Author Topic: TAR 18 Contestant Speculation  (Read 151530 times)

Offline amazing race fan

• RFF Full Member
Re: TAR 18 Contestant Speculation
« Reply #425 on: November 21, 2010, 09:05:29 PM »
So, I take it that Michael and Kevin are not on this season. Am I correct?

Offline NotKaren

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #426 on: November 21, 2010, 09:05:59 PM »
Yes, and it was painful to watch. (And also a relief when by the end of the race you could see a real turnaround, not a Nick-type one-leg Ghana copout....)

But it was in no way in the same league as Johnathan shoving his wife or Canaan trying to shove his gf to the point where she screamed for HELP from strangers or as Rebecca and Adam or that passive aggressive jerk who actually did get dumped at the end of a leg and we all cheered for Sarah. Not even in the same ballpark. It's also not the type of abusive relationship we see repeated over and over each season to the point where you start to think there's some sort of epidemic of jerkboyfrienditis.

They RARELY make enough genuinely good tv to warrant their inclusion every damn season. One example I can think of is that couple who had the Epic Tomatoe Pile Meltdown in Barcelona, to this day one of the funniest TAR moments ever. I think her name was Jennifer, I don't know, I only remember her awesome WAIIIIIILING at him while getting pelted with tomatoes.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 09:11:40 PM by NotKaren »

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #427 on: November 21, 2010, 09:06:20 PM »
Correct!
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #428 on: November 21, 2010, 09:17:25 PM »
just a reminder that in their original season, Jet and Cord sometimes had navigation issues, but they were really good getting assistance from the locals, and they had a knack of finishing tasks quickly and making up time. Perhaps one of the fastest teams ever with that skill.

And I think they, and almost all of the other identified teams will have benefited skill-wise from a prior run in the Race. It would be interesting to see if these teams avoid things such as not completely reading the clue, and being aware of their surroundings in performing tasks so as to not overlook things that are there and needed to complete tasks.
-- theschnauzers

Offline tarobbsessed24

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #429 on: November 21, 2010, 09:18:52 PM »
just a reminder that in their original season, Jet and Cord sometimes had navigation issues, but they were really good getting assistance from the locals, and they had a knack of finishing tasks quickly and making up time. Perhaps one of the fastest teams ever with that skill.

And I think they, and almost all of the other identified teams will have benefited skill-wise from a prior run in the Race. It would be interesting to see if these teams avoid things such as not completely reading the clue, and being aware of their surroundings in performing tasks so as to not overlook things that are there and needed to complete tasks.

ya i agree
if the rumor is true that the theme is 2nd chances
i think the first leg will be a NEL

Offline Mister RC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Nothing is more valid than my avatar. JMO
    • Follow Me Please!
« Reply #430 on: November 21, 2010, 09:36:27 PM »
I think two teams of them not on race.

And that would be Mark/Michael and Steve/Linda
Every reality star is someone's favorite

Winning isn't everything, but it isn't considered nothing either. Otherwise, there wouldn't be a tribal council, a pit-stop, a boardroom, dimming of the lights, and so on

calibound234

« Reply #431 on: November 21, 2010, 09:58:47 PM »
If there was a Starting Line elimination, who could possibly have been eliminated?

Mark and Michael?
Michael and Kevin?
Steve and Linda?

hmm

maybe there wasnt one?

Offline Mandoli

• hahahaha NO!
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #432 on: November 21, 2010, 09:59:40 PM »
If there was a Starting Line elimination, who could possibly have been eliminated?

If there was a starting line task, doesn't mean someone was eliminated, either.
I thought that when we fought, I was to blame
Now I know you play a different game
I've seen you dance with danger; still wanting more
Add another number to the score

Offline RichInSydney

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #433 on: November 21, 2010, 10:00:13 PM »

Mark and Michael?
Michael and Kevin?
Steve and Linda?

hmm

maybe there wasnt one?
Surely not. That was one of the dumbest things TAR ever did.
"I wish the world was flat like the old days, and I could travel just by folding a map."

Offline mike4lyf

• RFF Full Member
  • Best team ever! Goths for the win.
« Reply #434 on: November 21, 2010, 10:20:23 PM »
NoOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Kynt and Vyxsin have yet to check in!
:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

calibound234

« Reply #435 on: November 21, 2010, 10:22:05 PM »
I'd be pissed if Jet and Cord half assed everything and just went onto the race for publicity...

i mean didnt one of them JUST get married and is suppose to be on a honeymoon?

If thats they case... I wish they declined so that another team could join

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #436 on: November 21, 2010, 10:27:21 PM »
Argghhh, I haven't had power all day..  

On the issue of fighting couples.  While we certainly have men who are the primary starters in some couples, lets not forget that we have many, many couples where the women is worse.  And for example we hate Jonathan (I certainly do) for how he pushed around Victoria (let alone the verbal barrage), there have been several women who have pushed guys around that no one ever seems to equate as abusive.  In the same season with Jonathug and Victoria we had Lori & Bolo, and while both fought, Lori was more verbally abusive and she was also more physical to Bolo.  We had Hayden who was worse to Aaron then Aaron was ever to her, we had Kendra who was worse to Freddy then Freddy was to her, and of course we had momma's boy Adam who was worse to Rebecca then she was to him.

In most seasons we have had couples where the women is worse out of the two.

Take season ten where we had two couples:  one Peter was cold and distant to Sarah and we all remember that about him, but we also had David & Mary.  And Mary would push David around, and would verbally take him down in most episodes, yet many in America absolutely loved David & Mary (and it also occurred in the same pattern in All Stars).

There is a huge double standard in our culture where it is ok for a women to do something, but if a man did the same thing to her it would be abusive.  In my eyes both are equally wrong.  And in my eyes both can reflect typically playful horsing around in couples, but since we don't know these people and how they normally are its impossible for us to make the distinction.

Take Ian & Teri, Ian was verbally awful to Teri (though many have been, much, much worse) and Teri would also yell at Ian.  But I also think that couple really loved each other.  And in All Stars we saw none of it.  Yet according to both they bickered the same amount they always do.

Offline mike4lyf

• RFF Full Member
  • Best team ever! Goths for the win.
« Reply #437 on: November 21, 2010, 10:34:33 PM »
THEY CHECKED IN!!!!!!!!!!!javascript:void(0);!!!!!!!! :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :wohoo: :wohoo: :jumpy: :wohoo: :wohoo: :wohoo: :wohoo: :wohoo: :hearts: :hearts:

Offline TeamKandA

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #438 on: November 21, 2010, 11:53:56 PM »
 :wohoo:

GO KRIS AND AMANDA ! LOVE THEM !

Online slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #439 on: November 22, 2010, 06:46:04 PM »
Don't forget about "I'm tired of doing everything!  You do nothing!" mswood.

They broke the mould when they made Lenny & Karyn.  Every dysfunctional couple since them is just a cheap imitation.

Offline Carter

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #440 on: November 22, 2010, 07:11:38 PM »
Having dysfunctional or bickering couples in TAR is fantastic to me, it makes for memorable moments. It's really strange that so many want only nice, gullable people on the race.

TAR has never been so good when you had relationship drama. I don't condone rude beahviour and stuff like that, but if it weren't for these people, ratings would have been much lower. Tara & Wil was just cringeworthy, but soo exciting to see what happened next. Jonathan & Victoria, my goodness hehe

Back to topic now.

DavidJunior

« Reply #441 on: November 22, 2010, 07:32:46 PM »
Where did Michael and Kevin go?

Could they have been the victim of the starting line challenge?

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #442 on: November 22, 2010, 07:38:01 PM »
They aren't on the race apparently...
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline SkyWriter9

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #443 on: November 22, 2010, 07:51:19 PM »
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! I loved those two!

Offline SkyWriter9

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #444 on: November 22, 2010, 09:18:21 PM »
Have the cowboys shown up yet? Or are they out?

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #445 on: November 23, 2010, 12:00:16 AM »
Please tell me, there hasn't been any sightings of the cowboys...

There haven't been that many recent sightings and I can't remember one mentioning the cowboys. They're my favourite team lol.

no offense...

Offline SkyWriter9

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #446 on: November 23, 2010, 04:19:23 AM »
You know what's also sad?

Just before Cord left for the last amazing race, he proposed to his wife. Now, just before Cord left for THIS amazing race, he got married.

Oh my gravy, what a poor wife of his... Hope he wins the million to make up for it! :D

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #447 on: November 23, 2010, 08:59:04 AM »
Joab, if you don't mind I will use your list and comment on it with my opinion of the teams.

