Author Topic: TAR 18 Pre-Race Speculation  (Read 90741 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
TAR 18 Pre-Race Speculation
« on: September 22, 2010, 02:08:39 AM »
The Amazing Race will be back! Although fans are still waiting for word of an official renewal from CBS for our favorite series, TAR 18 is apparently a definite GO!!

Plans for TAR 18 seem to be well under way. The next season of TAR will reportedly include a group of former racers from Season 12 onwards, and may already be completely casted. At least one round of "final" racer casting interviews has already occurred.

With the lack of any official TAR 18 applications, it has been widely speculated online for months that TAR 18 could be an "All-Stars" of some sort. While that term is not being used officially as of yet, it IS clear that we are going to have another chance to see some of our favorite (and perhaps not so favorite racers) in action again!

Filming is expected to begin later this fall.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 10:05:29 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR 18 Speculation on Spoilers
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 02:31:01 AM »
Great news, although I fully expected there would be a TAR 18!

:jumpy: :beer: :jumpy:  :party: :jumpy:  :yess: :jumpy: :tup:

I look forward to Luke's comments (or more likely, his complete silence).   :lol:

Plaidmoon
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 02:41:14 AM by Plaidmoon2 »

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 03:10:56 AM »
I speculate that Kynt and Vyxsin, as one of the most recognizable and "out there" teams in the shows history, will get to come back for another go.  :hearts:

Offline TARdevotee

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 03:57:05 AM »
Glad there is a TAR18! BUT...didn't think they'd be bringing back former racers so soon! Might they be celebrating TAR's 10th Anniversary or something? It's a little early considering 10 years would have been official come September 5, 2011 (the next Fall season). So what's up with that casting call in Boston a few weeks ago and the one coming up in Atlantic City? Do you think there's a possibility it's a Fans vs. Favorites thing? I don't know, happy but disappointed. Well, here's to hoping for Ronald & Christina, Terence & Sarah and Jaime & Cara!

Offline milanissimo

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 07:11:19 AM »
another all star :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:
For me:
sure:
Jet  cord
micheal louie
meghan cheyne
fligh time big easy
marge luke
nick starr
Kynt  Vyxsin

Maybe:
carol brandy
zev justin
cara jamie
mel mike
tony dallas
kelly christy
ken tina
ronald christina
nathan jennifer

And ..someone of tar 17...

Offline Competitor

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 07:30:16 AM »
Great work, Peach!

Anything but a celebrity edition. I think that before they would do a Jet/Cord they'll bring in Brent/Caite and Carol/Brandy. They'll want to stoke those fires again. If an all-girl team doesn't win 17, then I think you'll see Keisha/Jenn and Jamie/Cara again. Although I'm not sure how Jamie's newfound celebrity might affect that possibility.

I'd like to see Dallas/Toni again. If it's truly "All-Stars" then you need to have teams that finished in the top 4-5 of their season. I would love to see Flight Time/Big Easy again...

I think that you could have an interesting season if you left winners out:

1. Kynt/Vyxsin
2. Ronald/Christina
3. Toni/Dallas
4. Dan/Andrew OR Ken/Tina
5. Margie/Luke
6. Jamie/Cara OR Keisha/Jenn
7. Flight Time/Big Easy
8. Carol/Brandy
9. Brent/Caite
10. Season 17?
11. Season 17?

I think I could go with that. The only reason I list Brent/Caite is because I think that the biggest storyline of 16 was Carol/Brandy and Brent/Caite and the powers that be will want to milk that one again.

I don't know if Ken and Tina would want to do it again. If not, see if the bumbling frat guys can run an ugly race again.

Now, if they want previous winners on the show, I would love to see a race that included:

Meghan/Cheyne
Nick/Starr
TK/Rachel
Tammy/Victor
Flight Time/Big Easy
Jet/Cord
Jamie/Cara
Toni/Dallas
Kynt/Vyxsin
Season 17
Season 17

Offline Sandra1991

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 03:02:27 PM »
I'm excited for a race with former teams! Let's hope they bring on some of my favorite teams  :hearts:

Offline kwando1313

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 07:19:36 PM »
A former teams season would be great... But would they also go back to pre-Season 11 winners as well that didn't compete in Season 11?

And wow, that would be a VERY interesting season. But stick in Jet and Cord...

