Author Topic: TAR 18 Contestant Speculation  (Read 152335 times)

Offline Levi Rinno

• RFF Jr. Member
Re: TAR 18 Contestant Speculation
« Reply #275 on: November 20, 2010, 11:20:38 PM »
I am speculating this because it is perceived that this is an All Star Season, and those are the only two asians that competed together on a season within the last 7 or 8 seasons.

Erwin/Godwin, Ron/Christina, Tammy/Victor and Joe/Heidi?
I think he meant the only Asian men's team.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #276 on: November 20, 2010, 11:22:54 PM »
The only real hope for a different cast is that TPTB had a few lists going of the teams and released them to various people in the operation in hopes of rooting out Peach's source. That's the only way we can hope for a drastically different cast. If that is not the case, then I guess their definition of All Star is different from ours. Or, they are gunning for a different theme than All Stars.

On the tweets, it wouldn't be hard for someone who isn't Kevin (or anyone with twitter or Facebook) to post for them. I'm not sure what I would read into Internet activity.

Remember, I have said since the beginning that they were not initially using the term ALLStars. WHAT they end up calling it, who knows? I expect it will be ALLSTARs,,,but :duno:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #277 on: November 20, 2010, 11:29:14 PM »
Now I want to know what your were disappointed about in the casting.......just the heavy season 14 side of it or was it more specific?

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #278 on: November 20, 2010, 11:33:43 PM »
Now I want to know what your were disappointed about in the casting.......just the heavy season 14 side of it or was it more specific?
I'm kinda underwhelmed by almost half of the cast being from the same Season :/ Hopefully they'll bring their A-game this time.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #279 on: November 20, 2010, 11:34:15 PM »

Here are some generic complaints:

No representatives from TAR 13 and too many teams from TAR 14
No return of perceived fan favorites (for me it's Ron/Christina & Toni/Dallas)
The return of "gimmicky" teams (SurvivorSucks absolutely hates these teams for some reason)
Too many M/M teams

Offline Competitor

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #280 on: November 20, 2010, 11:41:49 PM »
Mine: no season 13 reps

I wanted it to be All Stars who were top four/five material. No offense to Steve/Linda, Kevin/Michael, Amanda/Kris, and Zev/Justin, but they didn't get far enough in their seasons to be All Stars in my opinion. I love those teams, but them over Ken/Tina and Toni/Dallas is disappointing.

Now, if TPTB are shooting for another angle, my only complaint I'd the abundance of Season 14 teams.

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #281 on: November 20, 2010, 11:43:11 PM »
My God that is a lot of all Male teams (Yuck, and for the same reason I was slightly disappointed to see 4 women teams this cycle).

And I just realized that we will be getting the Globetrotters theme and the cowboys theme each week......

calibound234

« Reply #282 on: November 20, 2010, 11:47:49 PM »
not sure what gimmicky means.. please explain? thanks

For me...

I am underwhelmed aswell.. I thought that if they are wasting a season to bring back past racers, atleast have it be teams that we either loved or hated on their respective seasons.. strong competitors, memorable personalities, etc. Give people a reason to want to tune in and watch THE SAME TEAMS compete again.

There are 7 speculated teams from TAR 14.. Why? They could have given us atleast one Season 13 team... or another Season 12,15,16,17 team... I don't want to see a bunch of teams from the same season. Especially that one. I understand why Jamie and Cara/Margie and Luke are there.. but not really sure about the other teams.. Especially Steve and Linda/Amanda and Kris (sorry if i sound bitter...)

There are only 9 females in the speculated list of 13 teams.
5 M/M Teams
2 F/F Teams (from the same season......)
6 M/F Teams (3 are parent/child relationships)

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #283 on: November 20, 2010, 11:48:14 PM »
Mel & Mike coming back would be a pleasant surprise to me because he seemed to be busy with TV and movies.  After re-reading their post-elimination interviews, I guess that it's not such a surprise:
Would you do it all over again?
Mike: Heck yeah! We're ready for the invite for the All-Stars or a rematch. We'll be there for sure.

The biggest hurdles for them are Mel's age, and Mike being vegan.  I think there's a huge difference between Mike White, who didn't compromise on his veganism in TAR14, and Terence and Kat who compromised their vegetarianism during the race.  I hope Mike takes his own advice and brings a lot of protein bars this time, so that he doesn't end up starving for days like last time.  (I know that others would have hated it and they would have had a valid point about it being an unfair advantage, but I would've been perfectly happy if Mike ran TAR18 with Reese and either Jet or Cord ran TAR18 with Sarah Jessica Parker.)

I think it's only fair that only teams that have been eliminated on broadcasted episodes by the time that TAR18 starts filming get to appear on TAR18.  This way, all of the teams have been able to see all of the major things that all of the other teams did during their run on the show.

I never liked the idea of "All-Stars."  I always liked what Erika from TAR5 and probably some other racers thought up, The Amazing Race: All-Losers, and this fits the bill.

