Author Topic: Lack of Diversity???  (Read 6265 times)

Offline RealityFanWA

• RFF Sr. Member
Lack of Diversity???
« on: July 08, 2010, 05:46:50 PM »
I've seen so many blogs and BB fan message boards talking about the lack of diversity with the cast for BB12??? What do you guys think about it?

We will see a 40 year old lady, a gay guy, and an African American female on BB12 but is that enough?

I would have liked to have seen a gayof color again but I guess we got that with Kevin last season. I'm not knocking Big Brother with the lack of diversity and I guess being a gay person of color myself, the lack of diversity didn't even cross my mind but I have thought about it more since I've ran about topics discussing the diversity of the BB12 cast.

What do you guys think? More gay individuals? More individuals over 40??

Discuss if you want because I'm interested in hearing people's opinions.

Thanks and go Big Brother 12.

Like Michael Jackson said, it don't matter if you're BLACK or WHITE!!!!

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Lack of Diversity???
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 05:53:21 PM »
I love the cast. Maybe 1 more individual over 40 would be good...Maybe 1 more African-American is what is wanted? I think the cast will be great and I am really excited! Mind you I am every time!
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline Mandoli

• hahahaha NO!
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 05:54:18 PM »
The only thing I complain about is how the house has a lack of "size". I don't think there's ever been a big-boned person in the house. Ever. Correct me if I'm wrong.

(Just so you know, I plan on fixing this if this is the case by applying next season.)
I thought that when we fought, I was to blame
Now I know you play a different game
I've seen you dance with danger; still wanting more
Add another number to the score

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 05:56:09 PM »
True, Mandoli, there arent really.

Chicken George might be classified in All-Stars
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline Sonoerin

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • There's One in Every Crowd
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 06:57:31 PM »
This is a discussion that's probably best left in some psychology classroom somewhere.  Big Brother is not cast based on diversity for God's sake.  It's meant to be entertaining, and meant to accomplish that by putting people in a fishbowl and just watching.

Now I've been married for 40+ years and have 8 grandkids.  I'm the first generation born in this country as both of my parents were born in Ireland.  Does this mean that I should be offended that there aren't more "baby-boomers" (we do comprise about 50% of the population), or overweight, balding Irishmen that still see themselves as Celtic Warriors?  Where are all the whiskey drinkers dammit?

My wife and I have been enjoying this show as our summer guilty pleasure since season 2 (with the possible exception of "the season which shall not be named") and laughed, screamed, loved and hated whoever we wanted to no matter what age, size, ethnicity or other demographic label they might be.  Somehow, that never factored into the equation.

If the thought never crossed your mind until you read it somewhere, then stop reading there for goodness sake.  Forget the labels and just enjoy the show.

For me, I gotta go!  We live on the East Coast and it's time for my wife and I to go figure who we're going to love/hate/cheer/boo/etc.  Please just enjoy the show along with us :D

Offline banredbeans

• Amazing Racer
  • RFF VIP
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 02:40:50 PM »
The two oldest are 39 and 40.  I would have liked to have seen someone older than 50.

Offline kc

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Happy Sunny Day
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 03:38:57 PM »
Personally I'm still waiting for a season where there arent so many perfect people,  I would like to see more "real" people,  yes I know the world probally deesnt want to see the gravity sticken, celulite ridden, and thining hair people of the work in binkinis.  But hey it might be fun to see a season where there were more of the average american rather then the hollywood/actor wanttabees.

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 05:53:52 PM »
black male where hell they went oille was last one

Offline LLeif885

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 05:57:12 PM »
Personally I'm still waiting for a season where there arent so many perfect people,  I would like to see more "real" people,  yes I know the world probally deesnt want to see the gravity sticken, celulite ridden, and thining hair people of the work in binkinis.  But hey it might be fun to see a season where there were more of the average american rather then the hollywood/actor wanttabees.

Yes, but I do appreciate having all of these "perfect people" on the show and seeing how wacked out they are.  Here we are given a house of people who are considered "ideal" by the world's materialistic standard of physical beauty and the more I see them going crazy the more I appreciate that I am not "ideal" like them.   :tup:

Offline RealityFanWA

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2010, 05:06:03 PM »
The only thing I complain about is how the house has a lack of "size". I don't think there's ever been a big-boned person in the house. Ever. Correct me if I'm wrong.

(Just so you know, I plan on fixing this if this is the case by applying next season.)

There was the teacher Jerry from Season 3 and it was nice to see him because he truly was an everyday person and not trying to pursue a Hollywood career. I just wish Jerry washed his hands before touching food in the kitchen haha...but i hope you get on there next year and Mandoli.  :hearts:

Offline tmansback

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 03:02:38 AM »
This is a discussion that's probably best left in some psychology classroom somewhere.  Big Brother is not cast based on diversity for God's sake.  It's meant to be entertaining, and meant to accomplish that by putting people in a fishbowl and just watching.

Now I've been married for 40+ years and have 8 grandkids.  I'm the first generation born in this country as both of my parents were born in Ireland.  Does this mean that I should be offended that there aren't more "baby-boomers" (we do comprise about 50% of the population), or overweight, balding Irishmen that still see themselves as Celtic Warriors?  Where are all the whiskey drinkers dammit?

My wife and I have been enjoying this show as our summer guilty pleasure since season 2 (with the possible exception of "the season which shall not be named") and laughed, screamed, loved and hated whoever we wanted to no matter what age, size, ethnicity or other demographic label they might be.  Somehow, that never factored into the equation.

If the thought never crossed your mind until you read it somewhere, then stop reading there for goodness sake.  Forget the labels and just enjoy the show.

For me, I gotta go!  We live on the East Coast and it's time for my wife and I to go figure who we're going to love/hate/cheer/boo/etc.  Please just enjoy the show along with us :D

Many people who watch Big Brother are trying to play along and identify with the characters. Diversity is a big part of that. If the show was 12 black people or 12 Hispanics maybe you would understand what i'm saying. Big Brother pretty much said they don't care about the minority viewer and this year show is going to be like The Hills meet Big Brother.

It isn't only about color. All the people are the same. They are cut in the same mold. I'm sure some conflicts will arise. In reality most of these people look like they usually would be hanging out somewhere. I guess the days of getting characters like Evil dick are done.

The racial component is embarrassing. They have 1 mixed girl and she could pass for white. I kept looking at her and thinking 'wow, its almost like they were forced to put someone of color on the show so they found the person who barely measured up.'

AS for the perfect perfect that they seem to cast. This is still a tv show. Your never going to see ideal people on a reality show. They have been put on the show because someone thinks they will do crazy stuff on tv.

Offline bee1233

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 04:24:21 AM »
Who cares!  Just enjoy the show for what it is.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2010, 07:16:50 AM »
I believe that BB casts for drama, conflicts and whatever other criteria they feel will make a good show. They put each person in the mix because of how they will potentially interact with the other HGs. I also believe they cast for cannon fodder while they have other HGs who can make it to the end and either viewers will hate the person (Natalie) or love the person like Jeff. Love and hate make ratings.  :umn:

Welcome to RFF tmansback!  
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Nuala

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2010, 02:04:17 PM »

there's been big sized guys....but not girls.....i say go for it Mandoli.....I've been going for it but never send my app and video. LOL. 

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2010, 02:09:40 PM »
If Enzo keeps eating like he is, he'll be super-sized when he leaves. :lol3:

Go for it Mandoli! You know we'd be voting like mad to help you whenever we could.
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline Mandoli

• hahahaha NO!
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2010, 03:19:41 PM »
Go for it Mandoli! You know we'd be voting like mad to help you whenever we could.

The weight on a message board on my shoulders. I won't let you down.
I thought that when we fought, I was to blame
Now I know you play a different game
I've seen you dance with danger; still wanting more
Add another number to the score