Author Topic: TAR 17 EP 8 "Ali Baba in a Suit" (Muscat, Oman)  (Read 78841 times)

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
Re: TAR 17 EP 8 "Ali Baba in a Suit" (Muscat, Oman)
« Reply #100 on: November 09, 2010, 03:07:12 PM »
About Chad & Stephany, is it that they got overslept at the Pitstop as Peggy and Claire did? There's a shot of the pitstart, so that may be a hint?

PS: Had you already told that?

We have no proof of this fact; it is merely spec. Personally, I do not think that it affects anything.
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #101 on: November 09, 2010, 03:07:39 PM »
Riyam Park is in Muttah, Oman. Muttah is in the state of Muscat. It is due east of the airport on the way to Muscat City. In TAR 9, they left Riyam and drove south along the coast to Sur, for the detour. Btw, BJ and Tyler had no direct interaction with camels in that leg. They did the silver message bottles in the watchtower side of the detour. It was Eric and Jeremy that had trouble finding where to leave the camel. From Sur they drove 90 miles inland, almost due west to Al Hawiyah oasis for the infamous "dig for your dinner" RB and then drove for another 100 miles to the northwest to the Fort at Nizwa, Jabreen Castle. When released from the pit stop, it was about a 120 mile drive north to the airport. Basically they drove a big box around Oman. I also believe it was about the same time frame. In and out in about 36 hours.

There could be mines just about anywhere. The big mining district is near Sohar, where large scale mineralization occured. This is from /geological/technical sites I checked. IF that is not an ore hauler, then looking for mines is just whistling in the wind. The highways in Oman are good, interstate quality. The only problem they had in TAR9 was a bridge washed out by a flood and they meet the Sultan and had to park by the side of the road for awhile.....lol

If you think there are mines around Nizwa, the_pr0phet, then find them. I did not see any mention of that area in the technical/mining pages I checked. The fact that they have adventure companies in Oman doing climbing and rapelling, means to me, that BVM found him some local riggers. He is good at doing that and using them to rig in areas that they don't normally use.

I am not saying that anyplace I mention is THE place....they are posibilities.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 03:12:35 PM by DrRox »
Matthew 7:15

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #102 on: November 09, 2010, 03:17:34 PM »
Wow, I had forgotten how much driving they did on that leg. I also hadn't thought of the possibility of them using an area they don't typically use. I did notice that the roads looked good. It will probably be extremely difficult for us to pinpoint the actual area they use, and it may not matter.
Since there is so much mining in Oman and it appears that they are in an ore truck, I am sure that they do a task like this.
This company: http://mawaridmining.com/operations_miningomancopper.shtml seems to use these types of trucks and has multiple mining locations in Sohar.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #103 on: November 09, 2010, 03:42:07 PM »
But could teams have to go by truck to the desert for the tent whatever it is? That is one big pot of tea or coffee...and Bedouins are known for their hospitality.

That could be get a clue, then go to rappell.

Both tables I can see in that tent are set up for tea. That is a band in the background to provide music. I was thinking that the guy in all black, might be Chad.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #104 on: November 09, 2010, 04:34:17 PM »
Chateau's info over here: http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,23216.msg571786.html#msg571786 supports the theory of an early morning departure then driving in the dark to Riyam and waiting for it or something there to open.

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #105 on: November 09, 2010, 06:24:42 PM »
Maybe after Chad proposed to Stephanie, they go to an Omani wedding with bedouins. LOLJK.
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR 17 EP 8 "Ali Baba in a Suit"
« Reply #106 on: November 09, 2010, 06:31:10 PM »
yes! As Brook says....the PO-Po come!

We don't know why but somehow I am sure they talked their way out of whatever! :lol3:

Hard too... Arab guys don't kiss kiss with girls, they only kiss men...

huh

Brooke & Claire have kissed their way out of trouble so far, in Oman, it will be very difficult as Arab men don't "physically interact" with women.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #107 on: November 09, 2010, 06:38:32 PM »
skooky

We don't know why but somehow I am sure they talked their way out of whatever! :lol3:

huh

Brooke & Claire have kissed their way out of trouble so far, in Oman, it will be very difficult as Arab men don't "physically interact" with women.

I don't really know where you get your info, redskooky. But having lived in an Arab country for 6 years, I find your statements to be totally false and just plain bigoted.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #108 on: November 09, 2010, 06:40:46 PM »

huh

I don't know why you have continued to reiterate this statement when we have repeatedly turned the topic to other more intelligent topics.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #109 on: November 09, 2010, 08:36:23 PM »
Moving on....
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline CheyneTAR

• RFF Not So Newbie
    • Twitter
« Reply #110 on: November 09, 2010, 09:09:07 PM »
oops newbie mistake
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 09:22:03 PM by CheyneTAR »
Currently trying to find a magnificent way to earn me a spot on The Amazing Race

