Author Topic: Mactors/Recruited Teams  (Read 31571 times)

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Mactors/Recruited Teams
« Reply #75 on: August 28, 2010, 01:05:00 AM »
I just can't imagine "celebrities" getting down and dirty by and large for the long haul on TAR.  Just picture Sarah Jessica Parker in one of the trains in India where people are all crapped in and hanging out the open sides and having her ass getting pinched.

Many of us already think often times the cast is treated to a few more luxuries then early seasons, I can only imagine how soft it would be a for a celebrity version.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #76 on: August 29, 2010, 12:36:11 PM »
And a celebrity edition with paparazzi following the actors would not work. Unless you used a whole cast of Reality TV celebrities (excepting Kate Gosselin), an entire cast of actors should not be in the cards.
Just here to visit.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #77 on: August 29, 2010, 01:06:08 PM »
an entire cast of actors should not be in the cards.

What Ken says.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline mandk

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #78 on: September 04, 2010, 08:44:36 AM »
if I may share an opinion (not sure if anyone has said this before) TAR will be renewed if they get a high amount of viewers and bringing in Kevjumba, Miss Kentucky and other TV personnels could help attract their fans to watch the show, so im really happy about this because it could be good for TAR and it could help the show go for more seasons  ;)

Offline kadilahopper

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #79 on: September 04, 2010, 08:59:17 AM »
The viewing audience might increase for the short term, but take BB team last season.  The viewing audience increased, but when they were eliminated the audience decreased dramatically.  Add on to this the disillusionment of the TAR base for all the recruiting and mactors and it is a lose, lose situation.  We will have to watch the ratings to see how this all plays out. 

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #80 on: September 05, 2010, 07:40:36 PM »
The viewing audience might increase for the short term, but take BB team last season.  The viewing audience increased, but when they were eliminated the audience decreased dramatically.  Add on to this the disillusionment of the TAR base for all the recruiting and mactors and it is a lose, lose situation.  We will have to watch the ratings to see how this all plays out. 
Actually that isn't accurate.

There are two legitimate ways of looking at it.  1.  Ratings decreased right after they left, or the average ratings of the shows with them were higher then the average ratings when they were eliminated.

The first situation.  The episode they got eliminated had a total audience of 11.987 million viewers and a 3.8 in the coveted adults 18-49. 

The next episode the show's audience was 12.729 million viewers and a 3.9 in adults 18-49 (season highs in both viewers and adults 18-49). 

So clearly that the first didn't happen.

The 2nd possibility.

The average rating of the episodes with Jeff & Jordan were 9.736 million viewers and a 3.05 in adults 18-49.

The average after they were eliminated 10.874 million viewers and a 3.2 in adults 18-49.

So they in both measures the show actually showed improvements after Jeff & Jordan were no longer part of the cast.

Now to be far the show had three sports overruns (which greatly increase teh shows ratings (3 highest performers of the season including the episode they got eliminated and the episode after they got eliminated), TAR also aired 2 Specials (what networks will label shows so they don't get counted as part of the official season, this is down occasionally when they know shows will have terrible ratings (for example against the Oscars). 

Even removing the 3 artificial highs (1 before they are eliminated, and two after they are eliminated) and the 2 artificial lows (one before they are eliminated, one after they are eliminated) the averages come out to be:

Average with Jordan & Jeff 9.58 million viewers and a 2.98 in adults 18-49.

Average after Jordan & Jeff 10.505 million viewers and a 3.03 in adults 18-49.

So strictly off of ratings the evidence suggest that not only did Jeff & Jordan not help the ratings, its possible that they might have hurt the ratings.

Offline kadilahopper

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #81 on: September 06, 2010, 09:15:03 AM »
       :bow:I bow to your wisdom, Ms.  :jam:.  I had read different numbers on the facebook, Amazing Race page postings.  BTW, what website do you get your numbers from, so that I may be enlightened before I post? . :knuckles:

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #82 on: September 06, 2010, 08:25:30 PM »
I get my primary data from three main sources.  pifeedback.com (which posts overnights, fast nationals, and final numbers), tvbythenumbers which does fast nationals as well as various press releases, dvr results, and posts duplicates of pifeedbacks final numbers., then sitsomsonline also provides final numbers. 

Those three sources between them can get you data on all episodes back to the 2nd week of Season 10.  And all are currently accessible. 

Previous to that Marc Berman (who runs pifeedback's ratings site) also posts a daily column for media week.  Previously a database was online that allowed you to look at past years data (it is no longer available).  I managed to go through his full database before it was taken down (this had primarily Fast Nationals, but also some final numbers), and this provided numbers back to through most of season 5.

