Author Topic: Previous TAR Seasons Discussions  (Read 392887 times)

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
Re: Previous TAR Seasons Discussions
« Reply #200 on: April 26, 2014, 05:55:58 PM »
Okay someone tell me I'm not insane because there are some TAR fans who are actually saying the early seasons are horrible garbage.  What!?
Now I know these aren't just people trolling, it's actual TAR fans who believe seasons like TAR3 and TAR5 suck compared to the likes of anything post-TAR12.  Is this part of the strange "casuals" mindset?  Or have I been totally wrong this whole time?

Please, someone tell me I'm not crazy in thinking this is the first time I've ever seen anyone think the early seasons were anything but good? ESPECIALLY compared to contemporary TAR?  :nut:  :crazy:

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #201 on: April 26, 2014, 06:09:53 PM »
You're not crazy, you're not wrong.  You're not the only one who loves those seasons and thinks that post-TAR 12 seasons can't stand comparisons against previous ones.
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #202 on: April 26, 2014, 06:17:19 PM »
Oh good, thank you.  I was starting to doubt my entire TAR-watching experience. 

Had David & Margaretta trekking down to the Fast Forward at Victoria Falls, Teri's pants falling down, Flo's basket meltdown, Charla getting electrocuted, Jon doing the final Road Block naked, the best, closest finish ever, Gretchen getting her head busted open, the Paolos putting on their underwear over their clothes and Mama Weaver getting run over by an Amish buggy all been a dream, I started to wonder.

:funny:

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #203 on: April 26, 2014, 09:23:37 PM »
Okay someone tell me I'm not insane because there are some TAR fans who are actually saying the early seasons are horrible garbage.  What!?
Now I know these aren't just people trolling, it's actual TAR fans who believe seasons like TAR3 and TAR5 suck compared to the likes of anything post-TAR12.  Is this part of the strange "casuals" mindset?  Or have I been totally wrong this whole time?

Please, someone tell me I'm not crazy in thinking this is the first time I've ever seen anyone think the early seasons were anything but good? ESPECIALLY compared to contemporary TAR?  :nut:  :crazy:
I believe a few of the frequent fans as I like to call them are referring to the pioneer seasons' TEAM DYNAMICS in general since the editing was awesome at delivering natural personalities, the sights were astounding, and the tasks were simplistic, but opened people's minds about worldwide cultures and ecotourism.

Remember, some frequent and bandwagon fans only watch TAR for the liking and bashing of teams, and they don't give a darn grain of sand for the tasks or sights they travel to. I know this because I have chatted to a couple of Chicago friends about TAR and all they only mention is this team there, this team that, zero mentions of the sights or tasks in the episode. :umn:
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #204 on: April 26, 2014, 09:58:23 PM »
Since we're talking about the earlier seasons, I would like to know what everyone else's favorite pioneer season is (from TAR1-TAR5). It's definitely how TAR got its name in the 1st place, pun intended.

I happened to thoroughly enjoy TAR5 because there were teams of different backgrounds ranging from the infamous Charla & Mirna to the broken ox classics of Colin & Christie. The route was absolutely exhilarating as it touched base on all six inhabited continents with tasks each holding a taste of their culture and adventure outings. Who could ever forget Karen rolling around in a Zorb and almost beating Colin scaling a Filipino cliff, Charla handling a giant chunk of rare beef and outsmarting her dwarfism, Bob & Joyce ziplining into a hotel pool and romantic caviar dinner, and visiting the ancient land of Egypt with the Pyramids of Giza and the Sphinx?

And also...

:partie: 1,000 post, 1-0-0-0, 1,000 post, 1-0-0-0
:partie: :conf: :ya3: :ya3: :ya3: :conf:
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #205 on: April 26, 2014, 11:42:54 PM »
Congrats on Post #1000  :conf:

For TAR1-5, my favorite has to be TAR3 with TAR5 being a very, very close 2nd.

