Author Topic: TAR 17 Ep 4 "We Should Have Brought Gloves and Butt Pads."  (Read 48605 times)

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
Re: TAR 17 Ep 4 "We Should Have Brought Gloves and Butt Pads."
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2010, 03:36:32 PM »
Go Dog Go !   (apology to P.D. Eastman  :waves:)

Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2010, 05:29:11 PM »
Go to their site and look at the photos maf...it is an exact match, right down to the ice chandelier.

Those photos of the teams at the ice hotel are definitely inside a building. How do I know? I spent 3 years at Deadhorse, AK. Deadhorse is at 70 degrees NORTH latitude. Kiruna is at 68 degrees north latitude. On June 1st, there is no DARK sky at that latitude. So it has to be inside a building. Now you might say well the ice hotel itself will keep out the light.....no way. The sunlight would shine through the ice. It is most definitely inside their cold storage warehouse. That way they dont have to construct the parts again next winter.

At Deadhorse, we had about 70 days when the sun never set. It got close, but was always in the sky. That means about 35 days before June 21st, and about 35 days after June 21st. It is pretty weird, but the sun just went around in circles for those 70 days.
Matthew 7:15

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2010, 06:05:43 PM »
Here is the position of the sun on the day Teams were at Riksgransen.  The sun is never below the horizon and even shines from due North just around midnight!  

the No doubt we will hear Phil tell us that Riksgransen is the Northernmost ski resort in the world.  And that they have all-day all-night 24-hour skiing there.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 06:09:27 PM by Chateau d If »
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2010, 06:26:22 PM »
Go to their site and look at the photos maf...it is an exact match, right down to the ice chandelier.

Those photos of the teams at the ice hotel are definitely inside a building. How do I know? I spent 3 years at Deadhorse, AK. Deadhorse is at 70 degrees NORTH latitude. Kiruna is at 68 degrees north latitude. On June 1st, there is no DARK sky at that latitude. So it has to be inside a building. Now you might say well the ice hotel itself will keep out the light.....no way. The sunlight would shine through the ice. It is most definitely inside their cold storage warehouse. That way they dont have to construct the parts again next winter.

At Deadhorse, we had about 70 days when the sun never set. It got close, but was always in the sky. That means about 35 days before June 21st, and about 35 days after June 21st. It is pretty weird, but the sun just went around in circles for those 70 days.

I looked up the weather data for May and early June 2010 for Kiruna on the weather underground site (http://www.wunderground.com). May had an average high temperature of 49, an average low temperature of 33 and a mean temperature of 41. Unless the building had refrigeration built in (doubtful), it would have been melting for weeks before TAR 17 arrived. I have to agree with maf that we will be seeing some reconstructed portions of the Ice Hotel in a refrigerated warehouse.

For what it's worth, the weather at Kiruna when TAR was there was not too extraordinary. June 1st had a high of 48 and a low of 32, no precipitation and winds around 10 mph in the afternoon. June 2nd had a high of 59 and a low of 32 with winds of 10 to 20 mph from 8 AM until 4 PM and some light rain (officially not measurable - less than 0.01") after 10 PM.

Plaidmoon

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2010, 06:50:24 PM »
In cap 13 you can see the sled dogs and their houses behind the rider...

I'm not 100% certain, but caps 12 and 13 (the video gives a better look in the background) look like they match up with the scene of the Snowtrail Dogcamp Lodge about 2/3 of the way down this page:

http://www.kirunadogcamp.com/winter-lappland.html.

You're right, north09, scenes in previews 1 and 2 clearly match up with the Ice Hotel (as if there was much doubt). There's a nice video of the ice hotel on this page:

http://www.simplysweden.co.uk/icehotel/.

Sorry, I'm at work, so I can't grab images or videos and embed them.  :(

Plaidmoon

Thanks Plaidmoon! Here is the Snowtrail Dog Camp with some other caps of the doggie houses...what do y'all think?

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2010, 06:54:22 PM »

Why in heaven's name were you at Deadhorse?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2010, 06:54:48 PM »

No I haven't seen the video, just the caps. but  I do not think that is the real Ice hotel. It looks more like the storage shed where they store the ice over the summer. There are a number of ice blocks stored in the background, and the place looks very big. As far as I know the actual ice hotel lacks any really large indoor spaces. Also as far as I know the hotel should be melted when the race passed by.

To me it looks like the back of the clue just reads "Route info" written in two different fonts on top of each other.

Sorry maf...I misread what you wrote. We knew from earlier that the actual ICEHOTEL would be out of season, but I thought you meant just a random stage set somewhere...my bad. :-[
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2010, 06:57:57 PM »
Why in heaven's name were you at Deadhorse?

