Author Topic: TAR 17: Nat Strand and Kat Chang -- Doctors/Friends  (Read 86272 times)

Offline Rogue

• RFF Jr. Member
Re: TAR 17: Nat Strand and Kat Chang -- Doctors/Friends
« Reply #100 on: January 05, 2011, 01:47:08 PM »
This team was always everybody's favorite, there chemistry is really awesome and they have really gone very far!!!!

Or at least near the top of everyone's list -- I know some preferred Brook & Claire to Nat & Kat.  But there's a good reason why Nat & Kat were always near the top of the list or the favorites -- they were strong, smart and likeable with great chemistry!

Belle Book

Yes indeed. I think outside of Kevin and Michael who came into the show with their own fans, Nat and Kat, Brook and Claire, and even Gary and Mallory have been the favorites of this season. Though it's pretty hard to not love Nat and Kat. :-[
You don't always win the race by making the best forward moves but you make it by avoiding the huge moves that set you back. -Nat

Offline Reilly Queens

• RFF's Game Queen
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • DESTINY
« Reply #101 on: January 05, 2011, 09:07:44 PM »
This team was always everybody's favorite, there chemistry is really awesome and they have really gone very far!!!!

guys I think this is spam. The exact time she posted was when she logged off for good....

but the spam link was in her signature but I see its now removed! :tup:

stupid spammers!!  (:;)

Offline Zvarri

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #102 on: January 08, 2011, 09:56:58 AM »
Nat and Kat <3

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
« Reply #103 on: January 08, 2011, 10:46:07 AM »
Nat and Kat <3

There's never posts enough to say how much we <3 them. :lol3:

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #104 on: January 09, 2011, 12:29:39 AM »
Once a fan... ALWAYS A FAN!!!! :jam: :jam: :jam:

Offline Rogue

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #105 on: January 26, 2011, 09:54:32 AM »
Nat and Kat are doing the Amazing Race esque Reality Rally this year along with Brook, Jill and Thomas and some others from previous seasons as well as people from other reality shows including Survivor. The event will be held in Temecula, CA and I it is from April 15th-17th. This is a fundraiser for Michelle's Place which is a resource center for women dealing with breast cancer. I had never heard of this event so I don't know how often it occurs. You can donate to any reality racer you want and if you're interested in racing they have everything you would need on the website about how to race if you want. I saw this on Nat and Kat's Facebook page and am just passing it along.

http://www.realityrally.com/
You don't always win the race by making the best forward moves but you make it by avoiding the huge moves that set you back. -Nat

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #106 on: January 26, 2011, 10:55:02 AM »
This is Gillian's (Survivor) charity event and is a hugely successful event and for an excellent charity. I wholeheartedly endorse this and encourage anyone who can, to go. Or let's help Nat meet her goal!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Pedaler

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #107 on: April 09, 2011, 10:49:05 PM »
Once I googled Chelsie Hightower's photo, the caption in this photo was even funnier to me.

http://www.ontheredcarpet.com/photos/Photos-from-the-Reality-Rocks-Expo/8062930?photo=17

Not Nat and Kat, but this female team seemed to be one of the brightest teams ever, but also made one of the biggest bonehead mistakes ever.
(from the same event today)
http://ow.ly/i/aaCo

« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 10:56:09 PM by Pedaler »

Offline freds

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #108 on: April 28, 2011, 07:41:32 AM »
News about Nat and Kat:

From dog sledding in the Arctic Circle to rappelling down a canyon in Oman, the CBS reality-television competition The Amazing Race is no easy challenge for anyone -- especially someone living with diabetes. "Honestly, I figured, 'If I can do this, I can do anything,'" competition winner Nat Strand tells Diabetes Forecast, the consumer magazine of the American Diabetes Association. The May issue features an interview with Strand and her best friend and Race partner, Kat Chang, about their amazing experience on the show, being the first all-female team to win, and managing Strand's type 1 diabetes along the way.

Strand and Chang, who are both physicians, had to take a true team approach to everything they did -- both packed some of Strand's diabetes supplies, both got accustomed to losing sleep to alarms from Strand's insulin pump, and both had to stay on top of the competition's challenges while also keeping an eye out for Strand's symptoms of hypoglycemia (also known as low blood glucose or low blood sugar).

They went around the world in 23 days, facing both extreme challenges and cultural surprises that can have an impact on diabetes management. For example, how much insulin do you take for a meal of boiled sheep's head? That's not something Strand had discussed during her extensive planning sessions with her health care team. "I just gritted my teeth and hoped that since it was protein, it was low-carb," she tells Diabetes Forecast.

The May issue of Diabetes Forecast also includes these features and information-filled articles:

Dreaming of a Healthy Tomorrow: Did you know that people who don't get enough sleep are at a higher risk for many health problems, including type 2 diabetes? Read new evidence on the connections between lack of sleep and type 2 diabetes -- and tips on how to get a better night's rest.

