Author Topic: TAR 17 Ep 5 "Tastes Like A Million Dollars." (Norway)  (Read 70520 times)

Offline Prama

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Later!
Re: TAR 17 Ep 5 "Tastes Like A Million Dollars." (Norway)
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2010, 05:32:26 PM »
I can't watch the new promo :( :( :(

A Vegetarian racer? Could it be Kat??  :duno:
Prama's Member Game Profile
Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2010, 06:04:02 PM »
I can't watch the new promo :( :( :(

Sure you can. :kuss:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2010, 06:18:42 PM »
Well it doesn't look like a bungee to me......looks more like a fast rapel down and then climb back up with the ascenders .......that's gonna take a while.

The ski area is on the hill above Narvik. Found a photo with the matching gondola cars.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 06:30:18 PM by DrRox »
Matthew 7:15

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2010, 08:10:54 PM »
Resources: Finn maps offers better resolution than Google for the Narvik area. No streetview (only in Bergen and Oslo) and 3D available with a browser plugin (not worth it really). Here's the view of the cable car station and restaurant.

Offline furybaby

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2010, 08:15:04 PM »
@new promo
Nat has a fear of heights? And Rachel & Katie hopes she has a heart atk?? O_O;;
That's messed up .__.
Imperfection is beautiful.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2010, 06:38:54 AM »
Really?

I personally think it's going to be a detour.

If Jill and Thomas kept their Express Pass, they could use it to skip the FF, and that would be very boring right?

I don't get you... why would Jill and Thomas want to skip a FF Task if they're actually going to complete it? I mean, with the FF you're definitely going to be in first.. why do you want to use your Express Pass on a non-emergency situation?
To get a super huge lead and to prevent other teams from taking it?

And defeat all purpose of the EP?

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2010, 07:00:30 AM »
Really?

I personally think it's going to be a detour.

If Jill and Thomas kept their Express Pass, they could use it to skip the FF, and that would be very boring right?

I don't get you... why would Jill and Thomas want to skip a FF Task if they're actually going to complete it? I mean, with the FF you're definitely going to be in first.. why do you want to use your Express Pass on a non-emergency situation?
To get a super huge lead and to prevent other teams from taking it?

Dude, I don't think so, okay. If you cannot complete the fast-forward, you're screwed, but if you can use the express pass on a fast-forward, it defeats the purpose of the both the Express Pass and the Fast-forward. The fast-forward is a reward that if the team can complete the challenge, they get a free pass to skip all the tasks.

Offline AmazingRace

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yup, we didn't win. Damn.
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2010, 07:23:30 AM »

Unless one of the teams actually bypassed a team doing the Fast Forward like in Season 10.  :jumpy:

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2010, 08:08:34 AM »
Well all we know is the EP is used to skip ONE TASK........

I could see it being used on a FF if the situation was the same as Nick/Starr and Terrance/Sarah in TAR13......if T/S had the EP.....they could have skipped actually eating the horrid food and gone on to the Mat, while N/S were still eating.

In the current TAR 17.....if Jill/Thomas still had the EP......they could go to the FF challenge..if Nat/Kat were still eating, they could use the EP to skip eating and claim the FF clue and go to the mat......leaving Nat/Kat to go find the orginal roadblock/detour.

If Nat/Kat had already claimed the FF clue......then J/T could go skip whichever task was next.......the RB or Detour and catch back up or even get ahead if it was that bridge deal......that is going to take a while if they have to use ascenders to get back up to the bridge.

So far looks like the sheep's head is probably the FF. The bridge deal is the RB and one of the detours is the mountain biking. Looks like they have to ride up the mountain to me.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 08:23:12 AM by DrRox »

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2010, 10:12:00 AM »

I could see it being used on a FF if the situation was the same as Nick/Starr and Terrance/Sarah in TAR13......if T/S had the EP.....they could have skipped actually eating the horrid food and gone on to the Mat, while N/S were still eating.

