Author Topic: TAR 17 EP 3 "In Phil We Trust" (Ghana)  (Read 45712 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR 17 EP 3 "In Phil We Trust" (Ghana)
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2010, 01:09:11 AM »
caps!

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2010, 01:34:02 AM »
Transcript please. :lol:

BTW, they have used clips from Namibia and Batoka Gorge (1 and 2 and 3) from season's past, right? :jam:
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2010, 01:40:46 AM »
Anyone able to get us a decent look at the patches on the school unis in the new promo?

I think they have been blurred...

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Obbyz

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2010, 01:58:54 AM »
I think this leg may be a NEL , as we see from time spoiler , lot of teams are on sightseeing to Saint Petersburg , Russia . The Geography Quiz is hard maybe Jill & Thomas use their Express Pass in this leg.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2010, 02:01:27 AM »
So Team Glee is in first at some point?
awesome

Doubtful. They arrive apologizing for being late, and we see several other "classrooms" set up as well, as was pointed out. They then have some trouble with the task...
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2010, 02:12:37 AM »
I have something in mind.

NOTE: I haven't seen the video so I don't know what Phil says there and hence, the rules itself.

I think the African Geography task would just let the racers put tag on only a few countries, not all. And if teams failed to answer all, they would get a penalty before moving on... it would be impossible for all teams to answer them all correctly.
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2010, 02:27:49 AM »
I have something in mind.

NOTE: I haven't seen the video so I don't know what Phil says there and hence, the rules itself.

I think the African Geography task would just let the racers put tag on only a few countries, not all. And if teams failed to answer all, they would get a penalty before moving on... it would be impossible for all teams to answer them all correctly.

You can see the vid. :kuss: But the point is good!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2010, 09:14:48 AM »
I wonder if the geography quiz is just a task to get the detour clue?
Matthew 7:15

Offline Dragoondaniel

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2010, 09:38:26 AM »
Thanks peach for uploading that preview clip (it's on the 1st post of the thread for those who haven't seen it yet). It was so annoying trying to get past the geographical restriction. Please do us non-USA'ers a big favour by doing it for every episode. Haha love you loads & cheers!   :hearts: :hearts:
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 09:42:38 AM by Dragoondaniel »

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2010, 10:53:46 AM »
I think this leg may be a NEL , as we see from time spoiler , lot of teams are on sightseeing to Saint Petersburg , Russia . The Geography Quiz is hard maybe Jill & Thomas use their Express Pass in this leg.

You know, that's possible -- perhaps it's a NEL.  Although I've yet to hear of a NEL on the third leg of this race.

Incidentally, I'm pretty good with geography -- I watched Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?  If I'd ever gotten on the show, I'd probably have done very well on it -- I would've gotten North America, South America, and Europe all right.  I'd also have done pretty well with Asia.  But I think I would've struggled with Africa, even if I have a good idea of where most of the countries are.  I think even I might've had a hard time with this task!

Belle Book

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2010, 11:04:01 AM »
I'm pretty sure that I could get them all right, especially if all the names were right there to put on the map. While a few countries have changed names since the 1950s, only two new states (formed out of Ethiopia) have been created in all that time.

And I knew them all by heart in 7th grade (junior high school) and aced the geography course.  Of course, that was several decades ago.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2010, 11:19:40 AM »
Aww. Saw the vid already. It looks fun. I always loved Geography and Countries and Cultures because of TAR. I learn many things about places because of TAR.

And locating Ghana on the map? I know it! Heee! :lol:

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2010, 11:30:42 AM »
I am doubtful of the fact that Connor & Jonathan were first on the African Geography Task. That is because of the fact that Web Monkeys can manipulate the promos very well and they can make it seem it's accurately true. Take the example of Brooke and Claire's Watermelon Promo. On airtime, Katie and Rachel were also seen in between those shots, but on the promo, they weren't.

If I were a promo maker of TAR, I would definitely showcase how "deceptively simple" the African Quiz is. By using Phil's introduction and a team that is surely failing the task, it would be done. Connor and Jonathan were good in this, they would fit in. It's either they are indeed first, or the Web Monkeys did their job very well.

