Author Topic: EP 3 East Coast SHOW updates and commentary **please read the rules**  (Read 34201 times)

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
Re: EP 3 East Coast SHOW updates and commentary **please read the rules**
« Reply #100 on: October 10, 2010, 09:25:13 PM »
Terrific job, mswood. Glad I could help you out a little bit.
Matthew 7:15

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #101 on: October 10, 2010, 09:25:58 PM »
Oh sorry sweetie. it is over here now. But every week we have a link in the Live Streaming Video thread!

and :welcome: to RFF!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 09:33:54 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline furybaby

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #102 on: October 10, 2010, 09:36:07 PM »
Oh sorry sweetie. it is over here now. But every week we have a link in the Live Streaming Video thread!

and :welcome: to RFF!

Thank You ^^
I've looked at TAR a bunch but didn't know there was forums relating to it  :hearts:
Imperfection is beautiful.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #103 on: October 10, 2010, 09:41:17 PM »
I didn't either for the longest time!! But RFF is the place to be...but careful, we are all about the spoilers! :hearts:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #104 on: October 10, 2010, 09:47:20 PM »
When did we last see a TBC anyway?
I don't know.  I am shocked.
Season 14? When Jaime & Cara almost won?
Thats the last one I remember.  No there wasn't one in 16, but and I think the only had non elim in 15 (remember one speed bump with Pinky and the Brain, but what was the other?).
Bricka's Absynth Shot and Pokerfaces' Pho Delivery
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #105 on: October 11, 2010, 02:14:20 AM »
WHAT I LOVE IN THIS EPPY:

1. The uberly simple tasks that turn too difficult. No need for a World War I re-enactment to get good TV, just do cunningly simple yet deadly tasks. :tup: Ok, the boxing was lame, but it was still ok, though it is forgettable.
2. The teams. So far, only Jill and Thomas are meh to me. Everyone is :hearts: Katie and Rachel, told ya, they'll get the villainy or bitchy edit. :lol:
3. The locations. Ok, I love Africa. It's been 5 long seasons since we've been to motherland Africa (Seychelles was an island-nation not in the Motherland continent, of course) and I miss it a lot!
4. The people and locals. I love the Pitstop Greeter and the Teachers for being fierce with designer clothing. I love the smiles of the innocent children. I love how the Wheel Barrow Man told each and every idiot team for items lost (but Coconut Man last year was better. :lol:)

The first three episodes of this season really gave an impact to me no other seasons, as far as I can remember, gave me. I think TAR hits gold this season after doing so in Season 14. Good job and keep up the good work, TAR! :jam:
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline Goldeneye

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #106 on: October 11, 2010, 02:55:54 PM »
Presuming that this is a minimum 36 hour pit stop - Michael can use some of that time to recuperate - that equatorial heat really was brutal to him, as the scenes of a medic showed.

Offline Ruth

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • With all your heart!
« Reply #107 on: October 12, 2010, 12:08:06 AM »
I was actually wondering if teams would check in at around the same positions as the last leg, seeing that they were still in Ghana. But I liked it that the positions were completely reshuffled. Well perhaps it's due to teams not having that much of a time difference in the first place. But it certainly made things more exciting. And you gotta give props to Gary and Mallory for starting out in last place and finishing in second! They climbed up indeed. I'm starting to really like this team, love the father-daughter support!

And what's really cool about this season is that both alpha-male teams simply rock! Past seasons, we either had the guys with all brawn and no brains, or they were just egotistical muscle men dominating every leg of the race. This season, we have the geeky boys and the Asian father-son, I think it's amazing. They're not the typical alpha-male kinda team, and I love it that way. I love Connor and Jonathan's singing, humour and easy going nature on the race, I love Michael and Kevin's support for each other, Kevin's encouragement for his dad! Wooh!

As for the other teams... Katie and Rachel fell down my ladder for being utterly bitchy this leg. Hello, dumb doctor? That wasn't really needed... Chad, on the other hand, climbed up my ladder for that little speech on the children of Ghana. It made me see his more humane side, lol. Nick has to stop yelling at Vicky! It wasn't such a grave mistake yet he went on and on. I'm surprised that Vicky's stomaching all of this, saying sorry to him so many times. And I'm amazed by their position this leg. Wow, fifth! Nat and Kat, you have to be surprised that as doctors, they couldn't figure out the Language Arts Detour. (Well only the Glee boys got it! Wow.) And then they proceeded to get lost to the pit-stop. They've gotta step up their game! But I like it that they're always calm and collected. Not much from Jill and Thomas and Brooke and Claire this week, but I'm still loving the latter. They're just fun to watch!