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #111 on: November 09, 2010, 09:43:31 PM »
I don't know if the Al Qubrah mosque seen in the caps (thanks, Peach  :waves:) figures into the leg (info stop, maybe?), but some trivia just in case:
  • It's the only mosque in Oman that admits tourists
  • According to this article, the world's largest carpet was stitched together, then the roof built over it

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #112 on: November 09, 2010, 09:54:02 PM »
Nice pics, thanks! Yes, if they show it, it must play a role right? Would they come back to there for the Pitstop, or is it more likely to be an along the way stop?? :duno:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #113 on: November 10, 2010, 06:53:03 AM »
As outgoing, liberal (well as far as Arab states go), friendly and hospitable as the Omanis are, I just can't fathom the Grand Mosque to be a pit stop. Well I mean an old style pit stops. I forget about modern pit stops. I guess they could check in on the grounds and then check out. It will be interesting to see how they do use it.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #114 on: November 10, 2010, 07:17:18 AM »
These days, PitStops seem rarely to be the same place the racers stay. So I get you. Probably a clue location??
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #115 on: November 10, 2010, 07:20:40 AM »
Possibily........but more than the teams coming in and out.......I would think they wouldnt want so many crew standing around working.....it is a place of reverence. All the behind the scenes stuff we never see. I keep thinking about that pic from Chile when the grandmother/granddaughter got eliminated......They would be upset with all that circus, I think.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #116 on: November 10, 2010, 07:28:34 AM »
Good point!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #117 on: November 10, 2010, 08:03:15 AM »
I kind of thought they showed the Grand Mosque on the commercial as a general symbol of Oman.

Anyway, on the original preview the Al-Lawatiya Mosque can be seen in cap 11. The grey taxi in that cap appears to be the same car that is in caps 15 and 17. I think that Gary and Mallory are following this taxi to lead them somewhere when they become lost. Since that mosque is in close vicinity to Riyam park I wonder if they are trying to find wherever they are going after that. We know they found the park in time because Mallory is sitting on the fountain wall.

The first few shots show them in the city but in the last few frames they seem to be in the desert. If they are headed south towards Nizram or up the coast to Sohar, how far can they expect that taxi to lead them? This may indicate another stop somewhere closer to town.
My guess is that they are not really all that far behind.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #118 on: November 10, 2010, 09:48:28 AM »
When Jill and Thomas are riding in what appears to be a cab here are they on the way to the airport in Russia? Is that a route info clue he is holding? It seems a little bright out for them to be leaving the Pit Start.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 10:13:04 AM by the-pr0phet »

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #119 on: November 10, 2010, 10:42:21 AM »
Does anyone remember Terence and Sarah being penalized for speeding in season 13 leg 5? Wondering if this will befall Brooke and Claire.

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #120 on: November 10, 2010, 10:50:25 AM »
When Jill and Thomas are riding in what appears to be a cab here are they on the way to the airport in Russia? Is that a route info clue he is holding? It seems a little bright out for them to be leaving the Pit Start.

Given that Jill is wearing a harness, I think this occurs after repelling in Oman.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #121 on: November 10, 2010, 11:55:41 AM »

Given that Jill is wearing a harness, I think this occurs after repelling in Oman.

Well I thought so at first as well, but I thought that the most logical place for them to use a taxi was while they were still in Russia. In cap 26 Nick and Vicki are in a cab but neither one is wearing a harness. N/V clothes in the cab are the same ones they are wearing at the fountain. In the cab J/T are wearing the same clothes they wore at the watch tower but not the same as they wore in the airport (cap 27). This makes it seem like the N/V shot is on the way to the airport and maybe J/T's is not.

Would they let you take the harness with you? If so then what happened to the cars they drove themselves in?

Offline TrueNorth

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #122 on: November 10, 2010, 12:11:47 PM »
About Chad & Stephany, is it that they got overslept at the Pitstop as Peggy and Claire did? There's a shot of the pitstart, so that may be a hint?

PS: Had you already told that?

Offline TrueNorth

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #123 on: November 10, 2010, 12:14:18 PM »
Let's see if I can write this time.  I believe some artful editing is involved here. It seems to be Gary and Mallory that make the critical mistake in the beginning and Chad/Stephanie sleeping in is a red herring.

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #124 on: November 10, 2010, 12:37:07 PM »

Well I thought so at first as well, but I thought that the most logical place for them to use a taxi was while they were still in Russia. In cap 26 Nick and Vicki are in a cab but neither one is wearing a harness. N/V clothes in the cab are the same ones they are wearing at the fountain. In the cab J/T are wearing the same clothes they wore at the watch tower but not the same as they wore in the airport (cap 27). This makes it seem like the N/V shot is on the way to the airport and maybe J/T's is not.

Would they let you take the harness with you? If so then what happened to the cars they drove themselves in?

CAPS!

Check out Kat's harness. ^

I suspect that at some point racers change from driving themselves to having a driver take over.  They did something similar a few seasons ago; they got a driver to drive them across sand dunes.