Author Topic: Emmy Nominations  (Read 22766 times)

Offline RealityFreakWill

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • WILL & JAMES AMAZING RACE 32 CHAMPIONS!
    • Facebook
Emmy Nominations
« on: July 08, 2010, 01:08:45 PM »
Congratulations to The Amazing Race on their SEVEN nominations for the upcoming Primetime Emmy Awards!

Offline MamaT

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Full Member
Re: Emmy Nominations
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 01:25:27 PM »
I had posted this earlier in Phil's forum, but this is a much more appropriate place.

Emmy nominations were announced this morning and it's good news for TAR & Phil!!

TAR was nominated for a total of 7 Emmys including the big 2: 

Outstanding Reality - Competition Program
TAR
American Idol
Dancing with the Stars
Project Runway
Top Chef

Outstanding Host for a Reality or Reality Competiton Program
Phil Keoghan
Ryan Seacest
Tom Bergeron
Heidi Klum
Jeff Probst

The other five nominations for TAR were:
Outstanding Cinematography for Reality Programming
Outstanding Directing for Nonfiction Programming
Outstanding Picture Editing for Reality Programming
Outstanding Sound Editing for Nonfiction Programming
Outstanding Sound Mixing for Nonfiction Programming

The fifth episode of TAR 16 was the one entered; "I Think We're Fighting the Germans. Right?"

Congrats to all!

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 03:12:27 PM »
There are Emmy categories for casting in drama and comedy, but nothing for reality tv. I wonder if that irks Spillman; casting for reality can be just as important--maybe more important--than for scripted shows.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 06:50:56 PM »
The seven nominations are the maximum TAR is eligible for.  No other reality competition show got that many.

And as a refresher, the nominsted episode is the one with the World War I tasks, one that I think is one of the best the show has ever produced (and that's before the many mistakes made by the teams during the leg.)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 01:27:35 PM by theschnauzers »
-- theschnauzers

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 07:20:34 PM »
The best thing I loved about that episode was "?? ? ??"

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 11:41:42 PM »
The best thing I loved about that episode was "?? ? ??"

Agree! :lol3: Jeff and Jordan were really funny there. :lol3:

But... but... but.... Survivor NOT in the Emmy list? (Or Apprentice) :o :o
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 12:07:50 AM »
Well...this is the TAR Emmy thread. :)
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 12:56:55 AM »
Well...this is the TAR Emmy thread. :)

I agree. That's right afterall. TAR is the best! :lol: :hearts: :jumpy:
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 03:02:58 AM »
With Survivor being out of the picture (How the HELL did that happen btw) I don't see any way The Amazing Race can lose the emmy.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2010, 09:24:03 PM »
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!

Even if Phil were to win best host...the category is being dissed! :meow:

From Andy Dehnart:

Reality show host Emmy dropped from prime-time broadcast
industry news »   
by Andy Dehnart / July 30, 2010, 1:23 PM 
comment »
The Emmy for outstanding reality show host will not be presented during the prime-time awards ceremony, as it has been for its first two years. Instead, it will be given out during the Creative Arts Emmys a week earlier, the ceremony dubbed the Schmemmys by Kathy Griffin.

An Academy spokesperson told Variety, “The host category was added two years ago and was never required to be in the Primetime Show. Additionally, last year CBS let the show run 5 minutes over and there were also two no-shows for awards which opened up more time in the show. Since the Bob Hope Humanitarian Award will be presented for the first time in six years, along with the second play of the show on the West Coast beginning at 8 p.m., NBC wants us to try to get off on time and there was just no room for more awards.”

That, of course, is what you might call “bull****,” and simply a sign of the contempt the Academy obviously has for unscripted TV shows. While both the best reality competition and best reality show Emmys will still be part of the prime-time broadcast, which this year airs on NBC Aug. 29, dropping this category was unnecessary.

The unnecessary filler that consumes time during the show could be cut if they actually cared about coming in on time. And considering they give awards during the prime-time telecast for supporting actors in miniseries, it’d be nice to also spend three minutes on an award that recognizes a person who fronts a show people actually watch.

