Author Topic: Emmy Nominations  (Read 22882 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: Emmy Nominations
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2010, 11:44:55 PM »
 :-[

/soapbox

It is just because I love it so.... 
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2010, 02:44:40 AM »
I am not a happy camper.

All the uncertain about TAR 18 for the spring (or not) didn't help my mood any over this news.  I'm not going to say anything further......
-- theschnauzers

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2010, 04:21:03 AM »
As one of the few around RFF who consistently watches Top Chef and pretty much is one of few contributors to writing a thread about it, I can say that it is a classy show and the only reality show deserving of in the same league as THE AMAZING RACE. Instead of all this moaning about TAR losing for the first time in 8 years, perhaps a better was to look at it is that both deserved to win and Top Chef, steadily improving through its 7 seasons, did.  TAR must get continuously better to continue deserving the Reality Show Competition Emmy.

Offline jerseydude

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • It’s Friday, Friday Gotta get down on Friday
« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2010, 06:08:29 AM »
I just have to agree with apskip. I really love the Amazing Race but Top Chef is not a bad show. Especially Top Chef Season 6 ( I think this was the one considered for the Emmy) was a really intense season with 3 capable people in the finale. So I do think that Top Chef did deserve this Emmy.

And I think immabe does have a point. By losing this Emmy, the producers of TAR will really start thinking what went wrong and then start improving, making TAR better than it is now. This is only 1 small failure for TAR and hopefully they will do much better next year.  :hearts:
The Amazing Race TV Stars- Marc and Rovilson (Currently 1st)
Victor\'s Amazing Race- Mooyou and Jerseydude (Currently 5th)
RFF Amazing Race Season 2- Redskevin88 & Jerseydude (Eliminated 4th)
Mooyou\'s Amazing Race- Tammy and Victor (Finished 2nd Place )

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2010, 09:29:51 AM »
Awwwwwwwwww. Phil got all dressed up!

"I meant to dress up so I got this Paul Smith suit. Look at this lining in here...  fancy right? Metro-sexual," said Phil Keoghan, host of "The Amazing Race."

"I wasn't even this dressed up for my own wedding." Keoghan added.

You can see him in the video here:

http://www.cbs2.com/video/?id=141780@kcbs.dayport.com
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline kadilahopper

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2010, 11:00:43 AM »
As much as I love TAR, I was not surprised that it did not win this year for outstanding reality show.  I was more surprised that it had won the previous two years for this same category.  I watch Top Chef, Survivor, and Project Runway, and this year all three were better than TAR.  And TAR is my favorite!  But that being said, I am not blind to the changes TAR has made in its casting trend.  I don't care what kind of scenery, off the wall tasks, or u-turns or roadblocks that you can come up with, if the cast is not "interesting" and you can't relate to them from your own life then the show is a complete bust.  IMO, CBS execs who control TAR don't have the sense God gave a billy goat. Enough said!

Offline Carter

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2010, 11:48:32 AM »
The episode submitted was born to be an Emmy nominated episode.

What?  :ascared

I have to say it was the worst episode. Too gimmicky and out of place. I'm really happy that TAR didn't win any award this time. This is positive, and perhaps a wakeup-call to go back to the good stuff again.

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2010, 02:04:01 PM »
I wasn't really surprised by the loss.

When Zach from TAR3, who works in the TV industry and has won some Emmys himself, calls episode 5 of TAR16, "One of the weakest episodes we've seen in several seasons," that "This one is not memorable at all," and "It will go down in history as being one of the worst episodes," there's going to be trouble.

I'm just glad that the season responsible for losing the Emmy is one of my all-time least favorites.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2010, 02:21:44 PM »

I have to say it was the worst episode. Too gimmicky and out of place. I'm really happy that TAR didn't win any award this time. This is positive, and perhaps a wakeup-call to go back to the good stuff again.

:welcome: to RFF, Rotten!

It was birthed by CBS to be an Emmy nom episode, is what I meant. You can tell by the visuals, and the sheer $$$ investment in this ep as compared to others.

As a fan, of course I appreciated that the episode lost something in terms of  the race. It was entirely too linear, there was no chance for anyone to really change positions, the UTurn was flawed, and there was no room to recover from it. But I can also appreciate the cinematic scope of this as well.

Losing an Enmmy is never "positive" though. I would hope that yes, TPTB would take heed of some of the concerns that have been raised by even the most die-hard fans. But there is just as much chance that they can just shrug, cut the budget even more, and let TAR fend for itself.

I'd love to read what Zach said, slayton, is it available somewhere?

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2010, 04:11:16 PM »
Check your PM, georgiapeach.

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2010, 05:11:00 PM »

It was birthed by CBS to be an Emmy nom episode, is what I meant. You can tell by the visuals, and the sheer $$$ investment in this ep as compared to others.

