Author Topic: TAR 17 EP 10 "I Hate Chinese Food" (Hong Kong, China)  (Read 93705 times)

Offline serendipity

• Honorary Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Sr. Member
Re: TAR 17 EP 10 "I Hate Chinese Food" (Hong Kong, China)
« Reply #150 on: November 28, 2010, 11:16:46 AM »
x你正ar喂~ amazing race season 17 最後三站, 其中一站係「香港」!仲有入長洲踩三輪車, o係張保仔洞有 check point, 會係 road block 定係 Detour?冇 axn既朋友, 可以o係網上睇大陸視頻, 國內譯作...《極速前進》...

Google, always the charmer. Couldn't translate the first sentence, but here's the rest:

One of TAR 17's final three legs will be in Hong Kong! There will be teams riding tricycles at Cheung Chau, and a checkpoint at Cheung Po Tsai Cave - I wonder if that would be a Roadblock or a Detour? For those who don't have AXN, you can watch it online through the mainland channels, it's called "Jisu Qianjin" in Mandarin...

Probably something they took off here or from our sources.

Anyway, the first sentence is meaningless, just like the meaning of "Great news"...

Try to find the restaurant where they got the food task, no luck though. I wonder whether the restaurant is cloes to Seibu department store in Tsimshatsui? Based on leg arrangement it should be, but I could not find similar restaurant around that area.  It does not look like restaurant in a hotel, it looks more like seafood restaurant which is in more Chinese style

btw, it looks so surreal that they took airport bus instead of taxi to start this leg! And they got off outside Jardine House where I passed by every day for work! I wish I was there at that time......

Offline serendipity

• Honorary Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #151 on: November 28, 2010, 11:23:10 AM »

Found thic pic on Sina Microblog(Chinese Twitter) ,Jill and Thomas spotted at THE AVENUE OF STARS ,HongKong.
Wait, alone?  Thought they were with Brook & Claire and Nat & Kat.

Here you go...THANKS Weihen!! :hearts:

The other teams could be just out of the frame (although the photographer did not capture a picture of other teams).  It looks like Jill & Thomas just finished a task are finding out what they will do next.

How great is that!! I have been waiting for TAR to visit this side of the Victoria harbour if they visit Hong Kong again, I think this is a good place to set up a clue box!

Offline kim05

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #152 on: November 28, 2010, 05:02:15 PM »
Looking at the screen caps, #43 looks like Thomas behind Brooke and he doesn't look too good.  Plus Nat is in the background and appears to be talking to a chef.  Could she be done?  Thoughts?

Also, with regard to N/V, it looks like as she is crying he snaps at her with "cus' I'm not waiting on your @$$ ever again".  I wonder if they just missed a ferry and have to wait for the next one.  Could that cause a big delay for them?  I find it surprising that they would not finish a task and take apenalty as someone earlier suggested.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #153 on: November 28, 2010, 05:04:07 PM »
I think he is saying I'm not waiting on your ASTHMA ever again...we know she has that. :(

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline kim05

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #154 on: November 28, 2010, 05:33:29 PM »
I forgot she has asthma.

Is there information on the times of the ferry runs?  I wonder if they just missed one which would cause Nick to stress out.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #155 on: November 28, 2010, 05:34:15 PM »
Sports promo in HD:

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #156 on: November 28, 2010, 05:35:37 PM »
I forgot she has asthma.

Is there information on the times of the ferry runs?  I wonder if they just missed one which would cause Nick to stress out.

Click on the source links in the Timeline thread (first post). That has some extra info about who was where when.

But I think you are right!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #157 on: November 28, 2010, 06:43:19 PM »
Looking at the screen caps, #43 looks like Thomas behind Brooke and he doesn't look too good.  Plus Nat is in the background and appears to be talking to a chef.  Could she be done?  Thoughts?

Also, with regard to N/V, it looks like as she is crying he snaps at her with "cus' I'm not waiting on your @$$ ever again".  I wonder if they just missed a ferry and have to wait for the next one.  Could that cause a big delay for them?  I find it surprising that they would not finish a task and take apenalty as someone earlier suggested.

That could well be the case!  If Nat's done, that means she & Kat will come in first!   :yess:

Well, the only thing I could think of as to why Nick & Vicki would fall so far behind the other teams is if Vicki couldn't finish the task and thus took the penalty.  But missing a ferry could also contribute to their falling so far behind.  And I'm not suggesting Vicki gave up for no good reason -- I can only assume she got so sick that she really couldn't continue!

Belle Book

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #158 on: November 28, 2010, 08:50:04 PM »
Flights were

SQ 435   DAC-SIN    2355-0555
CX  736  SIN-HKG    1010- 1405
Matthew 7:15

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #159 on: November 28, 2010, 09:06:35 PM »
Quote from: Belle Book
Well, the only thing I could think of as to why Nick & Vicki would fall so far behind the other teams is if Vicki couldn't finish the task and thus took the penalty.  But missing a ferry could also contribute to their falling so far behind.  And I'm not suggesting Vicki gave up for no good reason -- I can only assume she got so sick that she really couldn't continue!
As it turned out, it was both.  Before quitting the detour, Nick mentioned it was 4:00 a.m., and with the six hour penalty, I'm guessing they are 8 to 10 hours behind the other teams at the start of the next leg, perhaps even more.
-- theschnauzers

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #161 on: November 29, 2010, 05:43:01 AM »
In the Sampan detour, the starting line was near the Jumbo floating restaurant

And what was Nick doing in the ladies' loo?