Source: http://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/archives/industry_news/2010_Jul_30_host_dropped

Original story on Variety:
http://weblogs.variety.com/on_the_air/2010/07/nbc-and-the-tv-academy-have-decided-to-move-the-reality-tv--host-award-out-of-primetime-and-tvs-top-emcees-arent-ha.html

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 09:12:10 PM »
Below is the list of episodes entered. It's curious that Ryan Seacrest didn't submit the season finale of "American Idol." Instead, he opted for episode 30 (nine finalists perform). This category has only existed for two years, and "Survivor" emcee Jeff Probst has won both times. In the past, the prize was bestowed during the main telecast, but this year it will be handed out a week earlier at the Creative Arts ceremony.

Tom Bergeron, "Dancing with the Stars" ("Episode 1001")
Phil Keoghan, "The Amazing Race" ("Nanna is Kicking Your Butt")
Heidi Klum, "Project Runway" ("Sew Much Pressure")
Jeff Probst, "Survivor" ("This is the Man Test")
Ryan Seacrest, "American Idol" ("Episode 930/931A")

http://goldderby.latimes.com/awards_goldderby/2010/08/american-idol-project-runway-amazing-race-emmys-tv-reality.html
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2010, 11:59:08 AM »
Phil needs to win!! He works as hard as the contestants!!

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2010, 08:25:07 PM »
Yeah Phil does have to work his ass off during the race that he also (basically) completes.  But lets face it we know that, but I think the judging can only be from the aired footage of the episodes.  That just shows a fraction of what Phil does for those three weeks.  So I understand why he hasn't won, even if I really want him to.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2010, 11:13:59 PM »
Precisely... i think Ryan Seacrest might win this year.. Heidi Klum is just... :lol:

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 07:46:11 PM »
Amazing Race up against The American Experience documentary on the My Lai Massacre in the nonfiction directing category. That My Lai documentary was very good.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/television/news/e3if92a9f797ed3bf6b41a19a63952fae9e
Just here to visit.

Offline Pedaler

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2010, 10:14:15 PM »
I am a big Phil Keoghan fan but I just don't think that being the host of the Amazing Race allows him the opportunities that Jeff Probst has.  Jeff participates throughout each episode and helps "tell the story".  Except for the first episode where he always gives the standard spiel, Phil only appears at the end after the key events of the episode have occurred.  He ends up being more of a recapper.  It's kind of like baseball broadcasting.  You have the play-by-play team and then you have the post game crew.

I can't comment on the other nominees.  I do hope I'm wrong and Phil is awarded the Emmy.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2010, 10:05:52 PM »
 The Creative Arts Emmys will be presented Saturday, August 21!!  We will know tomorrow if Phil wins the Emmy!! :hearts:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2010, 10:22:11 PM »
 :'(  No darn it! Jeff wins again!

Full List of Winners
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2010, 05:05:08 PM »
And this too... Survivor and TAR both have gorgeous shots...hard choice.

Probst's award was one of two won by Survivor, which also took home the Outstanding Cinematography For Reality Programming award.

http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/jeff-probst-and-food-revolution-big-winners-at-creative-arts-emmy-awards-11475.php
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2010, 08:03:31 PM »
Peach if you watch both episodes its an easy win for Survivor.  HDTV truly shows off the locals of a show.  It is something TAR can really no longer be a leader off the pack in. 

I actually was surprised it even managed a nomination.

Offline kadilahopper

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2010, 11:22:19 AM »
I am not surprised TAR lost on both these areas.  Phil just does not have the air time that Jeff Probst gets.  Phil doesn't have the interaction with the contestants that Jeff has.  Phil starts the race.  Phil checks in the racers at the pit stop, and that's it.  I like Phil, but he has no obvious impact in the show.  As far as cinematography goes, Survivor does have the edge BECAUSE it gives MORE AIR TIME to the scenery. Survivor only has to monitor  ---2---- tribes. And they are at stationary locations.  TAR has to monitor ---11---teams,  CONSTANTLY MOVING, therefore the cinematography air time is limited.  I am not surprised Survivor and Jeff won in these two categories.  I still think TAR will take the BEST REALITY TV/COMPETION.  It does deserve that!