BUT, HERE's a question for everyone that may answer everything:

Before Phil explains the task, there was a brief rush of screen change. Can you make out something from this? :lol: My imagination tells me it's Jonathan (the one with the eyeglasses) :lol:
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 12:49:48 PM by Cocoa »

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2010, 12:37:49 PM »
Anyone able to get us a decent look at the patches on the school unis in the new promo?
I doubt if much could be learned from the badges: some students wear them, some don't; some badges are circular, some aspidate. Either the children were trucked in from different schools, or if they're from the same school then the badges are for merit or class standing.

Offline KingCrimson88

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2010, 03:23:14 PM »
Damn I would have aced that quiz.

Offline north09

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2010, 03:41:17 PM »

Since this leg takes place in the same country as the last episode (in this case, Ghana), It could very well be a NEL. CBS has been known to place their NEL's at these points. The quiz may be hard for teams who arn't as familiar with geography, but I can see Thomas & Jill doing well on this. The Express Pass will most likley be used at a later stage of the race.

Offline MamaT

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2010, 04:44:03 PM »
If Connor (the President of his Princeton graduating class) & Jonathan have trouble with the African Geography task, I cant wait to see Nick & Vicky give it a try!
The promos for this week have me very confused (not a difficult task, admittedly).  We have the boxing ring stuff where we see both Brook and Connor performing the task, so it appears to be a Roadblock.  We also see 2 teams (Rachel/Katie & Nick/Vicky) with wheel barrels.  We see most of the teams doing the wheel rolling task as well.  Now, if the rolling task is a Detour, that means at least 2 teams bald-snarked the Detour.  Unusual but not unheard of.  The thing that really seems strange to me is that we only see one member of each team actually doing the rolling.  (we see Stephanie, while Chad sits on the ground; Vicky rolling while Nick sits on the ground -and seeths; Michael struggling with it while Kevin comforts him)
What do all of you super geniuses make of this?!

Offline KevinTheAmazingRaceFAN

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2010, 09:27:11 PM »
If Connor (the President of his Princeton graduating class) & Jonathan have trouble with the African Geography task, I cant wait to see Nick & Vicky give it a try!
The promos for this week have me very confused (not a difficult task, admittedly).  We have the boxing ring stuff where we see both Brook and Connor performing the task, so it appears to be a Roadblock.  We also see 2 teams (Rachel/Katie & Nick/Vicky) with wheel barrels.  We see most of the teams doing the wheel rolling task as well.  Now, if the rolling task is a Detour, that means at least 2 teams bald-snarked the Detour.  Unusual but not unheard of.  The thing that really seems strange to me is that we only see one member of each team actually doing the rolling.  (we see Stephanie, while Chad sits on the ground; Vicky rolling while Nick sits on the ground -and seeths; Michael struggling with it while Kevin comforts him)
What do all of you super geniuses make of this?!

Yeah but in promo number 1 we can see that Nick has the rolling thing too, he throws it at screams and stuff.

BTW I am pretty sure that this roadblock is gonna be something like leg 3 roadblock in The Amazing Race 13

Offline Kaylynn

• RFF Jr. Member
  • Future The amazing race contestant.
    • The Splash
« Reply #68 on: October 10, 2010, 03:19:15 AM »
awesome

Doubtful. They arrive apologizing for being late, and we see several other "classrooms" set up as well, as was pointed out. They then have some trouble with the task...

well Phil introduces the task, usually after the first team gets there.
In the sunglasses clip that aired before the ep, it showed Nick and Vicky, who were in first place at the time. Not saying Team Glee wins the leg, but are most likely in first when they arrive at the quiz.
Casting for Kaylynn's The Amazing Race 1. SIGN UP!
Current Fan Amazing Race
Kevin's Amazing Race- Kaylynn/Taylor
Amazing Race Game 5- Thomas/Kaylynn

Offline Dragoondaniel

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #69 on: October 10, 2010, 05:27:43 AM »
I think in general, even for the past seasons, they don't really manipulate the episode preview clips to mislead the placements/positioning of the teams. So if they show C/J right after Phil introduces the task, then I guess it's more or less safe to say that they're in 1st currently. Just my 2 cents. (:

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #70 on: October 10, 2010, 06:38:25 AM »
I'm pretty sure that I could get them all right, especially if all the names were right there to put on the map. While a few countries have changed names since the 1950s, only two new states (formed out of Ethiopia) have been created in all that time.