Both seasons had an excellent mix of teams, both had awesome boot orders! (YES!) But I'd give the edge to TAR3 for more memorable moments, at least for me.  Things like:
-basket boats or basket bikes, or really EVERYTHING about the Vietnam Legs.
-Dieselgate
-"My pants are falling down!"
-Ken & Gerard almost getting run over by a train
-Heather's donkey faceplant
-the epic ditching by Ken & Gerard of the Wonder Twins-
everything Flo
-Teri & Ian<3
-Andre & Damon getting detained
-"Why did you have to take your pants off!?!"
-Teams running around, out of breath in the Alps
-Paper Underwear
-"What Happens If I Slip? Am I Just Hanging Off A Cliff?"
 :luvya: :luvya:

Online Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #206 on: April 29, 2014, 04:13:30 PM »
I liked all of the "pioneer" Race seasons, but the locations of TAR5 are just too amazing to forget. Charla and Mirna were great, especially compared to their nemeses, Colin and Christie. Chip and Kim and the Bowling Moms were funny, and though I disliked some teams, they weren't unbearable.

I liked most of the locations in all 5 seasons, with some of the most notable ones being Tunisia, Brazil, New Zealand, Switzerland, Italy, Egypt, and the Philippines. The Race needs to visit some of these locations more often/again, ESPECIALLY the Philippines (after the monsoon business clears up) and South Africa.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better; it's not" - The Lorax

Offline albegrato

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #207 on: May 03, 2014, 02:47:02 AM »
I always group the seasons like this: S1, S2-4, S5-9, S10-11, S12-17, S18 onwards. And my favorite period is S12-17. But to be honest, I have rewatched S5 the most because it's arguably the best season in the series. :hoot: It had a good storyline, good drama, great teams (both for being likeable and dislikeable), great tasks and locations (one of two seasons that visited the 6 continents). The only downside of it was the non-split of Roadblocks. But then again, I don't know how much better or how much worse it would have been had this rule been in place.  ???
I'm gonna fight 'em all
A seven nation army couldn't hold me back

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #208 on: May 03, 2014, 11:10:51 AM »
I always group the seasons like this: S1, S2-4, S5-9, S10-11, S12-17, S18 onwards. And my favorite period is S12-17. But to be honest, I have rewatched S5 the most because it's arguably the best season in the series. :hoot: It had a good storyline, good drama, great teams (both for being likeable and dislikeable), great tasks and locations (one of two seasons that visited the 6 continents). The only downside of it was the non-split of Roadblocks. But then again, I don't know how much better or how much worse it would have been had this rule been in place.  ???
Linda & Karen would have won TAR5 due to Kim, Christie, and Nicole always forcing Chip, Colin, and Brandon to do all the Roadblocks. The bowling moms had pretty much an even split of RBs throughout the race. :hearts:

I agree with S11-17 being the best era. Hands down the most advanced in editing, awesome designed tasks with much detail, and teams being memorable for one thing or another.

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #209 on: May 03, 2014, 10:16:39 PM »
Linda & Karen would have won TAR5 due to Kim, Christie, and Nicole always forcing Chip, Colin, and Brandon to do all the Roadblocks. The bowling moms had pretty much an even split of RBs throughout the race. :hearts:
OMG!!!! What could have been!  :hearts: :hearts:

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
« Reply #210 on: May 11, 2014, 06:34:35 PM »
:lol3:

Eh IDK I really liked TAR6. REBECCA <33333333333333333 GUS & HERA <333333333 KRIS & JON <333333333333333333 MEREDITH & MARIA <3333333333333333333333 DON AND MARY JEAN <33333333333333333333333 LENA & KRISTY <3333333333333333

Racer and I have a hypothesis that if Rebecca and Zach team up in TAR that they will be at the finish line by the time all the other teams have completed the first leg. :lol:

LOL Ikr

<3 TAR5/6/10 are my favourite seasons of all time <3 and TARAus2 <3

Offline airn10

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #211 on: May 11, 2014, 09:13:30 PM »

I agree with you 100%! I think the casting alone made these seasons worth watching over and over again!

I also put 9 and 7 in this category.

Offline SamualDude

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • YES.YES.YES
« Reply #212 on: May 11, 2014, 09:23:05 PM »

I agree with you 100%! I think the casting alone made these seasons worth watching over and over again!

I also put 9 and 7 in this category.

People don't like Season 7 or 9 for some reason, I really enjoyed both of them.
It's Clobbering Time!

Offline Vitoko

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • IQUIQUE - TAR23 LEG1
« Reply #213 on: May 15, 2014, 03:42:05 AM »
So for the past two weeks I've been watching older seasons just to have something else going in my second monitor while I'm working... since not so long ago I rewatched Season 1, I started with S2, S3, S4, S5...

2 and 3 are really enjoyable, Flo was really annoying to have in the background because she would just keep whinning, felt so bad for Zach... oh well... what can you do... the entire time I was wondering how the NOW standar rules would've affected those seasons...