"Kids, I Have Diabetes": It's important to talk to your children about your diabetes, but that doesn't mean that it's easy. Diabetes Forecast offers expert advice for every situation, whether you're newly diagnosed or not, no matter what your "in case of emergency" protocol, or how old your children are. An honest conversation stressing that diabetes is a manageable disease can prevent needless fear in a child.

Treat Yourself Right: Cooking for one may seem like a lot of trouble, but the results are worth it -- and so are you! Learn the techniques, then treat yourself to these recipes for one, including Spinach and Mushroom Frittata, Cherry-Glazed Pork Chop, Cod in Parchment and Mexican Pizza.
Attack and Defend: Diabetes increases the risk of stroke, so it's critical for people with diabetes to learn how to take steps to prevent stroke, recognize its symptoms, and react quickly if one occurs. This primer does the job.

Wine 101: While preliminary research has extolled the virtues of some wines, it's important to know how much to have and how to pick a good wine. This 101 guide is complete with several wine-doused recipes!

Easing the Transition: American Diabetes Association-funded researcher Susan Enguidanos, MPH, PhD, is studying the risks patients face during the transition from hospital to home, and how to smooth that process particularly in the highly affected Latino community.

Source: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/223617.php

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
« Reply #109 on: April 28, 2011, 08:21:16 AM »
<3

Hope there was a winners edition soon...

Offline coolio

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #110 on: October 27, 2011, 07:28:41 PM »
I am re watching TAR 17. I love Nat and Kat! This was my first season, and I was so happy my favorites won!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #111 on: February 02, 2012, 08:29:12 PM »
Kat and Brian engaged!   :hrt:

http://blog.onelove-photo.com/

photos from onelove photography,llc

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline LoveRocked

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yoo Jae Suk Running Man <33333333
« Reply #112 on: February 02, 2012, 09:01:00 PM »
OMG!! what a lovely couple!! Congrats, Kat!!!
I really wish we could stay longer in the countries we visit, but I've been lucky to have visited most of them before, because I've done a tremendous amount of travel. - Phil Keoghan

The Amazing Race 22-23 is coming soon!

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #113 on: February 08, 2012, 09:38:24 PM »
SO BEAUTIFUL!

Thank you peach! :hearts:

Offline coolio

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #114 on: February 09, 2012, 07:47:09 PM »
Those are FANTASTIC photos! I'm pretty decent at photography, but... wow...  :colors :o

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #115 on: April 04, 2012, 08:03:32 AM »
I didn't mind them winning but I would have preferred Brook's team to win as I thought they (in particular Brook) provided more entertainment throughout the whole series.  Thank goodness the 3rd place team didn't win as they didn't make that much of an impression on me.

Nat seemed the more interesting of the two.  Not just because of the diabetics story either, though they started emphasising that towards the end maybe indicating she was a finalist and even the eventual winner.  She seemed maybe the more livelier of the two.  They were obviously a competitve team with some intelligence and also enough physical prowess and yet did not suffer getting u-turned.  The producers were no doubt happy with the result as they seemed nice enough people and as they never tired of telling us (and spoiling me for previous series) they could and did make history as the first female couple to win.

Offline PineappleSkin

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #116 on: April 09, 2012, 12:47:31 AM »
Hey all,

I apologize in advance for bringing this thread back from the dead and for going against the grain, but I just finished watching season 17 and have to share my thoughts.

I absolutely hate the fact that Nat and Kat won; they were the very last team I wanted to see get the prize. Believe it or not, I would have even preferred it if the jerk Nick won. At least Vicki would have made some money, and she seemed to be an absolute saint for putting up with him (or at least that's what the editing makes it seem like).

Super-props go to Nat for completing the race as a diabetic, but the question on my mind throughout the race has been: do physicians need more money?

Not just any physicians, but anesthesiologists. They are on the "ROAD" to happiness, which is a collection of specialties with the optimal combination of compensation and lifestyle (read: most money for the least work).

I would have had mad respect for them if they had donated half their earnings to charity, or maybe even shared them with the second and third place teams. But did they do any such thing? No! They greedily kept it all.

Conclusion: Nat and Kat seem nice and friendly on the surface, but they come off as absolute jerks for not sharing their winnings with anyone. Given that anesthesiologists had a mean compensation of $419,596 per year in 2009 [1], this behavior is super-greedy and inexcusable.

Later guys.

[1] Medical Group Management Association, Physician Compensation and Production Survey: 2010 Report Based on 2009 Data

EDIT: Yes, I did make an account just for this; that's how strongly I feel about the issue.

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #117 on: April 09, 2012, 01:17:33 AM »
Hey all,

I apologize in advance for bringing this thread back from the dead and for going against the grain, but I just finished watching season 17 and have to share my thoughts.

I absolutely hate the fact that Nat and Kat won; they were the very last team I wanted to see get the prize. Believe it or not, I would have even preferred it if the jerk Nick won. At least Vicki would have made some money, and she seemed to be an absolute saint for putting up with him (or at least that's what the editing makes it seem like).

