Author Topic: TAR 18 Pre-Race Speculation  (Read 90725 times)

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
Re: TAR 18 Speculation on Spoilers
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2010, 06:57:38 AM »
Speaking of pregnant, is there any possibility that they bring back Colin & Christie?

Granted that they didn't do All Stars was because she was pregnant, I think it would only be fair.

Offline Selina

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2010, 01:34:49 AM »
So I read on the Survivor Sucks forum that BB11's Kevin tweeted "supposedly next TAR is a 'twist' all stars. Not what/who you'd think."  Thoughts?  I thought maybe this could be true, given that it's only been 6 seasons since the last all-stars, and some higher ups involved with TAR mentioned that they weren't interested in doing another All-Stars... so maybe this isn't what we think it is?

Offline redwings8831

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2010, 01:35:57 AM »
So I read on the Survivor Sucks forum that BB11's Kevin tweeted "supposedly next TAR is a 'twist' all stars. Not what/who you'd think."  Thoughts?  I thought maybe this could be true, given that it's only been 6 seasons since the last all-stars, and some higher ups involved with TAR mentioned that they weren't interested in doing another All-Stars... so maybe this isn't what we think it is?

Did you even read the first two pages of this thread?

Offline Selina

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2010, 11:36:25 AM »
So I read on the Survivor Sucks forum that BB11's Kevin tweeted "supposedly next TAR is a 'twist' all stars. Not what/who you'd think."  Thoughts?  I thought maybe this could be true, given that it's only been 6 seasons since the last all-stars, and some higher ups involved with TAR mentioned that they weren't interested in doing another All-Stars... so maybe this isn't what we think it is?

Did you even read the first two pages of this thread?

I did, but I didn't see any mention of whether there could be another interpretation of "All-Stars" (maybe celebrity?).  Apologies if I missed it--I only saw speculation of whether it'd be another All-Stars version similar to season 11.  Please carry on if what I said is irrelevant! :)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 12:17:29 PM by Selina »

Offline furybaby

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2010, 08:18:02 PM »
Hmmm sounds interesting :3
n lol it seems that lots of people want the cowboys back  :hearts:
Imperfection is beautiful.

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2010, 07:00:32 PM »
I still grieve for our "lost" Tanzanian leg!!
SUre you do Peach...  Everyone knows you still have dreams of Antarctica.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2010, 07:02:26 PM »
Yeah....Antarctica is high on my list...they were so close.

But Kenya/Tanzania are places of my heart... I spent months there and loved every single second.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2010, 07:08:42 PM »

But Kenya/Tanzania are places of my heart... I spent months there and loved every single second.
I do kid.  But besides casting.  The flight issue really destroyed three full legs of the race.  For all the issues over the years that have on occasion came up its been the one to truly impact the race.  And three episodes before teams were back on the same foot is a huge, huge part of the race.

Of course the downside is that ever since then production has really worked to keep the teams together (too much so).

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2010, 07:17:17 PM »
I am expecting us to to revisit some wonderful locations this time around... they have another chance!! :yess:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2010, 09:14:22 PM »

Given what TPTB have done this season with Ghana and the Arctic Circle, the logistics to reach parts of Antarctica are no more difficule during its summer by air charter.
-- theschnauzers

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2010, 09:58:38 PM »
bring back india

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2010, 05:47:14 AM »
bring back india

I remembered the many Indian legs we had in a few consecutive season... :lol:

Actually, i don't care where they go, as long as they give me my TAR. :lol:

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #62 on: October 13, 2010, 06:03:52 AM »
K

My Suggestion would be:

Jaime/Cara

You can forget about the team too. Jamie has a one year personal services contract to Playboy and Cara is in law school. Cara won't be taking another break from her studies to compete again in TAR.
Matthew 7:15

Offline Kaylynn

• RFF Jr. Member
  • Future The amazing race contestant.
    • The Splash
« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2010, 09:04:32 AM »
This All-Stars is like HvV on Survivor (10 yr Anniversary right?). Well that was a great season imo. I like All-Stars so I hope people don't give up too soon! And Peach, this sounds like a def go... from what you said in Post 21 right?!

And also, will it feature only teams from TAR12- or can the likes of Colin and Christie return? If this season won't be All-Stars 2 but they need a All-Stars name "Best of the Best" fits and Colin and Christie are arguably one of the greatest teams ever. Just wondered if your comment about it being 12 on was right or not?  :tup:

I agree. Colin and Christie were supposed to be on All Stars but Christie was pregnant, so they denied.
It would be awesome to see them compete again
Casting for Kaylynn's The Amazing Race 1. SIGN UP!
Current Fan Amazing Race
Kevin's Amazing Race- Kaylynn/Taylor
Amazing Race Game 5- Thomas/Kaylynn

Offline jps0228

• RFF Jr. Member
  • I make Amazing Race SIMS Version Videos!!
« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2010, 07:16:08 AM »

All-Stars Wishlist!  :jumpy:

(Not counting teams that are in the Final 3)
(TAR12-TAR16)
Nathan & Jennifer
Kynt & Vyxin
Toni & Dallas
Kelly & Christie
Flight Time & Big Easy
Maria & Tiffany
Jordan & Jeff
Jody & Shannon
Monique & Shawne
Steve & Allie
Terence & Sarah
"I heard you're dad went into a restaurant and ate everything at the restaurant and they have to close the restaurant" -Ralph Wiggum

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2010, 11:12:23 AM »
Please no contestant wishlists in here.

