Author Topic: TAR 17 Ep 7 " I Want To Be In The Circus, That's Where I Belong!" (Russia)  (Read 88506 times)

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
Re: TAR 17 Ep 7 " I Want To Be In The Circus, That's Where I Belong!" (Russia)
« Reply #125 on: November 05, 2010, 04:13:14 AM »
Jill & Thomas hadn't been sighted like as obvious as the 2 F/F's on the final leg? Here's hope to them being eliminated  :groan: Actually, anyone winning except them would be one of the bests.

I hope Gary & Mallory survives though the preview shatters any hopes of them surviving but maybe hello, reverse-psychology? <3 and this leg they also got a foreshadowing confesh but it was Nick/Vicki who succumbed.
Why the dislike of Jill and THomas.  They seemed to be above average racers, they haven't been rude or mean to other racers or locals, and they certainly haven't behaved as badly as many, many teams have over the years.  In fact so far this season has had fairly well behaved teams across the board.

Because they're boring? :lol:

NOT boring. :lol: At all.

Remember Terence's edit? About as far from the real life Terence as it is possible to be. Editing can do whatever it wants... remember that what you see is often nothing like what happened.  :tup:

I knew TAR was trying to screw up Terence and Sarah's edit and in real life the two are no where near what they're edited to be.

As for Jill and Thomas, maybe let's not say they're boring.. but rather.. the other teams are relatively more entertaining and fun to watch? :lol:

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #126 on: November 05, 2010, 06:48:24 AM »

It's definitely Avtovo; you can see most of the name in the cap.
I haven't seen any red cards, but the gorodki is the RB? And since they take taxis to the circus, I have no idea what the bus is for.

It doesn't look like the bus is even used by the teams as everything is too close together for that. I can definitely see how the leg could work out like this:

1. Teams go to the Church first and wait for it to open (some teams may get lost or misdirect others between the PS and the church)
2. They do the RB at Gorodki all arriving at similar times
3. Some teams take longer than others there
4. They do the Detour at the circus
5. The Pit Stop is somewhere closer to the circus

The way he's jumping (and the teams behind him) make me think they got hit with HoO at Avtovo. Also, I thought this season might set a record with two fake bears; but that bear might be real (see the ppt presentation here).

Based on vidcaps and the comments of others, it seems the Hours of Operation (HoO) bunching is at the circus.

And we need to fit a SpeedBump in there somewhere.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #127 on: November 05, 2010, 07:52:57 AM »
We had all forgotten about the speed bump, gator. However I thought the working assumption was that the detour was the last task as it is much farther from the PS than the RB is.
Remember the church museum opens at 11 am and it looked the the sun was still in the east on caps 24 and 25.
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #128 on: November 05, 2010, 10:01:06 AM »
Jill & Thomas hadn't been sighted like as obvious as the 2 F/F's on the final leg? Here's hope to them being eliminated  :groan: Actually, anyone winning except them would be one of the bests.

I hope Gary & Mallory survives though the preview shatters any hopes of them surviving but maybe hello, reverse-psychology? <3 and this leg they also got a foreshadowing confesh but it was Nick/Vicki who succumbed.
Why the dislike of Jill and THomas.  They seemed to be above average racers, they haven't been rude or mean to other racers or locals, and they certainly haven't behaved as badly as many, many teams have over the years.  In fact so far this season has had fairly well behaved teams across the board.

I don't really dislike Jill & Thomas -- or at least Jill.  I mildly dislike Thomas when he's acting superior because he had a college education, but the main reason why I don't love them is because I like most of the other teams more.

Belle Book

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #129 on: November 05, 2010, 10:08:13 AM »
I think we need to get back on track on this thread. We were talking about the order of tasks in Episode 7.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #130 on: November 05, 2010, 10:31:11 AM »
Slowhatch......

I think the backpacks are already on the bus. I think teams without backpacks got there early, put their backpacks on the bus, then went sightseeing to wait out the departure time. Screencaps 18,19,20 look like a queue to get on the bus. Maybe one of those........."Get a departure time and take a charter bus" deals to another location. I see no indication of anything to do with that church or its museum. I think it is get a charter bus in the square in front of the church. Four teams are seen.....N/K, N/V, M/K, and B/C. Since the Peter and Paul Fortress is on its own little island, there may be driving restrictions there. So Production gets them charter buses to take them there? The teams without backpacks could just be sightseeing around the area waiting for the bus to leave at a certain time. If that is the case, then it appears that K/N helped Nick and Vicki find the location of the bus.