Super-props go to Nat for completing the race as a diabetic, but the question on my mind throughout the race has been: do physicians need more money?

Not just any physicians, but anesthesiologists. They are on the "ROAD" to happiness, which is a collection of specialties with the optimal combination of compensation and lifestyle (read: most money for the least work).

I would have had mad respect for them if they had donated half their earnings to charity, or maybe even shared them with the second and third place teams. But did they do any such thing? No! They greedily kept it all.

Conclusion: Nat and Kat seem nice and friendly on the surface, but they come off as absolute jerks for not sharing their winnings with anyone. Given that anesthesiologists had a mean compensation of $419,596 per year in 2009 [1], this behavior is super-greedy and inexcusable.

Later guys.

[1] Medical Group Management Association, Physician Compensation and Production Survey: 2010 Report Based on 2009 Data

EDIT: Yes, I did make an account just for this; that's how strongly I feel about the issue.
I'm not a fan of that season, and I wasn't rooting for Nat & Kat, but...

1. Nearly half of their winnings go to taxes
2. Medical school is really expensive
3. I don't think them not sharing the money is greedy, I really don't. I know that isn't much of a defense, but there really is no response to that one.
4. They and Jill & Thomas were the best two teams, so they "deserved" to win.
5. Brook & Claire in their bio bragged about making a six-digit salary, and Kevin makes over 100k from his videos on Youtube. I personally believe doctors should be payed more than these people.
6. What about Brendan & Rachel, Rob & Amber, Ethan & Jenna, and Jordan & Jeff? They raced for $1 million and they already got it at least once, and all they did was sit in a house or starve on a beach.

This probably won't change your opinion of Nat & Kat, but debate is always welcome in my opinion.

Welcome to RFF, PinappleSkin!!!!
 :welcome2:

Offline Polaroid

• RFF's TAR Live Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #118 on: April 09, 2012, 01:41:50 AM »
Welcome to RFF, PinappleSkin! :bigwelcome

The Amazing Race isn't a show where the person who needs the money the most wins. The Amazing Race is simply a competition. The team that crosses the finish line first wins. It doesn't matter what your motives are. If you want to see "deserving" people win the money, I think you would be best off watching another show. What they choose to do with THEIR money is their decision. If you would have donated some of your winnings to charity, I commend you, but they won the money fair and square, and they can do whatever they want with their money. I also agree with Best Loser. I don't think it's greedy either.

Besides, there are other people in the world who are more greedy and selfish than Nat & Kat. cough the Kardashians cough :res:

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
« Reply #119 on: April 09, 2012, 07:50:13 AM »

3. I don't think them not sharing the money is greedy, I really don't. I know that isn't much of a defense, but there really is no response to that one.
5. Brook & Claire in their bio bragged about making a six-digit salary, and Kevin makes over 100k from his videos on Youtube. I personally believe doctors should be payed more than these people.
6. What about Brendan & Rachel, Rob & Amber, Ethan & Jenna, and Jordan & Jeff? They raced for $1 million and they already got it at least once, and all they did was sit in a house or starve on a beach.

THIS +1

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #120 on: April 09, 2012, 09:18:41 AM »
The Amazing Race is simply a competition.

That's how I look at it.  I know the big tagline to the show is that people can win a million dollars, but as with other shows like Big Brother I'm sure many go on it as much for other reasons such as being fans of the show, the competition, the media interest/fame etc, or maybe just winning a prize by winning a leg too with TAR.  You need some luck to win these kind of shows anyway.

Offline coolio

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #121 on: April 10, 2012, 07:25:39 PM »

THIS +2

Offline Mug Costanza

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #122 on: April 12, 2012, 12:24:06 PM »

Conclusion: Nat and Kat seem nice and friendly on the surface, but they come off as absolute jerks for not sharing their winnings with anyone.

I remember a season finale/reunion show of Survivor ages ago (can't even remember which season), in which Jeff Probst said that there were pretty much two rules for the contestants of Survivor: You can't physically hit another player, and you can't conspire with other contestants to share the prize money. I'm sure a similar rule exists for The Amazing Race.
"I defy you to come up with a better name than Seven!"
"Alright... how 'bout Mug? Mug Costanza!"

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #123 on: April 12, 2012, 03:06:19 PM »

I have consistently criticized CBS/World Race Productions for encouraging cross-overs from Survivor and BigBrother.  Jordan only won $500,000 for Big Brother; she and Jeff finished AR16 in the middle of the pack. Ethan and Jenna only made the third leg of AR19. Rob and Amber came tantalizingly close to Amazing Race victory in AR7 (they were 2nd place) and lost out on the 4th leg of AR11. Brendon never won anything and his Rachel won $500,000 (not $1 million) in BigBrother, not a million. They appear to be in the F3, so they should have a good finish in AR20. However, if would have been better if all the above teams were never allowed to run an Amazing Race. They should have rested on their laurels.