This is for speculation and spoilers on the season.

:ty3:

Contestant thread is here:

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,23391.0.html
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline mjriches2005

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2010, 12:37:50 PM »
If season 18 begins filming next month as an 2nd All-Star season,  I speculate that we may see more Africa and Oceania next season and possibly Brazil again with the chance of more Asia.  I also hope we get 13 legs again with a intermediate destination on the final leg.  Even an actual Pit Stop in Canada or Finland would be nice.  Canada has been visited only twice and Finland once and both of these countries were either a intermediate stop or in Finland's case a TBC point.  For Brazil, I hope they visit Manaus and Brasilia, and in Oceania a return to Australia would be nice and even a new Pacific Island country like Palau or Fiji.  For Asia, Bahrain or Jordan is a chance, even Laos and Indonesia, but Central Vietnam is a must have and so is Malaysian Borneo.  And for Africa, Morocco should make a comeback and Zimbabwe or Gabon should also get visits.  For the final leg(s), Northern Alaska like Fairbanks or Barrow would be nice or Southeast Alaska would be great.  Just have more starting lines that's not in Los Angeles for a while.

:yess:  

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2010, 01:20:56 PM »
Fairbanks or Barrow

You are really not serious are you?

Offline mjriches2005

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2010, 01:32:17 PM »
Fairbanks or Barrow

I am serious, everytime the race visits Alaska, its mainly around the Anchorage area.  Fairbanks is a good sized city and Barrow is the most northernmost city in the US.  Fairbanks has alot around there and Barrow is right next to the Arctic Ocean.  Imagine teams taking a dip in the frozen sea as a task, they swam in a frozen lake in South Korea during Season 4.  Plus Juneau the state capital is also on my list due to the mountainous backdrop and the nearby glaciers.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2010, 04:24:28 PM »
I haven't been to Barrow, but I have been all around Fairbanks and as far as you can go on roads (not far) around Juneau and to Glacier Bay by boat from there. I have also been on the Alaska Inside Passage cruise ship route (Ketchikan, Petersburg, Sitka, Skagway) and my cousin has sent me reports that Seward, Whittier and Kenai are all worth visiting. Alaska is full of interesting things. If one of the above were the first stop in a east-to-west Amazing Race, there would be time to take in the natural beauty.  The reason it has been Anchorage so often is that it is at the end of west-to-east race and the flights from Anchorage to mainland U.S. cities are far better than for any other city in Alaska.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2010, 04:34:04 PM »
I wonder how will WRP decide the teams this time (if it indeed is an All-Stars)
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline inomu

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2010, 06:12:05 PM »
Even an actual Pit Stop in Canada or Finland would be nice.  Canada has been visited only twice and Finland once and both of these countries were either a intermediate stop or in Finland's case a TBC point.

I really doubt that they're coming to Finland because northern Finland = northern Sweden/Norway (except less mountains, more forests). And southern Finland in November/early December is the most boring and ugly place on earth (and I can say this because I'm Finnish). But if they'll come to Finland I got my camera ready!

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #72 on: October 24, 2010, 04:24:13 AM »
Fairbanks or Barrow

I am serious, everytime the race visits Alaska, its mainly around the Anchorage area.  Fairbanks is a good sized city and Barrow is the most northernmost city in the US.  Fairbanks has alot around there and Barrow is right next to the Arctic Ocean.  Imagine teams taking a dip in the frozen sea as a task, they swam in a frozen lake in South Korea during Season 4.  Plus Juneau the state capital is also on my list due to the mountainous backdrop and the nearby glaciers.

I doubt that TAR would visit Fairbanks or Barrow during a season showing in the winter/spring period because it's just too cold. From the weather underground, I found this weather data:

Fairbanks
November 25th (a random date a month from now that I picked)
Average High Temp 7F           Record High Temp 54F
Average Low Temp -11F        Record Low Temp -43

June 4th (a date that would have occurred near the end of the running of the current season)
Average High Temp 68F         Record High Temp 86F
Average Low Temp 45F         Record Low Temp 29F

Barrow
November 25th
Average High Temp -5F         Record High Temp  30F
Average Low Temp -10F       Record Low Temp -36F

June 4th
Average High Temp  35F      Record High Temp 47F
Average Low Temp 27F        Record Low Temp 8F

If they visited either place in late November or December, they would be running around in zero or sub zero temperatures trying to accomplish tasks. Possibly as cold as 20 below zero. They would have to limit outdoor time greatly to avoid frostbite. Not to mention that poor Phil would likely be out there for hours unless it was an indoor pit stop. Polar bear plunge dips in the ocean would be very unwise. At the very least, you'd have teams shivering and complaining about how cold they were. That's not great TV. Also, camera and sound equipment might have issues being used in that kind of cold. I know that Fairbanks is prone to ice fog in the winter. That could impact air travel. Day time is down to about 5 hours and 15 minutes in Fairbanks and even less in Barrow.

