Author Topic: EP 4 East Coast SHOW updates and commentary **please read the rules**  (Read 13357 times)

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
Re: EP 4 East Coast SHOW updates and commentary **please read the rules**
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2010, 11:18:23 PM »
Not sure exactly why, but I'm enjoying this new season quite a bit! Perhaps because the racers are too?

I was thinking during the episode that this season has had an early TAR feel to it we haven't seen in a long time.  The teams seem to have more of the comrade-in-arms of unknown adventure that permeated those early Races. And the tasks also seem to be more thought out and fit the places they're at.

It's definitely has a feel of TAR returning to its roots, something I can easily sign off on.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2010, 12:12:04 AM »
Not sure exactly why, but I'm enjoying this new season quite a bit! Perhaps because the racers are too?
I think everybody enjoyed the Roadblock, and even Johnathan & Connor had fun throughout the episode, I think all teams ended the leg on a positive note.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline Ruth

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • With all your heart!
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2010, 07:49:00 AM »
I don't know if it's just me, but this season, I'm practically finding every moment of the race exciting. Right from the start when teams were getting tickets for the flights. We didn't know if any of the teams on the later flights would find out about the earlier one. We didn't know if Michael and Kevin were going to make the connection. And at the end, it was a three-way race to the finish when Jill and Thomas used their Express Pass. Man, I'm SO loving this season! It's just EXCITING! And I love it that they check the first few teams in barely through half of the episode. This way, we get to see more drama among the remaining teams. Awesome!

I believed that Nat and Kat would finally pick themselves up this leg, and they did! Second-last to first place! Yes, I'm really hoping they'll be the first all-female team to win the race. Please!!

I'm really impressed with Michael and Kevin's performance this leg. To an extent I thought that they would do a Jet and Cord and come in first despite a Speed Bump! But them finishing the Roadblock in first was already awesome. I'm loving this father-son team more and more, I love the support and respect they have for each other. Great finish this leg!

I wouldn't have expected Jill and Thomas to use their Express Pass this early. I thought that it'd only be towards the end of the race. But I guess they had to, they were in last place. And this makes things more exciting I guess. Now that the Express Pass is out of the picture, everyone's on equal ground again. And BTW, I actually thought that the scene where they were lost reminded me of the scene Tammy and Victor was lost in TAR14, in one of the earlier legs. De javu?

I didn't expect Connor and Jonathan to come in last. The Detour screwed them over! But I was touched by Connor's attitude when Jonathan struggled. He was really encouraging, in contrast to Chad's behaviour. Man, I'm really sad that they're gone. I cried at their departure, seriously! And I've never done that for an all-male team. They've been a relatively strong team on the race, and a bundle of positive energy. I'm sad they're gone, but I like it that they took it so well. That ending scene when they threw their caps, sang their "swan song" and departed with their joyful faces... Man it really made me cry! Awww. Well as they said... They not only graduated from Princeton, they graduated from the Amazing Race. With a song!
TAR 26: Hayley and Blair` Mike and Rochelle` Jelani and Jenny`
Survivor 30: Jenn` Joe` Hali` Sierra`
AI 14: Jax` Clark` Joey`

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2010, 11:01:16 AM »
The first four teams went to the storage area for the ice in the Icehotel.  Michael & Kevin did the Speedbump, but they still got to the Roadblock first -- I guess the teams in front got a little lost.

Michael, Claire, Kat and Mallory did the Roadblock but Kat didn't have a great huskie team.  Still, they're way ahead of the others, who just arrived.

So while the first four teams are on their way to a train station, the other five are either doing the Roadblock (Connor & Jonathan, Chad & Stephanie, Katie & Rachel and Nick & Vicki) or really lost (Jill & Thomas).  But now Jill & Thomas are heading back.

Belle Book

Belle Book,

I think it is important to get the time sequences understood better. It is logical to assume that the last 5 teams took the same time to reach the get through the Ice Hotel get clue and dog sled camp ROADBLOCK and then drive to Vassijure station for the DETOURs. My airline arrival information (see AR17 flight Information thread) puts the first group either 2.15 or 2.75 hours ahead of the second. The time to do the DETOUR could have been as little as 30 minutes to go up the chairlift and ride the Techsleds down, but in any event would have been quite a bit faster than 2.15 to 2.75 hours. The only team from the first group who could possibly have seen any team from the second one (and even there I strongly doubt it) was Michael/Kevin if they took more than 2 hours to do Beds.

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2010, 03:41:18 PM »
The first four teams went to the storage area for the ice in the Icehotel.  Michael & Kevin did the Speedbump, but they still got to the Roadblock first -- I guess the teams in front got a little lost.

Michael, Claire, Kat and Mallory did the Roadblock but Kat didn't have a great huskie team.  Still, they're way ahead of the others, who just arrived.

So while the first four teams are on their way to a train station, the other five are either doing the Roadblock (Connor & Jonathan, Chad & Stephanie, Katie & Rachel and Nick & Vicki) or really lost (Jill & Thomas).  But now Jill & Thomas are heading back.

Belle Book

Belle Book,

I think it is important to get the time sequences understood better. It is logical to assume that the last 5 teams took the same time to reach the get through the Ice Hotel get clue and dog sled camp ROADBLOCK and then drive to Vassijure station for the DETOURs. My airline arrival information (see AR17 flight Information thread) puts the first group either 2.15 or 2.75 hours ahead of the second. The time to do the DETOUR could have been as little as 30 minutes to go up the chairlift and ride the Techsleds down, but in any event would have been quite a bit faster than 2.15 to 2.75 hours. The only team from the first group who could possibly have seen any team from the second one (and even there I strongly doubt it) was Michael/Kevin if they took more than 2 hours to do Beds.

Yeah, but the TV editing just makes it seem like the second group is closer to the first one than they really are.

Belle Book

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2010, 04:00:52 PM »
You're quite right, but editors are paid to fake us out. They want it to seem that parts of the race are much closer than they really are, particularly with respect to the time differential for the last place team versus the next-to-last. They never give you that, so you have to use reasonable assumptions to make educated guesses.