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 11:04:37 PM »
ugh. Another wishlist-of-teams posts. :groan: We already have a thread for that, I think it would be better to discuss other speculations, NOT wishlists. :waves:
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 12:15:48 AM »
Some interesting dates concerning Jet and Cord......

The Professional Bull Riders Finals in Vegas are Oct 20-25th, 2110. The National Finals Rodeo is also in Vegas from Dec 2 to Dec 11th, 2110.
Matthew 7:15

Offline Competitor

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 03:21:59 AM »

The Professional Bull Riders Finals in Vegas are Oct 20-25th, 2110. The National Finals Rodeo is also in Vegas from Dec 2 to Dec 11th, 2110.

Didn't they skip the December rodeo to do TAR last year? I know that TAR was filming during that time, and I'm pretty sure the rodeo was at that time as well.

I remember Maria and Tiffany skipped the WSOP to do their edition of the Race.

Does anyone know if Ken and Tina have said that they don't want to do TAR again? For some reason, I thought that I had seen a quote where they said something along the lines of, "we loved the race and are grateful for it, but one time is enough." Am I mistaken on this one?

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 04:45:32 AM »

I'm by no means a rodeo expert even though I live in a fanatical rodeo town. The 100th Pendleton Round Up was last week and we're just getting back to normal. Anyway, I looked over the Pro Rodeo Cowboy Association (PRCA) site (they run the National Finals Rodeo) at http://www.prorodeo.com and I couldn't find Cord or Jet McCoy anywhere in the standings for any event. So, I doubt if they will qualify for the National Finals Rodeo.

Cord definitely competes in the Professional Bull Riders (PBR) Tour http://www.pbrnow.com. I don't fully understand how their tour is set up, but they have two divisions, the Built Ford Tough Series and the Touring Pro Division. Cord is in 69th place in the first and 15th place in the second. When you check on the qualifiers list for the Professional Bull Riders Finals, Cord is in 46th place. Ordinarily, I'd say that wouldn't be good enough to qualify for the finals, but when you are trying to put on a 2 or 3 hour show of just bull riding that goes for 10-15 seconds per contestant, they may qualify more than 50 bull riders.

As for Jet, I didn't find him at the PBR site, so I'm guessing he's not competing anywhere this year.

Even if Cord competes at the PBR finals, the PBR doesn't resume again until January 2nd or later, so Cord would have October 26th through January 1st off and TAR usually films during that window. Frankly, even finishing last in TAR 18 would probably be more than he would make in one or two events, so it would be worth his while to skip them for another shot at TAR if it were to run past the first of the year.

Plaidmoon

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 05:50:25 AM »
Those two events are like the Super Bowl of football. Whether competing or not, cowboys attend. They missed last year on TAR.....lots of politicing goes on there about which rodeos they will attend in the next year.

And you are right Plaidmoon2, after the NFR, rodeo cowboys take a winter break. They start back up with the Fort Worth Rodeo and Stock Show which it the first of the year.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 12:35:53 PM »
Keep in mind that the filming dates might be earlier than for TAR 16, and all that's required with the 21-day filming cycle that's been in vogue since TAR 12, and using teams that have been on TAR before, a team could only need to be away for four weeks; from what I'm gathering about the professional rodeo calendar discussion, there's plenty of leeway for a four week engagement that might not get detected,

Jet no longer competes from what I understand, just Cord; from what was posted by CBS about them for TAR 16, Jet is primarily a bull and horse breeder for the rodeo circuit.
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2010, 01:12:39 PM »

Does anyone know if Ken and Tina have said that they don't want to do TAR again?

I think they would love to! They have been wonderful at giving back to the community at large. You can watch (and help!) them in their latest adventure charity venture right here:

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,23399.0.html
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2010, 02:23:41 PM »
I'd be pretty sure Kynt and Vyxsin would be back??!! Ken and Tina would be great
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline kadilahopper

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2010, 11:24:48 AM »
If 18 is a former racers TAR, then my thanks to you Peach for the heads up.  The all stars was a complete bust for me.  Everybody had changed from their loveable and not so loveable selves in the all stars.  Just about every team on that race I truly enjoyed their first time around.  But all I saw on the All Stars was a bunch of fuddie duddies.  I won't repeat that disappointment again.  With this heads up I can skip 18.  Thanks! :<)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2010, 11:27:16 AM »
Oh don't give up so soon....  :tup:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2010, 11:28:46 AM »
Oh don't give up so soon....  :tup:

Agreed. I love All-Star seasons. I don't know why people don't like it, but still :hearts:
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline Competitor

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2010, 11:36:04 AM »
All Stars can be good IF we have people who truly love the race and love another opportunity.

