Author Topic: TAR 17 New Game Play Twist  (Read 37733 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR 17 New Game Play Twist
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2010, 09:22:20 PM »
Phil talks about the new game twist in this clip taken the night before the Emmy's at the The Reality Cares Achievement Awards! "Game changing!!"

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2010, 11:23:48 PM »
Only the first leg winner getting an express pass would be......... like almost similar to a Fast Forward? It's like once in every season and completely random? :lol:

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2010, 07:48:19 PM »
i love this twist hoever i think should give to everyteam

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2010, 11:00:55 PM »
I hope the Express Pass is not awarded to the first team to arrive... :(
Imagine Eric & Jeremy, BJ & Tyler, Meghan & Cheyne, Nick & Starr, and dun dun dun... Marc & Rovilson doing that. :groan:

HOWEVER, It doesn't hurt if it is indeed awarded to first team. They deserve it. :tup:
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2010, 10:32:20 PM »
First Look!! Our spoiler comes alive!! :jumpy:

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Vitoko

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • IQUIQUE - TAR23 LEG1
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2010, 10:49:33 PM »
I still don't understand this "Express Pass" it will be only delivered to the winner of the first leg? or in every leg?

Don't know why but I think that will allow to skip a task in a future leg... but what if the winner of the first leg make it all the way to the final 3 and decide to skip  the final roadbloack that will automaticaly made them the winner of the race and will be really unfair to the other teams if this theory its true...

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2010, 11:18:13 PM »
I still don't understand this "Express Pass" it will be only delivered to the winner of the first leg? or in every leg?

Don't know why but I think that will allow to skip a task in a future leg... but what if the winner of the first leg make it all the way to the final 3 and decide to skip  the final roadbloack that will automaticaly made them the winner of the race and will be really unfair to the other teams if this theory its true...

I feel pretty confident that it will be like the FF and the FF had to be used BEFORE the last leg........I doubt very seriously that the express pass will be valid on the final 3.
Matthew 7:15

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2010, 11:20:28 PM »
New promo featuring the Express pass in post 2 of the ep 1 thread!!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline TrueNorth

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2010, 11:29:09 AM »
I'm guessing it's a "fast forward" to be used during any leg up until the final 3.

It's a great idea and let's see if the team that gets it saves it for when they are in peril, or if they can't resist and use it too soon.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2010, 08:29:51 PM »
TVGuide.com: Speaking of new things, what can you tell us about the Express Pass?

Keoghan: Well, first of all, I think we've tried to always inject new things, but at the same time, we don't want to mess with something that's worked. Like I said, change is always good. It livens up the show and keeps everyone on their toes, especially for a show that's been on as long as ours. This is a tool that teams can use to help themselves stay in the race and it's something from the beginning that gives them an extra incentive to race really hard right out of the gate. It rewards the team that does well, but unlike the Fast Forward, its impact is not for one leg. It has an effect on the entire race.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Amazing-Race-Keoghan-1023630.aspx?rss=breakingnews
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #60 on: September 26, 2010, 07:37:19 PM »
The entire race, not just one leg? So you can, for example, skip a Roadblock EVERY leg? That might be a little extreme. :ascared
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #61 on: September 26, 2010, 07:37:54 PM »
The entire race, not just one leg? So you can, for example, skip a Roadblock EVERY leg? That might be a little extreme. :ascared

According to Wiki, only the first 8 legs.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Amazing_Race_17#cite_note-6

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2010, 07:38:23 PM »
Let's not get that far ahead, I think it only applies for standard rout infos if it works indeed for the whole race
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2010, 07:44:03 PM »
I think I just found our answer! :wohoo:

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/review/131418-the-amazing-race/

'The Amazing Race' Season 17 Premiere

By Chris Conaton 26 September 2010

Getting to Know Them

The Amazing Race returns Sunday, 26 September. Over the past 16 years, the show has tweaked details, but rarely strayed from the basic blueprint. At the opening of this edition, host Phil Keoghan introduces a new wrinkle to the game. This season, though he predictably oversells the new Express Pass, it does have the potential to help a team in trouble. The Pass can be used at any point during the first eight legs of the race to allow a team to skip a challenge and move on. Keoghan provides extra motivation to the 11 teams by offering the Pass as a reward to the winners of the first leg of the race.

