Author Topic: Previous TAR Seasons Discussions  (Read 393040 times)

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
Re: Previous TAR Seasons Discussions
« Reply #450 on: January 02, 2017, 04:36:14 PM »
I randomly popped in my TAR5 DVD the other day and watched Legs 5-9 (Egypt, Tanzania, Kenya, Dubai, India).
And I was reminded of how amazing season 5 really is. Been  a while since I'd actually watched these episodes and they were just as enjoyable now as they've always been.  So many interesting stories, rivalries (obviously) and just good tasks on good Legs.  The Dubai Leg though with basically only 1/3 of the episode on actual Racing and 2/3 of it on all the drama concerning possibly getting ripped off by taxis.  Insane!  So good.

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
« Reply #451 on: January 02, 2017, 06:05:44 PM »
I randomly popped in my TAR5 DVD the other day and watched Legs 5-9 (Egypt, Tanzania, Kenya, Dubai, India).
And I was reminded of how amazing season 5 really is. Been  a while since I'd actually watched these episodes and they were just as enjoyable now as they've always been.  So many interesting stories, rivalries (obviously) and just good tasks on good Legs.  The Dubai Leg though with basically only 1/3 of the episode on actual Racing and 2/3 of it on all the drama concerning possibly getting ripped off by taxis.  Insane!  So good.

Charla and Mirna VERSUES everyone! Oh yeah, the Dubai leg would have to be one of my all-time fav legs. And the fligh drama from Eygpt.

Offline ornaciawasrobbed

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #452 on: January 02, 2017, 10:12:19 PM »
Charla and Mirna VERSUES everyone!

I'm not a fan of three-peater teams but if I had to choose one I'd choose Charla and Mirna for the shenanigans.

"LEVEL FIVE CHARLA LEVEL FIIIIIIIVEEEE"

Offline cbacbacba1

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #453 on: January 03, 2017, 04:20:41 AM »

I'm not a fan of three-peater teams but if I had to choose one I'd choose Charla and Mirna for the shenanigans.

NO The new fans don't know who they are! So they are not eligible to run the race again  :funny:

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #454 on: January 03, 2017, 04:21:41 AM »
Ngll I'd kill to see Dustin & Kandace again.

Offline Lemontail

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #455 on: January 03, 2017, 04:54:15 AM »
When I first watched TAR 10 and 11, I felt like that Dustin & Kandice were in their 20s and now it feels like they're now in 40s even though they're now in 30s... Man I feel old, despite 2005 and 2006 felt like was just four years ago!
"I will not not be rich" - Renata Klein on Big Little Lies

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #456 on: January 03, 2017, 02:42:23 PM »

NO The new fans don't know who they are! So they are not eligible to run the race again  :funny:

I feel like the whole idea that new fans don't know who they are is kind of a weak argument on why teams early on should not return. I feel like the Amazing Race fan base has a lot of loyal fans who would love to see old racers. Especially with ratings dropping in recent seasons, the gimmicks that the race puts on might actually be turning away old and new fans alike. By bringing in old racers, it might bring back old viewers.

Offline TARUSAFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #457 on: January 03, 2017, 09:20:05 PM »
I'd love to see Charla & Mirna and Dustin & Kandice race again

Offline BourkieBoy

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #458 on: January 03, 2017, 10:08:23 PM »

So would I! To join them, Colin and Christie, Tara and Wil, John and Victoria and Kevin and Drew. This would be the Ulimate season!

Offline Lemontail

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #459 on: January 03, 2017, 11:56:15 PM »

So would I! To join them, Colin and Christie, Tara and Wil, John and Victoria and Kevin and Drew. This would be the Ulimate season!

Jonathan & Victoria? WTF? BIG no.  :hand:  :groan:

Offline BourkieBoy

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #460 on: January 04, 2017, 12:07:59 AM »

I liked watching them argue! However, when he shoved her was purely disgusting!

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #461 on: January 04, 2017, 12:13:27 AM »

I liked watching them argue! However, when he shoved her was purely disgusting!

So the shove is the only gross thing and Jonathan letting Victoria bleed in Africa and not helping her even when Kendra screamed at him to help her wasn't? What a vile team.

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #462 on: January 04, 2017, 05:26:17 AM »
I don't want to see Jonathan & Victoria ever again. The only thing I'd like to know is if they have finally broken up.

Offline Lemontail

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #463 on: January 04, 2017, 05:30:09 AM »
I don't want to see Jonathan & Victoria ever again. The only thing I'd like to know is if they have finally broken up.

They're already divorced years ago, with one children (girl) in hands of Jonathan...

Offline ornaciawasrobbed

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #464 on: January 05, 2017, 07:51:39 AM »

I feel like the whole idea that new fans don't know who they are is kind of a weak argument on why teams early on should not return. I feel like the Amazing Race fan base has a lot of loyal fans who would love to see old racers. Especially with ratings dropping in recent seasons, the gimmicks that the race puts on might actually be turning away old and new fans alike. By bringing in old racers, it might bring back old viewers.

New fans "Not knowing who they are" being unacceptable says that "you need to know these teams in order to watch and understand this season". It's a ridiculous excuse when you look at the mess that was season 24, particularly the editing and realise you didn't need to know any of the teams to "get" that season.

