Author Topic: Previous TAR Seasons Discussions  (Read 391989 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: Previous TAR Seasons Discussions
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2011, 07:30:01 PM »
A kilo of caviar all for me??

Pass the toast points please! :lol3:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2011, 08:03:55 PM »
I am already sink, and now I am going to hurl.

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2011, 08:04:32 PM »
Sink....Sick...

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2011, 08:30:18 PM »
ohhhh poor baby! feel better soon!! :kuss:

Caviar, absolute Yum. But I did hear the season 5 caviar was NOT nice caviar. :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline phant0m

• RFF Sr. Member
  • I hate you all.
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2011, 08:41:00 PM »
omfg i remember it now. people pay THOUSANDS to get a 10th of what they got to eat (black caviar is especially expensive!). i wouldve destroyed it without mercy...

Offline AmazingRace

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yup, we didn't win. Damn.
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2011, 12:59:50 AM »
I could'nt find the Post-Production Error thread we had, but here is another one:

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2011, 10:01:50 AM »
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline GabyM

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2011, 11:01:37 PM »
And while we're on the subject of gross eating roadblocks, I'm mentioning the one with the spicy soup from season 6. I like spicy food and all, but it looked to me like the chefs OD'd on the paprika, which was most likely the reason so many teams were getting sick...although it did give us a few good quotes  :lol:

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2012, 07:01:16 AM »
Most Amazing Races have 12 legs. They have 8 elimination legs and one finale, so that leaves 3 for NELs and TBC legs. The possibilities left are are:

1. one TBC and one NEL(already experienced)
2. three NEL legs (two left, so either both before the double finale leg or one during it)

On the question of why NELs are back end loaded, that is traditionally the way WRP elects to do it. That way more teams get eliminated in early legs and production costs go down.

Offline weihen

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2012, 07:25:57 AM »
There will be two more NEL's to meet the limits. May 6th is a two hour two episode show, that's what is confusing you I think. The show airs all night but April 1.

The double show for the finale wasn't so confusing as was exactly how they would still have four teams in the running at the start of the finale night show.

It would seem to have to be two more NELs, but that struck me as excessive since that would make two of the four remaining legs before finale night NELs.  Is it normal to have NELs more frequently towards the end like that?
S14....
leg8 NEL
leg9 F4
lrg10 TBC(2 Ep)
Leg11 Final

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2012, 11:02:53 PM »
Season 13/14 were about the only seasons with 11 legs/episodes because of CBS spring scheduling issues.
Since 14, the show has become set at 12 legs (or equivalent if there's a double leg in there,) 12 hours, 12 episodes (and one being 2 hours when necessary for scheduling.)
The other thing is that the show has figured out how to do two legs in one city which they've done regularly and which reduces costs and still allows that additional hour.
-- theschnauzers

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2012, 07:41:31 AM »
Since 14, the show has become set at 12 legs (or equivalent if there's a double leg in there,) 12 hours, 12 episodes (and one being 2 hours when necessary for scheduling.)
The other thing is that the show has figured out how to do two legs in one city which they've done regularly and which reduces costs and still allows that additional hour.

I am sorry, the schnauzers, but my research does not substantiate your thesis that the show does two legs in one city. I believe that there are no examples of that since AR14. In AR13, Moscow was such an example and in AR14 Beijing was too. However, since then here are the examples of ttwo legs/one country:

AR15 - Cai Be, Ho Chi Minh City
AR16 - Valparaiso, Puerto Varas
AR18 - Sydney, Broken Hill
          Lijiang, Kunming
          Kolkata, Varanasi
AR19   Phuket, Bangkok

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2012, 10:08:49 AM »

I am sorry, the schnauzers, but my research does not substantiate your thesis that the show does two legs in one city. I believe that there are no examples of that since AR14. In AR13, Moscow was such an example and in AR14 Beijing was too. However, since then here are the examples of ttwo legs/one country:

Lijiang, Kunming
          Kolkata, Varanasi
AR19   Phuket, Bangkok

In TAR17, legs 6 and 7 were both in St. Petesburg, Russia.
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline TARFansurvivor

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2012, 11:07:23 AM »

Lijiang, Kunming
          Kolkata, Varanasi
AR19   Phuket, Bangkok

In TAR17, legs 6 and 7 were both in St. Petesburg, Russia.
TAR 16 two legs in Shanghai, TAR 18 two legs in Zermatt and TAR 19 two legs in Brussels.
Love The Amazing Race, The Apprentice and Survivor.

Offline maxen

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2012, 11:12:48 AM »
What about Prague (15)???

Offline TARFansurvivor

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2012, 11:14:23 AM »
What about Prague (15), Shanghai (16), Zermatt (18) and maybe Brussells (19)???
Oh i forgot Prague!!!! :groan: :groan: :groan: :groan:
Love The Amazing Race, The Apprentice and Survivor.

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2012, 01:23:03 PM »
Wither Dubai (15)?

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2012, 01:31:50 PM »

I am sorry, the schnauzers, but my research does not substantiate your thesis that the show does two legs in one city. I believe that there are no examples of that since AR14. In AR13, Moscow was such an example and in AR14 Beijing was too. However, since then here are the examples of two legs/one country:

Lijiang, Kunming
          Kolkata, Varanasi
AR19   Phuket, Bangkok

In TAR17, legs 6 and 7 were both in St. Petersburg, Russia.
TAR 16 two legs in Shanghai, TAR 18 two legs in Zermatt and TAR 19 two legs in Brussels.

OK,I find that St. Petersburg, while not 2 full legs does qualify for close enough to 2. Shanghai has no qualifications; it clearly had 2 legs in the same city.

However, Zermatt only had slightly more than one leg; it does not qualify as 2 legs in my judgment. Brussels does not qualify either. If has small pieces of 2 legs wrapped around 1 full leg. I count that as 1 leg.

So, kudos to Alaneveda for adding to the knowledge base and TARFANSurvivor for also adding to it. There are 5 valid examples of 2 places/1 country/2 legs versus 2 for 1 place/2 legs.

Offline tarflyonthewall

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2012, 10:44:54 PM »
Brussels does not qualify either. If has small pieces of 2 legs wrapped around 1 full leg. I count that as 1 leg.

Semantics and Hamburg drive-by aside, you have a leg and a half in the Copenhagen area, and a leg and a half in the Brussels area (and two Pit Stops in Brussels proper). Either way, you pretty much lose a location in the middle.

And what is the justification for those drive-by visits, anyway? Haven't had any in years, and all of a sudden there are FOUR in Central Europe (Salzburg/Liechtenstein/Zermatt, Copenhagen/Hamburg/Brussels, Brussels/Amsterdam/Panama City, Turin/Ehrwald/Bavaria) in three seasons? It can't be a lack of air routes - as we saw in TAR Australia, Brussels has a perfectly capable airport of its own. Is it just a way of artificially inflating the country count?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 10:54:49 PM by tarflyonthewall »

addie

« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2012, 01:24:52 AM »
Brussels does not qualify either. If has small pieces of 2 legs wrapped around 1 full leg. I count that as 1 leg.

Semantics and Hamburg drive-by aside, you have a leg and a half in the Copenhagen area, and a leg and a half in the Brussels area (and two Pit Stops in Brussels proper). Either way, you pretty much lose a location in the middle.

And what is the justification for those drive-by visits, anyway? Haven't had any in years, and all of a sudden there are FOUR in Central Europe (Salzburg/Liechtenstein/Zermatt, Copenhagen/Hamburg/Brussels, Brussels/Amsterdam/Panama City, Turin/Ehrwald/Bavaria) in three seasons? It can't be a lack of air routes - as we saw in TAR Australia, Brussels has a perfectly capable airport of its own. Is it just a way of artificially inflating the country count?

The cities in the second Brussels leg  aren't in Brussels itself. If you call them Brussels Area then you can call whole Belgium Brussels Area. :lol:

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2012, 08:14:53 AM »
I suspect it helps 'manage' the racers on a somewhat stable timeline; we don't know how teams would manage had they driven from Turin to Fussen, or flown directly from Brussels to Panama City (though I think in this specific case there was a direct flight from Schipol to Panama that was utilized). Any sort of fringe benefits (extra visas to confuse the racers, paranoia that there's more things they have to remember, more downtime for racers to bond or bicker) are unintentional.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2012, 07:31:38 PM »
Here is a quote from theschnauzers about how production cannot manipulate the game.

Just a quick comment in all of the speculation.  Tasks are not changed at the last moment to favor teams; the elimination points are not changed, i.e., a non-elimination leg remains a non-elimination leg. I don't know if it is still being done, but in the early seasons, it was mentioned that production actually prepared a sworn affidavit, prior to the start of filming,of the tasks that would be used and at what point so as to avoid claims that tasks were changed on the spot to favor any team.
The affidavit, as I understood what was mentioned at the time, also included the backup tasks or legs in case of problems at any point in the race. There's absolutely no way a last minute change in location or tasks can be made without some advance preparation (local production crew and extras) so it can be executed and keep filming on track.
It irritates me to no end when there's a suggestion such as changing a task or an elimination point to favor keeping a particular team in the race. Among other things, since TAR is legally considered under US law to be a game show, it is required to comply with federal law that prohibits manipulation of the game elements to favor or not favor particular teams.

I basically agree with theschnauzers. However, there is one huge counter-example, the changing of the pit stop for AR All Stars episode 6 from what we  believe to be Arusha back to StoneTown on Zanzibar Island due to the major disruption of flights into Dar-Es-Salaam. There is little question that this was done. It may have been part of a backup plan or it may have been improvised on the fly.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2012, 08:03:00 PM »
IIRC, the ultimate pit stop for that disrupted leg of TARAS was an alternate task or route marker point. I recall Phil saying something along the lines, after that leg aired, that they had to pack the original pit stop and go back to that location that ended up being used. I'm not sure if the teams were told in a clue or not because, as we learned by that point the sound editors could very precisely edit the audio track to create new sentences out of unrelated sentences at different times and from different places.
My guess would be that the plans had alternate pit stops listed to cover all contingencies. (Don't forget TAR 19 in Thailand where the pit stop of the second leg and a task that led to it were the only tasks in Bangkok, everything else was in Phuket.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 08:07:49 PM by theschnauzers »
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2012, 08:41:00 PM »
This has nothing to do with TAR 20, lol.

But the TAR11 teams knew nothing about the change.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline selkie

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2012, 10:38:08 PM »
Also, the original To Be Continued was created on the fly because the producers hadn't done their research and scheduled a NEL during a 'take all your money as a penalty' season in a country where it was illegal for the last Racers to turn around and beg in the streets for cab money to get to the airport.

They can't adjust the Book in order to favor a team they think will be popular. But they've got a lot more leeway in terms of adjusting on the fly than a show filmed on a nice controlled sound stage because Stuff Happens, and they've got a history of adjusting things if a Racer is impacted by an error caused by Production, even if they don't announce time credits like they used to.  They also omitted a Speed Bump that Vicki & Nick should have faced a few seasons ago because of some sort of snafu during what seemed to be an impossibly hard music task in, IIRC, Russia.

http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/the-amazing-race-leg-omitted-speed-bump-due-production-issues-11697.php

(There's some speculation that the production issue as bad enough that Vicki & Nick's non-elimination was unplanned, but production claimed it was a scheduled NEL.)

And I'm sure that production has also regularly thrown up hours of operation signs on the fly in order to prevent teams from ending up spread over three different continents. Again with the TARAS where Charla and Mirna got a day ahead of everyone in Africa because of the Great School Holidays and Hadj mess, went to take their boat to the next task, and instead came across a sign saying the boat couldn't operate that day due to high seas that looked a good 3-5 inches of fierce waves.