Author Topic: TAR 17: Nat Strand and Kat Chang -- Doctors/Friends  (Read 86271 times)

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
Re: TAR 17: Nat Strand and Kat Chang -- Doctors/Friends
« Reply #76 on: December 13, 2010, 07:07:32 PM »
CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT FOR BEING THE FIRST ALL-FEMALE TEAM EVER TO WIN THE ORIGINAL AMAZING RACE!  I'M SO HAPPY FOR THEM!

Belle Book

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #77 on: December 13, 2010, 07:54:15 PM »
I'm looking at FB, twitter and forums and everyone's very happy they won. I guess TAR producers must be very happy they won too. Imagine the negativity they have to go through if J/T won. :cmaslol

Offline allie303

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #78 on: December 14, 2010, 07:56:13 AM »
Very happy they won  :cmas23

Good job ladies!

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #79 on: December 14, 2010, 10:01:17 AM »
I'm looking at FB, twitter and forums and everyone's very happy they won. I guess TAR producers must be very happy they won too. Imagine the negativity they have to go through if J/T won. :cmaslol

Well, the TAR producers should be happy!  Nat & Kat were strong, smart, very nice and tough when they needed to be (remember Kat eating that sheep head?)  As I said before, the doctors are possibly the best all-female representatives of the six all-female teams that made the Final 3.  Bravo to the TAR producers for casting them!

Belle Book

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
« Reply #80 on: December 14, 2010, 10:06:03 AM »
peach, is there any way you could get them to this site sometime? I'm so in love with them!

Offline Ruth

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • With all your heart!
« Reply #81 on: December 14, 2010, 11:52:57 AM »

Well, the TAR producers should be happy!  Nat & Kat were strong, smart, very nice and tough when they needed to be (remember Kat eating that sheep head?)  As I said before, the doctors are possibly the best all-female representatives of the six all-female teams that made the Final 3.  Bravo to the TAR producers for casting them!

Belle Book

I'm a hundred percent with you on that! My favourite all-female team has been Dustin and Kandice all this while, until Nat and Kat came along. This duo is unbelievable. I'm just in awe how they've NEVER gotten irritated with each other or with anyone or anything at all. I'm not talking about flaring up here, I'm talking about just a tint of irritation, which has never been present in these two. It's just amazing, considering how stressful the race is and how they've been living together 24/7 for 3 weeks. Love love love Nat and Kat to death!
TAR 26: Hayley and Blair` Mike and Rochelle` Jelani and Jenny`
Survivor 30: Jenn` Joe` Hali` Sierra`
AI 14: Jax` Clark` Joey`

Offline AmazingRace

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yup, we didn't win. Damn.
« Reply #82 on: December 14, 2010, 12:00:41 PM »

I'm a hundred percent with you on that! My favourite all-female team has been Dustin and Kandice all this while, until Nat and Kat came along. This duo is unbelievable. I'm just in awe how they've NEVER gotten irritated with each other or with anyone or anything at all. I'm not talking about flaring up here, I'm talking about just a tint of irritation, which has never been present in these two. It's just amazing, considering how stressful the race is and how they've been living together 24/7 for 3 weeks. Love love love Nat and Kat to death!

Absolutely. They were the epitome of Zen.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #83 on: December 14, 2010, 12:02:30 PM »
I know how much emphasis they put on Kat eating up that sheep head for the FF. But i honestly don't think we should remember them for just that FF as the only memorable moment they had.

We should remember them for how they won the race, they completely owned the last leg. :cmaslol

And of course, how they won the Russia leg when EVERY SINGLE team made a mistake (or race just too slow) and they just breezed through and came in first. And the many times they remained calm and positive and raced SO WELL. :kisses

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #84 on: December 14, 2010, 06:59:52 PM »
I know how much emphasis they put on Kat eating up that sheep head for the FF. But i honestly don't think we should remember them for just that FF as the only memorable moment they had.

We should remember them for how they won the race, they completely owned the last leg. :cmaslol

And of course, how they won the Russia leg when EVERY SINGLE team made a mistake (or race just too slow) and they just breezed through and came in first. And the many times they remained calm and positive and raced SO WELL. :kisses

I totally agree.  We should remember Nat & Kat as much for how they owned the last leg -- and for their many smart moves -- as for Kat's eating the sheep head to gain the FF!

Belle Book

Offline DaNutzki

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #85 on: December 17, 2010, 09:57:52 PM »
THE BEST ALL FEMALE TEAM EVER.  HISTORY IS IN THE MAKING.  THE FIRST ALL FEMALE TEAM TO WIN THE AMAZING RACE.  CONGRATULATIONS, NAT AND KAT!  YOU GALS DESERVE IT.   :hearts:

Offline Reilly Queens

• RFF's Game Queen
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • DESTINY
« Reply #86 on: December 17, 2010, 10:00:25 PM »
WOOOOOOO!!!!!

PHIL: NAT AND KAT YOU ARE THE OFFICIAL FIRST ALL FEMALE TEAM TO WIN THE AMAZING RACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:cmas9 :cmas9 :cmas9 :cmas9 :cmas9 :cmas9 :cmas23 :cmas23 :cmas23 :cmas23 :cmas23 :cmas26 :cmas26 :cmas26 :cmas26 :cmas26 :cmas26 :cmastree :cmastree :cmastree :cmastree :cmastree :cmastree

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
« Reply #87 on: December 18, 2010, 03:02:44 AM »
They get in the Finish Line while all teams cheer and clap!

They get smiling to the mat (which make me get some chills through my body).

"Are we first???!!!! Are we first???!!! Are we first??!!!"

"You have made Amazing Race History!"

And,everyone in our homes: "WOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!"

My sig is for them for years and years, definitely!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #88 on: December 21, 2010, 12:48:03 PM »
Catching up on all the interviews... liked this one!

Amazing Race' winners talk sheep heads, diabetes, and never getting angry at each other, EVER
by Darren Franich

Nat Strand and Kat Chang are two of the most adorably non-dramatic reality show contestants ever. The 17th season of Amazing Race had its fair share of squabbling couples (Nick and Vicki! Chad and Stephanie!) and passive-aggressive travel shenanigans, but the team of doctors made an inspirational portrait of courageous amiability under fire. Throw in the fact that Nat’s a diabetic with a fear of heights, and that vegetarian Kat had to devour a gloriously weird-looking sheep’s head in Norway, and you’re left with only one conclusion: These women deserved to win. (Read the full season finale recap here.) We caught up with the conquering heroines to get some clarification (why’d they fly to Dubai?) and ask the important question: Yeesh, do these women ever get angry?

Entertainment Weekly: Congrats on being the first ever all-woman team to win Amazing Race!
Kat: We’re still getting used to the title!
Nat: Even if it wasn’t us, we would’ve loved for any of the other girl-girl teams to win. We’re absolutely elated, and very honored, that we’re the lucky team that gets to carry that title.

You two never finished last, but you did have a couple of second-to-last-place legs. What was the low point?
Nat: Definitely the Oman leg. We had a map that was incorrect — we had the same map that Gary and Mallory had — and it took us to the wrong side of the entire mountain range. We got to the first clue six hours behind the other teams. Not only were we that much more exhausted, because our leg was hours longer than the other teams. When we got released the next day, we didn’t have time to catch the flight, so we called the airport on the way, and they were like, “Sorry.” We were gonna get to Bangladesh the next day. That’s why you saw us hop on a flight to Dubai.

You were just trying to get out of Oman, basically?
Kat: We looked up flights really quickly online, and there weren’t that many flights leaving Oman that evening. Our other option was to fly to Dubai.
Nat: What they didn’t show [on TV] is that we actually stopped by a hotel and looked up a bunch of flights. We knew that if we just bought the tickets at the airport, we would’ve basically been the Nick and Vicki.

From what we saw at home, it seems like the contestants got along well. In particular, you two seemed to really bond with Brook and Claire.
Kat: One of the best parts of the race was hanging out with all the other Racers, when you have those rare moments of down time. Like in the airports where you’re waiting for your flight to take off…
Nat: The slumber party in Oman!
Kat: The stinking shoes in the train! Just to get away from the actual stress of the race for just a second.

Did you have very much down time? How much sleep did you actually get?
Nat: We got so little sleep it was amazing. That was one of the big shockers for me. You’d get a clue, and go to the airport and often travel overnight to the next place.
Kat: Even when you’re on a plane, you’re always working. You’re talking to the other teams, you’re talking to some of the locals that might be flying to where you’re going, trying to get more information, you’re talking to the flight attendants.
Nat: You sleep every other night. And those pit stops are short! Say you have a 10-hour pit stop. By the time you check-in, and you do your post-interviews, you may be in the hotel room for only about seven hours. Well, what are you gonna do in your seven hours? You probably want to rinse out your clothes and dry them…
Kat: Or take a shower for the first time in three days.
Nat: So you’re probably sleeping like four or five hours. It was grueling.