My ranking of the teams for the past three legs:
1. Nat and Kat
2. Brooke and Claire
3. Connor and Jonathan
4. Gary and Mallory
5. Michael and Kevin
6. Katie and Rachel
7. Jill and Thomas
8. Chad and Stephanie
9. Nick and Vicky
TAR 26: Hayley and Blair` Mike and Rochelle` Jelani and Jenny`
Survivor 30: Jenn` Joe` Hali` Sierra`
AI 14: Jax` Clark` Joey`

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #108 on: October 12, 2010, 01:24:20 PM »
Ruth

Katie & Rachel have had bitchy comments about teams so far in all three episodes.

Just because their are male teams doesn't mean they are alpha males.  It usually refers to athletic young males that dominate the race or male teams that dominate the race. 

Really production has moved away from that type of casting.

But seriously most of the athletic male teams would have never made some of the major stupid errors that so many of these teams have made.

Offline Ruth

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • With all your heart!
« Reply #109 on: October 13, 2010, 01:55:36 AM »
Oops. I actually meant the all-male teams. Guess I just got momentarily confused haha. I don't know, but this season's all-male teams seem pretty special in a sense. Well I'd normally just find it boring when those athletic male teams just dominate everything because they're so physically strong and fast. But yeah, I agree, production's moving away from that type of casting. And the tasks as well, the Detours have evidently shifted from "physical and fast" versus "non-physical and slow" to something fairer for everyone. But in any case, I love this season's casting!

And I'm still hoping that one of the all-female teams will be the first to win this season. That'll be just awesome.
TAR 26: Hayley and Blair` Mike and Rochelle` Jelani and Jenny`
Survivor 30: Jenn` Joe` Hali` Sierra`
AI 14: Jax` Clark` Joey`

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #110 on: October 13, 2010, 05:43:06 AM »
Ruth

Katie & Rachel have had bitchy comments about teams so far in all three episodes.

Just because their are male teams doesn't mean they are alpha males.  It usually refers to athletic young males that dominate the race or male teams that dominate the race. 

Really production has moved away from that type of casting.

But seriously most of the athletic male teams would have never made some of the major stupid errors that so many of these teams have made.

The only alpha-male team i really like will always be Derek and Drew. :lol:

Jet and Cord came close, but that season suck after Steve and Allie got eliminated. I kinda wish Steve and Allie made it to Singapore to enjoy our city, but of course they might have serve as decoys. (offtopic)

But i haven't caught this episode except the last 14 minutes. I had no idea how Nat and Kat was practically last in a task and next moment they're side by side with teams who finished the leg in 2nd, 3rd or 5th...

AND, not to mention.. FINALLY... the TAR PRODUCERS heard me. They finally put a NEL at the FINAL 9. F-I-N-A-L-L-Y. I like the placement of the NEL, on a second Ghana leg which if a team indeed got too far behind due to the previous leg and couldn't catch up.. nobody would say it's unfair....  :tup:

Okay, off to finish up the episode!

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #111 on: October 13, 2010, 03:02:20 PM »
Joab,

Maybe I was watching a different episode than you, but Nat and Kat started 7th 4 minutes ahead of the last team, never got out of the back end of the pack and finished 8th. The tasks themselves tell you that only the DETOUR was time-consuming as they had reasonable taxi drivers:
1. taxi ride to Jamestown - Nat/kat lost some time when learning that boxing ROADBLOCK was behind them on what appeared to be a one way street
2. they appeared to finish quickly at the bicycle academy
3. their taxi ride to the Asebi D/A Primary School was uneventful
4. moving the construction supplies to the school took about the same amount of time for every team
5. they probably did reasonably well on the Ghana placement on the map of Africa, although this was not shown
6. they were as stumped as anyone on the Language Arts DETOUR before switching to the BICYCLE PARTS  DETOUR. Kat had trouble rolling the hoop, which cost them some time

We will know definitely when the release times for leg 4 are given at the beginning of this upcoming episode, but my guess is that they finished behind the 7th place team by about 15 minutes.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 03:08:20 PM by apskip »

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #112 on: October 13, 2010, 10:16:56 PM »
Personally  I have never had a problem with strong fit athletic male teams racing.  Just as I don't have a problem with fit young athletic couples racing, or fit young athletic women racing.

Strength is usually not a huge part of the race, endurance is and strength and endurance don't necessarily go together.

While the show usually focuses on task for most of the race's history being able to navigate (be in on foot, in a car, or other forms of transport) has been the easiest way to improve your position.

Most of the time physical strength isn't key to success.  Usually its navigation, following the clue, luck, endurance and basic problem solving skills, and the ability to learn how to do a task.  Physical strength is so not key to the race, not for most legs.