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2010, 01:56:11 PM »
The fct that TAR isn't yet being filmed in HD is a significant factor; it affects how TAR is treated in the alternative platforms (e.g., Survivor is included in the On Demand options when CBS is a channel option; TAR isn't.
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2010, 02:29:59 PM »
Phil Keoghan explains why The Amazing Race shouldn’t withdraw from the Emmys 
by Andy Dehnart / August 27, 2010, 1:23 PM   

Prime-time Emmy awards will be handed out during the live telecast Sunday night, and if history is any guide, The Amazing Race will win its eighth consecutive Emmy for outstanding reality competition program. Eighth. This is getting so ridiculous that Jeff Probst said the show should withdraw and I get increasingly frustrated that the Emmys are failing to acknowledge other strong competition series while awarding a show that’s been largely treading water for the last few years.

Its host, however, thinks the show deserves its wins. I talked to Phil Keoghan a few weeks ago, and he addressed Probst’s comment last year. “So what about him, if he wins again as the host, do I tell him to [withdraw]?” I’ll have a conversation with him if he wins this year and say, ‘You won three years, you’ve got to pull out,’” Phil said. (Jeff subsequently did win his third Emmy for best host.) “It’s interesting, because some people have said that, and I’m like, ‘What about the Daily Show?’ How come nobody asks Jon [Stewart] about that?” Phil said.

As to withdrawing, he said, “I don’t think we should do that. We strive to make the show as god as we can make it ever season, and I think it’s up to the Academy to determine whether the show deserves to be acknowledged or not. Phil asked what I thought, and I told him among other things that it seems ridiculous that the show has won in years where it has weak seasons, such as the family edition. But Phil pointed out, “They’re judging it based on the episode that’s put forward. … That should be what it is, right? Because it would be impossible to have people judge every single episode, right?”

I’m not so sure, because how can a show be judged on a single episode? It’s like tearing a page or even a chapter out of a book and saying, “Oh, this book sucks” or “This book is great.” That’s nuts.

“Then I think it’d be a different competition. That would be hard to do,” Phil told me, and then discussed the category itself. “I also think it’s very hard to compare a show like American Idol with what we do. I think that’s a great show, by the wya; my daughter watches the show, I think it’s very well-done. I almost think there needs to be another category for shows that are—to me it’s more of a variety show, I don’t know if I would call it a reality show, personally. Because I think it’s a great show; I think it deserves to be nominated, but I think it’s very difficult to compare what they do or what we do with what Survivor does. It’s very different. Or So You Think You Can Dance or Dancing with the Stars—it’s a variety show that happens to have a competition element.”

Phil told me that there are such major differences in the way the show is produced that it should be judged separately. Shows like American Idol, he said, are “in a studio, it’s 69 degrees, and there’s a studio audience. It’s a show with an audience. My daughter watches, she loves it, I watch those shows. But how do you compare that to what we’re doing or what Survivor does? We’re o location, it’s 120 degrees, it’s freezing cold, it’s raining, the train’s cancelled, the flight’s cancelled, there’s political unrest. Unless there’s a strike in Hollywood, they go to a studio.”

“I think all shows have challenges. I do think our show is very difficult to make. You’re adding so many different variables,” Phil continued. When you’re in a studio, the crew turn up on time, you know what the temperature is, you know what the union rules are, you know the parameters you’re working in, and then you make your show. We are in places where we can’t create our own world inside a studio or a set. We are subjected to the rules of the real world. If a guy says, ‘Don’t shoot here,’ we can’t shoot there. If the weather goes crazy, we have to deal with that. It would be like working in a studio where someone turned the air conditioning off and everybody’s drenched with sweat, everybody would walk out and say, we’re not working in here.’”

http://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/archives/the_amazing_race_16/2010_Aug_27_phil_keoghan_emmys
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2010, 01:08:17 AM »
Peach lets go over to this guys house and kick his ass!!!!!

I've got the pitch forks you bring the torches.

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2010, 01:33:25 AM »
The one point the person does bring up (and on this I can actually see his point to a degree) is that unlike Comedy/ Drama only one episode has to get submitted.  On the others it must be 6 (they also must produce 6 episode to be meet the qualifications to compete in any of the comedy series awards or Drama series awards.

Reality/ Non fiction shows do not, they can in fact only be one episode long.  And if you look at the technically awards you notice that we face many shows (and usually lose to them) that are one episode (say for example a 2hour documentary).

But this has always been the case for the nonfiction categories.  And by the same token each of those shows submit what the feel is their best work.