Author Topic: Strong earthquake strikes New Zealand!  (Read 8719 times)

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Strong earthquake strikes New Zealand!
« on: September 03, 2010, 12:32:58 PM »
I just heard there was a 7.4 magnitude earthquake outside of Christchurch, New Zealand. I believe that's the part of New Zealand Phil is from. I hope Phil and all his friends and family are OK. For that matter, I hope everyone down there is OK and damage proves to be minor.

George

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Strong earthquake strikes New Zealand!
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 01:13:56 PM »
everything okay no power damged or injujres

Online georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 01:44:01 PM »
I just heard that as well. Am counting my RFF noses!!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 04:46:24 PM »
Didn't even know myself. Lucky I am on the other side of New Zealand, but I hope everyone is O.K. I have relatives down in Christchurch!
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Online georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 05:21:26 PM »
Mrs Shrek is okay..shaken up, but safe!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 06:44:29 PM »
Some injuries, but no fatalities recorded. Rolleston, where Dr. Keoghan runs the B&B, had its water supply contaminated. Map here.

Online georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 08:07:16 PM »
Phil Keoghan: All is well with my parents in Christchurch, they are obviously a bit shaken but in good spirits considering their early morning wake up call!!

Thank you to everyone for their kind messages.

later:

Violent aftershocks continuing, several an hour
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Evan_Weinstein

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Amazing Racer
    • EVANMINAL-MINDS
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 09:20:22 PM »
May god be with all the countries

Good to hear from Phil that he is alright and his family and friends
Singaporean here - PM me, if you need me to translate, Chinese, Malay, English, German or Japanese

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 11:05:52 PM »
my firend on facebook she passway in earthquake just heard form mom because her mom is on facebook

Offline Evan_Weinstein

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Amazing Racer
    • EVANMINAL-MINDS
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 11:53:34 PM »
aww, RIP
my firend on facebook she passway in earthquake just heard form mom because her mom is on facebook
Singaporean here - PM me, if you need me to translate, Chinese, Malay, English, German or Japanese

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 10:03:51 AM »
I just heard there was a 7.4 magnitude earthquake outside of Christchurch, New Zealand. I believe that's the part of New Zealand Phil is from. I hope Phil and all his friends and family are OK. For that matter, I hope everyone down there is OK and damage proves to be minor.

George
No, Phil's home is not within about 350 miles from the epicenter of this earthquake, which was about 35km west of Christchurch, the second largest city in New Zealand and on its South Island. I called my brother-in-law, who lives in a suburb of Auckland on the North Island, and he said the damage was primarily local and to older buildings. Phil's home is on the northern coast of the North Island of New Zealand at Matarangi, on the Coromandel Peninsula. He does have a relationship to the earthquake region, however. He was born in Lincoln less than 50 km from the epicenter.

Online georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 10:07:46 AM »
Phil's parents home is in Rolleston, very close to the epicenter.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 10:08:44 AM »
aww, RIP

News stories are reporting that no one died in the earthquake, so I'm guessing that ZBC Company didn't mean to say that his (her?) friend died.

I'm glad to hear that there were no deaths and injuries weren't too numerous. I'm also pleased that Phil and his family are doing OK. The damage looks pretty bad, but having been in the San Francisco during the 1989 earthquake, I know that they tend to focus in on the most serious damage and show it over and over. In San Francisco, there were quite a few damaged buildings and structures that failed spectacularly, but most buildings overall weren't too badly damaged. Hopefully it's the same for the people of Christchurch.

George

Update:

Actually, now that I've looked at more pictures of the damage just now, Christchurch seems to have a fair number of brick buildings. Earthquakes hate brick buildings, so the damage may be pretty extensive.

George
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 10:22:49 AM by Plaidmoon2 »

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2010, 10:12:51 AM »

George
No, Phil's home is not within about 350 miles from the epicenter of this earthquake, which was about 35km west of Christchurch, the second largest city in New Zealand and on its South Island. I called my brother-in-law, who lives in a suburb of Auckland on the North Island, and he said the damage was primarily local and to older buildings. Phil's home is on the northern coast of the North Island of New Zealand at Matarangi, on the Coromandel Peninsula. He does have a relationship to the earthquake region, however. He was born in Lincoln less than 50 km from the epicenter.