I think it is...detour first, then roadblock. The preview from last week sort of spells that out......with two racers fighting it out with the lawn game to escape elimination.

Looks like Jill/Thomas tried both sides of the detour.......plates or accordian. Stephanie is seen at the P and P fortress. No Gary or Mallory in any shots that I could see.

The 3 missing teams could be sitting on the bus for all we know.

Btw, St Petersburg is @ 60 degrees North Latitude. The sun will go down, but it will not get dark at that time of year. Pretty much the same as Anchorage, Ak at that time of year.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 10:42:04 AM by DrRox »
Matthew 7:15

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #131 on: November 05, 2010, 11:33:39 AM »
Slowhatch......

I think the backpacks are already on the bus. I think teams without backpacks got there early, put their backpacks on the bus, then went sightseeing to wait out the departure time. Screencaps 18,19,20 look like a queue to get on the bus. Maybe one of those........."Get a departure time and take a charter bus" deals to another location. I see no indication of anything to do with that church or its museum. I think it is get a charter bus in the square in front of the church. Four teams are seen.....N/K, N/V, M/K, and B/C. Since the Peter and Paul Fortress is on its own little island, there may be driving restrictions there. So Production gets them charter buses to take them there? The teams without backpacks could just be sightseeing around the area waiting for the bus to leave at a certain time. If that is the case, then it appears that K/N helped Nick and Vicki find the location of the bus.

I think it is...detour first, then roadblock. The preview from last week sort of spells that out......with two racers fighting it out with the lawn game to escape elimination.

Looks like Jill/Thomas tried both sides of the detour.......plates or accordian. Stephanie is seen at the P and P fortress. No Gary or Mallory in any shots that I could see.

The 3 missing teams could be sitting on the bus for all we know.

Btw, St Petersburg is @ 60 degrees North Latitude. The sun will go down, but it will not get dark at that time of year. Pretty much the same as Anchorage, Ak at that time of year.

DrRox, you have a lot of good info there. The idea about boarding the bus in front of the church actually makes a lot of sense and explains a few things. It looks like G/M C/S and J/T may be behind the first group although they could be on the bus.

Why do you think that the detour is first? It looked like on the map that it would make more sense for them to go over to Gorodki and then head south towards the circus. I know the promo made it look that way but I have found that those can be deceptive.

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #132 on: November 05, 2010, 11:45:37 AM »

Why do you think that the detour is first? It looked like on the map that it would make more sense for them to go over to Gorodki and then head south towards the circus. I know the promo made it look that way but I have found that those can be deceptive.

If you visit the TAR 17 Maps Thread, you will see many excellent maps created by Neobie.  You will notice that many routes loop back on themselves.  In short, the order of an episode is not designed to make "map sense".  The producers have other reasons for their construction of a TAR leg.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #133 on: November 05, 2010, 11:56:51 AM »

If you visit the TAR 17 Maps Thread, you will see many excellent maps created by Neobie.  You will notice that many routes loop back on themselves.  In short, the order of an episode is not designed to make "map sense".  The producers have other reasons for their construction of a TAR leg.

That's very true, but the only problem I see is that that explanation almost makes the leg too easy to figure out. I find it hard to believe that Brook and Claire and Michael and Kevin are fighting it out at the end. If that is true then we know that B/C will not be eliminated and having the promo basically telling us who will be eliminated does not make sense to me.

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #134 on: November 05, 2010, 12:00:12 PM »

That's very true, but the only problem I see is that that explanation almost makes the leg too easy to figure out. I find it hard to believe that Brook and Claire and Michael and Kevin are fighting it out at the end. If that is true then we know that B/C will not be eliminated and having the promo basically telling us who will be eliminated does not make sense to me.

You forget that the promo does not tell the average person who is getting eliminated.

If you did not look at this forum, or indeed any spoilers, you wouldn't know that B/C make it to the top 3, thus it would all be up in the air. You're overthinking things, Prophet. Just relax.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #135 on: November 05, 2010, 12:24:48 PM »
You forget that the promo does not tell the average person who is getting eliminated.

If you did not look at this forum, or indeed any spoilers, you wouldn't know that B/C make it to the top 3, thus it would all be up in the air. You're overthinking things, Prophet. Just relax.

I don't think the average fan would have even noticed that Brooke could be seen in that shot and thus would assume that Michael's ineptitude at tasks would lead to their elimination. Especially considering that they included and highlighted the overly dramatic quote by Kevin "we're going to be last because of this."
I think that if the average viewer saw M/K eliminated in Ep. 07 they would find it to be anti-climatic and be surprised that so much had been revealed in the promo.

