Author Topic: Casting for Season 18?  (Read 44569 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: Casting for Season 18?
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2010, 04:48:29 AM »
Usually in May/June/July. They are becoming very late....

For TAR 14
applications must be received by Wednesday, May 28th, 2008 at 5 p.m. PST.
and one of two cycles of LA interviews were done in July.

For TAR 16 apps were due by July 10.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2010, 01:21:17 PM »
We have a new thread for discussion of previous topics, if anyone wants to copy your posts about former seasons to that thread, please feel free!

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,22643.msg539497.html#msg539497
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Competitor

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2010, 09:17:11 PM »
I have a theory or two about season 18.

First, we saw the late casting call in Sacramento for Survivor 22 that was a week or two ago. This leads one to believe that casting is/was behind in casting for Survivor 22 which is due to film in a little under two weeks. Perhaps they have been completing that process before getting the ball rolling on TAR 18--which would include the release of an application. With that in mind, we should expect to see an application released within the next week or two if they're still shooting for a spring season of TAR that starts in late January or early February as TAR 16 did.

Second, given that TAR has not been officially renewed for the spring, perhaps the big shots are planning a TAR 18 but they are thinking of delaying the process by a few weeks and having TAR ready to go in March in order to replace a show that is struggling to survive. This seems least likely and for the long-term health of TAR, I hope that this is not the case. However, we have seen this done before.

I'm not up-to-date on all things reality TV, but these seem like a couple of possible scenarios.

Oh, and there is that possibility that they're planning an All Stars/Former Racer season. Who knows.

Anyone that's smarter than me have an opinion?

Offline Mister RC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Nothing is more valid than my avatar. JMO
    • Follow Me Please!
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2010, 06:31:01 PM »
Second, given that TAR has not been officially renewed for the spring, perhaps the big shots are planning a TAR 18 but they are thinking of delaying the process by a few weeks and having TAR ready to go in March in order to replace a show that is struggling to survive. This seems least likely and for the long-term health of TAR, I hope that this is not the case. However, we have seen this done before.

Yes we have, but not for a spring season slated to debut in February.  TAR6 & TAR12, a couple autumn seasons, were delayed.  The closest a spring season was delayed a little was TAR4.  And that wasn't a little, it was a lot.  It would premiere in May & end in August (summer season).

So if they were to delay TAR18, I don't think it would be by a few weeks.  It wouldn't help the show with a June finale.  Sure there's no competition, but unlike TAR4 & TAR5, the first half would be up against a lot of other TV shows about to wrap up their season (or series).
Every reality star is someone's favorite

Winning isn't everything, but it isn't considered nothing either. Otherwise, there wouldn't be a tribal council, a pit-stop, a boardroom, dimming of the lights, and so on

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2010, 09:22:01 PM »
I doubt there will be any delays at all.
RFF's Golden Rule:

K2Review

« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2010, 04:57:14 PM »
This is interesting.  Open call scheduled outside of Boston on 8/28.  Is this for Season 18 after all?

http://www.cbs.com/casting/index.php?show=1&0.24406025325879455

Offline Competitor

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2010, 05:40:46 PM »
This is interesting.  Open call scheduled outside of Boston on 8/28.  Is this for Season 18 after all?

This is definitely very encouraging news. The fact that the casting call isn't until the end of August is quite curious.

Anyone have any possible explanations? If they are going to try to have a season start in late January or early February, then this isn't giving themselves very much time.

Offline Paron

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2010, 05:27:21 AM »

This is definitely very encouraging news. The fact that the casting call isn't until the end of August is quite curious.

Anyone have any possible explanations? If they are going to try to have a season start in late January or early February, then this isn't giving themselves very much time.
I'm not sure.  The application still says TAR17.

Offline kadilahopper

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2010, 01:02:27 PM »
OK Peach, this one's for you!  I have faith in your sources and your ability to sniff out the facts from the fiction.  August 28.  18 or not? 

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2010, 04:15:05 PM »
I am not speaking in any way for CBS, or WRP, or casting...so you take what you get.

The restaurant confirms the date and time and the "amazing Race Casting".

I like this, hopefully it is the first of many. If so, then the apps should be out soon.

As I have said, there is a lot of smoke though about TAR 18 not being a "typical" race... so I don't know if/how that could affect casting...if at all.