Three-peaters
-The Cowboys: Their storyline this season is "We didn't win and also we are cowboys". If you are a fan who followed the drama off the race then their storyline was "We were beaten by a sneaky gay guy in season 16 and a sneaky lesbian in season 18, I mean actually we got beat fair and square, but CBS won't air our opinion on LGBT people  but anyways we need to win this time". But on the actual show we learn nothing new about them.
-The Globetrotters: Did they have a storyline in any of the 3 seasons? Big Easy is bad at mental puzzles and sometimes we do some tricks with items and they play our theme song over the footage is the most we got out of them. I like them but they did not need to come back.
-Margie and Luke: Out of the 3 returning three-peaters, Margie and Luke are the only ones who's storyline progresses from the past 2 seasons in that they cover Luke's sexuality in a throwaway 30 second clip. It's the only new thing we learn about them because other than that it's "Margie can run fast for an 'older' lady and Luke still has tantrums during tasks" which you can learn just by watching this season anyways.

The other teams
-Natalie and Nadiya: They didn't have a storyline this season. I think they tried to say "look, they are fighting which is definitely what took them out last time", but actually it was a poorly designed leg with a couple luck challenges and a linear roadblock so it wasn't that they fought, it was that the race was dull.
-Mark and Mallory: Well they weren't even a team before so you didn't need to know their history, it's covered in the first episode. "Bopper can't race so I must win for him" is it.
-Joey and Meghan: You need to know that they were on the race before. This time they are less happy because they realised leg 1 that this course sucks. You may want to compare how they were not humble to how thankful they were before but it's not a necessity. Actual storyline wise they could be newcomers.
-Jessica and John: You need to know that they got eliminated with an express pass in hand. OR you would need to know that, if they won the express pass this season. They did not so they could be newcomers.
-Leo and Jamal: You need to know that they lost. Yeah that's covered in ep 1. The other teams don't know that they were considered sneaky on their season so it's not like they need to act any differently this season???
-Brendon and Rachel: They act slightly better than the first time they were on though no prior knowledge is necessary still have the same moments as before.
-Caroline and Jennifer: They ALMOST have a storyline that links back to their season when Meghan spills the T in an interview during leg 2 but then Meghan gets eliminated the next leg and Caroline and Jennifer just kind of...exist. Somehow. To 2nd place. While singing their song about winning. Which they don't. If they were a brand new team it would have changed nothing.
-Dave and Connor: Of all the teams this season this is probably the only one you need to "know" BUT then again you don't as they spend 12 legs talking about everything that they already covered on their first season.
Dave walks: "Ohhh hope my achilles holds up ;)"
Dave sits: "Oh now I don't have to worry about my achilles ;)"
Connor does a roadblock: "Glad I'm doing this as if you don't know already, we got eliminated in our first season because of my dad's achilles".
Dave gets U-Turned: "BUT ACHILLES, CANCER, I'M OLD, HOW DARE."
So their entire characterisation is pretty much covered again (to the point no other team has any story).

Sorry about the rant, but to sum up, you could bring back ANY TEAM from any of the previous 28 seasons and the "new fans" would survive because most of the teams are given a shallow 2 dimensional edit anyways. And with that I start my official petition to bring back Matt and Ana from season 1.
Please sign.

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #465 on: January 05, 2017, 10:00:35 AM »

New fans "Not knowing who they are" being unacceptable says that "you need to know these teams in order to watch and understand this season". It's a ridiculous excuse when you look at the mess that was season 24, particularly the editing and realise you didn't need to know any of the teams to "get" that season.

I was arguing that you could bring back any team and ratings would be fine/good :lol: :tup:

Offline BourkieBoy

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #466 on: January 05, 2017, 05:28:44 PM »
 I would to see SO many teams from the ancient' seasons back, its not funny. So, I'm not going to name them all.

However, from the list ornaciawasrobbed provided, I would like to see these teams as follows:
Margie and Luke
Joey and Meghan
Bopper and Gary (if Mark and Mallory raced together, why can't Bopper and Garry lolz  :sera:)
Brendon and Rachel
Other earlier teams

These teams (I think) are entertaining and will get views up higher, which means more seasons of TAR!

Feel free to disagree with me   :)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 06:01:39 PM by BourkieBoy »

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #467 on: January 05, 2017, 05:51:09 PM »
You literally just named all recent teams and contradicted yourself :lol:

Offline BourkieBoy

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #468 on: January 05, 2017, 06:03:34 PM »
You literally just named all recent teams and contradicted yourself :lol:

What I meant was, there are just so many teams from ancient seasons I would like to see, I can't name them all, so that's why I named recent teams.
Understand?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #469 on: January 05, 2017, 10:33:16 PM »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline BourkieBoy

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #470 on: January 06, 2017, 02:02:09 AM »

Offline ornaciawasrobbed

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #471 on: January 06, 2017, 02:42:26 AM »
I was arguing that you could bring back any team and ratings would be fine/good :lol: :tup:

Oh yeah, I know. I was just like "you right, you so right, and let me elaborate with a thesis on why you so right." Ma bad.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #472 on: January 17, 2017, 01:54:49 AM »
After TAR22, they changed the appearance of the Speed Bump sign, and I think I may have stumbled onto why...

Mona & Beth broke the old one. XD

When they rip off the clue envelope, they take a big chunk of the sign with it.
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #473 on: January 17, 2017, 10:36:38 AM »
After TAR22, they changed the appearance of the Speed Bump sign, and I think I may have stumbled onto why...

Mona & Beth broke the old one. XD

When they rip off the clue envelope, they take a big chunk of the sign with it.

*Tries to find the episode* XD

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #474 on: January 24, 2017, 04:02:50 AM »
I just noticed something else strange. In the TAR23 Gdansk leg, teams had to keep wearing their costumes after the Detour.

The clue says (and you can see this on-screen), "If you Posed, carry your trident with you and wear your beard. Remove your wig."

Yet, every team that continued with the 'Pose' costume did the opposite. They left their beards behind and kept wearing the wig.
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!