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #136 on: November 05, 2010, 12:29:36 PM »
:badhorse: Video evidence shows Michael struggling at the Roadblock.  The written promo says 2 teams struggle at the Roadblock.  Who is the second team?  My speculation is that is one of the teams not shown at the Roadblock.  I suspect Brook waltzes into the task, promptly knocks down the blocks, does her little dance and heads off.  Translation - Brook does not struggle with the Roadblock.

We will find out this Sunday.  Don't forget the time change!

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #137 on: November 05, 2010, 12:34:06 PM »

I don't think the average fan would have even noticed that Brooke could be seen in that shot and thus would assume that Michael's ineptitude at tasks would lead to their elimination. Especially considering that they included and highlighted the overly dramatic quote by Kevin "we're going to be last because of this."
I think that if the average viewer saw M/K eliminated in Ep. 07 they would find it to be anti-climatic and be surprised that so much had been revealed in the promo.

But it hasn't. All that's been "revealed" is that Mike misses a couple of shots and that Kev thinks they are going to come last. Although I suppose that is a big deal considering they are literally the only team ever to face that situation.  :colealert:

Why are we making such a big deal of the promo? They do this nearly every week, yet we find that the team that was seemingly in so much trouble pulls through. I repeat: You are over thinking things

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #138 on: November 05, 2010, 12:37:26 PM »
Video evidence shows Michael struggling at the Roadblock.  The written promo says 2 teams struggle at the Roadblock.  Who is the second team?  My speculation is that is one of the teams not shown at the Roadblock.  I suspect Brook waltzes into the task, promptly knocks down the blocks, does her little dance and heads off.  Translation - Brook does not struggle with the Roadblock.

We will find out this Sunday.  Don't forget the time change!

I definitely agree with that assessment. I too felt from those pictures that Brooke performed well.
We know that Stephanie, Thomas, and Kat do the task. I would guess that Gary does because it is his turn, and Vicki because she has only done two RB's.
Enjoy the show everyone!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 04:56:09 PM by the-pr0phet »

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #139 on: November 05, 2010, 12:39:03 PM »

But it hasn't. All that's been "revealed" is that Mike misses a couple of shots and that Kev thinks they are going to come last. Although I suppose that is a big deal considering they are literally the only team ever to face that situation.  :colealert:

Why are we making such a big deal of the promo? They do this nearly every week, yet we find that the team that was seemingly in so much trouble pulls through. I repeat: You are over thinking things

We have all made too big of a deal out of this one leg for no particular reason. However your second paragraph proves my point that M/K will not be eliminated this week.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #140 on: November 05, 2010, 12:39:18 PM »
The promo actually says two RACERS, not teams. They could be using the royal "we" to mean one team, or there really could be two teams struggling. :duno:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #141 on: November 05, 2010, 12:53:17 PM »
It's probably st. Petersburg State Circus, Address: Fontanka embankment, either 3 or 65 with its 2345 seats. Metro stop is: Gostiny Dvor

Here is a Cyrillic language description of this circus. I don't remember seeing any Cyrillic readers in the new Languages thread.

The metro map to get there is: http://www.saint-petersburg.com/images/transport/saint-petersburg-metro-map.gif

Gostiny Dvor is at the intersection of the M2 and M3 lines near the center of this map

It appears that my hypothesis is incorrect. The Avtovo Circus is at Avtovskaya ul 1A Avtovo, metro stop Avtovo, second from the last to the south on line M1 (see above Metro map).  A map of that is here: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/russia/st-petersburg/entertainment-nightlife/circus/circus-in-avtovo

The St. Petersburg State circus has a huge performance space. The tent I see in the above photos of the Avtovo Circus is not going to hold 2345 people.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #142 on: November 05, 2010, 01:17:25 PM »
It's probably st. Petersburg State Circus, Address: Fontanka embankment, either 3 or 65 with its 2345 seats. Metro stop is: Gostiny Dvor

Here is a Cyrillic language description of this circus. I don't remember seeing any Cyrillic readers in the new Languages thread.

The metro map to get there is: http://www.saint-petersburg.com/images/transport/saint-petersburg-metro-map.gif

Gostiny Dvor is at the intersection of the M2 and M3 lines near the center of this map

It appears that my hypothesis is incorrect. The Avtovo Circus is at Avtovskaya ul 1A Avtovo, metro stop Avtovo, second from the last to the south on line M1 (see above Metro map).  A map of that is here: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/russia/st-petersburg/entertainment-nightlife/circus/circus-in-avtovo

The St. Petersburg State circus has a huge performance space. The tent I see in the above photos of the Avtovo Circus is not going to hold 2345 people.