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #284 on: November 20, 2010, 11:50:39 PM »
not sure what gimmicky means.. please explain? thanks

basically a team that was originally casted because they were already semi-famous (specifically the Globetrotters, Cowboys, and Jumbas)

calibound234

« Reply #285 on: November 20, 2010, 11:54:08 PM »
oh so like jeff and jordan,rob and amber,beauty pageant winners, teams like that?

Offline Competitor

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #286 on: November 20, 2010, 11:58:58 PM »
What's the number of teams who were originally recruited? I'm thinking 7-8. That is disappointing.

Jumba
Cowboys
Globetrotters
Gary/Mal????
Amanda/Kris
Jaime/Cara
Mel/Mike
Mark/Mike
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 12:02:37 AM by Competitor »

Offline amazing race fan

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #287 on: November 20, 2010, 11:59:28 PM »
I am really upset that Season 13 is not representing. It was by far my favorite season. Peach is there any chance that your speculation could be incorrect, or are you positive or very close to positive that those are the teams for this season?

Offline Competitor

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #288 on: November 21, 2010, 12:05:32 AM »
I am really upset that Season 13 is not representing. It was by far my favorite season. Peach is there any chance that your speculation could be incorrect, or are you positive or very close to positive that those are the teams for this season?

I'm not Peach, nor do I claim to speak on her behalf. However, I don't believe she would post it unless she was VERY confident in her sources and information.

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #289 on: November 21, 2010, 12:08:55 AM »
I like almost all the teams, but its definitely not how I would have cast.

I certainly don't dislike Flight Time and Big Easy, but I really don't want to see them again (I hate teams using their pre race status to get help), I have no wish to see Linda & Steve race again (I have no problem with everyman teams, but seriously this is the best you could get), Mark & Michael I could do with out (I liked them at first a lot, but as the season progressed...).

Mixed Feelings about:

Michael & Kevin who I love personality wise, but I really don't want to see a season of Michael talking about what he can't do, this also applies to Mike & Mel (another team who I really liked personality wise).  But that also means 4 gay racers (3 men, one women that we know of kind of a lot though they didn't make two of those racers sexual orientation public).  Though again I will be really surprised if Mike's schedule allows this.

Gary & Mallory:  Nice people (though her voice does grate, I like her), but easily would have rather had Steve & Allie.  But I do like them, so....

Likes and things I understand
Kynt & Vyxsin - Popular and humorous easy to understand

Amanda & Kris - Eliminated due to U-turn also "nice" loving couple, each season should have one.

Jaime & Cara - Two of the better female racers (sort of surprised no Nat & Kat), but Jaime & Cara are more outgoing and hotter, so I can understand that reason.

Kisha & Jen - African American team, every season has one (and really the only other serious option is Azaria & Hendekia).  Also two fit , strong women.  Who besides the fighting between Margie & Luke I liked, please no more of that crap).

Luke & Margie - Love (minus one episode, plus lets not do that again see above) gives the cast "special interest" story and they can actually race well.

Zev & Justin - Again another fan favorite taken out due to their own error (though in all fairness I would really have preferred Toni & Dallas but that would be two Mom Son teams), they also fit the "special interest" story lines.

Jet & Cord - Really the only consistently competitive team from season 16, also extremely popular with fans.

Things that surprise me:  No fighting couple.....

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #290 on: November 21, 2010, 12:09:59 AM »
What's the number of teams who were originally recruited? I'm thinking 7-8. That is disappointing.

Jumba
Cowboys
Globetrotters
Gary/Mal????
Amanda/Kris
Jaime/Cara
Mel/Mike
Mark/Mike

Mike White was not recruited:
So where did the idea to do the show come from?

I'm a not-so-closeted reality TV fan, a traitor to my own. I think I've watched probably every Survivor and Amazing Race—I'm a weird reality fanatic, I guess. During the strike I was watching my usual shows because I couldn't work, and at some point I was like, "What the crap! I should just go on The Amazing Race." I actually just made a video, I didn't try to pull any strings, I just made a video with somebody besides my dad and sent it in.
http://www.defamer.com.au/2009/02/mike_white_on_doing_the_amazing_race_i_felt_like_jason_bourne_and_his_old_gay_dad-2/

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #291 on: November 21, 2010, 12:12:20 AM »
Though in fairness we do all need to remember that some teams have turned down offers, it is possible that some from season 13 (or other teams that have mentioned) choose not to do it, or had reasons they couldn't.

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #292 on: November 21, 2010, 12:13:17 AM »
^^  No but the team was recruited as the producers didn't want the original team that applied.  Most people consider that recruited, when production puts its input into what teams are there.

Offline CrazyMonkey

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #293 on: November 21, 2010, 12:16:06 AM »
Hey guys I'm new to RFF and I decided to start an account because of all this All-Star talk after lurking for a while. I'll just break down what I think of each individual supposedlly selected 'All star' teams or whatever they are being called.

