Author Topic: Re: "Around the World for Free!"  (Read 95913 times)

Offline Pedaler

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV!
Re: "Around the World for Free!"
« Reply #200 on: September 12, 2010, 08:59:38 PM »
Even though I've retired from TAR detective hood, I still can't help myself.  Jeff arrivied in Thailand on September 1.  As I write this, it's now September 13 in Thailand.  Well, what's the delay?  My understanding is that Jeff wants to go to India. As Alex and Zsolt found out in season 1, visitors must get a visa to visit India.  Well, getting a tourist visa shouldn't take long.  But Jeff, Zsolt, and Josh are more than visitors.  They are documenting Jeff's travels for cbs.com.  I don't know if they are considered journalists, but look at all the stuff that a video journalist must go through to visit and film in India.  http://www.indiacgny.org/php/showContent.php?linkid=217  (the link is from the Indian consulant in New York) It appears that the team just can't go to India and film as they please like they have in the other countries.  India appears to be one big bureaucratic place.  I hope the team gets on their way soon.  They've been in S.E. Asia and Thailand way too long.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #201 on: September 13, 2010, 12:34:01 AM »
Pedaler, you may be right that the timing of going to India was the result of not having a visa for India. However, where visas are required for U.S. citizens the process of obtaining them can be time-consuming, so I bet that Zsolt and Jeff had all reasonable visas in advance when possible. I believe that what has kept them in Thailand is a vibrant culture plus the distance being Chiang Mai and Bangkok.

Offline Pedaler

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #202 on: September 13, 2010, 08:35:19 AM »
You may be right Skip, it's no big deal.  I guess I'm just losing my enthusiasm and was bored.  Anyway, Jeff tweeted that he's on his way to Bangalore, India tomorrow.  I can't complain about that since that's the place that I also recommended over at cbs.com.  It looks like a great mix of the old and the new.

Here's a link to a video made by his future hostess in Bangalore.  http://kennyanderica.com/jeff

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #203 on: September 13, 2010, 05:37:23 PM »
Pedaler, thanks for the excellent video of  Erica Jones. We will soon know how she is supporting Jeff's trip. I have been all over India and through Bangalore in the middle of the night on a long-distance train, but did not stop there. Bangalore is the high tech capital of India and currently has an estimated population of 8 million, as big as New York City.

Offline Pedaler

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #204 on: September 14, 2010, 09:30:32 PM »
I enjoyed this behind the scenes planning episode but I still don't understand the lack of webisodes during their Bangkok/Siem Reap stay.  In almost two weeks, there was a trip to the Thailand BB house, a trip to the War Elephants, traveling to see the Monks in Siem Reap, and then this episode.  Most of Jeff's time was spent in Bangkok but there was no Bangkok episode.  Oh, well.

Offline Pedaler

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #205 on: September 16, 2010, 07:07:20 PM »
Jeff in India.  I sure hope he also visits other parts of the area.  I googled some Bangalore images and there are some spectacular buildings, both old and new.

Offline Pedaler

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #206 on: September 20, 2010, 02:41:33 PM »
I guess they didn't have time or desire to see the sights of Bangalore.   :duno: 

Offline Pedaler

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #207 on: September 21, 2010, 04:29:05 PM »
I don't like to see people miserable but I did enjoy this webisode.  It's a good change to see that Jeff's trip and experience is not always rosy.  The billboard shown below sure is ironic. 

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: Re: "Around the World for Free!"
« Reply #208 on: September 21, 2010, 05:07:26 PM »
I wonder what has been going on??

There was a long stay in Bangkok with no updates. Jeff mentioned his stomach then, wonder if he was sick?

There was a stay in Bangalore that looked as though it would have promise...but nothing of substance was shown except the radio show and a meal.

And Jeff referred to his cameraguy "Josh" so where is Zsolt?? ???

Even (and maybe especially) obstacles can be really interesting, wish we would see more.

I don't like to say it...but this is starting to fizzle out a bit.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #209 on: September 21, 2010, 05:18:03 PM »
Okay, sounds like he has a new place to stay but had a stomach bug:

Out of commission the last 24 hrs!! Stomach... Feeling better now, back at it today, still in Panjin, Goa. JeffSchroeder
Goa, India
10 hours ago Sunny morning in Panjin, Goa. Exploring the area and different street foods today... JeffSchroeder
Goa, India
2 days ago Correction... Ernesto's place is in Panjin, north Goa. We saw great partying on a river cruise boat and have an early start, on the water... JeffSchroeder
Goa, India
2 days ago Saw temples in Old Goa incl basilica where they keep St Francis of Assissi's body, preserved 100s of yrs... Ernesto says boat cruise next... JeffSchroeder
Goa, India
2 days ago Left Anjuna... now in South Goa with new friends Ernesto and Vasquito, having an amazing meal in what feels like an old Portugal area... JeffSchroeder
Goa, India
3 days ago Waking up to more monsoon rains here in Anjuna... Heading to the beach for some breakfast w Sanjay anyway... JeffSchroeder
North Goa
3 days ago
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Sandra1991

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #210 on: September 21, 2010, 05:25:31 PM »
Jeff sure looked like he needed some sleep!

Offline Pedaler

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #211 on: September 21, 2010, 07:35:36 PM »
I wonder what has been going on??

There was a long stay in Bangkok with no updates. Jeff mentioned his stomach then, wonder if he was sick?

There was a stay in Bangalore that looked as though it would have promise...but nothing of substance was shown except the radio show and a meal.

And Jeff referred to his cameraguy "Josh" so where is Zsolt?? ???

Even (and maybe especially) obstacles can be really interesting, wish we would see more.

I don't like to say it...but this is starting to fizzle out a bit.

Peach, I don't know what is going on, but it sure has been a letdown since Mt. Fuji.  Jeff did many other things in Thailand, but for some reason they weren't shown.  He went to some tropical island, went zip lining in Siem Reap where one of the Amazing Race Asias went, ate smelly nasty durian in Bangkok, etc.  Here's a link to his twitter photos. http://plixi.com/6167284#/my_photos/home/6167284/page:1

As for Bangalore, here's a link to its wikipedia page.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangalore Just look at the architectural photos at the top.   Why didn't they go to some of those places?  Unfortunately we are only seeing the stereotypical stuff in India.

I don't know what Zsolt, the director, is thinking and doing.  He even has an additional camera guy this time to reduce the burden on him.

Normally I would just give up posting the videos but I'm stubborn and will continue to the end.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #212 on: September 21, 2010, 07:48:45 PM »
Maybe they had a camera disaster and lost their film. :lol:

I know, I will stick it too. Hopefully Jeff will get his mojo back soon!

Having travelled extensively around the world alone, I know that there are some black days, when you just want a hug and a familiar face. But that is just when you reach out to someone, make a friend, have an adventure, and make a memory.

And Jeff isn't alone...he has Zsolt and Josh to commissurate with, so quit telling us it isn't what you are used to and go have some FUN!!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Pedaler

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #213 on: September 22, 2010, 07:58:17 AM »
Lengthy behind the scenes blog with pictures from Jeff's hostess in Bangalore.  Good read.  Again, I wish they had visited some of the sights in the city.  Sometimes it seems that Jeff, Zslot, and Josh never google in advance any info about the places they visit.  They should know that Google is their friend.   :tup:

http://kennyanderica.com/just-for-fun/around-the-world-for-free/

Offline Pedaler

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #214 on: September 23, 2010, 10:53:02 PM »
Of course he didn't know, but Jeff would have been much better off if he went straight to this part of Goa once he left Bangalore.  It's a much happier Jeff.  Overall, a much more informative webisode than we've seen in awhile.

Offline Pedaler

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #215 on: September 27, 2010, 02:11:12 PM »
Jeff going from Goa to Mumbai.  It's interesting to see that some eat fish in Goa, just like any other seacoast area in the world.

Offline Pedaler

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #216 on: September 29, 2010, 03:22:40 PM »
Jeff in Mumbai, India.

Offline Pedaler

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #217 on: October 05, 2010, 01:38:57 PM »
I am astounded after almost 1 week that this is the best they can do.    :duno:

Offline Pedaler

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #218 on: October 05, 2010, 07:24:21 PM »
Wow, That's very generous of his fan club.  Before I saw the offer, I was hoping that Jeff was going to get lucky with one of the Divas.  If a fan club member reads this, Sorry about that.   :-[ 

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #219 on: October 06, 2010, 08:54:33 PM »
If Jordan reads this...sorry about that will be right! :lol:

I miss seeing how it all works...reading the message boards helps, but still. More behind the scenes please! And in the first season, I think we got a new videon at least every other day...

SIck in Mumbai is no fun...but missung opportunities sucks too...it could have been so much better.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline slpdx

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #220 on: October 07, 2010, 11:11:05 AM »
If Jordan reads this...sorry about that will be right! :lol:

I miss seeing how it all works...reading the message boards helps, but still. More behind the scenes please! And in the first season, I think we got a new videon at least every other day...

SIck in Mumbai is no fun...but missung opportunities sucks too...it could have been so much better.

I agree GP, I would love to see more behind the scenes stuff and not just the message boards, but more of what Zsolt and Josh are doing.  What lengths they may have to go to, to get the shots, how they decided what to put into and leave out of the webisodes. It doesn't have to be a lot, just enough to give us a little more insight into the whole process.

I think the original order was for something like 50-55 webisodes.  We all know they have done a lot more than we have seen. Hopefully, CBS will pick it up like WGN did in Alex's season. As for the timing of when new webisodes are released, I think they have more hoops to jump through this season and are really at the mercy of CBS.

Offline slpdx

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #221 on: October 07, 2010, 11:12:52 AM »
By the way, there is a new webisode up this morning, so that's the 3rd in 3 days.

Sorry, I don't know how to embed it:

http://www.cbs.com/originals/around_the_world_for_free_linear/video/

Offline Pedaler

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #222 on: October 07, 2010, 11:14:54 AM »
Here you go.  Jeff and the Roma.

Offline Pedaler

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #223 on: October 08, 2010, 06:36:21 PM »
Jeff asking for help and suggestions.

Offline RealityFreakWill

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • WILL & JAMES AMAZING RACE 32 CHAMPIONS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #224 on: October 09, 2010, 10:50:03 AM »
Jeff and Jordan reunited at Italy today. On the left is his cousin Silvia. On the right is Silvia's husband and one of their three sons.  They are in the city of Fivizzano, where Jeff's mother was born at and grew up in.

Jordan, Jeff and Silvia

« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 02:23:17 PM by RealityFreakWill »