With your jobs, you’re sort of adjusted to getting by without much sleep, right?
Kat: We’re used to still pushing through, even when we are tired. Obviously, with our jobs, you can’t just say, “I’m tired, I have to go take a nap now.” There’s patients you have to take care of. We’re used to being able to focus and getting stuff done.

Kat, which was harder: Eating the sheep’s head or trying to sell sunglasses in Ghana?
Kat: [Laughs] I think it was the sunglasses! Nat and I both feel pretty confident about tasks that are in our control. With the eating task, it was just a matter of getting it down and finishing it. With the sunglasses, I not only had to rely on my lack of sunglasses-selling ability, but also depend on who was walking by. Or if they even had the money to buy sunglasses.

Had you made peace with the fact that, at some point in the race, you’d have to eat meat? Or were you hoping that wouldn’t happen?
Kat: Well, I was hoping it was going to be a roadblock that Nat could perform. But obviously, we’re very familiar with the race. I think I was already mentally prepared going into the race that, if it was going to happen, I was going to do it. Or at least I was going to try my best.

You couldn’t have anticipated that it was going to be the grotesque head of a dead sheep.
Kat: No, that was really something special! [Laughs] Not only was it the head, it was the eyeballs, the tongue, the ears, cartilage, all of it.

Nat, on your bio at CBS.com, when asked, “What is your pet peeve about your partner?” your answer was, “Kat is so perfect! I don’t have a pet peeve.” So, I have to ask: Do you ever get angry, at all?
Nat: Not really. I’m a pretty happy person, and I just — I feel really blessed. You guys have watched Kat. She’s smart, she’s fit, she’s responsible, she’s a good friend. I really don’t have any pet peeves about Kat! I guess I could’ve made one up! I have a pet peeve now: Her hair always looks better than mine.
Kat: Well, that’s not that hard![Laughs]

Has it been strange watching the show play out on television?
Kat: What’s been most interesting is seeing the interactions of the other teams, since we actually didn’t see them while we were racing. We had no idea how bad the watermelon shot was, until we saw it just like every body else did.

Nat, was it hard watching the heights challenges again?
Nat: It was kind of fun [watching the bungee drop] last night! My heart started beating faster when they did those overhead shots. It’s so sweet, that moment right before they dropped us, when Kat reached out and held my hand because she knew I was terrified. It kind of reminds me of all the challenges that we faced together, and how it just strengthened our friendship even more.

You knew each other from UCLA, right?
Kat: Nat and I did our residency training at UCLA. We spent many hours, many holidays –
Nat: — many nights and weekends…
Kat: Many everything together. So that’s how we pretty much became friends.

Any plans for spending the money?
Nat: We have to do some necessary things, like paying back the student loans from medical school. I think we’d both love to donate to a cause. For me, diabetes research is a big thing. We’ve talked about maybe something for challenged athletes. We definitely want to donate something to a cause. And I think keep a little bit for us, to probably take a couple more trips. [Laughs]
Kat: We’ve got the travel bug now!

Had you two traveled very much before the race?
Kat: Nat and I have been very fortunate, and we’ve actually traveled a lot. It’s not something that we told the other racers! [Laughs] It’s one of our favorite things to do. It’s one of our passions. That’s one of the reasons we love watching The Amazing Race.

Had you been to any of the countries that you visited on the race?
Nat: I had studied abroad at Oxford in undergraduate school, so I actually lived in England for a few months. Everywhere else on the race was brand new for me.

Where was your favorite place?
Nat: Sweden. I absolutely loved it.
Kat: It’s her homeland, that’s why!
Nat: It was our first win, and Kat and I just had a great leg, so for several reasons, I really loved Sweden.

Kat, what about you?
Kat: For me, I think it was actually St. Petersburg. It was so amazingly, stunningly beautiful. One of the great things was that we did that whole leg where we were predominantly on foot, so we really got to see a lot more of it, so I remember it so vividly.

Nat, we didn’t see that much of your daily life living with diabetes on the race. Was it difficult?
Nat: It was definitely a challenge. Little things, like, how do you store a month’s worth of diabetic supplies? I change out my pump every two or three days. Insulin has to stay cold, so how do you carry insulin around in Ghana and Oman, and keep it from overheating? How do you carry enough snacks for a month? You know, if I get low blood sugar, I need to get sugar right away and eat, and sometimes you’re doing a leg for 16 hours with no food, my blood sugar would get really high. If my pump setting are time-set in Los Angeles, then when you’re in England, you’re reversed: When you’re normally sleeping, you’re awake! Even when we were trying to get a few hours of sleep, my pump would be alarming, and beeping, and it would need to be changed, it would need a new battery, my blood sugar was too high… [Laughs] All these kind of nitpicky little things that just take mental energy.

Would you come back for a future All-Stars edition if the offer was on the table?
Nat: In a New York minute!
Kat: We loved every second of it. We had a blast. We would definitely do it again.

http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/12/13/amazing-race-winners/
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
« Reply #89 on: December 21, 2010, 01:17:47 PM »
I HOPE THEY DO IT AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!! LOVE THEM TIME AND TIME AGAIN.

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #90 on: December 21, 2010, 05:46:09 PM »

I hope so too!  Preferably for a Winner's Edition!  Then we'd have the best of the winners!

Belle Book

Offline DaNutzki

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #91 on: December 21, 2010, 09:06:34 PM »

I hope so too!  Preferably for a Winner's Edition!  Then we'd have the best of the winners!

Belle Book

@Belle Book:

Yeah!  I prefer that one too!  I want to see who is the best among the rest of the teams and how will they outsmart each other.  Hope they can add more All Female Teams for the BATTLE OF THE CHAMPIONS Edition.

Offline Krab

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #92 on: December 21, 2010, 10:44:48 PM »
Having finally managed to view the (no longer region locked) additional clips of Nat and Kat, I'd like to add my praise and admiration for the way our two heroines personified mutual respect and admiration whilst competing - and winning! - in such a classy manner.

My own admiration is based on the fact that I travel a lot internationally for work - and can I tell you that jetlag can be a pain in the butt? The way our two wonder women dealt with their infamous Ghanian taxi driver just makes me want to ask them for their travel advice....I'd surely listen. Personally, I'd have been tempted to strangle him!!!

Finally, does anyone know if Nat has been approached by the American Diabetes Association? If she hasn't, she should be....talk about having a superb role model. I sincerely hope that somehow she is contacted by them.

Thank you Kat and Nat (just for a change) for being such wondereful winners - you have provided so many with so much pleasure.

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #93 on: December 22, 2010, 10:03:44 AM »
Having finally managed to view the (no longer region locked) additional clips of Nat and Kat, I'd like to add my praise and admiration for the way our two heroines personified mutual respect and admiration whilst competing - and winning! - in such a classy manner.

My own admiration is based on the fact that I travel a lot internationally for work - and can I tell you that jetlag can be a pain in the butt? The way our two wonder women dealt with their infamous Ghanian taxi driver just makes me want to ask them for their travel advice....I'd surely listen. Personally, I'd have been tempted to strangle him!!!

Finally, does anyone know if Nat has been approached by the American Diabetes Association? If she hasn't, she should be....talk about having a superb role model. I sincerely hope that somehow she is contacted by them.

Thank you Kat and Nat (just for a change) for being such wondereful winners - you have provided so many with so much pleasure.

I'd have been tempted to strangle that Ghanian taxi driver as well.  But I'd probably have more likely just bailed on him and tried to find another taxi driver.

Belle Book

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #94 on: December 22, 2010, 11:43:54 AM »
I'd have been tempted to strangle that Ghanian taxi driver as well.  But I'd probably have more likely just bailed on him and tried to find another taxi driver.

Belle Book

That incident in Ghana is probably where the doctors learned to ditch bad cab drivers.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 12:26:18 PM by The Prophet »
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #95 on: December 22, 2010, 06:13:09 PM »

Belle Book

That incident in Ghana is probably where the doctors learned to ditch bad cab drivers.

Or to find out which cab drivers are bad so that they could ditch the bad ones!

Belle Book

Offline DaNutzki

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #96 on: December 23, 2010, 02:06:47 AM »

Belle Book

Or to find out which cab drivers are bad so that they could ditch the bad ones!

Belle Book

Good thing is that they learned it when they get back to the US solving the Sancho Panza's Master.  Maybe because the Ghanian Taxi Driver wants to have a nice boundery for him to stop driving.  LOL!

Offline medicoshalon

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #97 on: January 05, 2011, 02:52:31 AM »
This team was always everybody's favorite, there chemistry is really awesome and they have really gone very far!!!!

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
« Reply #98 on: January 05, 2011, 06:19:00 AM »
Welcome medicoshalon!!! And yes, they've been my faves since the very beggining.

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #99 on: January 05, 2011, 10:02:54 AM »
This team was always everybody's favorite, there chemistry is really awesome and they have really gone very far!!!!

Or at least near the top of everyone's list -- I know some preferred Brook & Claire to Nat & Kat.  But there's a good reason why Nat & Kat were always near the top of the list or the favorites -- they were strong, smart and likeable with great chemistry!

Belle Book