For instance, Margie and Luke probably don't have any desires to make it big. Would they love another chance to run the race after their third place in season 14? Absolutely.

If you load this thing up with 11 teams who have hopefully learned a little about the race and want another opportunity, then we could be on to something.

If you load it up with teams who think they're back because the world loves them and wants to see them make it into show business, then you are going to have a problem.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2010, 11:50:53 AM »
Like clem, I am not really too fired up about an AllStar repeat. What I remember most about TARAS was how blas'e and laissez faire most of the teams were. Since, they had already done it once, there wasn't much "fire and excitement" from all but the final 4 teams to me. I really dont want to watch that again. Shuffling through the Amazing Race is not worth watching.

A couple of recurring themes have been a part of every race. 1)The desire of every team at the start to not be the 1st team eliminated and 2)the desire to make F3. So I would suggest to not ask any F3 teams back. They have been the "whole" way, they had their shot. Maybe in only inviting teams that finished 4-6, we might get a bunch of teams that will race hard again. That they will be excited 24/7 and really compete, instead of just getting a nice vacation at ES.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 12:04:00 PM by DrRox »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2010, 11:51:41 AM »
Amen 1000% to what Competitor says.

Y'all know I am a TAR purist...I want ordinary people doing extraordinary things, and despite my love for all our past and present racers, I really prefer to see fresh faces who adore the show and have dreamed about being on the race and worked hard to apply, get a chance.

But this could be far worse, it could be some weird celebrity thing!! :o

The bottom line is....I have faith in TPTB, they have kept me in love and fascinated with TAR for 17 seasons and heading right into our ten year anniversary...so I know whatever they have planned wll be fun and entertaining for us all! And like you all, I have a mental list of racers who I would love to see get a second chance, or just plain enjoy watching again...so I will be excited to see how this all unfolds. :hearts:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2010, 12:21:26 PM »
As the one who actually started the original discussion (at TWoP*) of what became the format of TAR 11 (All Stars, Returen of the Racers, whatever), I'm fully aware of the casting issues that arose from the approach TPTB took for the original "all-star" edition. I'm one of those who think the formula they use was not the best way they could have gone, in particular (in principle as opposed to the actual result) the creation of a team that had not competed that way originally.

The strength of TAR 11 was the route, and the fact that many teams were of about equal skill in that season.  But as the numbers bore out, many of those teams (except for the frankenstein team) competed about as well in TAR 11 as they had originally (Oswald and Danny, for one example). My problem with casting that season is that they picked the teams TPTB thought were entertaining and enjoyable, or which CBS tried to ram down our collective throats as such, and frankly, TPTB's perceptions on that were off.

They need to resist the Russell Wentz (Survivor) temptation (bringing some back because they think that would  make great television) and creating artificial teams.   It is the casting methodology that was flawed the first time around, and I fear what we'll be faced with if the same approach is used again.  Had TAR 11 been the "best of the best" as many of us had hoped, TAR 11 would have been far more interesting and would have generated far more interest than what we got. Can we hope that we can, at least have a higher presence of the "best of the best" and less of the artiticality of the alleged entertainment value of certain teams?

[*- I've never really explained how that came to be publicly, but that original discussion was started by me the the request of former Racers who wanted another chance to run the Race for the experience, and against the best competition. I had to get permission from TWoP's powers that be at the time, but their concerns were addressed and well, the rest played itself out over several years until TAR 11 began airing.  I will say that I think waiting until after 9 regular seasons had been in the can to try it the first time was too long, as several seasons ended up having no representation.  At least if georgiapeach's informed speculation is on the mark, TPTB will be working with six seasons and giving themselves a way to have two teams from each of the six seasons that would be included.]
-- theschnauzers

Offline Competitor

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2010, 12:25:31 PM »
Another problem from TARAS was that teams were cast who weren't true "All Stars". If you cast this season with teams who all made it to the final 4-5 of their season, then you have the potential for an unbelievably exciting race.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2010, 12:59:45 PM »
The other thing that really messed up TARAS was all the confusion/conflict with the Haj when they were in East Africa.