As a fan, of course I appreciated that the episode lost something in terms of  the race. It was entirely too linear, there was no chance for anyone to really change positions, the UTurn was flawed, and there was no room to recover from it. But I can also appreciate the cinematic scope of this as well.

Losing an Enmmy is never "positive" though. I would hope that yes, TPTB would take heed of some of the concerns that have been raised by even the most die-hard fans. But there is just as much chance that they can just shrug, cut the budget even more, and let TAR fend for itself.

Are visuals that important? I would think leg design trumps all, which TAR 16 Leg 5 lacked.
I still hold that TAR 16 Leg 7 should have been nominated. A beautiful destination, some fascinating tasks, helicopter/boat rides.

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2010, 05:36:03 PM »

Are visuals that important? I would think leg design trumps all, which TAR 16 Leg 5 lacked.
I still hold that TAR 16 Leg 7 should have been nominated. A beautiful destination, some fascinating tasks, helicopter/boat rides.

Reality-Competition shows do not have the same format of course. American Idol doesn't have any Roadblocks. So I guess, visuals are really important. But I'm not saying they are the basis: I agree that the design of how the show should make its impact to the viewers is also important.
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline The Queen V

• RFF Jr. Member
  • Here comes the queen!
« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2010, 11:33:39 PM »
what most people are probably annoyed of is that the last two seasons didn't focus more on how "magical" the race should be. like, why in the world go to sweden to ride amusement park rides? why in the world go to dubai and slide down a water slide? those things we can do in a closer proximity to our homes. what tar must now focus on is to bring culture back, which was lost since then.

if they really wanted an emmy win, they should have submitted the japan leg of s15 and extended the whole thing to a single leg. considering they had a two hour premiere.

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2010, 07:50:07 AM »
Top Chef is classy? :lol:   /sourgrapes

TAR has hit a little speedbump. I do think that the prevailing winds of "time to give someone else a chance" played a large role in tonight's upset. The episode submitted was born to be an Emmy nominated episode.

But hopefully eyes will be opened by this...and perhaps TPTB will pay attention to some of the many wonderful suggestions in the "why TAR has lost it's Magic" thread.

We want fabulous spectacular locations, and lots of them.

We want heartstoppingly beautiful visuals.

We want interesting and challenging tasks.

And most of all, we want real people who are dying to be on the show, people who spend weeks and weeks polishing a 3 minute video, people who apply and aren't recruited in an LA bar.

We want people we can bond with, relate to, laugh with (and occasionally at), and cry with when they go too soon.

People who love and appreciate the game... not the notch on their resume.

TAR is a brilliant special wonderful show that has been the source of hours and hours of pleasure and thought provoking moments for all of us here.

I continue to have faith in TAR, and the people who produce it. TAR is more than a statue on the mantle, and the ratings speak for themselves.

TAR IS magic, even if the magic needs a seven year polish.

And anyway, all the BEST winning streaks come in groups of seven...so here is to the next seven!!  :wine:

Oh, I absolutely agree. Hear, hear!

And I have to say that, just like Caelestor, I was kind of expecting it. I am anxious to see what will happen in the next year for TAR. I think there is a good chance of it improving (at least TAR 18. 17 doesn't have much time left for improvements).
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline kadilahopper

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2010, 05:05:29 PM »
We already know that 17 is jam packed with semi-celebs again.  Unless TAR has pulled a rabbit out of its buhunkous and has created some really outstanding tasks in some really outstanding locales, which I hope it has, then we are in for another ho hum season. Alot of "primping" in front of the camera by the semi-celebs. This WILL NOT win an Emmy.  And if 18 ends up being "a celebrity" edition, then I doubt very seriously if that will win an Emmy.  Of course I could be wrong and I probably am.  Tinsel town folks seem to believe that they are what we should emulate.  They stick together in their own little clique and do favors for their own.  Hence the decrease in the "average Joes".  If TAR continues down this road to ruin, there will be no more Emmys and will be regulated to the TV land channel of reruns.

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2010, 07:39:21 AM »
^^^^^^^^^^^
buhunkous?
Is that a house where rabbits live?
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline kadilahopper

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #66 on: September 01, 2010, 09:03:30 AM »
Pneu, It means "rear end".  A word I made up.  I have my own vocabulary and euphemisms to describe what I am trying to say.  For example:  "It's cold enough to freeze a polar baar" (It's pretty darn cold). or "It's hotter than a cat's tail in heat". (It's pretty darn hot).  My sons'  favorite sentence to describe me is, "Mom, you're not normal".  It's an affectionate term, you know! :<).  I know Peach, I know.  I am off topic, soooooooooo ----TAR needs to get its buhunkous in gear and give us an Emmy winning season for 17.   I've got my legs crossed for protection, just in case they don't.