Author Topic: TAR 17 EP 12 (FINALE) "Hi. I'm sorry. I'm in a Race."  (Read 240638 times)

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
Re: TAR 17 EP 12 (FINALE) "Hi. I'm sorry. I'm in a Race."
« Reply #125 on: December 06, 2010, 08:56:13 PM »
It's a 23 minute drive from LAX to the helio pickup location:  Google Maps

Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #126 on: December 06, 2010, 09:03:26 PM »
Quote from: 2old4tech
maybe one of its former lives
Not a former life, but a former paint job. Check out this page, and esp. this post:
Quote from: ABC7 Los Angeles
KNBC's helicopter is owned by Coastal Helicopters and is leased to them. Coastal helicopters is partially owned by KABC's pilot/reporter, Scott Reiff. KNBC's helicopter doesn't even have an NBC4 paintjob, its just a plain white A-Star.
(Also on page 2 of the forum there are some neat pictures of the helo video gear).

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #127 on: December 06, 2010, 09:11:33 PM »
The first leg of the helicopter is 5 miles to the bungee swing.  Call that 5 minutes long since it is short.

Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #128 on: December 06, 2010, 09:20:23 PM »
Then they do the swing for 20 minutes.

And then a 30 mile flight to the Rose Bowl.  If the helicopter goes 100 mph it will get there in 18 min.

So if they move without wasting time we could expect them to land in Pasadena at:

low est  hi est
LAX                    10:21    10:45
arrive at helios  10:40     11:10
TO                     10:50     11:30
arrive at crane  10:54     11:36
finis bungee      11:14     12:06
TO                     11:19     12:16
ar Pasadena     11:37     12:46

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #129 on: December 06, 2010, 09:24:49 PM »
Quote from: 2old4tech
maybe one of its former lives
Not a former life, but a former paint job. Check out this page, and esp. this post:
Quote from: ABC7 Los Angeles
KNBC's helicopter is owned by Coastal Helicopters and is leased to them. Coastal helicopters is partially owned by KABC's pilot/reporter, Scott Reiff. KNBC's helicopter doesn't even have an NBC4 paintjob, its just a plain white A-Star.
(Also on page 2 of the forum there are some neat pictures of the helo video gear).

Slowhatch, you always find the good stuff.  So why does this chopper have Gary Power's fin number?

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #130 on: December 06, 2010, 09:26:03 PM »
I was going to say that it is possible they used the TV station helicopter to film the other three........but I think you guys beat me to it.
Matthew 7:15

Offline .Destiny

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #131 on: December 06, 2010, 09:31:16 PM »
So, because I've watched the promo/preview like a million times now and have interpreted it in a billion different ways, I have come to the conclusion that I'll drive myself crazy trying to figure out who wins, but I'm going to do it anyways.

My hopes:
1. Nat/Kat
2. Brooke/Claire
3. Jill/Thomas
^ If that actually happens, or if NK and BC switch positions, I'll be like  :hearts: :jumpy: :wohoo: :yess:

The only real sort of gut feeling I'm getting is that they are going to make it super-dramatic, but that eventually J/T are 2nd. But the weird thing is that I can see both N/K and B/C NOT winning for several different reasons, which conflicts with my J/T being 2nd gut feeling-thing. Which pretty much means my MIND IS FILLED WITH PARADOXES!

But it does sort of seem, from the very finely edited promo and preview, that Brooke/Claire may have the "cleaner" run with regards to taxis, directions, etc. But of course, that's from what we've seen. It all really does come down to the tasks, and of course that memory challenge.

At the same time, I feel like Brooke/Claire didnt win. I know it's not much to go by but it just doesn't seem like they've been enthusiastic in post-race stuff, including youtube vids they've been in, lack of FB page, etc. Both J/T and N/K have a FB page, but N/K's posts are generally more..."happy" and "cheery" and "go team blue!-y", even recently posting "Down to the final 3!!! Woot Woot!! :) Tune in Sunday Dec 12th on CBS to see who wins Season 17! Go Team Blue!" Like, would someone post that to be like "tune in on sunday to watch us lose! go team blue!"? I don't know, they probably would, but it just seems a bit un-level when it comes to enthusiasm. And J/T haven't even posted the preview or promo to Sunday's ep on their FB.