4 was pretty forgetable, really unlikable cast at the end... felt so bad for Millie&Chuck, bullied by Reichen and/or Chip, Kelly&Jon... David&Jeff were nothing, not remarkable in any way... Steve&Dave, Monica&Sheree and Jon&Al were the only likeable teams... recently stumble across a reddit AMA thread made by Josh from Steve&Josh about his participation in the race, nobody seemed to care about the show, some people recognized him, and even ask him about some of the tasks... kind of interesting... especially how he lost total interest on the show after they got eliminated...

5 was really goooooooood, Chip&Kim might be the most fun, humble and positive winners so far, loved that thought/strategy of just letting Colin&Cristie selfdestruct instead of going against them, Kim could've done more than 1 roadblock though, it got kind of annyoing at the end were all the girls had just 1 RB... Charla&Mirna were just fantastic, I find myself rooting for them even though I already knew the results... and then you have Colin&Cristie, probably the most hateable guy I've seen in the race... I couldn't stop laughing when he almost got himself arrested, while being a douchbag to everyone, racers, locals, everyone around him... can't believe they asked them to comeback to All-Stars... more surprising when you realize they were still together at the time O.o

I'm starting with S5 and I'm already regretting this decision... Jonathan is making it so hard to watch... can't understand how can you stay with someone who treats you that way... it doesn't matter how stressful the race is...

Offline saacman

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #214 on: May 15, 2014, 03:02:15 PM »
Is there somewhere online to watch those early seasons?  I've been watching some previous seasons on Amazon Prime, but they don't go nearly that far back.

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #215 on: May 15, 2014, 03:05:57 PM »
Is there somewhere online to watch those early seasons?  I've been watching some previous seasons on Amazon Prime, but they don't go nearly that far back.

Try on YouTube, some time ago seasons were posted there, but uploaders channels were shut down. I don't how many of them still are there now but...
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #216 on: May 15, 2014, 03:30:25 PM »
So for the past two weeks I've been watching older seasons just to have something else going in my second monitor while I'm working... since not so long ago I rewatched Season 1, I started with S2, S3, S4, S5...

2 and 3 are really enjoyable, Flo was really annoying to have in the background because she would just keep whinning, felt so bad for Zach... oh well... what can you do... the entire time I was wondering how the NOW standar rules would've affected those seasons...

4 was pretty forgetable, really unlikable cast at the end... felt so bad for Millie&Chuck, bullied by Reichen and/or Chip, Kelly&Jon... David&Jeff were nothing, not remarkable in any way... Steve&Dave, Monica&Sheree and Jon&Al were the only likeable teams... recently stumble across a reddit AMA thread made by Josh from Steve&Josh about his participation in the race, nobody seemed to care about the show, some people recognized him, and even ask him about some of the tasks... kind of interesting... especially how he lost total interest on the show after they got eliminated...

5 was really goooooooood, Chip&Kim might be the most fun, humble and positive winners so far, loved that thought/strategy of just letting Colin&Cristie selfdestruct instead of going against them, Kim could've done more than 1 roadblock though, it got kind of annyoing at the end were all the girls had just 1 RB... Charla&Mirna were just fantastic, I find myself rooting for them even though I already knew the results... and then you have Colin&Cristie, probably the most hateable guy I've seen in the race... I couldn't stop laughing when he almost got himself arrested, while being a douchbag to everyone, racers, locals, everyone around him... can't believe they asked them to comeback to All-Stars... more surprising when you realize they were still together at the time O.o

I'm starting with S5 and I'm already regretting this decision... Jonathan is making it so hard to watch... can't understand how can you stay with someone who treats you that way... it doesn't matter how stressful the race is...

I never saw this, but I heard after that season Jonathan & Victoria went on Fear Factor and again got mouthy with Joe Rogan.

But I agree about Season 5, it's the season that really got me into Amazing Race (I've seen all prior seasons since then, though).

Offline RaceUntilWeDie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #217 on: May 19, 2014, 11:08:10 AM »
I've been thinking about the modern TAR (as far back as S20) and how it's severely been declining, and tbh it hit a new low in TAR 24.

Season 20 is probably one of my favorite seasons that I've ever watched. (I've been watching since only Season 17 :lol:  :-[ )  I think what really makes S20 a good season is the casting of older & more average people. A lot of the tasks were on point and so was the drama. I wish they would stop casting gimmicky type of teams and start casting more of these people from S20.

Season 21 started out really boring and the teams were eh. I think it hit its peak once it reached Europe and we saw the collapse of teams like James & Abba, Ryan & Abbie, and Natalie & Nadiya. I would have been fine with any of the Final 3 winning, though I was really rooting for the Chippendales. I loved the fact that the underdogs won this time around. And who can forget that awesome memory task that led teams into the night! That's how you know when you have a good task: teams spend hours on it.

Season 22 had a picturesque batch of locations. All of the teams were very likeable and the tasks worked out nicely. A little fun fact that I love: I believe SIX of the 12 legs involved self-driving!! :hrt: It also featured a night leg, something we don't see too often these days.

Season 23 I didn't really like. It had a terrible first leg, a pretty good second leg, okay third & fourth legs, REALLY liked the fifth leg, then I lost interest after that. What really turned me off from this season was the helping-each-other thing. Nicole was basically useless towards the end! I loved the Japan leg when Marie kicked ass and surpassed all three teams after arriving at the Roadblock last. Then... the finale sucked.

Season 24 I can't really comment on, I don't quite know why. I actually grew to like a lot of the teams in the start. The winners were really unlikeable in my book.. sorry. Once the amount of teams began to narrow down, I really started to wish that they saved ""All Stars"" for a later time. We could have had teams like Tim & Marie (I know they turned it down), James & Jaymes, Max & Katie, Bill & Cathi, and maybe even Pam & Winnie.

My ranking of my "Modern TAR"
1. TAR 20
2. TAR 22
3. TAR 21
4. TAR 23/TAR 24 (torn between)
5. TAR 23/TAR 24 (torn between)

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #218 on: May 20, 2014, 12:08:43 AM »
So I decided to randomly pop in my TAR10 DVD this evening and I watched Leg 5 (Vietnam > India) and OMG. It was amazing.  Half the episode was amazing airport drama, the rest was the dependable insanity of India. 

Man, TAR these days definitely does not measure up.

Offline SamualDude

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • YES.YES.YES
« Reply #219 on: May 20, 2014, 12:12:46 AM »
So I decided to randomly pop in my TAR10 DVD this evening and I watched Leg 5 (Vietnam > India) and OMG. It was amazing.  Half the episode was amazing airport drama, the rest was the dependable insanity of India. 

TAR10 had some amazing legs to be honest, I really enjoyed the second Vietnam leg, China was a very good leg because it was something we hadn't seen before in a first leg. Kuwait, Mauritius and Madagascar legs were great as well. Helsinki was alright and I liked the Ukraine leg, Shame that Ukraine won't appear again for a while.
It's Clobbering Time!

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #220 on: May 20, 2014, 06:10:42 PM »

Imagine if Vipul & Arti actually made it to Leg 5. :luvya:

Offline Vitoko

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • IQUIQUE - TAR23 LEG1
« Reply #221 on: May 20, 2014, 09:08:26 PM »
I'm still rewatching old seasons...

I decided to mix it up and rewatch TARLA 1... and surprisingly still holds up... Really fun to watch even knowing the outcomes, legs and everything...

And then I decided to watch Season 7, and you know what I just noticed, they reused one of the early locations for TARLA 1... Pizac's Marketplace in Peru, was used as a route marker in Leg 1 of Season 7, with a cluebox... and then in TARLA1 they reused it in Leg 6, they marked a store with the Blue/Black Flag so the owner would give away the next clue... I didn't notice that before so it made me smile :)

Offline albegrato

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #222 on: May 29, 2014, 01:09:14 AM »
I'm currently watching Season 1 and I've noticed something. Teams today are more naive on how teams should treat other teams. The other teams were decrying Joe & Bill for their dubious actions, but other than blocking the other teams at security to get on their flight, anything Joe & Bill did was fair game.

It got better as seasons went by but now it seems teams are devolving in terms of their competitveness; it's becoming petty. But I don't know, I'm probably still bitter from last season. I just wish last season never even happened.
I'm gonna fight 'em all
A seven nation army couldn't hold me back

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #223 on: June 03, 2014, 02:22:14 PM »
Continuing my TAR10 rewatch.  The Madagascar Leg was insane.  The mattress Detour was hilarious,  the eating FF was great because it didn't automatically give the teams the win, and the Marked for Elimination actually playing out at the end. Awesome episode and Leg.

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #224 on: June 03, 2014, 03:04:36 PM »
And, of course, the BQs beating the teams who went after the FF  :) .