Kynt and Vyxsin- I very much like this choice. I really like them in TAR12 and I'll be rooting for them to go far this time! Go Goths, I love you :) :jumpy:

Amanda and Kris- I don't know why this team was chosen really. They didn't seem to have much personality and while they looked like a strong team they got eliminated by the U-Turn. There are at least 10 teams I'd want back over them!

Jamie and Cara- Excellent choice! I liked Cara and didn't like Jamie in their season. TAR14 was my first season and these 2 made ir very memorable for me. :wohoo:

Kisha and Jen- The first major meltdown I remember involved these 2. I didn't like them near the start of the race really but really liked them in their later legs. I was rooting for them in the Luke and Margie vs Kisha and Jen feuds. Good choice.

Margie and Luke- I knew they would be selected because they made good Tv. Plain excellent choice to return! :colors

Mark and Micheal- God knows why this horrible team was chosen to return. They were boring, cheated and they were just plain boring. Get off my TV!

Mel and Mike- I thought they were okay but really they don't deserbe to return over some other previous teams in my opinion. Think of it, we could have had Nate and Jen!

Steve and Linda- They were the second team out in TAR14. Why have themo ver Ken and Tina, Nate and Jen, Terrence and Sarah, Toni and Dallas, Nick and Starr, Meghan and Cheyne, Sam and Dan... the list gores on and on..

The Globetrotters- Made the dumbest move in TAR IMO... I don't like them and would rather see Meghan and Cheyne or Sam and Dan back.

Zev and Justin- I like them and think they could go far this timez! Look out for this team!

Jet and Cord- I can understand why they were brought back. They were one of the highlights of AR16 for me. I personally didn't really like them but many did. Good choice to return.

Gary and Mallory- I liked them but would much rather Brook and Claire to reutrn. I can like Gary and Mallory though so I don't really have an issue with them being brought back.

Micheal and Kevin- I think they brought the wrong sort of fans to TAR. I like Micheal an lot but my hatred of Kevin is more than my love of Micheal. Okay to come back but I want them to get the boot early.

I really think that TAR should have included teams from TAR13 like Ken and Tina, Toni and Dallas and Terreence and Sarah over teams like Mel and Mike, Mark and Micheal and Steve and Linda....

calibound234

« Reply #294 on: November 21, 2010, 12:16:15 AM »
Can the teams that were asked but then denied, reveal themselves? Even if its not until the teams are officialy revealed by CBS..

There are some teams that I want to make sure they got asked, because if they didnt it makes me wonder..why these other teams.. ha

Steve and Linda were a fighting couple...

Kris and Amanda only lasted like 4 episodes X_X so they might have ended up being a fighting couple

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #295 on: November 21, 2010, 12:19:01 AM »
^^  No but the team was recruited as the producers didn't want the original team that applied.  Most people consider that recruited, when production puts its input into what teams are there.

From Mike White:
I was gonna go with this screenwriter that I met on Freaks & Geeks, this guy Jon Kasdan. Our little sorta reducible idea was “neurotic screenwriters who never leave the house.” And it turned out that he really was too neurotic to leave the house. We got to the semifinals of the prior season, Season 13, and he had sort of a meltdown at the Hilton at LAX and was like, “I can’t do this!”

So how did your dad get involved?

We had gotten pretty far along and you know, it’s a relationship show and they want to show the most interesting relationships, so they encouraged me to go with someone in my family [father Mel White, the founder of the gay rights group Soulforce].
http://www.defamer.com.au/2009/02/mike_white_on_doing_the_amazing_race_i_felt_like_jason_bourne_and_his_old_gay_dad-2/

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #296 on: November 21, 2010, 12:23:50 AM »
Can the teams that were asked but then denied, reveal themselves? Even if its not until the teams are officialy revealed by CBS..

There are some teams that I want to make sure they got asked, because if they didnt it makes me wonder..why these other teams.. ha

Steve and Linda were a fighting couple...

Kris and Amanda only lasted like 4 episodes X_X so they might have ended up being a fighting couple
Yeah but as they are listed as alternates I am surprised no fighting couple is listed as a primary pick.  As for Kris & Amanda we never even saw a hint of it, and with that last leg with the U-Turn had plenty of opportunity for any negative attitudes to emerge during the stress of that day.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #297 on: November 21, 2010, 12:33:00 AM »
The alternates are listed as ?? alternates. Not entirely sure about that, who is and who isn't.

The same person from the airport confirmed the "Goths", "red-heads", and Michael and kevin by photo "2 asian men".

Kynt and Vyxsin were def spotted.

Michael and Kevin were NOT on the original list I had, all others were on my list.

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline weihen

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #298 on: November 21, 2010, 12:45:39 AM »
Maybe Michael and Kevin  replaced Mel and Mike.

Offline Levi Rinno

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #299 on: November 21, 2010, 05:10:12 AM »
My God that is a lot of all Male teams (Yuck, and for the same reason I was slightly disappointed to see 4 women teams this cycle).
Whatever, mswood. :duno: