Author Topic: Mactors/Recruited Teams  (Read 31430 times)

Offline kadilahopper

• RFF Jr. Member
Re: Mactors/Recruited Teams
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2010, 01:02:20 PM »
Budget aside, I believe the problem of casting lies in boredom.  I believe that Ms. Spillman is just plain old bored  with TAR and would rather have her department make a phone call or look through a portfolio than wade through thousands of videos.  And I also think that the producers are also bored and are ready to move on to greater things.  That boredom has been shouting loud and clear for the past many seasons.  Of course there are great episodes in each season, but on the whole TAR has become a rerun of has beens.  And as we already know, with the semi-celebs in 17, the trend continues.

Offline kadilahopper

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2010, 09:13:29 AM »
Wow, what a sourpuss I seem to be becoming.  My deepest apologies.  My frustration with TAR's casting is showing, huh?  But be that as it may, I will, of course continue to watch.  TAR pulled me out of an abyss in 2001.  I could never turn my back on it.  I shall strive to be more positive.  :<)

Offline Team Guido

• Amazing Racers
  • RFF VIP
  • RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2010, 06:22:15 PM »
Hey All~  Team G. here!  (aka Bill B.)
No one was recruited that I know of for TAR1.  Season one was early in the process of reality TV.  They had about 5 thousand tapes sent in. Ours was one of the first.  Guido making our tape was a stand out.  Lynn Spillman says so in her appearance on our Guido episode of Dogs 101, that is still running in rotation on the Animal Planet channel. 
Hope all is well out there with everyone....more race soon!
BB,JB & G
It’s never to early for a Chardonnay!

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2010, 06:25:13 PM »
Yay! And hello, nice to meet you Bill of my favorite team, team Guido! :hearts: :hearts:
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2010, 06:27:18 PM »
Thanks Bill!! :hearts:

Hugs and kisses to Joe and Guido!!

Gosh, the first season still stands out. Y'all were something special, especially not knowing what you were getting into!

So did most of you all see that ad? ???
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2010, 06:46:40 PM »
Thanks Bill and ditto what Peach said!!!
Matthew 7:15

Offline kadilahopper

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2010, 08:57:28 AM »
Hi Bill,

Thanks for posting.  I sure miss the "good old days" when unknowns were cast.  That's how we got to meet you and Joe.  You were both great,  I enjoyed your season very much.  How do you feel about all this recruiting and mactors?  It seems like TAR should be advertising that only "beautiful people need apply" now.  Or, "entertainment genre  only need apply".  Of course they throw in a few unknowns in each season now, but the trend is toward celebrityism.  What is your take?

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2010, 07:40:05 PM »
All very good posts on the Mactor issue. Not a fan, but as said way back, if the team brings a new audience and this audience sticks with the show, then it's ok. My problem as Peach mentioned is the stunt casting or recruiting those who have never seen the show. If a Mactor is a fan and been the show for a long period of time, then fine, but not a team recruited out of a bar that is not familiar with TAR.
Just here to visit.

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2010, 08:20:25 PM »
All very good posts on the Mactor issue. Not a fan, but as said way back, if the team brings a new audience and this audience sticks with the show, then it's ok. My problem as Peach mentioned is the stunt casting or recruiting those who have never seen the show. If a Mactor is a fan and been the show for a long period of time, then fine, but not a team recruited out of a bar that is not familiar with TAR.

I agree with TARAsia Fan. I didn't mind Brain & Erica and the Globetrotters... what I don't like is a whiny team like Natalie & Pailin, a "I didn't sign up for this" Mika and teams that are totally incompetent and benefited from one non-e and one screw up Maria & Tiff....

Offline Pedaler

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2010, 10:19:10 PM »
I have to admit that I am very fickle in this area.  If I like the team, then I'm all for mactors and recruited teams.  If I don't, then mactors and recruited teams suck.  :meow:

And no, I can't figure out and don't want to figure out, why I like some teams and not others.  :umn:

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2010, 01:17:26 PM »
If you hate mactors and recruited teams, a celebrity edition would be your worst nightmare. I hate to disagree with Phil, but I only see the potential for disaster...

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2010/08/25/the-amazing-race-time-for-a-celebrity-edition/
The Amazing Race - Time For A Celebrity Edition?
by Lynette Rice
The Apprentice has made a franchise out of featuring (C-level) celebrities, so why can’t The Amazing Race?  Host Phil Keoghan certainly sees a potential.

