Author Topic: Previous TAR Seasons Discussions  (Read 162476 times)

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
Re: Previous TAR Seasons Discussions
« Reply #725 on: January 13, 2019, 04:05:36 PM »
In Season 21, Episode 4, Abbie is very clearly giving Ryan verbal instructions during the Roadblock... it's rather jarring to watch considering they've given penalties for this in Season 27 and 30. Anyone care to rewatch? Did I misinterpret that part?

Are you referring to when Ryan is carrying the seats and Abbie says "You need to move them to the refurbishing area"?

It can be a bit of a fine line, but if you think about it there is always definitely a line that's been crossed. Non-participants in the past have always shouted out encouragement and suggestions to their partners, along the lines of "Maybe not so hard this time". Additionally, there have been many instances of the non-participant reading verbatim off of the clue because their partner doesn't have access to it or has their hands full. If it's just something written in the clue that they could have read anyway, there's no foul. Abbie was simply reiterating to Ryan what was written on the clue.

Denise was not reading from the clue. She specifically noticed that one (and only one) of James Earl's meat skewers was set up incorrectly and drew his attention specifically to that one. The clue did not say "Make sure the meat is set up such and such", it only said to match the given example. So, Denise was going beyond what was written in the clue for her help. Similarly, Cedric specifically pointed out the I's and O's during the Iceland Roadblock. The clue didn't mention anything about vowels, so Cedric was pointing him directly in the direction of what he had done wrong. Cedric later interviewed that he hadn't even noticed the vowels were incorrect and was just spouting advice, and that Shawn hadn't even heard him, but that was still a step too far when it comes to what sort of advice he was giving.

It's why Becca specifically mentioned that she "couldn't say anything" when Floyd dropped baskets during his Roadblock. Even saying "Make sure you have all of your baskets with you" might be construed as taking that one step too far over the line.
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #726 on: January 14, 2019, 09:37:45 PM »
I just recently watched TAR10 (which I really enjoyed!) but there were times where the non-participants helping out the person doing the Roadblock, like telling them how to do the task (and a little bit helping them too), more than just words of encouragement. Some examples were helping team members count money in the flower selling Roadblock in Vietnam, helping tell people where the puzzle pieces go in the Kuwait, telling where things are to break the limestone in Finland, and telling teammates how to make the meat in Morocco. I have not seen many early seasons, but were the rules less strict about helping out your partner in early seasons?

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #727 on: January 15, 2019, 01:01:49 AM »
I think it's also because James Earl's Roadblock and Shawn's Roadblock were PUZZLES. Denise and Cedric's help as akin to giving them the answer on a test. Ryan's and the TAR10 Limestone Roadblock were more about physical exertion and finesse. Making the meat is a bit iffy, I don't really remember that one, and I don't think producers cared about teams counting money in Vietnam because...teams count money all the time. It's a part of normal racing. It was still up to the participant to make the sale to the locals. It was testing their charisma.

As for the Kuwait one? I get the feeling they might not have intended the puzzle to be a part of the Roadblock. The RBK was more about climbing up the tower, and the puzzle was just something afterwards. That one's a bit of a weird case, I'll give you that.
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline claude_24hrs

• " I am Claude "
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Not interested with fantasy games
    • Facebook
« Reply #728 on: January 20, 2019, 03:19:30 AM »
Unless the swimming task in Mauritius for a ship may be counted as the Roadblock, or sans only team member could do the task. I have not watched any TAR reruns since TAR 30's end last February.