Author Topic: Emmy Nominations  (Read 22868 times)

Offline docol

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Can't wait 4 "The Amazing Race" 35...!!!!!!!!
Re: Emmy Nominations
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2010, 06:01:20 PM »
The Amazing Race and Phil win win EVERYTHING..both deserve it.!! TAR is the best reality show ever....!  :jam:
"" JUSTICE 4 DUSTIN&KANDICE: PUT THEM ON THE AMAZING RACE LEGENDS SEASON ""

Offline Mister RC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Nothing is more valid than my avatar. JMO
    • Follow Me Please!
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2010, 12:20:15 PM »
Well, Phil can't win the host one, as that was decided last weekend.  But he'll be apart of the overall celebrations when TAR wins tonight!

Well, it's the night the AR fans have been waiting for on an annual basis!  The night where the streak and fate of TAR is on the line, natually.  I’m pretty much in agreement with some of the people that are critical to the selections of the Emmy finalists.  It’s pretty much the same finalists and same eventual winner year in and year out.  While one could defend the fact that the selections deserve to be there, it doesn’t take a genius to realize that there were several negative points in some of those shows.

This may sound stupid, but I think TAR needs to lose in order to win in the long run.  What I mean is that there hasn’t been a lot of effort put into the show over the past few seasons.  However, if TAR keeps winning, no one is going to change anything because they’re doing something right.  OTOH, with a loss, it might be a sign for the producers to restart and put a spark back into the show to best bring TAR back to its glory days.

I think what was disappointing (for me) was the fact that Probst went back-to-back-to-back as host in a show that wasn’t even nominated for best reality show (and hasn’t since 2007).  I don’t even hate Jeff, but it’s baffling because his show totally deserved to get nominated this year.  I don’t think it would’ve won over TAR (easily), but it totally dominated over American Idol, which was a complete nightmare.  On the other end, Seacrest totally deserved the host Emmy over Probst, who some have argued that some of his questions/comments (like how the jury got it wrong with Natalie vs. Russell) were very critical.  Seacrest is so outgoing and neutral.  IMO, in the end, the Emmy team got it reversed between Idol and Survivor.  But to a point; can't argue, as mentioned, that Jeff earned it.  If you go by personality more than actions, Ryan wins.  If it by actions, while Ryan doesn't a lot more than Phil, it pales in comparison to Jeff.

Point is that while TAR deserves the Emmy for best show, it doesn’t for host.  Phil is awesome and full of class, but the show isn’t built for him to be able to do too much more than checking in and giving instructions for Route Info and the other tasks.  And it sucks because it would change the show more than it’s been changed already!  OTOH, as for the show itself, no doubt about it that it should win.

Either way, I won’t be surprised.  If TAR wins, I’ll be happy of course, but I won’t be as excited and full of joy like I was during the first few years of its winning streak.  OTOH, if it loses, then whatever!  Maybe because the show has lost its magic it was destined to happen.
Every reality star is someone's favorite

Winning isn't everything, but it isn't considered nothing either. Otherwise, there wouldn't be a tribal council, a pit-stop, a boardroom, dimming of the lights, and so on

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2010, 12:43:51 PM »

Well, it's the night the AR fans have been waiting for on an annual basis!  The night where the streak and fate of TAR is on the line, natually.  I’m pretty much in agreement with some of the people that are critical to the selections of the Emmy finalists.  It’s pretty much the same finalists and same eventual winner year in and year out.  While one could defend the fact that the selections deserve to be there, it doesn’t take a genius to realize that there were several negative points in some of those shows.

This may sound stupid, but I think TAR needs to lose in order to win in the long run.  What I mean is that there hasn’t been a lot of effort put into the show over the past few seasons.  However, if TAR keeps winning, no one is going to change anything because they’re doing something right.  OTOH, with a loss, it might be a sign for the producers to restart and put a spark back into the show to best bring TAR back to its glory days.

I have to disagree I think you can look at a few episodes in the last couple seasons as being specifically designed to push TAR over the top.

Look at season 14's opener (Don't let a cheese hit me) and the season 16's World War I themed episode, and those two are some of the best produced episodes the show has ever done.  Meaning all the behind the scenes work. 

As long as the non fiction/ reality categories let you submit just one episode the Emmy's aren't going to be a major factor in how TAR is produced (besides perhaps making sure once a cycle or once a year a great episode gets produced).

If anything its the viewers which are going to be the deciding factor, and unfortunately for those who feel TAR is losing its touch its ratings are better today then when the show started.  Really since moving to Sundays TAR is doing in general better then all but seasons 6 and 7.

In fact I actually expect TAR's ratings to improve this year as well (unless the Under cover Boss final loses its appeal, which I never got in the first place).

As to survivor not getting a nom I was a little surprised but not much.  While Survivor is also produced well, it is often seen as a very negative show.  And unlike some shows that show negative aspects of humanity to show what we should change about ourselves, it seems to and especially this last year thrive in showcasing the negative aspects of humanity without showing much negativity about it.  There are many members of the television community that would never honor a show that does so.  In fact, since I started following survivor about season 8 (and managed to catch up with all of them) this last year was the only new seasons that I refused to watch the show live, as I was disgusted by what I had seen and read in recaps of Russell (and others but he seemed the ring leader).  I found it vile.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2010, 04:57:51 PM »
The one factor that seems to work in TAR's favor year-after-year is the production logistics; the only other shows that have had similar challenges (The Mole and Road Rules) are no longer on the air and in a way, that just reinforces how much of a challenge TAR is to produce. Couple that with the fact that the show does get nominated in every other technical category available to it, and that underscores the fact that TAR faces its challenges well. While some of the other nominees have live shows, which does offer a technical challenge of sorts, those do take place in a controlled studio environment, which is not the case with TAR.

As to Survivor not getting nominated, they've gotten lazy with the casting and the game. Casting Russell for both seasons this past year (along with a rumored returned in the spring) is a symptom of Survivor's problems -- it's starting to look like an expensive clone of The Road Rules-Real World challenges, where many of the same people keep showing up season after season. If TAR does do a second All Star edition (after seeing how disappointing the first attempt was for many viewers and fans), it'll be tempting the fates that it'll be cursed in the same way. Bertram doesn't want to do any more All Star editions for essentially that very reasons, and I hopw to high heavens that CBS listens to that advice.
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2010, 07:47:56 PM »
Keeping fingers and toes all crossed for for TAR! The WWI episode was outstanding visually, hopefully that will do the trick!!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2010, 07:51:22 PM »
oh NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Top Chef??

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline CSSVT

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2010, 07:59:35 PM »

Fully expected TAR to win there once again. When they announced Top Chef my initial reaction was "Top Chef?! Who do I even know who WATCHES Top Chef?!"

Only person I could come up with is my ex....the girl I applied to TAR with (prior to our eventual downfall  :lol:)

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2010, 08:10:27 PM »
I am really, really shocked......

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2010, 08:11:25 PM »

I think we just got U-Turned.  :o

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2010, 08:13:15 PM »
I am now going to download the episode they put up....

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2010, 08:14:25 PM »

I think we just got U-Turned.  :o

Key Brandy & Carol going off.......

Offline Kacper

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2010, 08:18:45 PM »

Fully expected TAR to win there once again. When they announced Top Chef my initial reaction was "Top Chef?! Who do I even know who WATCHES Top Chef?!"

Only person I could come up with is my ex....the girl I applied to TAR with (prior to our eventual downfall  :lol:)

EXCATLY i was sooooooooooo suprised I was like WHAT!? I don't even know what "Top Chef" is about  :groan: :groan:
Survivor: San Juan del Sur premieres Wednesday, September 24, 2014 8/7C on CBS
The Amazing Race 25 premieres Friday, September 26, 2014 8/7C on CBS

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2010, 08:21:12 PM »
God,I hope the Daily show loses now.