In the current TAR 17.....if Jill/Thomas still had the EP......they could go to the FF challenge..if Nat/Kat were still eating, they could use the EP to skip eating and claim the FF clue and go to the mat......leaving Nat/Kat to go find the orginal roadblock/detour.

If Nat/Kat had already claimed the FF clue......then J/T could go skip whichever task was next.......the RB or Detour and catch back up or even get ahead if it was that bridge deal......that is going to take a while if they have to use ascenders to get back up to the bridge.

So far looks like the sheep's head is probably the FF. The bridge deal is the RB and one of the detours is the mountain biking. Looks like they have to ride up the mountain to me.

Yea TAR 13's FF fight between Nick and Starr and Terrence and Sarah remains as the only instance i can think of where the EP would be of extreme advantage. Another instance would be maybe when Brandon and Nicole refused to do the head shaving task, instead of heading back.. they could have used the EP. But both situation count as instances where you want to use the EP in a state of emergency still.. and as i was saying, nobody in their right mind will use their EP, even though they know they're the only one going for the FF.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2010, 10:24:31 AM »
And I am not totally convinced that SKIPPING a FF would mean you won a FF anyway...interesting to think about!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Ruth

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • With all your heart!
« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2010, 10:33:06 AM »
And I am not totally convinced that SKIPPING a FF would mean you won a FF anyway...interesting to think about!

Yes, that is true! Wouldn't skipping the FF mean that it's not completed and if it's not, the team has to complete the rest of the leg? That's indeed something interesting. What I think is that the team that wanna use the EP has to leave the FF, continue on the normal race course, and use the EP only on the next task or whichever task they wish to skip. So they actually have to go back to the normal route. Just my opinion!
TAR 26: Hayley and Blair` Mike and Rochelle` Jelani and Jenny`
Survivor 30: Jenn` Joe` Hali` Sierra`
AI 14: Jax` Clark` Joey`

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2010, 12:22:30 PM »

Yea TAR 13's FF fight between Nick and Starr and Terrence and Sarah remains as the only instance i can think of where the EP would be of extreme advantage. Another instance would be maybe when Brandon and Nicole refused to do the head shaving task, instead of heading back.. they could have used the EP. But both situation count as instances where you want to use the EP in a state of emergency still.. and as i was saying, nobody in their right mind will use their EP, even though they know they're the only one going for the FF.
Well, Phil never said the EP had to be used in cases of emergency. What if J/T had reached the 8th leg, hadn't used it and were in the lead? They could very easily use it to increase their lead. And I think it is a bit too harsh to affirm that a team is out of their mind if they choose to use the EP without it being an emergency. It's their choice after all and it could have unforeseen advantages. The EP is not exclusively a "defensive" reward, IMO.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2010, 12:51:12 PM »

I am sure there was more definite instructions in that clue envelope that Phil handed Jill/Thomas.

But as Phil described it a the start and the verbal instructions when he handed it to J/T......it was good to skip ANY task. Eating the sheeps head is a task to claim the FF clue. Just as they skipped the detour of building the tent and got the clue.....to me, the same holds for skipping eating the sheeps head. Skip eating, hand over the EP, get the clue to the Mat...

As I stated above, I am sure there is more to it than what they said. It might have expressly said you couldnt use the express pass on the FF.....but since we do not know that........

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2010, 03:17:34 PM »
I don't get the acrophobia stuff. The cable cars don't seem that much higher off the ground than the ski lift at riksgransen (photo source).
Also, the cluebox seems offset a bit from the station. This is where the bike task starts, perhaps?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2010, 03:26:48 PM »
I don't get the acrophobia stuff. The cable cars don't seem that much higher off the ground than the ski lift at riksgransen (photo source).

I was thinking maybe she is afraid for the bridge?? editing, maybe...
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Polarbear

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2010, 03:51:04 PM »
I will try to explain what hildringstimen means, although I have never heard of this phenomenen and it is quite complicated.

Hildringstimen is a word made of hildring and timen.