I thought someone had seen the word Avtovo in one of the caps.

update: it was Slowhatch here: http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,23560.msg570763.html#msg570763

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #143 on: November 05, 2010, 02:21:52 PM »
TEAMS GO TO THE CIRCUS IN RUSSIA, BUT IT'S NOT ALL FUN AND GAMES WHEN MULTIPLE TEAMS MISREAD A CLUE, ULTIMATELY THREATENING THEIR POSITIONS IN THE GAME,
ON "THE AMAZING RACE," SUNDAY, NOV. 7

"I Want To Be In The Circus, That's Where I Belong" (Russia) — Teams are clowning around when they learn a traditional Russian circus act, but it's no joke when multiple teams make a critical error and misread a clue, jeopardizing their positions in the Race, on THE AMAZING RACE, Sunday, Nov. 7 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.  Phil Keoghan is host.

From CBS:
Sunday, Nov. 7 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT)
THE AMAZING RACE-In a final showdown to avoid elimination, two racers struggle to master a traditional Russian lawn game.  Phil Keoghan hosts.

I think to many people are doing like the racers.....not reading the clues, plenty of information there.

Remember from that movie, St Petersburg is famous for its "White Nights." I think Phil filmed his gorodki footage at "night."(no shadows)

Thanks to Peach, WP and thanks to Slowhatch and apskip for the circus info.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 08:15:01 PM by DrRox »
Matthew 7:15

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #144 on: November 05, 2010, 04:55:26 PM »
I think the white nights theory is correct, but I am not sure how it helps to know when he is filming those.

Anyway I agree with peach that the statement about two racers may just mean that Mike and Kevin struggle with that task. The reason being that I don't think Gary will struggle with it and we know none of the other teams are eliminated here. (Unless the Chad/Stephanie sighting in Oman is false, because otherwise I could see them losing this one)

I think the eliminated team will be one of the ones who misreads a clue and "jeopardizes their position in the race." According to the timeline that should be G/M and they have already had some trouble finding things.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 04:58:34 PM by the-pr0phet »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #145 on: November 05, 2010, 05:28:52 PM »
According to the timeline that should be G/M and they have already had some trouble finding things.

??? ??? ???

The Timeline doesn't say that at all, I don't think.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #146 on: November 05, 2010, 05:50:05 PM »
According to the timeline that should be G/M and they have already had some trouble finding things.

??? ??? ???

The Timeline doesn't say that at all, I don't think.

Well, it doesn't specifically say that Gary & Mallory are the team that goes home.  All it says is that Gary & Mallory and Michael & Kevin weren't spotted beyond St. Petersburg.  Thus one of those two teams head for Elimination Station after St. Petersburg.  However, there are rumors that Michael & Kevin were doing a decoy run in South Korea, which indicates that they didn't go to Elimination Station.  Because of what we learned about the other teams (Chad & Stephanie being seen in Muscat, Nick & Vicky being seen in Hong Kong and the other three teams apparently being the Final 3 teams), that leaves us with Gary & Mallory.  Also, the promos often focus on a team who's safe.  No mention of Gary & Mallory -- but plenty of focus on Michael & Kevin.  It all adds up.

Belle Book

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #147 on: November 05, 2010, 06:09:41 PM »
Sadly, I agree, Belle Book. Gary and Mallory, despite being one of my favourite teams this season, look to be the next team to be Eliminated. Nick and Vicki, may I ask, how can these (sorry) idiots, make it so far. They probably haven't a clue what The Amazing Race is after that FastForward fiasco in the last leg (or one before?)
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #148 on: November 05, 2010, 06:38:53 PM »
Well said Belle and Kiwi, exactly what I was thinking on all counts :tup:. I don't understand how it happens, but somehow they must get tripped up. The only way I see them lasting a little longer is if the C/S sighting in Muscat is flawed; all the other evidence looks solid.

Offline Levi Rinno

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #149 on: November 05, 2010, 06:48:26 PM »
I think Nick & Vicki, now that all the cannon fodder teams (and the stronger, but screwed Katie & Rachel) are gone, are pretty much Dandrewing or Brian & Ericka-ing their way through the race -- getting by only because someone makes a more egregious error than they do.  But unlike either of those teams, they don't see it unjustly rewarded with a F3 finish.