If they ever go to either place, it would have to be in early summer for the seasons that start airing in September. Juneau is a slight possibility for November/December, but it also is subject to weather problems impacting air travel. They get some strong storms.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #73 on: October 24, 2010, 06:23:12 AM »
I still remember a particularily delightful day in Deadhorse. Deadhorse is about 150 miles ESE from Barrow. We actually worked outside in -75 F and a nice 70 mph breeze. We didn't work very long or very much. We kept having to go inside to warm up. Plaidmoon didnt post it, but the wind blows ALL THE TIME in the winter. See if you can find a chart with the wind chill for those conditions.

It is also very very DARK at that time of year. You would have to have a lot of extra lighting equipment/people to shoot any kind of TV production outside. So why go up there to shoot in a bldg....I am sure everyone was so excited to see the interior scenes of the ice block storage bldg in Kiruna.

As long as TAR keeps its present shooting schedule of odd numbered races in late spring and even numbered races in late fall, it would be beyond ludicrous, into the realm of absurdity to go there around the winter solstice to film TAR18. The best time to shoot TAR on the Slope would be late July/early Aug and thats to close to the start of the fall TV schedule.

I once spent an hour layover for my flight in Barrow in the winter....it was about 59 minutes to long. To be quite frank, TAR has already shown the interesting native stuff in Alaska in previous TARs. The only thing left, that would not be a repeat, would be something related to the oil industry/pipeline related activities around Deadhorse.

Fairbanks is in a hole between the Brooks Range to the north and the Alaska Range to the south. In winter, it is notorious for white out conditions. It the summer, you could do some of the gold panning stuff or do some military stuff at the army fort or air force base, ala Guam.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 07:12:47 AM by DrRox »

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #74 on: October 25, 2010, 05:14:18 AM »
I still remember a particularily delightful day in Deadhorse. Deadhorse is about 150 miles ESE from Barrow. We actually worked outside in -75 F and a nice 70 mph breeze. We didn't work very long or very much. We kept having to go inside to warm up. Plaidmoon didnt post it, but the wind blows ALL THE TIME in the winter. See if you can find a chart with the wind chill for those conditions.

It is also very very DARK at that time of year. You would have to have a lot of extra lighting equipment/people to shoot any kind of TV production outside. So why go up there to shoot in a bldg....I am sure everyone was so excited to see the interior scenes of the ice block storage bldg in Kiruna.

As long as TAR keeps its present shooting schedule of odd numbered races in late spring and even numbered races in late fall, it would be beyond ludicrous, into the realm of absurdity to go there around the winter solstice to film TAR18. The best time to shoot TAR on the Slope would be late July/early Aug and thats to close to the start of the fall TV schedule.

I once spent an hour layover for my flight in Barrow in the winter....it was about 59 minutes to long. To be quite frank, TAR has already shown the interesting native stuff in Alaska in previous TARs. The only thing left, that would not be a repeat, would be something related to the oil industry/pipeline related activities around Deadhorse.

Fairbanks is in a hole between the Brooks Range to the north and the Alaska Range to the south. In winter, it is notorious for white out conditions. It the summer, you could do some of the gold panning stuff or do some military stuff at the army fort or air force base, ala Guam.

I couldn't find a wind chill chart that covered conditions as extreme as you described, but I found the wind chill formula at http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/windchill/index.shtml. If my calculations are correct (and I'm not all that certain they are - I had a much higher number the first time I calculated it), the wind chill for -75F (-59.4C for those more familiar with Celsius temperatures) and 70 mph winds is -144.7F (-96C). That sounds nightmarish.  :holysheep The worst i saw during my 3 winters in North Dakota was roughly -30F (-34.4C) with a 35 mph wind. That was a -69F (-56.1 C) wind chill. That was bad enough, I can only imagine how much worse it would be to drop it another 75 degrees.

I've never been to Alaska, so I can't vouch for the winds up there. North Dakota is much further south but it did tend to be windy. I had a friend in North Dakota who had lived in Barrow for seven years and he said that people mostly stayed indoors during the winter unless they had a good reason to go out. He said there wasn't a lot to see or do up there aside from the oil industry. That and polar bears.   :escape  

He did say that because the oil workers made so much :toast, they had quite a few of the fast food outlets you'd see down here. While that's interesting (at least to me), I don't think it would be an attraction for TAR.