Cuz I got paid exhorbitant amounts of money to dig holes in the ground.  I thought I told you before. I was up there before they built the haul road. We worked 42 on and 21 off. It's a VERY lonely place......lol

I used to fly from Deadhorse to Honolulu with stopover in Anchorage. We would go from -70 to +70 in matter of hours......talk about shock. The Hawaiians would really thing we were crazy wearing T shirts and shorts. We got on the plain in feathers and micky mouse boots and got off in T shirts and shorts. I miss the days of the Wienie birds. I actually exchange emails occasionally with the grandson of the guy that started Wien Air Alaska. He posts the Cockpit Chronicles at Gadling.com.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 07:06:56 PM by DrRox »

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2010, 07:06:20 PM »
Go to the end (around 1:40) of this clip to see the dog camp that gets my vote:

But I like the look of Peach's dog camp better.   :lol:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2010, 07:15:02 PM »
Go to the end (around 1:40) of this clip to see the dog camp that gets my vote:

But I like the look of Peach's Plaidmoon's dog camp better.   :lol:

Seen one dog camp, seen them all?? :lol:

ANd my dog just jumped out of his skin when I played that! :ascared:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2010, 07:33:42 PM »
At those latitudes, the air temp is about a tertiary measure of the heat. It's about the Heat of Fusion and the tremendous about of radiant energy sucked up by the ice and snow and held. The specific heat of water molecule is so high it just takes a long time for the sun's energy to get back into the air and heat it up.

Offline Blob

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2010, 11:47:26 AM »
I'm having trouble matching the location of the dogsledding but i think I have matched a dog to the IceHotel !   :lol:

Look in this youtube video of dogsledding at the Ice Hotel:  YouTube

Here are video captures from the preview and from the YouTube video:

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2010, 11:50:02 AM »
There's a lot to choose from: in addition to the one Peach found, there's HuskySafari, HuskyTours, Kiruna Sleddog Tours, Active Lapland and probably several others. My vote is with Active Lapland; they have a Facebook page with some good trail photos.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2010, 07:03:09 PM »
Thanks to Peach's HD capture, you can see roof supports and what looks like a skylight in the corner of a couple of frames.

Offline Blob

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2010, 03:55:43 AM »
I'm having trouble matching the location of the dogsledding but i think I have matched a dog to the IceHotel !   :lol:

Look in this youtube video of dogsledding at the Ice Hotel:  YouTube

Here are video captures from the preview and from the YouTube video:
Yes, and the snow matches so it must be the same location :lol:

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2010, 08:54:27 PM »
What they hell are the riding in the snow?  I know its been awhile but it doesn't look like any snowmobiles I have ever seen.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2010, 09:59:47 PM »
I know it sounds stupid, but...that bear is bothering me. Is it phony? The hair color of the head doesn't match the body color.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2010, 10:15:58 PM »
Maybe one of the hair stylists got to him?? :lol3:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline furybaby

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2010, 10:59:54 PM »
ahahahahaha that shocked me for the second when Micheal was like "Oh, there's a bear" XD  :lol:
Imperfection is beautiful.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2010, 11:27:42 PM »
I'll probably be eating lots of crow later, but for now I'll calling it...it's the hood for a black bear on the costume of a brown bear. The face (eyes, mouth open, etc.) doesn't change a mm, and the "bear" stays rampant the whole time.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2010, 12:35:23 AM »
What they hell are the riding in the snow?  I know its been awhile but it doesn't look like any snowmobiles I have ever seen.

I live way way south of snowmobile country, but I just assumed it was a mini-snowmobile. Along the same line as mini-motorcycles and mini-4wheelers that they manufacture for little people.

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2010, 09:38:05 AM »

I live way way south of snowmobile country, but I just assumed it was a mini-snowmobile. Along the same line as mini-motorcycles and mini-4wheelers that they manufacture for little people.
I think the LA based web monkeys (who have probably never seen snow) are using a very loose interpretation of the term "snowmobile".
We call them snow racers  - non-motorized downhill thingys - lots of fun but hard on the butt.
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2010, 12:46:08 PM »
Just received an anonymous tip re the machines: :thankyou:

Look at http://www.techsled.com

Looks like FUN to me!! :hearts:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2010, 09:38:27 PM »
New promo here:
http://www.etonline.com/tv/101869_Can_Amazing_Race_s_Kevin_Michael_Wu_Survive_a_Last_Place_Finish/index.html
Detour is Beds or Sleds - Kevin and Michael start off with Beds.
Sorry, don't have time to capture it.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 09:47:23 PM by walkingpneumonia »
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2010, 10:26:19 PM »
Thanks. Chateau called it: the cluebox is at Vassijaure station (photo source).