And I knew them all by heart in 7th grade (junior high school) and aced the geography course.  Of course, that was several decades ago.

the schnauzers,
Use the blank map of Africa with country shapes, take the same test as the AR17 contestants, and let's see how you do. I believe that the huge amount of changing of country names since 1960 makes it difficult to remember the new ones. Also, although I do not think it affects you and me and Dr. Rox and Gingerman, younger people did not have world geography routinely in the past several decades. Here is the list of the 45 African countries "decolonialized" since 1/1/1960:

Cameroon
Senegal
Togo
Mali
Madagascar
Democratic Republic of the Congo
Somalia
Benin
Niger
Burkina Faso
Ivory Coast
Chad
Central African Republic
Congo
Gabon
Nigeria
Mauritania
Sierra Leone
South Africa
Tanzania
Rwanda
Burundi
Algeria
Uganda
Kenya
Malawi
Zambia
the Gambia
Botswana
Lesotho
Mauritius
Swaziiand
Equitorial Africa
Guinea Bissau
Mozambique
Cape Verde islands
Comoros islands
Sao Tome and Principe
Angola
Seychelles
Djibouti
Zimbabwe
Namibia
Eritrea
Sahrawi Republic

I personally believe that in a place-on-blank-map test of these 45 countries, I would get the larger countries and the islands right and some percentage of the smaller countries right. I expect my final score would be in the 75% range. The only way that a large number of AR17 teams will pass this test is if the number of countries is mall and the countries large. I expect that Ghana itself will be one of the most difficult ones to answer.

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #71 on: October 10, 2010, 07:19:02 AM »

the schnauzers,
Use the blank map of Africa with country shapes, take the same test as the AR17 contestants, and let's see how you do. I believe that the huge amount of changing of country names since 1960 makes it difficult to remember the new ones. Also, although I do not think it affects you and me and Dr. Rox and Gingerman, younger people did not have world geography routinely in the past several decades. Here is the list of the 45 African countries "decolonialized" since 1/1/1960:

I personally believe that in a place-on-blank-map test of these 45 countries, I would get the larger countries and the islands right and some percentage of the smaller countries right. I expect my final score would be in the 75% range. The only way that a large number of AR17 teams will pass this test is if the number of countries is mall and the countries large. I expect that Ghana itself will be one of the most difficult ones to answer.

I disagree. All you need is to find South Africa, (unless you are Caite.  :lol:), use it for reference, fill in the big countries, and then guess.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #72 on: October 10, 2010, 09:36:17 AM »
awesome

In the sunglasses clip that aired before the ep, it showed Nick and Vicky, who were in first place at the time. Not saying Team Glee wins the leg, but are most likely in first when they arrive at the quiz.

I would love for them to have a great leg, they have been a joy to watch! It is the "sorry we are late" that has me on the fence...
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Kaylynn

• RFF Jr. Member
  • Future The amazing race contestant.
    • The Splash
« Reply #73 on: October 10, 2010, 09:58:12 AM »
awesome

I would love for them to have a great leg, they have been a joy to watch! It is the "sorry we are late" that has me on the fence...

When I heard them say that, I started going to theyre late because all the ghana students are there..
Casting for Kaylynn's The Amazing Race 1. SIGN UP!
Current Fan Amazing Race
Kevin's Amazing Race- Kaylynn/Taylor
Amazing Race Game 5- Thomas/Kaylynn

Offline RealityFreakWill

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • WILL & JAMES AMAZING RACE 32 CHAMPIONS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #74 on: October 10, 2010, 12:59:36 PM »
CBSTweet  just posted this twitvid...

Can U find Ghana on a map? It's not as easy as you think!