My opinions of the teams:

Kynt and Vyxsin
Not a fan, not a supporter. But extremely glad they're back. They deserved to be back on. Very memorable and kinda popular amongst the fans. Definitely a worthy team.

I agree, not a fan but they are popular enough to be back on.

Ronald and Christina
Guys, the reason why TAR 12 was even bearable throughout the entire season was because of this time. They started as the underdogs, fought with one another, then learnt from their mistakes and worked together to overcome the race together and beat competitive teams like Nate and Jen, Kynt and Vyxsin and Azaria and Hendekea!! How could anyone not say they're not allstars worthy? My favourite team of the lot and am damn glad they're back!!

Not my favorites but I don't mind them at all.

Margie and Luke
They're like Ron and Chris V2.0!! TAR 14 wouldn't be half as exciting/interesting had it not been for this team. Although people might find them evil, extremely competitive.. but guys, aren't you glad that this team is not your regular parent and child team? They may not be my all-time favourite team, but i respect the way they raced with integrity and i'll definitely still root for them to win. Allstars won't be the same without them! (unless this time round they're eliminated early.. hopefully not)

They're ok, I don't think they can win but they are bring an interesting element to the show.

Amanda and Kris
Amanda and Kris gotta let go of their grudge against Margie and Luke. Had it not been for Margie and Luke, you sure know that they won't even make it on this race. They were half as exciting as Kris and Jon and no doubt they're really a nice and competitive team.. you just gotta admit that they're really not in the league of all-stars. They coming back just seemed like teams like Michael and Kathy (TAR3), Dennis and Ericka (TAR5) and other random dating couples returning to have another go on the race. Nice team? Definitely. Allstars? No way. Maybe if they made it far enough this season, they will be considered Allstars... I have nothing against them, but i won't be rooting for them, for now too. But i'll let the race go and decide whether to root for them after watching the season.

I don't know why no one likes them but I think they deserve another chance because they were victimized with a really hard Uturn.

Jaime and Cara
Memorable? Check. Competitive? Check. Controversial? Check. There you go, definitely qualified all-stars. I'm not a fan of them but you gotta admit they're really popular on TAR 14 and has a huge fan base. Besides, if Kisha and Jen are back, they gotta be back too!

Because of all the other TAR14 teams I don't think they were really necessary but they were a pretty strong team.

Kisha and Jen
I'm surprised that these two are back. Because if teams like bowling moms are not even included in the first allstars, how come they got to get another go? Yes, they're competitive. But i remember them being totally clueless and muddleheaded at the same time. If all goes wrong, they might just waste an allstars team spot and make it seems like the producers are really retarded to choose them to be on the show. No doubt i kinda like this team, but the fact that they're missed out of allstars or not will not be a big concern to many..

Same as Jaime and Cara for me.

Mel and Mike
I'm a fan of Mel and Mike and was heartbroken when they're eliminated. But this team has the same issue with Kisha and Jen. Nobody will have any issues with this team being missed out if they're not on allstars, but at the same time.. this team is not generating much buzz and commotion among the fans even if they're on allstars. I'm happy that they're on. But frankly speaking, i'll rather have teams i hate who're more memorable such as Carol and Brandy.. not because i'm weird.. but because at least Carol and Brandy can have people start talking about the race. People will bitch about the choice by producers and how they dislike them blah blah blah. Besides, Carol and Brandy are AT LEAST in the final 5 and VERY VERY memorable.

I find them to be very annoying and expect that they will have no good impact on the season. Probably an early elimination.

Zev and Justin
Not memorable and absolutely not worthy of allstars. Nice team? Maybe. Because i haven't seen enough of them to have an impression of the team. I spoke about the next season being allstars with my friend and told them Zev and Justin are on. They're all like.. Zev and WHAT? And then went on to ask me if teams like Carol and Brandy or Tammy and Victor are on or not. You see, if producers wants people to watch allstars, they gotta choose people who're memorable!! That's my problem with the cast for allstars. In what way is Zev and Justin more memorable than all the other teams to deserve a spot on allstars? No doubt people love them or what, but seriously.. this is the team i'm most shocked to see making it.

They made the right choice to not bring back winners. I like that this group has never won but has known the hunger. As far as Z/J are concerned everyone seemed to want them back so they got their wish.

Flight Time and Big Easy
I remember them as an obnoxious team and they're not really a fan favourite. Maybe i'm wrong and i'm biased. I'm not a fan of them and are not happy they're back. But at least they're memorable you see. I have no qualms with them making it on the next season, because they're a much better selection than teams like Amanda and Kris and Zev and Justin. (I like the latter more, i emphasize. I just don't think they should make it on the show. It seems unfair to the teams in the first 10 seasons who have to fight among 100+ teams for 11 spots in the first allstars, as compared to this season)

I don't mind them but they have no chance of even threatening to win, they will be worse than they were last time.

Jet and Cord
Extremely nice, totally competitive. Very memorable. Funny at times. Raced with their own style. Another team whom i deemed fit to be on allstars. They may be an alpha all male team but don't forget, they've got their bad times as well. I can't wait to see how well they race this time round competing against SOME of the competitive teams we have on the race.

Completely agree, best team ever no comparison don't know if they can win but the fun is just in being able to watch them again.

Gary and Mallory
The same problem with Kisha and Jen and Mel and Mike. Memorable? Mildly. Nice team? Definitely. I'm a fan of them and are extremely happy they're back. But if they're missed out i'll feel maybe abit sad or what, but not extremely devastated by the fact that they're ripped of their spot on allstars had they not make the selection cut. But i'll be rooting for them definitely. I think at least they fulfill the position of the underdogs! (David and Mary)

They definitely deserve to come back and I hope they can at least go to the final this time.
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline USsoccer

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #448 on: November 23, 2010, 10:35:48 AM »
About the cast...

I, for one, think that the casting of 5 Season 14 teams is not at all a bad idea. It was a very entertaining season with many power teams and had the most physical tasks by far, compared to any other recent season. There is a reason why that was the last season to win an Emmy…The teams chosen, however, are a little surprising. Yes, Luke had a large following, but he also annoyed a lot of people. That's probably why they cast Kisha/Jen (shoving) and Mike/Mel, ("sinister deaf kid") and most importantly Kris/Amanda (blind u-turn) back...
And to offset the Anti-Luke league they cast the red heads back. At least they again have someone to hang on to and follow to the end, if Margie is still as competitive...
Mike and Mel had a large following and CBS lost over 1.39 million viewers (TAR 14 on Wikipedia) when they were eliminated. = logical choice...
The show also lost 450,000 viewers when Christie and Jodi were eliminated! Their last episode had the largest number of viewers, except for the Finale. Interesting that no one has mentioned them. They were a smart and very competitive team who won a leg because of a smart flight decision and then had the bad luck that all the teams had to wait for one train departure time and then had 2 consecutive days of bad directions by a local and a taxi driver who took them an hour out of the way. Christie has to be very disappointed to see the other S14 teams chosen back, but it doesn't help when you have a teammate who now works in casting and hangs out with all the CBS reality people every weekend... (see Facebook) They also seem to not be that good of friends, so a re-race might have had some entertaining moments…
Flight Time and Big Easy were entertaining and very competitive physically, as long as there aren't many "think" tasks... Same goes for Kisha and Jen. Kynt and Vyxen ARE the Amazing Race. They are at every function and fundraiser and live for that show, so a good choice as well.

Ron and Christina I am not crazy about. The dad came around during their season and I think they might ba a little boring this coming season. I would have preferred some other team instead.
Mallory is entertaining, so good choice, along with her smart dad. Funny, how the new race started a week after they got eliminated from TAR17.
The cowboys were definitely a fan favorite and deserve to be there. I don’t think they will have it as easy as in their (pretty lame) season.
Zev and Justin were too boring for my taste; I would have rather seen Steve and Linda...
Speaking of… As you can tell from their Facebook updates, or lack thereof, Steve and Linda, Mike and Mark, and Brad and Victoria were all cast as alternates…  that leaves only Victor and Tammy as the winners, Preston and Jennifer, and the above mentioned Christie and Jodi out of the cast… I would have loved to see a TAR14 V2.0 to see how much luck and skill is really involved.

Offline north09

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #449 on: November 23, 2010, 02:08:57 PM »
Has any of the teams relationships changed?

Amanda & Kris are now engaged, and I can't really say about Kynt & Vyxsin as they never liked using the term "dating". As for the rest, their relationship has no way of changing. Family is family and you wouldn't return to race with someone you no longer call a friend.