And with that, the teams are off to make their way to Boston’s Logan Airport and fly to London. This time out, the groups include the usual assortment of family members, dating and married couples, and odd pairings. The most interesting team on paper may be Andie and Jenna, a mother-daughter team. Andie gave Jenna up for adoption as an infant and they’ve only recently been reunited. They’re using the race as a way to get to know each other and spend time together. Using a TV show to “get to know” someone sounds like a bad idea—and in The Amazing Race has led teams to implode after a few legs, but there’s always the chance this version will work out.

Most of the teams have little trouble getting to the airport. Ron and Tony, best friends from California, boast about their compass-reading skills, then use one to find their way to the airport. It seems a little premature to be relying on a compass to make the under-an-hour drive from Gloucester to the airport, but it tells us something about the team’s preparation and their inclination to brag about it. On the other hand, Connor and Jonathan, this season’s designated nerd team (they’re a cappella singers from Princeton), manage to get hopelessly lost.

Once the teams get to London, all of the hallmarks that make The Amazing Race so consistently entertaining show up. Some contestants show shocking ignorance. Vicki, who along with her partner Nick is worried the other teams will underestimate them because of their multiple tattoos, shows that she might have other things to worry about. “This is the first time I’ve ever even heard of Stonehedge, and then uh, I found out that it was a bunch of rocks!” she says incredulously. Another team wastes time attempting to retrieve a flag from the battlements of a castle because they think that the word “battlements” refers to a person.

In one incident during the season premiere, a team fails at driving a manual transmission, leaving their car stalled in the middle of a busy street. You’d think that with 16 seasons to watch, new team members would know to learn how to drive a stick shift before starting the race. But something like this happens every season. And what would an edition of The Amazing Race be without arrogance and a short-tempered alpha male? The arrogance this year comes courtesy of Thomas, who informs the camera during a confessional that he believes his Notre Dame education gives him a big advantage on the race.

Our short-tempered “villain” is Chad, who starts shouting and ranting almost as soon as the plane touches down in England and doesn’t let up for the rest of the episode. Unlike past female partners of Amazing Race alpha males, though, Chad’s teammate Stephanie isn’t about to be a doormat. She deals with him by staying calm and firmly telling him that his explosions of anger aren’t helping them at all.

Still, it’s pretty amusing to see the pair struggle mightily on a river crossing challenge that requires patience and balance. Forced to use tiny, precarious boats and an overhead rope, the teams all face a steep learning curve, repeatedly swamping their boats and having to start over. The episode’s other big challenge involves using a ballista to shoot watermelons at a suit of armor, attempting to knock it over. As far as challenges go, this one is pretty mundane except for the incident that CBS released on tape weeks ago to promote the show. Home shopping host Claire somehow manages to get her watermelon stuck in the oversized slingshot, so that instead of shooting outwards, it comes out in the opposite direction and slams into her face, exploding on impact. That she manages to finish the challenge despite being in obvious pain is impressive, but I would be surprised if the unnerving now doesn’t affect her team in future episodes.

The Amazing Race typically features interesting contestants from a variety of backgrounds and thrown into a high-pressure, high stakes race set in unfamiliar environments. This opening leg of Season 17 feels like a warm-up for difficulties to come. The British locals speak English and there are no devilish taxi drivers to deal with. But the extended, 90-minute episode contains the usual amount of air travel and challenges found in a normal 60-minute episode. The show uses the extra time to introduce the teams, giving the audience an opportunity to “get to know” most of them. As always, viewers are bound to pick favorites and antagonists, and so have reasons to watch again.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #64 on: September 27, 2010, 11:15:45 AM »
Okay when Phil meant impact not only for one leg.. maybe he meant the team may be in last and decides to use the Express Pass to skip a task and caught up some time ahead of another team and avoid elimination, task the impact is not for one leg but the entire race as race results was changed as the team could have been eliminated had not been for the Express Pass.

Had the Express Pass been given since season one, i think Debbie and Bianca, Rob and Amber and a few other teams would have loved it. :lol:

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #65 on: September 27, 2010, 06:27:04 PM »
Okay when Phil meant impact not only for one leg.. maybe he meant the team may be in last and decides to use the Express Pass to skip a task and caught up some time ahead of another team and avoid elimination, task the impact is not for one leg but the entire race as race results was changed as the team could have been eliminated had not been for the Express Pass.

Had the Express Pass been given since season one, i think Debbie and Bianca, Rob and Amber and a few other teams would have loved it. :lol:

Especially Debbie & Bianca -- or John Vito & Jill!