Offline AmazingRace

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yup, we didn't win. Damn.
« Reply #162 on: November 29, 2010, 06:03:37 AM »
And what was Nick doing in the ladies' loo?

:lol3: I thought about the same thing too, even with the cameramen.  :snicker:

Offline Goldeneye

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #163 on: November 29, 2010, 11:00:45 AM »
I am not sure if anyone else has mentioned it, but the normal HoO for the Ding Ding detour (Hong Kong Tramways) is from 6am to midnight - with midnight being the time the last trams depart from their termini.

http://www.hktramways.com/en/service/index.html

Likely, B/C and N/V got to the Bruce Lee Statue late enough for the Ding Ding not to be an option for them and J/T bled enough time at the Ding Ding to force them to switch because they approaching closing time.

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #164 on: November 29, 2010, 11:27:18 AM »
As it turned out, it was both.  Before quitting the detour, Nick mentioned it was 4:00 a.m., and with the six hour penalty, I'm guessing they are 8 to 10 hours behind the other teams at the start of the next leg, perhaps even more.

Why not wait for the sun to rise and then search again?  This would be less than 6 hours.  Of course they did not know it was a NEL and that the time would actually matter.

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #165 on: November 29, 2010, 11:28:01 AM »
I am not sure if anyone else has mentioned it, but the normal HoO for the Ding Ding detour (Hong Kong Tramways) is from 6am to midnight - with midnight being the time the last trams depart from their termini.

http://www.hktramways.com/en/service/index.html

Likely, B/C and N/V got to the Bruce Lee Statue late enough for the Ding Ding not to be an option for them and J/T bled enough time at the Ding Ding to force them to switch because they approaching closing time.

I would not surprised if TAR arranged for the Ding-Ding to stay open for them.

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #166 on: November 29, 2010, 07:32:21 PM »

8 TO 10 HOURS BEHIND?!  Yikes, that is a long time!

Belle Book

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #167 on: November 29, 2010, 07:37:33 PM »
You could only see the flag for a few frames; these were "amazing" ding dings.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #168 on: November 29, 2010, 07:42:46 PM »
Thanks Slowhatch.........when I was watching the episode.......I did realize there was no one else on the trolley and thought they were probably "chartered."
Matthew 7:15

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #169 on: November 29, 2010, 07:47:26 PM »
You could only see the flag for a few frames; these were "amazing" ding dings.

And the word "PRIVATE HIRE"

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #170 on: November 29, 2010, 08:04:25 PM »
The Sushi Showdown task was one that would have been a lot easier with a bright LED head lamp.  Those LEDs have a spectral emission that is slammed hard to the blue end of the rainbow.  It would be possible to actually see a distinct coloration coming from the faux food when illuminated by LED lamps.

I'll have to ask Racers if they were forbidden to use their flashlights!   :lol:
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #171 on: November 29, 2010, 10:56:13 PM »
The Sushi Showdown task was one that would have been a lot easier with a bright LED head lamp.  Those LEDs have a spectral emission that is slammed hard to the blue end of the rainbow.  It would be possible to actually see a distinct coloration coming from the faux food when illuminated by LED lamps.

I'll have to ask Racers if they were forbidden to use their flashlights!   :lol:
Maybe they were limited to the use of the chopsticks, or maybe they didn't think of it, although Thomas has a degree and :blahblah:
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline kenchan

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #172 on: December 01, 2010, 08:27:28 AM »
Sorry if this came up already, but as a Japanese, I feel I have to stand up and say this....

In this leg, Phil mentioned that Hong Kong was known not only for its lavish buffets, but also the intricately made food displays made out of plastic.

It may be commonly seen in Hong Kong, but "fake food" for the purpose of restaurant displays was invented in Japan..., not in Hong Kong.

Just sayin'...  :waves:
「超たのしい~!♪」
-Tyler McNiven riding a fold-up bike in the night streets of Tokyo, TAR9

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #173 on: December 01, 2010, 09:21:46 AM »
"Commonly seen" is not equal with "invented in." :waves:
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #174 on: December 01, 2010, 09:25:25 AM »
Sorry if this came up already, but as a Japanese, I feel I have to stand up and say this....

In this leg, Phil mentioned that Hong Kong was known not only for its lavish buffets, but also the intricately made food displays made out of plastic.

It may be commonly seen in Hong Kong, but "fake food" for the purpose of restaurant displays was invented in Japan..., not in Hong Kong.

Just sayin'...  :waves:

Plastic food displays have saved me more than once! I have fond memories of pointing out what I wanted to eat in the windows when I couldn't speak the language.
RFF's Golden Rule: