Author Topic: TAR 17: Andie DeKroon and Jenna Sykes -- Birth Mother/Daughter  (Read 25132 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
TAR 17: Andie DeKroon and Jenna Sykes -- Birth Mother/Daughter
« on: September 01, 2010, 08:58:18 AM »

Andie and Jenna

Birth Mother/ Daughter

Andie DeKroon

Hometown: Atlanta, Ga.

Connection to your Teammate: Birth Mother

Current occupation: Stay at home mom

Favorite hobbies: Running, hiking, scrapbooking and learning foreign languages 

Achievements: Choosing life when faced with an unplanned pregnancy. More recently, raising a big family.

Lifelong to do list: Skydive, bungee jump and get a diver's certification. I'm definitely having a midlife crisis.

What scares you most about traveling? The fear that something bad will happen while I'm abroad and it will be hard for me to get to my family.

What excites you most about traveling? Being somewhere totally out of my comfort zone

If I could switch places with someone: A younger version of myself. I would love to have a do-over knowing what I know now.

Role model/hero: My husband, Joe, because his strength of character never wavers. He inspires me to be the best person I can be.

What are you passionate about? My kids! I love every part of being their mother.

What would you do if you won the million dollars? I would give at least 10 percent to my children's school and to the Muscular Dystrophy Association to help kids like my sweet nephew, Mateo. The rest would go to raising and education my children.

People would be surprised to learn: I am an at-home mom of 10 children, ages 18 months to 18 years.

Favorite place you have ever visited: I visited Rome, Italy when I was 23 years-old. 

Biggest challenge you and your teammate will face on the Race together: Experiencing all the stresses the other teams are facing, with the added stress that we've only just met and are still getting to know each other.

What do you hope to accomplish by running the Race (other then winning one million bucks)? I want to get to know this person I brought into the world. I feel the opportunity of being together 24/7 for a while on the Race would give us the chance to know each other in a deeper way than we would if we met under normal circumstances.

Pet peeve about your teammate: I don't know her well enough to have a pet peeve yet!

Jenna Sykes

Hometown: Athens, Ga.

Connection to your Teammate: Biological daughter

Current occupation: Student

Favorite hobbies: Traveling, movies and enjoying the music and nightlife in Athens excites me.

Achievements: Testing my fear of heights by going glacier bungee jumping off a 300 foot cliff

Lifelong to do list: I would like to have a family, be successful and never be afraid to dream bigger than what I thought was ever possible.

What scares you most about traveling? Absolutely nothing

What excites you most about traveling? It opens my mind to entirely different perspectives and way of life. I love to see everything I can and be completely in the moment.

If I could switch places with someone: I wouldn't because I love my life! But, one Saturday as Uga (Georgia Bulldogs mascot) would be really fun.

Role model/hero: My parents. I'll be lucky to be half the person and half the parent that each of them are.

What are you passionate about? Traveling, seeing the world, writing, reading and loving my friends and family

What would you do if you won the million dollars? I would take my parents and friends to Italy and then save the rest. 

People would be surprised to learn: I can rough it. I can't wait to go without makeup, without showering and without sleep on the Race.

Favorite place you have ever visited: I love Interlaken, Switzerland. It is the extreme sports capital of the world!

Biggest challenge you and your teammate will face on the Race together:  Since we just met, it will be harder for us to race without knowing one another as well as the other teams do. We have to trust each other way more and have faith in ourselves.

What do you hope to accomplish by running the Race (other then winning one million bucks)? I hope to get to know my birth mother through this incredible opportunity. It is my hope that we will be able to spend a lot of time together and become friends.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 12:00:01 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

K2Review

Re: TAR 17: Andie DeKroon and Jenna Sykes -- Birth Mother/Daughter
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 09:50:58 AM »
In terms of casting, I think this pair is a brilliant choice.  The fact that they haven't known each other very long is kind of a new "twist" in casting, since historical Amazing Race teams have a pre-existing relationship.  But the fact that they are a birth-mother/birth-daughter pair is just really interesting.  Kudos to them for being willing to put themselves under a microscope so early in the process of them getting to know each other.  Hope it ends up being a good thing for them!

Offline jerseydude

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • It’s Friday, Friday Gotta get down on Friday
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 10:01:49 AM »
I personally would love to see how this team works out because they sort of know each other and they sort of don't. So it's going to be interesting to see how they work together.
The Amazing Race TV Stars- Marc and Rovilson (Currently 1st)
Victor\'s Amazing Race- Mooyou and Jerseydude (Currently 5th)
RFF Amazing Race Season 2- Redskevin88 & Jerseydude (Eliminated 4th)
Mooyou\'s Amazing Race- Tammy and Victor (Finished 2nd Place )

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 10:16:38 AM »
Kudos to CBS for this coup. I hope they do well. But if they dont, then they will have fun at ES getting to really know each other.
Matthew 7:15

Offline Sandra1991

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 10:39:42 AM »
They seem to be an interesting team, I'm looking forward to see them on the race!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 12:00:53 PM »
Summary updated with Intro video!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Competitor

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 12:21:04 PM »
I think that we have found the team that America will be rooting for.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 12:26:38 PM »
I love this team!! :hearts:

I love that they have the courage to set off on this journey with so little actual knowledge of each other, and hope that the race brings them every happiness and joy in their discovery of each other!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline MamaT

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 12:47:54 PM »
OMG!  L O V E this team! Love Love Love. 

What a great story they have! (kudos to casting on this one!).  They seem genuinely nice, smart and looking to have fun.  It also helps that they are both fans of the show. 
I so hope this works out well for them!

Offline Sandra1991

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 12:53:31 PM »
I wish I could watch the video!

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 01:58:22 PM »
double firece this team look young to be her mom

Offline SuzuKen

• RFF Full Member
  • tabibito
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 11:59:55 PM »
think this would be one of the teams I'll be rooting for ^_^ definitely hope that the race doesn't get in the way of them getting to know each other~
JOAB'S SURVIVOR RFF: MADAGASCAR  -we like to move it move it-

TAR17: Nat & Kat, Brook & Claire

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 02:39:11 AM »
Reminds me of a lot of Momily....

Offline Eugene Schwindlemyer

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 02:08:41 PM »
10 KIDS!!! (11 counting the one on the race with her)

Gesh, traveling with one adult child should be a break from 10 freaking kids at home...

Oh, uh, good luck whith the race, I guess.

Offline north09

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2010, 02:51:52 PM »
I agree that in terms of casting this is a great pair. Their story here is hard to root against. I can only hope that the race helps them improve an already solid relationship. I'm rooting for them to fair well, but the biggest obstical will be they don't know eachother as well as the other teams do.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2010, 05:00:03 PM »

Gesh, traveling with one adult child should be a break from 10 freaking kids at home...

Before you get to carried away and start assuming way to much......she is the mom in a blended family......not all of those 11 kids are hers. She is step mom to a bunch.....

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2010, 11:12:22 AM »
I certainly hope that TAR do not make this team's touching story to be the sob story of the season.

It's great that this team is doing something other than the money - to get to know each other better.

I am definitely rooting for them!

Offline Mid-Life

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2010, 02:19:46 PM »

Before you get to carried away and start assuming way to much......she is the mom in a blended family......not all of those 11 kids are hers. She is step mom to a bunch.....

She is the biological mother of all 10 children, plus Jenna.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2010, 02:33:24 PM »

And you know this how?????  On her facebook, she says she is the mom in a "blended family". Which to me, means she is a step mom to some.......
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 02:46:15 PM by DrRox »

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2010, 03:54:55 PM »
Blended Family. Thats step-mom spelt out basically isn't it?!
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2010, 07:16:13 PM »
Blended Family. Thats step-mom spelt out basically isn't it?!

That's what it "implies" to me, but it might mean something different to Andie DeKroon. In the end, it really doesn't mean too much race wise. Just a very unique side story to the race. I look forward to watching her and her teammate.

Offline banredbeans

• Amazing Racer
  • RFF VIP
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2010, 10:32:42 AM »
I will be rooting for this team.  I think they are a first of their kind to be cast.

Offline charwalker

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2010, 12:19:10 PM »
My daughter goes to Catholic school with Andie's kids. The ten kids are all hers, but they are from two marriages. Her ex husband (father of the first five kids) has leukemia and Andie helps care for him. I will never forget seeing Andie with her ex husband, current husband and all of the children sitting at Mass together one Sunday. They are an amazing family and the whole school is really happy for Andie and Jenna to have this experience together! :hearts:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2010, 12:26:09 PM »
Andie seems like an amazing woman and a very loving Mom! I am really looking forward to seeing the two of them on the show, I think they will be a pleasure to watch.

:welcome2: to RFF, charwalker!!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2010, 10:38:54 PM »

:ascared

How do one become mom to so many kids??