"timen" is "the hour"

Hildring is an unusual phenomenon when mountains or islands seems closer than they really are, or you can see them, although you normally cannot because it is not visible (not in the horizon). This happens when warm air meets the cold sea. The air is cooled down and the light moves with faster speeds in this layer of cold air, so that the light is bent towards the earth.  This happens especially in polar areas.

So hildringstimen is the hour of hildring, when the "hildring" happens.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://bilder.vgb.no/4793/3col/img_464eb79842502.jpg&imgrefurl=http://ungmann.vgb.no/2007/05/13/nib-myken-et-fiskevaer-ytterst-pa-helgelandskysten/&usg=__TWjVSn_uQBPTedsi_97aWeg-8k4=&h=443&w=591&sz=57&hl=no&start=37&zoom=1&tbnid=BgSiWN51LkdVbM:&tbnh=148&tbnw=197&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dhildring%26um%3D1%26hl%3Dno%26sa%3DN%26biw%3D1024%26bih%3D649%26tbs%3Disch:10,1500&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=724&vpy=218&dur=85&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=154&ty=135&ei=2lK_TJbSCMbtOdmF4Ew&oei=H1C_TN-lJoXLswbRvaGyDQ&esq=2&page=4&ndsp=12&ved=1t:429,r:3,s:37&biw=1024&bih=649 is an example

Hildringstimen.no is a site for traditional sailboats. The owner of the site has a boat named "Hildringstimen"

He also has a project called "Kulturnaustet". It is a traditional house where tourists and schoolchildren (++) can experience local traditions and foods based on northern-norwegian traditions.

SO! The smalahove-feast is served at Stornaustet in Vidrek: http://stornaustet.no/data/bilder/1/thumbs/H1024_Vargen%20-%20til%20nett.jpg

Vidrek is located not far from Narvik :)

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2010, 03:54:21 PM »

I was thinking maybe she is afraid for the bridge?? editing, maybe...

Well, if Nat's really afraid of going off a bridge that might explain why she & Kat went for the Fast-Forward.  And if that's the case, then we know that the Roadblock is ahead of the Detour.

Belle Book

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2010, 03:56:27 PM »
But she wouldn't have to do it because it is a RB..Kat could do it.  I :duno:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2010, 04:02:12 PM »

Hildringstimen.no is a site for traditional sailboats. The owner of the site has a boat named "Hildringstimen"

He also has a project called "Kulturnaustet". It is a traditional house where tourists and schoolchildren (++) can experience local traditions and foods based on northern-norwegian traditions.

SO! The smalahove-feast is served at Stornaustet in Vidrek: http://stornaustet.no/data/bilder/1/thumbs/H1024_Vargen%20-%20til%20nett.jpg

Vidrek is located not far from Narvik :)

Polarbear!! I think you have it!! :jumpy:

This was the missing link...I have been looking all over for that boathouse!

http://www.hildringstimen.no/sub_body.asp?side_id=39&meny_parent=642&divisjon=hovedsider&meny_id=645

This is the boathouse set up for another event...other pics at the link I gave..

« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 04:09:53 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2010, 04:09:20 PM »
Here is the boat...hope we see that too! :hearts:

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2010, 04:58:44 PM »
[/quote]

My research indicates that AR2, episode 7 had Mary/Peach losing a FAST FORWARD to Gary/Dave. With an ExpressPass they could have kept going after skipping one of the next tasks instead of being eliminated. 

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2010, 05:05:56 PM »
Thanks, Polarbear. :tup: I had been browsing around the pages but couldn't make the connection to Vidrek. (here and here). It's on the other side of the bridge from Narvik.

Offline kwando1313

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2010, 07:34:59 PM »
Wow... Did I cause a giant discussion about how the express pass was used because of my comment?

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #74 on: October 21, 2010, 06:05:58 AM »
Thanks, Polarbear. :tup: I had been browsing around the pages but couldn't make the connection to Vidrek. (here and here). It's on the other side of the bridge from Narvik.

I second your thanks to Polarbear. I was looking all over for some sort of museum or tourist site that matched the rustic indoor scene and couldn't find it. Good work!