So along with the hype about a F/F team to win, what we've seen thus far from the promo/preview and just sort of other random things, my guess is the following will be the result:

1. Nat/Kat
2. Jill/Thomas
3. Brooke/Claire

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #132 on: December 06, 2010, 09:38:48 PM »
Hard to say. Here's the history. Powers crashed the Bell in 1977 but "N4TV" wasn't deregistered until 1984. It's a black hole between 1984 and 2002, when the N-number is re-assigned to the Eurostar. The paint job on the "bridge" helos sort of resembles the Coastal fleet (below), but not enough for a match.

Offline connayyy

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #133 on: December 06, 2010, 09:49:02 PM »
Hey! I'm new here, just thought I'd post a speculation.

From the pictures on the first page, it looks like Nat & Kat are last to arrive at the bridge task, it appears to be darker in the cap of them, while the sky is clear and it looks like early morning when J/T and B/C are at it.

I do think that an F/F team will win because of the hype about an all female team having a good chance. It just doesn't make sense to me why they would create so much hype only to disappoint us...it's possible but it's not very good marketing to me.

J/T seems like the strongest team to me, but for some reason I don't think they'll win. Or maybe I'm just hoping...? I like J/T but I want to see an all female team win. :jam:

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #134 on: December 06, 2010, 10:08:35 PM »
The only two words I can think of that start with M and end with SHI are Maharishi (doubtful) and Mitsubishi, which loads bulk cement at Pier F--not on Pier J (crane location). ???

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #135 on: December 06, 2010, 10:18:27 PM »
Not only are Brooke & Claire the last to get a chopper (GE shows there pads, shot show one chopper) but they are way late!

This shot was taken between 12:41 and 12:49 pm (assumes June 15th).

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #136 on: December 06, 2010, 11:08:47 PM »
Chateau.......

I just wonder where you think this photo was taken.......it appears to me that Thomas is looking up at something.......and Jill is hiding her eyes. He could be looking at the Vicent Thomas bridge, by the heliport.....but why would Jill hide her eyes. Could it be that they are at the container ship crane......ie...take taxi to crane.......do tandem bungee....then go to heliport and fly back to Pasadena.........I know well enough not to question you about your town......just wondered what you think.

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #137 on: December 06, 2010, 11:17:55 PM »
Well at least for the first time in a long time I actually think that the three teams in the finale are the best racers of the season.  And I like all three teams.  No one has been rude to locals, mean spirited to other teams, and while Brook and THomas have pushed their partner, neither has been offensive about it (in fact really besides Nick we have seen little of that this season, Thank You!).

Out of the three teams I think I would prefer Jill and Thomas win as they have won as many legs and all of theirs have been legs that equalized teams, they also have been a little more consistent then Nat & Kat.   But all three teams have performed fairly well and not only done that been unlike last season I really felt these teams were really racing almost every single leg.

My only problem with Jill and Thomas is that sometimes they are too quick to jump from one task to the other.

WIth Nat & Kat I like that they are fairly level headed, and keep their cool.  But out of the three teams they also appear (and this is probably just appearances based on their calmer personality) to be the team that doesn't push themselves as hard as the other two teams (again this is probably more due to personality then just taking it easy).

Brook & Claire push, but they also can be erratic, and they are the one team of the three that's personality is over the top.  I am not an over the top person in life, and as such I have a little harder time attaching myself to people on tv who are over the top.  I also in general don't like them casting teams in the media.  Part of that is just my general dislike on the principle of hiring people who work in tv.  But on a game playing level, my distaste is more on those who can use their media career to get an additional level of assistance based on who they are (Rob & Amber, Globetrotters, even Maria & Tiffany) since no one has recognized them, that aspect doesn't bother me on how they have done of the race.

On the ads for the finale they have really pushed the female teams aspect, so I would be surprised if one of the women teams didn't win (and of course the odds are certainly there).  Though I think its funning that I think Allstars and perhaps even season ten had more focus on women possibly winning during the actual Mat footage during the various episodes of the season then this one has had.

Offline Heliox

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #138 on: December 06, 2010, 11:25:15 PM »
I think the most telling thing in the preview is in the interviews. J/T say  something like they will win or deserve to win. B/C saying they want to win, and Nat/Kat saying that it would be an honor to win. TAR still likes to have karma rule and honor be king, so I think based on that bit of editing, N/K are the winners. But then again, I am biased hugely by all the online spec that has been going on as well.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #139 on: December 06, 2010, 11:50:03 PM »
Chateau.......