“I would love to have a celebrity version,” Keoghan told EW. “If every celebrity who has told me they liked the show signed up and was a part of it, that would be huge. I know Sarah Jessica Parker is a big fan of the show, and I heard Drew Barrymore likes the show, and Neil Patrick Harris likes the show. I just don’t know if they realize what [in store]. That would be the thing, whether they could cope. I don’t know, it would be fun.”

Keoghan says there have been talks about featuring a Hollywood edition but the realities of celebrity life make the possibility daunting. Though the show has hosted someone from Tinseltown before – actor-screenwriter-director Mike White (School of Rock) participated last year – its a far different situation when it involves busy actors. “The question that always comes up is would we be able to get them out of their schedule,” explains Keoghan. “They say they want to do it, but the reality is would their schedule allow for it, and would they really be able to put up with the schedule itself. It’s very different than anything else that’s shot, like a movie set. We sort of have to adhere to the rules of the world as opposed to creating our own rules on a set or in a studio. We are beholden to what happens in the real world. That makes it really tough.”

Season 17 of The Amazing Race kicks off Sept. 26. The seven-time Emmy winner will once again vie for the Outstanding Reality prize at this Sunday’s ceremony on NBC. – With reporting from Nicholas White
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2010, 03:41:53 PM »
UGH. If a celebrity wants to apply like Mike did...fine. A WHOLE edition of celebs would spell the end of TAR, for sure, IMO.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Sandra1991

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2010, 03:49:58 PM »
I don't want a celebrity version of TAR! Here in Portugal we had some reality shows with celebrities (none like TAR, but still) and it was a disaster IMO. It just wasn't "natural". Celebrities always have "priviledges" (like on the celebrity edition of Big Brother one singer got to call her grown up son everyday) and I don't want to see that kind of things on TAR...

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2010, 06:11:40 PM »
As long as Celebrities include Charla and Mirna, Rob and Russell, Dustin and Kandice, and Omarosa (LOL, Reality-Show-contestants-turned-celebs) is there! :lol: :hearts: Kidding (but actually, I'm not. :lol: )
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2010, 07:24:53 PM »
No. Just no. Sorry, Phil, try again. Let's be more in-tune with what the avid fans want next time. :groan:
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2010, 09:26:18 PM »
I would agree to a 3-leg celeb race for charity but that's about it
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #66 on: August 26, 2010, 09:16:15 AM »
I wouldn't hate a celeb edition, but only if the chosen racers were actually fans of the show, like SJP.

Offline Competitor

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2010, 12:16:23 PM »
I might be biased, but doesn't it always seem that a celebrity edition of a reality show is the nail in the coffin for said show? IMO, a celebrity edition would not be a good sign for the future of TAR.

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2010, 03:46:19 PM »
Have the producers become completely out of touch, or is this meddling from CBS?
Either way, if a celebrity edition comes to fruition, the show is screwed.

Offline Competitor

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2010, 04:20:44 PM »
Have the producers become completely out of touch, or is this meddling from CBS?
Either way, if a celebrity edition comes to fruition, the show is screwed.

There is no telling. I imagine that those who created and run the show desire it to be as pure and "true to self" as possible, but they are always constrained by budget and what CBS wants. If CBS called down to the TAR people and said that they wanted a celebrity edition, then I imagine that the TAR people really couldn't object. CBS writes the checks. They get what they want.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2010, 06:27:18 PM »
Phil commenting on all the celebrities wanting to be on TAR does NOT a celebrity edition make....
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Sandra1991

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #71 on: August 26, 2010, 06:34:42 PM »
Phil commenting on all the celebrities wanting to be on TAR does NOT a celebrity edition make....

Let's hope so!

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #72 on: August 26, 2010, 09:51:31 PM »
I quite like Celebrity Edition, but there are many pros and cons. It's too risky. I'd rather prefer an international TAR or a Reality-Stars TAR.

oops, getting off-topic!

Offline banredbeans

• Amazing Racer
  • RFF VIP
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #73 on: August 27, 2010, 09:08:18 AM »
I love the idea of a celebrity version.  As long as they have teams like Sarah Jessica Parker and Mathew Brodrick as a couple I would be fine. She has been such a fan of the show.  I think Neil Patrick also has been a fan so it would be great to see him too.

I just want TAR to keep going and this might bring more fans to the show.

Offline Paron

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #74 on: August 27, 2010, 08:46:30 PM »
It wasn't the death knell for The Apprentice.  In fact, quite the opposite.  It breathed new life into that show, for sure, and even got it a new season with real people.

I wouldn't mind a celebrity edition since Phil's right -- lots of celebrities do dream of going on the show.  But yes, I agree with only picking celebrities who are fans.