Author Topic: Phil raises the idea of a Celebrity Fan edition  (Read 5010 times)

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
Phil raises the idea of a Celebrity Fan edition
« on: August 25, 2010, 10:52:08 PM »
From today's posting at EW.com "The Amazing Race"  Time for a Celebruty Edition?

Phil raises and discusses the possibility of casting an all-celebrity edition. I've raised this idea as an more viable alternative to another All-Star Edition, as it avoids some of the issue Bert has raised about how TAR All Stars didn't fit with what TAR should be, and could deal with celebrities being on TAR in a way that would be fair to those who aren't (unlike Boston Rob's casting in TAR 7).

If TPTB gave the casting process a longer lead time so interested celebrities could adjust their commitments, it could work, and work in a way that would be entertaining and fascinating at the same time.
-- theschnauzers

Offline kadilahopper

• RFF Jr. Member
Re: Phil raises the idea of a Celebrity Fan edition
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 09:21:33 AM »
I do believe I hear the nail in the coffin of TAR ringing loud and clear if this Celebrity edition comes to pass.  TAR's base is already outraged by all the semi-celebs taking over what the base sees as their "average Joe's chance to live a dream.  It is no longer a "reality show" in its present form.  It is just another publicity launching board for D-listed semi-celebs.  Any novice watching now can tell the difference between who has been in the spotlight before and who hasn't.  I won't even bother to watch or TIVO a celebrity edition.  I do believe that in the short term, such an edition might bring in viewers, but it would ultimately do irreparable damage to the base, and without the base, TAR will die.  What a waste!

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 09:47:41 AM »
I had posted this trivial article on the TAR17 Media thread before seeing it conceptually duplicate on this thread. The report was fishing and there was nothing of substance revealed.  Read it for yourself:

Celebrity 'Race'?
By AMANDA MELILLO

Last Updated: 9:55 AM, August 26, 2010

Posted: 12:56 AM, August 26, 2010

Could the next contestants on "The Amazing Race" be celebrities?

Phil Keoghan, who hosts the CBS show that features contestants racing around the globe, say the show is talking about the idea of famous challengers catching cabs in foreign cities or jumping into hot air balloons.

"If every celebrity who has told me they liked the show signed up and was a part of it, that would be huge," Keoghan told Entertainment Weekly.

"I know Sarah Jessica Parker is a big fan of the show, and I heard Drew Barrymore likes the show, and Neil Patrick Harris likes the show. I just don't know if they realize what [is in store]."

Keoghan has said the biggest hurdle would be finding celebs with enough time in their schedules to film the show at a single stretch.

The show usually takes nearly a month to film.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/tv/celebrity_race_T8SsJ1tgJi8k2hl1KiO6sJ#ixzz0xiuyO7dX

Offline Evan_Weinstein

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Amazing Racer
    • EVANMINAL-MINDS
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 09:49:56 AM »
one question, is that source reliable?
Singaporean here - PM me, if you need me to translate, Chinese, Malay, English, German or Japanese

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 10:25:29 AM »
one question, is that source reliable?
Reasonably so; you just have to read between the lines.
Quote from: duplicate quote
"If every celebrity who has told me they liked the show signed up and was a part of it, that would be huge,"
When you read something like "Keoghan told Entertainment Weekly," it could mean a number of things:
  • somebody faxed a press release, and EW was one of the recipients
  • there was a press conference, and EW was in the room
  • Phil was reading from template/boilerplate during a round of phone interviews
So it's probably genuine, just not unique.

Offline Competitor

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 12:19:12 PM »
Phil Keoghan, who hosts the CBS show that features contestants racing around the globe, say the show is talking about the idea of famous challengers catching cabs in foreign cities or jumping into hot air balloons.

This is not a good sentence and it could be the reason that we have not seen a season 18 application.

Offline MamaT

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 02:21:08 PM »
Oh, this idea is bad on so many levels.
First, they're not going to get big name celebrities. For many reasons, number 1 being, the agents/managers of said celebrities would never agree to it.  Secondly, these celebrities are just not going to be willing to do what it takes to run the race. Sarah Jessica Parker is not flying coach for a month.  Neil Patrick Harris is not taking 24 hour bus/train rides  etc.   So, at best you would end up with a cast of "C' & "D" list people (Bachelor show rejects, 1 hit wonders from 20 years ago, etc)
Even these people, though, would attract attention while traveling (especially while traveling with a film crew) and lately it seems that TPTB are doing their damnest to keep spoilers at a minimum (not that they can thwart the super geniuses of RFF)

And lastly, but IMO, most importantly, I hope the braintrusts behind this idea remember the basic premise of this show:  Ordinary people doing extraordinary things!

Offline Sandra1991

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 03:03:01 PM »
Secondly, these celebrities are just not going to be willing to do what it takes to run the race. Sarah Jessica Parker is not flying coach for a month.  Neil Patrick Harris is not taking 24 hour bus/train rides  etc.

This is what worries me the most about doing a celebrity TAR. I don't want them to change the rules to get famous people to do the Race (like celebrity racers being allowed to buy 1st class plane tickets).

Offline banredbeans

• Amazing Racer
  • RFF VIP
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 09:11:43 AM »
The more I think about this the more I like it :hearts:

It would be so much fun to see these stars go through the same problems we do as travelers in coach class of course

Offline inomu

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 10:06:14 AM »
Real celebrities would have lots of obstacles in their race: paparazzi would run behind them around the world and fans would ask autographs from them everywhere. So I say no to celebrity edition.

Offline Competitor

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 12:17:34 PM »
Real celebrities would have lots of obstacles in their race: paparazzi would run behind them around the world and fans would ask autographs from them everywhere. So I say no to celebrity edition.

Someone posted that it would have to be more b-list or c-list celebs. Probably a step up from Caite but you aren't going to see Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes running around either. Phil mentioned Drew Barrymore and Sarah Jessica Parker. I would be surprised if they could get a cast of celebs of that caliber.

Offline docol

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Can't wait 4 "The Amazing Race" 35...!!!!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2010, 05:55:31 PM »
it is very hard trying to hide "unknown" people from the spoilers...so, if there's an celebrity edition it will be like IMPOSSIBLE not to know where they are or what are they doing...i don't think CBS will say ok to this..!!
"" JUSTICE 4 DUSTIN&KANDICE: PUT THEM ON THE AMAZING RACE LEGENDS SEASON ""

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2010, 07:20:03 AM »
I think when you read the original article theschnauzers posted, and not the rewrite, it is pretty clear that Phil is saying they don't think it would work.

Keoghan says there have been talks about featuring a Hollywood edition but the realities of celebrity life make the possibility daunting. Though the show has hosted someone from Tinseltown before – actor-screenwriter-director Mike White (School of Rock) participated last year – its a far different situation when it involves busy actors. “The question that always comes up is would we be able to get them out of their schedule,” explains Keoghan. “They say they want to do it, but the reality is would their schedule allow for it, and would they really be able to put up with the schedule itself. It’s very different than anything else that’s shot, like a movie set. We sort of have to adhere to the rules of the world as opposed to creating our own rules on a set or in a studio. We are beholden to what happens in the real world. That makes it really tough.”
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.