shot of them on the way back from Rosebowl to the memory task (somewhere near this "Sepulveda" on 105), then memory task to Greystone via Cherokee Lane as previously discussed.

Offline TAR new fan

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #467 on: December 10, 2010, 08:59:11 PM »
I have looked at this in many different ways. People are not sure about what positions people will be in come the finish line. I think the order will be:

1. Brook/Claire
2. Jill/Thomas
3. Nat/Kat

Jill and Thomas come from California so they probably have a knowledge of the area. Brook and Claire look unsure about where they are but I think they may be ahead. I think the reason why Nat and Kat are happy in the cab is because it is after the bungee jumping challenge and Nat was able to do it pretty quickly despite being scared.

Who knows about the result though, anyone could win!

ah, J/T may be from Marina del Ray, but they are transplants! They only moved there a year or so ago from Chicago, it says in their bio, so they probably aren't as familiar w/ it as.... N/K! N/K went to UCLA Med school there, Kat is originally from Santa Monica, and it is possible that both N and K did their residencies in LA too!  :xmas146  :xmas146

gosh this is so confusing. Maybe I should just sit back and enjoy the finale and stop with the speculation. :)  :cmas22

Offline furybaby

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #468 on: December 10, 2010, 09:12:32 PM »
Must.piece.together.before.finale. (obsessed? me?)

Pffft. OF COURSE NOT :)
Prefer to call it DEDICATED <33   :cmas9
Imperfection is beautiful.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #469 on: December 10, 2010, 09:25:27 PM »

ahh.. that might explain it. Otherwise, I was thinking this might just be a shot of them on the way back from Rosebowl to the memory task (somewhere near this "Sepulveda" on 105), then memory task to Greystone via Cherokee Lane as previously discussed.

Sepulveda is family name of some early settlers of the LA basin.......seems they were movers and shakers, so a lot of things got named after them....

"Sepulveda Boulevard, a street in Los Angeles listed in the Guinness Book of Records as the longest municipal street in the world, stretching from the north end of the San Fernando Valley to the south end of San Pedro, California, a distance of about 43 miles."  from Wikipedia.
Matthew 7:15

Offline Minnesota_Friend

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #470 on: December 11, 2010, 12:50:52 AM »
 :xmas49 Hello again. This is your long-time Admiring Lurker. You guys are amazing. But I still wonder about a show clip that you haven't discussed yet: Nat & Kat's final words on Episode 11 Korea. I know TPTB like teams to forecast victory, but Nat's final words & demeanor don't seem to fit the usual pattern. To whit:

"It's an honor to be the first all-female team to win The Amazing Race." Present tense verb.

I know you've analyzed the still shots from this frame, but the word choice and Nat's tone of voice are what caught my attention. Very un-TAR-like. I'm curious about whether she's congratulating Brook & Claire, or stating the obvious (with JT winning), or spoiling their own finish. Thoughts, anyone? (I need to rewatch this episode...CBS, YouTube, Hulu, whatever....)

- Minnesota_Friend, aka Admiring Lurker  :xmas49 :xmas49 :cmas17

Offline eddiethejet

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #471 on: December 11, 2010, 01:14:15 AM »
ok this is kinda late for this, but we were mentioning katie and rachel's facial expressions as to predicting who would win.  anyways, what you need to do is download the torrent for episode 11 or simply watch it online.  when they preview the finale, they "run down" the final mat of everyone clapping...if you continuously press pause and play, you will see that to the right of phil, ron and tony are the farthest and next to them are katie and rachel...katie and rachel both have a smile on their face.

Offline Levi Rinno

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #472 on: December 11, 2010, 01:16:39 AM »
That's because that was pretaped ahead of time, before anyone arrived.

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #473 on: December 11, 2010, 01:22:13 AM »
:xmas49 Hello again. This is your long-time Admiring Lurker. You guys are amazing. But I still wonder about a show clip that you haven't discussed yet: Nat & Kat's final words on Episode 11 Korea. I know TPTB like teams to forecast victory, but Nat's final words & demeanor don't seem to fit the usual pattern. To whit:

"It's an honor to be the first all-female team to win The Amazing Race." Present tense verb.

I know you've analyzed the still shots from this frame, but the word choice and Nat's tone of voice are what caught my attention. Very un-TAR-like. I'm curious about whether she's congratulating Brook & Claire, or stating the obvious (with JT winning), or spoiling their own finish. Thoughts, anyone? (I need to rewatch this episode...CBS, YouTube, Hulu, whatever....)

- Minnesota_Friend, aka Admiring Lurker  :xmas49 :xmas49 :cmas17

Sorry, but I think she says it WOULD be an honor...so no lead there.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #474 on: December 11, 2010, 01:57:27 AM »
I have to admit that the order of events I proposed could be switched up a bit and still fit our known evidence.

Here is another route that  teams could take: 

1)   Take a taxi from LAX to the *** landmark in Long Beach.
2)   Taxi from *** landmark to the BFB container shipyard (made up name).  Complete Bungee Swing challenge.
3)   Taxi from BFB to tiny helipad next to the Catalina ferry terminal (insert name of helipad if you know it).
4)   Ride helicopter to the Rose Bowl.  Decorate float.
5)  Take a taxi from the Rose Bowl to xyz Studio in Studio City.  Solve mental puzzle.
6)  Take a taxi from xyz Studio to Greystone Mansion.  Finish Mat.

Which means they had to find three things in Long Beach/San Pedro:  Three chances to get seriously lost, I know from personal experience .

Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders