Author Topic: Previous TAR Seasons Discussions  (Read 392882 times)

Offline NMC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Formally nmccarroll91 🇮🇪
Re: Previous TAR Seasons Discussions
« Reply #475 on: February 08, 2017, 08:09:46 AM »
Feels like aaaaaaages since I've been on here!  :waves:

So decided I'd rewatch UB to get ready for S29, and now it's really got me in the mood to watch "The Season That Shan't Be Named:peek  Only watched it once when it first aired, so I'm really hoping a second viewing might actually do it justice.  ???

I mean, surely it CAN'T be as bad as I remember .......................................... Can it??  :groan:
.... The World is Waiting! ....

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
« Reply #476 on: February 08, 2017, 01:58:33 PM »
Welcome back NMC!

I really enjoyed S18. Not so much on S24, but everyone I think here hated it (or, most of them anyway!) I hope your opinion changes!

Offline NMC

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #477 on: February 08, 2017, 05:20:28 PM »
Welcome back NMC!

I really enjoyed S18. Not so much on S24, but everyone I think here hated it (or, most of them anyway!) I hope your opinion changes!

Thanks for the warm welcome back BourkieBoy!  :<3

So... Eh... Yeeeaaah.... Just watched Leg 1 again, and I don't know what to make of it?
I do like most of the teams, and tried to forget everything I hated about it, and start over, but I'm already sick of Rachel!  :groan:

And the editing!  (:;)  It totally skips CaroJen, and JJ doing the RB, and misses half the teams finish the Start Line task, which I still feel should've held some kind of penalty for the last team.
The tasks....... Find a shop, pick a bubble, do a spin, Pitstop!  :gaah:  Awful Leg design! This is All Stars!!!

I'm debating whether to even continue on, but I remember Leg 2 was actually pretty good, even though I'm definitely still bitter over Mark & Mallorys elimination.  :lol:

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #478 on: February 08, 2017, 06:52:46 PM »
I still like it.

Also I'm sure those cut parts would've been shown on air, had Bopper not had his medical scare and taken up more airtime.

Let me break it down how I see it: The first leg is indeed lackluster in design. It's not BAD, but it's also not good. But then again...

Leg 1 in TAR11? Pick up a clue, get a departure time, find a park and play with a horse for a little bit. Maybe it's a trend of All-Stars races? lol!

Anyway, the second leg was better, if marred by Mark & Mallory drama. Then the third and fourth legs were pretty terrible. However, we know that both of those legs were last-minute replacement legs. It wasn't entirely the producers' faults, and it's clear in some areas that they had to really rush to get a coherent leg together in time.

Legs after that get a lot better. In fact, the only issue I have beyond that is that they spend two legs in a country four times in a row. Just a nitpick really.

It's funny you bring this up now, because I have been rewatching TAR24 right now as well. I'm just about to hit the Switzerland leg. Over the past few months I've been rewatching old seasons in order to compile Clue-by-Clue leaderboards for our Wiki, and just now got to TAR24.

Check them out! They're so awesome!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 07:51:01 PM by GB »
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline NMC

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #479 on: February 09, 2017, 05:52:55 AM »
You've done an outstanding job on the Wiki, GB.  :conf:

I forgot about TAR11 - But your right, it had a very poor first Leg, but hit its stride by Leg 2 / 3.

It's just a pity it was an All-Star Season that suffered the fate of production mishaps, such as the rescheduling of Legs, etc..

Staying in a country for 2 Legs really bugs me too, but I guess, with all the other problems it had, this is one of the lesser things wrong with the Season, IMO.

I'll stick it out, and watch a few more Legs, but the order of Elimination is pretty dire as well.  :groan:
Guess one silver lining is I forgot how much I LOVED Mark & Mallory, although I remember Mark was almost universally hated after Leg 2.  :escape

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #480 on: February 09, 2017, 03:40:17 PM »
He interviewed later that he would have lost his winter clothes, his glasses, and his contact lenses with the backpack. Not being able to see or read things would've been a pretty big obstacle for him, especially if he ended up with the Roadblocks in Rome or Wales.

I also actually like this season's Switzerland leg when compared with its nearly identical predecessor in Season 22. 22's had way too much train travel and not much substance in between. 24's had a few puzzling clues, a brain teaser at the auto museum, and no trains except for the beginning. (Plus a spectacular Pit Stop location)
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline NMC

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #481 on: February 10, 2017, 06:13:57 AM »
He interviewed later that he would have lost his winter clothes, his glasses, and his contact lenses with the backpack. Not being able to see or read things would've been a pretty big obstacle for him, especially if he ended up with the Roadblocks in Rome or Wales.

I also actually like this season's Switzerland leg when compared with its nearly identical predecessor in Season 22. 22's had way too much train travel and not much substance in between. 24's had a few puzzling clues, a brain teaser at the auto museum, and no trains except for the beginning. (Plus a spectacular Pit Stop location)

I remember he also said that the bag was given to him by Dave & Rachel, and he didn't want to leave it behind, which I always thought was kinda silly, because DaveChel strike me as a team that would've definitely left it behind had it been the other way about.  ???
But at least he clears up why he was so adamant about getting it back, if his glasses, etc, were in it.
I remember cussing that S22 Leg to hell with their trains, I still blame the trains for Chuck & Wynonas downfall.  (:;)
Death by too many trains!  :torche

Edit - Finally got round to rewatching Leg 2, and it's actually a great Leg, despite Backpack Gate.  It felt like everyone had equal screen time, and no one was invisible.  Mark & Mall shooting out in front is fantastic, and their elimination is one of the most heartfelt there's ever been.  It was a great send off with all the other teams there as well.
I'm still extremely upset over their elimination though.  :pity :'(  They could've been 1st GODAMMIT!!! :lol:  :funny:  I would have absolutely no problem with Mark & Bopper being asked back again.

The biggest WTF moment of the Leg was the Cowboys giving away the EP to CaroJen!  :groan:  Guess they knew it would be burned, and not have to worry about it for the rest of the race.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 11:35:19 AM by NMC »

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #482 on: February 10, 2017, 03:32:32 PM »
THEY later interviewed that, if at all possible, they were only going to give it away to someone they knew would immediately use it. That was their plan.

Offline cbacbacba1

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #483 on: February 11, 2017, 12:54:23 AM »

I remember he also said that the bag was given to him by Dave & Rachel, and he didn't want to leave it behind, which I always thought was kinda silly, because DaveChel strike me as a team that would've definitely left it behind had it been the other way about.  ???
But at least he clears up why he was so adamant about getting it back, if his glasses, etc, were in it.
I remember cussing that S22 Leg to hell with their trains, I still blame the trains for Chuck & Wynonas downfall.  (:;)
Death by too many trains!  :torche

Edit - Finally got round to rewatching Leg 2, and it's actually a great Leg, despite Backpack Gate.  It felt like everyone had equal screen time, and no one was invisible.  Mark & Mall shooting out in front is fantastic, and their elimination is one of the most heartfelt there's ever been.  It was a great send off with all the other teams there as well.
I'm still extremely upset over their elimination though.  :pity :'(  They could've been 1st GODAMMIT!!! :lol:  :funny:  I would have absolutely no problem with Mark & Bopper being asked back again.

The biggest WTF moment of the Leg was the Cowboys giving away the EP to CaroJen!  :groan:  Guess they knew it would be burned, and not have to worry about it for the rest of the race.
Begging for the EP is the best and smartest move done by CaroJen throughout their race career  :bunny

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #484 on: February 12, 2017, 01:45:01 AM »
Just finished up TAR24 and I remembered the only other thing I didn't like about the season.

That David Copperfield Roadblock...

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #485 on: February 13, 2017, 04:23:46 AM »
Oh dear... THIS leg wasn't very kind to the clue-by-clue leaderboards...

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #486 on: February 13, 2017, 11:25:12 AM »

What do you mean? One of my favorite legs ever since I got to see the first half live...
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #487 on: February 13, 2017, 12:39:30 PM »

What do you mean? One of my favorite legs ever since I got to see the first half live...

He means the new clue by clue race order. You didn't see all the teams get their clues so most of it was unknown.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #488 on: February 13, 2017, 04:00:10 PM »
Yeah, tons of question marks. There have been a few question marks before-hand, like with the TAR24 starting line task, but this one left out a lot.

In the grand scheme of things, none of it was important, per se, but it does end up making the leaderboard look a little ugly.

Offline SamualDude

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • YES.YES.YES
« Reply #489 on: February 16, 2017, 02:33:20 PM »
With the revelation of the new continent Zealandia meaning that New Zealand is on a seperate continent than Australia can it be said retrospectively that seasons such as season 2 visited 6 continents?
It's Clobbering Time!

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #490 on: February 16, 2017, 07:48:03 PM »
The what of the what now?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
« Reply #492 on: February 16, 2017, 10:22:39 PM »
New Zealand's a continent???? Whaaatyttt???

Offline SamualDude

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • YES.YES.YES
« Reply #493 on: February 17, 2017, 01:12:51 AM »
New Zealand's a continent???? Whaaatyttt???

Not quite. It turns out there is a continent which New Caledonia and New Zealand sit on which is separate from the continent Australia sits on.
It's Clobbering Time!

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #494 on: February 17, 2017, 03:03:26 AM »
Ehhh...I doubt this will end up joining the "classic" 7 continents. Antarctica isn't really a continent after all, but a fractured archipelago covered by ice.

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #495 on: February 17, 2017, 05:30:21 PM »
Whaaaaaaaaat, this sounds so bizarre :funny:
It will take some time before people actually start applying this knowledge in their day-to-day lives. Or maybe the theory will still get debunked.

Offline NMC

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #496 on: February 19, 2017, 01:45:41 PM »
Just finished up TAR24 and I remembered the only other thing I didn't like about the season.

That David Copperfield Roadblock...

Was on vacation for the past week, so only getting back round to continuing 24 now.  Binged Legs 4 - 9 today, and it really does make for much better viewing whilst being binged.  My perception so far has been pretty positive.  :escape  .... And I despised this Season before I started re-watching it. :iok

All I remember people complaining about was Dave whining, all the Cancer talk, and the Accidental Alliance.  But after Leg 9, there's still been no talk of Cancer, and Dave's whining, though annoying, really isn't as bad as I remembered.  So all in all, I've been pretty happy.   :peek

There are still loads of things I don't like though - So many tasks involving sound, which would've had a great impact on Luke & Margie had they got further.  Teams helping out EVERY other team.  :groan:  Like GB said previously in the thread, 2 Legs in the same country FOUR times in a row!  AND THE RB COUNT!!!  :gaah:  - Did they ever address that?  I don't recall?  ???

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #497 on: February 19, 2017, 02:03:48 PM »
Yes. Because it would have been impossible for Luke to do the Roadblock in Wales, for this season only they said that no-one could do more than six Roadblocks before the 11th leg, instead of before the 12th leg. That way, Luke wouldn't have been stuck with the pronunciation task.

Offline NMC

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #498 on: February 19, 2017, 04:22:22 PM »
Yes. Because it would have been impossible for Luke to do the Roadblock in Wales, for this season only they said that no-one could do more than six Roadblocks before the 11th leg, instead of before the 12th leg. That way, Luke wouldn't have been stuck with the pronunciation task.

That actually makes so much sense.  :o  Then I have absolutely no problem with Connor having done more RB's then Dave now.  :lol:

Finished the Season there, and as much of the minority I'm gonna be in, I really enjoyed it.  Sure it has a lot of things wrong with it, but overall, I wouldn't class it any lower than some other Seasons I can think off.  It's still the worst of the 3 returnee Seasons, but as I said, I thoroughly enjoyed it.  :hide:
Bring on S29!  :cheer:

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #499 on: February 20, 2017, 04:15:28 AM »

Oh and how on earth was he going to do the final two roadblocks either. If I remember correctly, in Season 14, he couldn't do the second roadblock because of need to understand "visual cues" from the instructors.