Author Topic: Why is the slop not kosher?  (Read 10520 times)

Offline Rob

• RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Reality Fan Forum
Why is the slop not kosher?
« on: July 25, 2010, 10:49:59 PM »
maybe someone out there that is much more knowledgeable than me out there, but why can't Andrew eat the slop? He says its not kosher? But why? Isn't it mainly oatmeal? Is it because there is maybe milk in it?? I don't know, and would love to hear more about it!!

Offline Mug Costanza

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Why is the slop not kosher?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 11:10:30 PM »
I also thought I read an interview that said that BB would make kosher slop for him? Maybe I'm mistaken...
"I defy you to come up with a better name than Seven!"
"Alright... how 'bout Mug? Mug Costanza!"

Offline kc

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Happy Sunny Day
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 02:36:10 PM »
I was susprised by this myself, I mean if your forcing someone to only eat a certian thing wouldnt you make sure that it was ok to be eaten by everyone,  Wasnt there one contestant, Danni i think, who was allegic to it and was able to eat peanut butter instead.  I guess they just lucked out that America conviently chose baby food as the extra food.  I dont know what they would have dont if they chose differently and didnt provide anything with nutritinal value

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 05:05:13 PM »
I don't know the answer to this either, but wiki has this to say:

The Book of Genesis implies that there were no restrictions on any fruit, cereal, nuts, or other vegetable matter growing upon the earth.[81] However, Leviticus forbids the consumption of fruit from trees which are less than three years old,[82] and the eating of any grain which is too young to have been ready for harvest before the previous Passover[83];

Processed items (e.g. dry cereals, baked goods, canned fruits and vegetables, frozen vegetables, and dried fruit such as raisins) can also include small quantities of non-kosher ingredients. This is because these items are often cooked and processed in factories using equipment that is also used for non-kosher foods, or may involve containers used for processing that have been greased with animal fats. Sometimes additives are introduced, and fruits or vegetables may have been prepared with milk products or with ingredients such as non-kosher meat broths.

Another good question is why did BB not prepare better for this, and find a slop-like kosher substitute? There are bound to be some nasty kosher oatmeals out there, :lol: !!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 05:44:02 PM »
Andrew is Orthodox and will only accept kosher certification from one of the four main agencies that certify food.  He only accepts the circle-U certification.

The four different symbols:

Offline Libby

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 01:40:27 PM »
Not to be a hard-ass, but I fail to see why BB should make special allowances for him.  Someone with a medically documented food allergy is another story, as the slop would put their health at risk.  His religious preference is just that...a preference.  He came into the house knowing that slop was a possibility.  If he were allowed special treatment because of his religious practices, it sets a precedent.  There's nothing to keep me from applying and claiming that due to religious reasons, i can eat nothing but mint chocolate chip ice cream and grilled cheese sandwiches.  Some religions have strict ideas about cohabitation of the opposite sexes.  Are they going to build those people their own room?  I think its admirable that the other hg's are so considerate of his religious beliefs and I would do the same if I were in the house with him.  But he came into the house knowing the rules and possibilities and how his beliefs might make things more difficult for him.  It was his choice to make.

Offline kc

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Happy Sunny Day
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 02:00:49 PM »
  There's nothing to keep me from applying and claiming that due to religious reasons, i can eat nothing but mint chocolate chip ice cream and grilled cheese sandwiches. 

Where can I sign up for that religion???

Offline Libby

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 02:03:39 PM »
  There's nothing to keep me from applying and claiming that due to religious reasons, i can eat nothing but mint chocolate chip ice cream and grilled cheese sandwiches. 

I call it the Church of the Fat and Lazy.  All members welcome.

Offline God

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 10:00:28 AM »

No problem: you're in!
So help me, Me.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 06:35:59 PM »

No problem: you're in!

Oh my goodness, you are back with us again?  :waves:
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline God

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2010, 07:50:23 PM »
I've been busy creating mass quantities of ice cream and grilled cheese. Some new flavors of Snapple are in the works, too.
So help me, Me.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2010, 07:59:07 PM »
I've been busy creating mass quantities of ice cream and grilled cheese. Some new flavors of Snapple are in the works, too.

YUM!!! I hope there is some Kosher ice cream and Snapple for Andrew. He's been on slop and is severely depressed.  :tup:
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.