That's good to hear. When I posted that yesterday, I looked at his wikipedia page and saw that Phil was born in Lincoln and went to high school in Christchurch, so I figured he was from there. I didn't catch the part that said he has a home these days in Matarangi.

George

Online georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2010, 10:14:17 AM »
Yes, ZBC owes us an apology.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Evan_Weinstein

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Amazing Racer
    • EVANMINAL-MINDS
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2010, 10:20:15 AM »
Let me apologize first, in case someone blame me for it

Back to topic. According to wikipedia, a resident died of haert attack, could this be the one which ZBC referring to.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_New_Zealand_earthquake

Online georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2010, 10:22:22 AM »
No worries for you, you were being kind.

But NO...so let's move on.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2010, 11:22:46 AM »
Report on the news today claimed that early estimates on damage came in at over 1 billion dollars, many areas without water for at least 2 days.

Offline Mrs Shrek

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2010, 02:42:28 PM »
Report on the news today claimed that early estimates on damage came in at over 1 billion dollars, many areas without water for at least 2 days.

Yeah, it's pretty bad. Numbers on cost are being estimated between 1 and 2 billion depending on who you listen to. And the multiple aftershocks were reaching above 5 as well, with a 6 still *possibly* on the way in the next day or so, and storm winds on the way today, so the risk for further damage is not yet over.
The only reported casualty so far is a heart attack victim, with two others who were injured in hospital, but search and rescue are flying in dogs and reinforcements to go thru the rubble today in the centre of the city. We can only hope their search reveals that everyone has gotten out safely.
Christchurch does have a lot of brick buildings, but it also has a lot of areas that are quite swampy, with water under the soil. The soil just turned into water in the quake, so many other non brick buildings, especially to the north, have been split in half, or had part of their foundations sink considerably. One source has claimed as many as 20% of houses may be uninhabitable. That number seems pretty high to me, but with damage to the infrastructure such as water, gas and waste pipes, it is probably going to take months, if not years for the city to recover. I expect some areas will be without piped water for a lot longer than 2 days, but I believe the authorities are planning on bringing in water tankers to supply fresh water, and try and prevent illness from the contaminated water supplies. Credit has been given to speed at which the emergency services reacted in the crisis, and also to the relatively strict earthquake requirements in our building codes, and the extensive structural work carried out in recent years on some of the heritage buildings in the area, for reducing the damage incurred compared to other earthquakes of similar magnitude.
Power was back on for the majority of the residential areas of the city by last night, but the outlying rural areas could take up to a week to get power back. For the large number of dairy farms in the area, this is incredibly serious, as most of them rely on power for milking, and can only run on backup generators for a limited time.
My heart breaks when I see the pictures of the damage. I no longer live in Christchurch, but it is a very special city for me and I still have family who do. We still live close enough that we got a good shake and had to run for cover when the earthquake hit in the middle of the night, but to the best of my knowledge, we don't have any structural damage.

And then to have the heartbreaking news of the fatalities of 9 people in an air-crash near one of the glaciers on the west coast at midday, yesterday really was a dark day for all of New Zealand.
 :'(

Online georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2010, 07:33:25 PM »
Sending much love and prayers to all those affected by this. And hoping that everyone will be found safe.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2010, 07:40:28 PM »
I'm so sorry Mrs. Shrek. It was indeed a dark day yesterday. Sending prayers for everyone in New Zealand, I'm sure everyone has been affected in one way or another.
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2010, 02:40:38 AM »
I'm glad you're fine Mrs Shrek! Hope you're coping well!

Offline labibkhan15

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2010, 08:36:44 AM »
A strong earthquake rattled New Zealand at 4:35 a.m. local time Saturday morning.The quake epicenter was four miles south-southeast from Christchurch,New Zealand.there have been strong aftershocks and power outages throughout the city.