Belle Book

Offline gayron

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2010, 02:54:05 PM »
They need to get rid of the Uturn, just like they did with the Yield......they dont need teams hindering other teams in any way.....its a race....not Survivor.

It is a race!!! Racing against the time!!

Honestly, I like the idea of U-Turn. Amanda & Kris could have overcome the U-Turn if they haven't left the wood stack task in 1st place.

For Jen & Kisha, everyone know they could have overcome the U-Turn if Jen only decide to pee on herself.  :lol3:

You just need to be wise and strategic of how to overcome the U-Turn. It's not that impossible.

I too like the u-turn, but has anyone ever overcome it?

Offline Paron

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2010, 04:38:32 PM »
They need to get rid of the Uturn, just like they did with the Yield......they dont need teams hindering other teams in any way.....its a race....not Survivor.

Honestly, I like the idea of U-Turn. Amanda & Kris could have overcome the U-Turn if they haven't left the wood stack task in 1st place.

For Jen & Kisha, everyone know they could have overcome the U-Turn if Jen only decide to pee on herself.  :lol3:

You just need to be wise and strategic of how to overcome the U-Turn. It's not that impossible.

I too like the u-turn, but has anyone ever overcome it?
I think a team did in Israel's version, but that version's legs are long and spread out over two episodes, so that was easy enough for them.  And just recently, Dimple & Sunaina did on TARA4.

On this version, though?  No, not yet.

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2010, 06:13:49 PM »

I think Amanda & Kris had little chance to overcome their U-Turn, but I agree that Jen & Kisha had the opportunity to overcome theirs!  Still, I think it's much harder to overcome the U-Turn than it is to overcome the Yield (which proceeded the U-Turn).

Belle Book

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2010, 07:10:37 PM »
It depends on what you mean by "overcoming" the U-turn. Kisha and Jen finished the both detours BEFORE Jamie/Cara finished one detour. To me that means they overcame the U-turn. Further, Kisha/Jen arrived at the Roadbock before Jamie/Cara and left the Roadblock before Jamie/Cara. So again....they were ahead. Here is where it went bad for Kisha/Jen. They got a bad taxi driver. From post race interviews, he drove very slow and apparently wasnt really sure where to go. He dropped them off at the very far limit of the Olympic stadium park. They had to walk a long way. On the other hand, Jamie and Cara's taxi drove right to the right side of the park and the correct side of the Birds nest stadium. All the teams had a hard time finding the Pit Stop mat...If I remember correctly, J/C finished about 20 minutes before K/J and I really doubt that it took her that long to go to the bathroom in that Port-a- Potty.

So to me, they overcame the U-turn, but not the bad taxi driver. Many others have a different opinion, I am sure.

Offline Paron

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #70 on: October 28, 2010, 07:17:11 PM »
Except Phil told Jaime & Cara that Jen was in the bathroom while they were having their mat chat, so I think it was much less than twenty minutes.

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2010, 07:41:07 PM »
J/C finished about 20 minutes before K/J and I really doubt that it took her that long to go to the bathroom in that Port-a- Potty.

Girls can take pretty long ur know..

I think a team did in Israel's version, but that version's legs are long and spread out over two episodes, so that was easy enough for them.  And just recently, Dimple & Sunaina did on TARA4.

On this version, though?  No, not yet.

And don't forget Deepak & Naresh, China Rush, they actually finished HIGHER then the team that u-turned them, Karen & Lisa  :lol: :lol:

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #72 on: October 31, 2010, 03:05:25 PM »
Except Phil told Jaime & Cara that Jen was in the bathroom while they were having their mat chat, so I think it was much less than twenty minutes.

Paron, you are certainly able to believe who or what you want......especially what you see on an "edited" television program.

One of the reasons THIS site exists, is that most of us DON'T believe what WRP shows us on the show. We search for the truth.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #73 on: October 31, 2010, 03:11:06 PM »
J/C finished about 20 minutes before K/J and I really doubt that it took her that long to go to the bathroom in that Port-a- Potty.

Girls can take pretty long ur know..

You really don't know much about females and Port-a_Pottys.....

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #74 on: October 31, 2010, 03:24:01 PM »
So, going back to "New Game Play Twists"

do you think we'll get a reprise of those new twists like the Switchback or the double Roadblocks?
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move