I just wonder where you think this photo was taken.......it appears to me that Thomas is looking up at something.......and Jill is hiding her eyes. He could be looking at the Vicent Thomas bridge, by the heliport.....but why would Jill hide her eyes. Could it be that they are at the container ship crane......ie...take taxi to crane.......do tandem bungee....then go to heliport and fly back to Pasadena.........I know well enough not to question you about your town......just wondered what you think.

I suspect they made a wrong turn near the helipad and got funneled into the container yard.  This may have been preceded by mistakenly crossing the VT bridge because they missed the exit.  Very easy to do.  I got mixed up down there the first time I went to find the start point for Season 7.  It's crazy.

Offline Lpadres

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #140 on: December 07, 2010, 12:33:30 AM »
Hey! I'm new here, just thought I'd post a speculation.

From the pictures on the first page, it looks like Nat & Kat are last to arrive at the bridge task, it appears to be darker in the cap of them, while the sky is clear and it looks like early morning when J/T and B/C are at it.

I do think that an F/F team will win because of the hype about an all female team having a good chance. It just doesn't make sense to me why they would create so much hype only to disappoint us...it's possible but it's not very good marketing to me.

J/T seems like the strongest team to me, but for some reason I don't think they'll win. Or maybe I'm just hoping...? I like J/T but I want to see an all female team win. :jam:

I am new here to! I actually live in the SoCal/LA region, and if this was filmed in June, then Nat and Kat may be in the lead! SoCal has a lot of June Gloom. This means in the morning of almost evry day in June, it's foggy and miserable! Later on in the day however, it brightens up! So maybe Nat and Kat are actually in the lead! I would like that!!!

Offline fairwind

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #141 on: December 07, 2010, 12:43:50 AM »
Not only are Brooke & Claire the last to get a chopper (GE shows there pads, shot show one chopper) but they are way late!

:'( :'( :'( You mean they are not the winner???  
My favorite team:
Rob & Brennan
Brook & Claire

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #142 on: December 07, 2010, 12:49:16 AM »
Imagine if all these comes down to a cab race in the end. :lol:

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #143 on: December 07, 2010, 12:54:20 AM »
I'm not picking any team, and I haven't at all this season, but I would love to see a close finish (like TAR 2) where all three teams are in sight of the finish mat at the same time. We haven't had one that close since TAR 2, and that is surprising.

If you look at my analysis of placement averages, these final three teams have the closest averages going into the final leg ever. And there are the top three teams. So that sort of finish would be entirely fair and appropriate.
-- theschnauzers

Offline mike4lyf

• RFF Full Member
  • Best team ever! Goths for the win.
« Reply #144 on: December 07, 2010, 12:58:22 AM »

:'( :'( :'( You mean they are not the winner???  
:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( How do you know the times of the pictures anyway? Thanks

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #145 on: December 07, 2010, 02:22:39 AM »
It's a TAR Detecive secret, I think? :lol:

I think Chateau has incredible skills in "predicting" (not the exact word, but I can't find any suitable) the time by using maps, weather stuff, which we won't understand that much. :tup:
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #146 on: December 07, 2010, 03:04:33 AM »
Shadows.

There are programs which detects a shadow's angle and direction in a picture and if you have the correct inputs such as the sunrise/sunset of the day and which particular day is it, you'll get the estimated time of the day as shown in the picture. That is why it is very important to keep track of the exact day and time of the race so that such detective work such as playing with shadows will work.

Of course again, Chateau has a talented flair with shadows.. :hearts:

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #147 on: December 07, 2010, 04:02:26 AM »
Thanks for the reply Chateau......yeah it is crazy place down there......When I was looking on GE of that area, it reminded me of Carl Sagan......

Chateau is not called the "Prince of the Protractor" for nothing.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #148 on: December 07, 2010, 07:14:14 AM »
I could'nt watch the promo vid, but based on what furybaby wrote, Nat says the title?  :wohoo:

It sounds like Nat says it.
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline kiki

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #149 on: December 07, 2010, 08:14:32 AM »
On the subject of the bungee jumping, if we assume that JT were second in the middle jumping position and the position on the left as we see it, was already used then BC has to be first because we see in a picture of Thomas something pink behind him (see a previous post) and also because on the pictures posted by Peach on the first post we see behind BC and on their left a rock formation in the sea that we don't see it in the rest.