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2010, 08:23:14 PM »
NOOOOOOO!
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2010, 08:28:39 PM »
Well, I'm not trying to be a sourgraper here, but let's accept it. Give chance to others. :tup:
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline CSSVT

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2010, 08:33:58 PM »
Well, I'm not trying to be a sourgraper here, but let's accept it. Give chance to others. :tup:

But I don't WANNA!!!! :'(

/ToddlerFit

Offline Mister RC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Nothing is more valid than my avatar. JMO
    • Follow Me Please!
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2010, 08:51:39 PM »
Disappointing that TAR didn't win tonight, but if TAR wasn't going to win, at least it was against a classy show, and not to (crap like) PR, DWTS, TA, Survivor, AI.  Survivor this year was pretty good but, as mentioned, negative at times.  AI is very popular but unfortunately was a complete mess this year.

If this defeat kills TAR, looks like football, college hoops, and golf will complete my CBS viewing schedule going forward, period.
Every reality star is someone's favorite

Winning isn't everything, but it isn't considered nothing either. Otherwise, there wouldn't be a tribal council, a pit-stop, a boardroom, dimming of the lights, and so on

Offline Competitor

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2010, 08:58:49 PM »
This won't kill TAR. As long as it makes money, they'll keep it. Money talks, EMMY's just look nice on the mantle.

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2010, 09:08:43 PM »
Was sorta expecting it. The episode was outstanding visually, but the leg didn't have much substance to it (where was the roadblock?). I personally felt Seychelles or France 2 should have been nominated.

Still, 7 consecutive awards is nothing to sneer at.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2010, 09:21:55 PM »
Disappointing that TAR didn't win tonight, but if TAR wasn't going to win, at least it was against a classy show[...]

Agreed. I watch Top Chef and this last season was pretty good, actually. So I guess this means WRP should get to work on trying to win their Emmy back.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2010, 09:44:03 PM »
Top Chef is classy? :lol:   /sourgrapes

TAR has hit a little speedbump. I do think that the prevailing winds of "time to give someone else a chance" played a large role in tonight's upset. The episode submitted was born to be an Emmy nominated episode.

But hopefully eyes will be opened by this...and perhaps TPTB will pay attention to some of the many wonderful suggestions in the "why TAR has lost it's Magic" thread.

We want fabulous spectacular locations, and lots of them.

We want heartstoppingly beautiful visuals.

We want interesting and challenging tasks.

And most of all, we want real people who are dying to be on the show, people who spend weeks and weeks polishing a 3 minute video, people who apply and aren't recruited in an LA bar.

We want people we can bond with, relate to, laugh with (and occasionally at), and cry with when they go too soon.

People who love and appreciate the game... not the notch on their resume.

TAR is a brilliant special wonderful show that has been the source of hours and hours of pleasure and thought provoking moments for all of us here.

I continue to have faith in TAR, and the people who produce it. TAR is more than a statue on the mantle, and the ratings speak for themselves.

TAR IS magic, even if the magic needs a seven year polish.

And anyway, all the BEST winning streaks come in groups of seven...so here is to the next seven!!  :wine:

But I'll still take a :hug?:   :(
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline The Queen V

• RFF Jr. Member
  • Here comes the queen!
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2010, 10:29:58 PM »
let's be more positive into this.

having lost an emmy, the producers would now realize how stale the past two seasons were and should do everything it takes to build it even better.

seriously, tar16-5 was a wrong choice of submission. id rather make them submit the tar15 dubai 2 leg, or the tar16 singapore leg.

maybe the judges of this year's emmy paid attention to the dynamics of tar/or are tar fans.

always remember what tina mentioned in s13, that you need to lose (nel penalty) in order to succeed - or something to that extent. this is a wake up call to the producers to make an effort to upgrade the future seasons

Offline MamaT

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2010, 10:37:22 PM »
 :hug?:  here ya go, peach, and I couldnt agree more with everything you said!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2010, 10:45:29 PM »
Thanks MT!! Right back at you!!

:ghug:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2010, 11:11:26 PM »
Ok peach. This thread can be closed already. :lol: Joking! Nice speech there. :tup: