Author Topic: Casting for Season 18?  (Read 44577 times)

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Casting for Season 18?
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2010, 01:37:26 PM »
Well, even some Canadians can have US passports...but I :bow: to your knowledge!   :lol:

Or...
Maybe TAR 18 is an international version?!?!?!?
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2010, 01:50:50 PM »
:groan:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2010, 03:55:38 PM »
or maybe ..............  The Amazing Race:Hudson Bay Trapper edition........super secret Canadian version........I am just sayin

I did add her as a friend, but her info is limited. Is there any reason that she couldnt be an American going to school there?
Matthew 7:15

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2010, 04:30:49 PM »
or maybe ..............  The Amazing Race:Hudson Bay Trapper edition........super secret Canadian version........I am just sayin

I did add her as a friend, but her info is limited. Is there any reason that she couldnt be an American going to school there?

I checked her friends and relatives and they all seemed to be from the Ottawa area... and I can't believe any American in their right mind would opt to spend any amount of time in Sudbury Ontario. Nothin against the fine folks there, but unless you're a hockey player or a miner, there ain't much to see. Except a big nickel...
More likely she met some guy in a bar and he offered to get her on TAR if she didn't mind auditioning in private... if ya know what I mean. :-[ :-[
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2010, 06:45:42 PM »
Well, even some Canadians can have US passports...but I :bow: to your knowledge!   :lol:

Or...
Maybe TAR 18 is an international version?!?!?!?

it would be fun if it's an international version, it's like the World Cup or something. :lol:
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2010, 07:18:38 PM »
The biggest problem for an "international" edition is the ease or difficulty in getting visas for a given country that varies for nationals of different countries, as well as the safety factor of the teams and production.  It's why the US edition has always required a US passport so that no one gained an advantage due to this very factor.

Since CBS did list that one open casting call for the end of August on the Casting pages for the cbs.com website, even without updating the application forms, I'm still of the opinion currently that they likely have enough finalists/semi-finalists they want to work with for TAR 18. It's just an instinctive opinion on my part, but given the way casting for Survivor has had to evolve (all but casting two seasons at once), it wouldn't surprise me if that's what happening with TAR as well.
-- theschnauzers

Offline kadilahopper

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2010, 11:17:42 AM »
Well apparently, Miss Courtney regretted posting on facebook for TAR 18 and has deleted her posts.  If it was legit then maybe she is trying to mimimize the damage. Who knows? I did call the 99 restaurant that is holding the casting call to ask if they have applications there or do you just download the 17 application from the CBS website.  The  manager, poor woman,  was quite distressed.  She told me she knew "nothing".  All she knew is that they were holding the casting call.  She seemed so stressed out with all the calls about the casting.  If TAR is sponsoring this casting call, it seems that they should of given the business a little more info knowing that they would be inundated with calls.  Hey Peach, can you verify that the 17 application is indeed what you would need for this casting call?  A lot of people might assume that the restaurant would have them.  At this time they don't. Of course, TAR might send them to the restaurant before the 28th. 

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2010, 01:26:11 PM »
That was a good idea to delete her info, anyone who posts openly about their application status has probably doomed themselves.

My guess is that this casting call is sponsored by a local TV or radio station and will not necessarily have a CBS casting rep there, but I have no way of knowing for sure.

And no I can't "verify" anything because I am not affiliated with casting in any way.

BUT, anyone going to an open call would, IMO, be well advised to have their application already thoughtfully and carefully filled out. While the video may grab them, I understand the the ap itself may make or break you, so it deserves as much care and thought as the video. And the apps haven't varied much it the past....
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 09:58:58 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2010, 01:55:37 PM »
And the apps haven't varied much it the past....

As best as I can recall, there have only been two major revision of the TAR application questions (other that the semifinal city question and the pertinent dates/deadlines) since the show started. The last major revision was shen the application started to permit DVD recordings instead of only VHS to be submitted. And that was around TAR 12 IIRC.
-- theschnauzers

Offline kadilahopper

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2010, 12:05:45 PM »
That's true, Schnau. The application hasn't changed much.  My concern was some hopefuls might expect the applications to be at the casting call.  And as of the day before yesterday they weren't.  I would suggest any hopefuls to download the application for 17 and take that with you.  Best to be safe than sorry.  Good Luck.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2010, 02:52:22 PM »
Not only take it with you, take it filled out and ready to go. There is no time and space at most of these to do the thoughtful job you should.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline TrueNorth

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2010, 04:13:01 PM »
I live about an hour from Tewksbury, what can I do to help?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2010, 04:21:23 PM »
ooooh. check your PM. :)
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2010, 04:31:35 PM »
oops
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 10:40:27 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2010, 10:41:00 PM »
Tewksbury — The Ninety Nine Restaurant in Tewksbury is hosting an open casting call for CBS’s hit TV reality show, “The Amazing Race,” on Saturday, Aug. 28, 7-10 a.m.

The casting call is open to the public, age 21 or older. 

WBZ-TV is bringing the auditions to Tewksbury. Area locals can audition for a chance to become contestants on next season’s series. “The Amazing Race” airs Sundays at 8 p.m. on WBZ-TV.

All eligible contestants will be reviewed by CBS “The Amazing Race” cast producers. CBS will notify WBZ-TV of any local contestants selected. Those who are selected will be flown to Los Angeles for the semi-final auditions.

The Ninety Nine Restaurant is located at 401 Main St., in Tewksbury.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline kadilahopper

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2010, 12:56:14 PM »
I am glad that they didn't specify this casting call for TAR 18.  I take it that this open call is for anyone and not just locals.  They still didn't specify about downloading the application from the website and having it filled out, but common sense would tell you to have this done.  I have attended two casting calls and a third of the teams didn't have an application with them.  Hopefully we have a lot of boy scouts applying. (Be Prepared) :<)

Offline Goldeneye

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2010, 09:15:54 PM »
FYI - I live about about 25 miles south of the casting place, however, I am probably going to pass on this TAR18 casting call though, since it is a bit out of my way.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2010, 10:05:07 PM »
I am glad that they didn't specify this casting call for TAR 18.  I take it that this open call is for anyone and not just locals.  They still didn't specify about downloading the application from the website and having it filled out, but common sense would tell you to have this done.  I have attended two casting calls and a third of the teams didn't have an application with them.  Hopefully we have a lot of boy scouts applying. (Be Prepared) :<)

Was there a CBS casting rep (not the TV station) at either of the ones you went to? ???
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline kadilahopper

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2010, 09:30:37 AM »
To tell the truth Peach, I'm not sure.  I was having so much fun watching all the teams that were applying.  The "array" of clothing styles  being worn were totally outrageous.   The hats, the costumes.  I saw several "pimps" accompanied by their "ladies of the evening".  (Minus drawers and such) :<).  The "purple" pumperknickel, as well as the usual Beauty Queens and Mr. Atlas's.  My brother and I played our normal game of what occupation, what team.  You don't even want to know what occupations we came up with.  But I digress.  I would guess there probably weren't any reps.  If there had been,  my brother and I would probably have been asked to leave.  To put it politely, when ANY of my family gets together, it is total hilarity and chaos.

Offline kadilahopper

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #69 on: August 18, 2010, 09:43:08 AM »
I do have a suggestion for all who do apply at a casting call.  Be prepared to TALK in front of the camera.  At my second casting call, I went with a female friend.  We drove over two hours to get to the casting call, and my "teammate" DID NOT SHUT UP for one moment on the trip there.  But when we got in front of the camera, NOTHING!  TOTAL SILENCE!  I had to do all the talking.  For two hours I had learned what she had for lunch that day to the exact hour she came down the birth canal.  In front of the camera, SILENCE.  Sheeeeeeeshhhhhhhhhh!  BE PREPARED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (And no, she wasn't a blond).

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2010, 08:23:48 PM »
Have fun, anyone going to Tewkesbury tomorrow!! :jumpy:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline kadilahopper

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #71 on: August 28, 2010, 10:08:26 AM »
I just corresponded with someone who went to the casting call today and the people doing the casting call did not take their application that they had filled out and brought with them.  All that was required was their phone number and e-mail address.  Also, the videos that were being made were only for 1 minute.  IMO this was just a publicity stunt on behalf of the restaurant to drum up business, (duh uh, of course this is part of it), TAR is not even bothering to look past the physical attractiveness of the teams on  camera , or TAR is just using this 1 casting call to placate the base and drum up interest in the upcoming race.  Personally, I think I hit three out of three.  One more and I'll have a GRAND SLAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #72 on: August 28, 2010, 03:29:26 PM »
Here is some info from two eyewitness accounts!! Thanks to you both! ( I have removed any identifying or personal info.)

===============================================

* They started right at 7am, and we only had one minute to give our pitch.
* There were teams from everywhere!  Hawaii, Georgia, lots of NY/NJ...shocking to me that people would travel from so far away!
* The lines were outside of the restaurant, and the check in desk was at a side door.  The cameras were set up right inside the door.
* We got there at 6:15 and had our audition right before **.  At that point, I'd say we were about the 125th pair to audition.
* Based on the line that was still there when we left, it looked like there may have been another 125 pairs or so waiting to go.  There didn't seem to be many additional people trickling in, so my guess is that everyone who         showed up was going to be able to audition.
* They absolutely would not take full application packets at the check-in desk.  The local CBS affiliate ...had said beforehand that whatever we brought would be turned over to casting.  So that was disappointing.
* There did not appear to be anyone official from World Race Productions or from CBS national.  If they were there, they were stealth.
* From what one of the organizers said to a group, he was part of a marketing company that the local CBS affiliate uses for promotion.  All he said was that this was the first of more open calls to come for next year's races.  (He even sited NY, Florida, etc, as future casting call sites.)  My guess is he was making it all up.  It was impossible to tell which of the organizers were from that marketing company or which were from the local CBS affiliate (if any).
* There was a camera guy from CBS-4, but we didn't see any aggressive interviewing of hopefuls for the local news.  I don't even think they brought a reporter with them.
*  Everyone we talked to was really nice, and there were very few costumes, etc.  Just a few teams in matching T-shirts or full matching outfits.

And from our second team:

* We got there at 6, already a huge line, people in chairs, etc.
* I would estimate close to 500 teams, at least 400, so 800-1000 people.
*  We talked to people in line from texas, california, Connecticut and New Jersey.
* We had filled out applications, got the pictures, made a video, etc. but didn't need any of that stuff. it seemed to be just the local station doing it .
* No one knew if it was for TAR 18, they truly seemed to have no clue about it.
* We also heard of another call in Atlantic City in September .
*They took our license infomation along with email and cell phone numbers.
*We did a 60 second video.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline docol

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Can't wait 4 "The Amazing Race" 35...!!!!!!!!
« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2010, 05:19:56 PM »
YAYYYYYYY.........so, another season is confirmed.....?????? that will be AWESOME, finally some fresh news to rock my crappy world..!!!!!  :tup:
"" JUSTICE 4 DUSTIN&KANDICE: PUT THEM ON THE AMAZING RACE LEGENDS SEASON ""

Offline Competitor

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #74 on: August 30, 2010, 07:38:49 AM »
Someone posted elsewhere that the Boston casting call folks said that there will be other casting calls. The only one that sounded specific was that there is one scheduled in Atlantic City on September 29 and that there would be "more casting calls in LA and Detroit." The person also said that there would be more information available on the website once season 17 begins. At that time, the application would be changed to season 18.

This all sounds questionable to me. It sounds specific, but how do you not release an application or have more casting calls until mid to late September if you want to have a season ready for the Spring? The only possible explanation that I can think of is that maybe they're not going to film until right after Christmas? Maybe film from late December until mid-late January? Would that even work? Maybe they want to wait as long as possible to begin filming before the season starts to air so as to not give you spoilers as much time to do your thing?

I don't know. I am of the persuasion that something fishy is going on for season 18. A casting call is better than no casting call, but I sure hope that they begin "officially" casting season 18 soon. I hate it for the folks who showed up early and waited to do their thing this past weekend if they aren't even being given a shot. I mean, if this was just a promo for the restaurant and these one-minute videos are going to get put in a back room somewhere, that's pretty lame. I know all applicants face a major uphill climb to get on, but at least be casting with these things. Don't just throw your name out there to promote a restaurant in order to lead on and deceive a bunch of fans that keep this show going. Not accepting applications and only doing a one-minute video is not encouraging.