Episodes and years before that I went to hard copy going to the Los Angeles Times and looking through microfilm to get final numbers for all but two episodes of that TAR has.  One I found from a magazine (but have not been able to confirm the number with another source, so I am leery of taking it as fact (its the opening episode of season 1), so much of the nations media was taken over by 9/11 that media reporting took a backseat.

Not being a facebook person I don't know what page the database on facebook is (I would love to see it).  As for being able to find all the data on one place, well sorry but their currently isn't one. 

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,15505.0.html

This has most of the data I have on the first 12 seasons.  And we have threads for ratings on the other seasons, but they are put together into a chart, just weekly postings based on the ratings as they come in.  I would have updated the ratings archive, but I forgot how to post images to the thread.  As I do have all the data saved and put together.

I think I will ask Peach how to post again and make the update the archive with the last three seasons.

pifeedback in addition to daily forums, have forums for many shows, including TAR and they do have for the last few seasons a ratings database.  For the last year that data was taken (kind of surprisingly) from what is posted a sitcomsonline (as their viewer data is to decimal places and they are the only online source to post the adults 25-54 demo.  The finals posted on their nightly forums at pifeedback goes to three decimal points.

One thing to remember is just looking at numbers really doesn't tell you a lot.  You need to know what the competition is, what your lead in (as that also is a tremendous influence on what type of ratings you will get), and even what your lead out is (also influences just not as much).

Some examples.  When Fox gets the overrun for football, it means most of the males viewing tv that night are going to be watching Fox.  Are ratings should take a hit.  With 60 minutes as are lead in we are getting the oldest audience in television as our lead in, we don't have a large overlap in viewers.  But when football overruns during the Fall (and to a lesser degree Basketball during the Spring) 60 minutes numbers get a huge, huge lift (more then doubling their audience in adults 18-49, the only real number studios really care about) this means TAR has a much larger audience of younger adults that will watch.  We get a huge push from those nights.  And this last spring we saw better numbers in the last half hour then the first (which is actually a little unusual for us), this can be placed on the incredible (and baffling) performance of Undercover Boss (which also has a much larger younger audience then any show that has followed us since we moved to Sunday.

It's very easy to just look at the numbers of our show and try and find some internal reasons for the weekly changes.  But usually (though not always) you can look at external forces and they cause much larger week to week changes.

Offline kadilahopper

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #83 on: September 07, 2010, 09:09:50 AM »
Wow! Ms.  So much information, so little time  :umn:  I am having a brain freeze!  Are you retired and have time to do all this research stuff or are you just miles above us mere mortals in the intelligence department?   :colors.  I am impressed!!!!!!  I have not checked for the facebook info yet, but I believe the poster was just posting the Nielsen ratings from one week to another and the drop was dramatic.  Of course, he could have been whistling Dixie.  He has nothing on your scope of ratings. :wohoo:  It will suffice  that I believe your analysis without trying to decipher its maze.   :umn:

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 07, 2010, 10:16:11 PM »
Mactor's bring the entertainment.

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #85 on: September 07, 2010, 10:48:51 PM »
So Say's the King!

Honestly there are many "Mactors' I like.  I think some seasons just have to many of them.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #86 on: September 09, 2010, 04:05:49 PM »
So Say's the King!

Honestly there are many "Mactors' I like.  I think some seasons just have to many of them.

I could give a rats anatomy about what a racer's job, occupation, profession is. What I want to see is racers that want to enter a 21/22 day race around the world, that just happens to be filmed. What I don't want to see is racers that want to be filmed for 21/21 days, while racing around the world.
Matthew 7:15

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #87 on: September 09, 2010, 04:19:52 PM »
So Say's the King!

Honestly there are many "Mactors' I like.  I think some seasons just have to many of them.

I could give a rat's anatomy about what a racer's job, occupation, profession is. What I want to see are racers that want to enter a 21/22 day race around the world, that just happens to be filmed. What I don't want to see are racers that want to be filmed for 21/21 days, while racing around the world.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 08:04:28 AM by DrRox »
Matthew 7:15

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #88 on: September 10, 2010, 06:56:15 AM »
So Say's the King!

I could give a rats anatomy about what a racer's job, occupation, profession is. What I want to see is racers that want to enter a 21/22 day race around the world, that just happens to be filmed. What I don't want to see is racers that want to be filmed for 21/21 days, while racing around the world.

AMEN!! :yess: And worth repeating! :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline kadilahopper

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #89 on: September 11, 2010, 09:49:13 AM »
That was eloquently put, Dr.  You put in one sentence what I have been harping about for years.  TAR is supposed to be a race, yet for the past few years it has become a publicity relaunching for a very select clique.  Half racers, half fakers.  Enough already.