And my overall impression the last several seasons is that there has been a more open appilcation window...more ongoing. And of course, more recruited teams. :groan:

I hope someone can go to this?? Should be interesting. I would feel more confident if this was a major casting opp with a CBS rep there...
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2010, 06:26:47 PM »
I am not speaking in any way for CBS, or WRP, or casting...so you take what you get.

I like this, hopefully it is the first of many. If so, then the apps should be out soon.

As I have said, there is a lot of smoke though about TAR 18 not being a "typical" race... so I don't know if/how that could affect casting...if at all.

And my overall impression the last several seasons is that there has been a more open appilcation window...more ongoing. And of course, more recruited teams. :groan:

I hope someone can go to this?? Should be interesting. I would feel more confident if this was a major casting opp with a CBS rep there...

Thinking outside the box, maybe be S18 is a "specialty" season (not necessarily All-Stars) so maybe they're looking for contestants with a certain profile (think ANTM 13 where they cast only 5'7" or shorter models), or maybe the auditions are undercover.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline Mug Costanza

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2010, 11:18:57 PM »

Man, if I didn't have to be on the other side of the state that day, I'd be all over that. :(
"I defy you to come up with a better name than Seven!"
"Alright... how 'bout Mug? Mug Costanza!"

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2010, 02:39:03 PM »
I personally think there's going to be a very short application period for TAR 18; like maybe 10-12 days at most.  Casting has done that before, and as I recall, it's turns out that team form the newer season were finalists the previous season, so there's a logic to it. (Replenish the finalist pool for the fitire.) I keep having this feeling that Lynn Spielman and company have a strong leftover pool from TAR 17, and rhey're not too concerned about new applications right now.

Now, that's just a gut feeling. I've seen press releases for casting the new dancing series for CBS that Paula Abdul is executive producing, and I suspect casting is getting that one done first before TAR 18.

If the rumors (plus Allison Groesner's interview last week) are correct with Jeff Schroeder heading towards LA for a night as part of his ongoing Around The World For Free season, that would be a hook for CBS to use not only for ATWFF, but for a TAR 18 casting promo. It wouldn't be the first time TAR xasting has used BB airtime for a promo or two, and given the way CBS thinks a lot of the time, it is the sort of thing CBS would do.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Competitor

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2010, 01:17:51 PM »
Now, that's just a gut feeling. I've seen press releases for casting the new dancing series for CBS that Paula Abdul is executive producing, and I suspect casting is getting that one done first before TAR 18.
/quote]

From what I have read, casting for the dance show will take a few months and is in the preliminary stages. Are Spillman and co. responsible for casting this show? It seems more like an American Idol type of show where they are just trying to find the most talented person.

Offline kadilahopper

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2010, 06:16:28 PM »
If a post on facebook/amazing race discussion/ casting 18 is correct, then casting is almost completed.  A girl named Courtney said that she has been called in to see the producers and she, and I guess her teammate are number 15 in ranking.  She hopes to make one of the 11 teams. Of course, she could be just whistling Dixie.  Time will tell.  Can you snoop this one out Peach?

Offline Competitor

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2010, 09:41:52 PM »
I think this girl was a finalist for season 17. She said that she had not heard from the producers since March.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2010, 10:31:47 PM »
If a post on facebook/amazing race discussion/ casting 18 is correct, then casting is almost completed.  A girl named Courtney said that she has been called in to see the producers and she, and I guess her teammate are number 15 in ranking.  She hopes to make one of the 11 teams. Of course, she could be just whistling Dixie.  Time will tell.  Can you snoop this one out Peach?

I haven't read this, but here is my take. By the time someone gets chosen to do semifinals or final interviews, the need for secrecy is usually well drummed into their heads, they have to begin to sign the pages of confidentiality agreements. If someone blabbed they were in the top 15 at that point, I would drop them like a hot potato. :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2010, 12:40:39 AM »

I haven't read this, but here is my take. By the time someone gets chosen to do semifinals or final interviews, the need for secrecy is usually well drummed into their heads, they have to begin to sign the pages of confidentiality agreements. If someone blabbed they were in the top 15 at that point, I would drop them like a hot potato. :lol:

:lol:

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2010, 02:37:12 AM »
Okay we now know who will be NOT selected for Season 18 cast... will it be All-Stars 2 or a normal season?

Offline kadilahopper

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2010, 08:43:26 AM »
It would be a shame for her to lose her chance because of a slip of the pen, but what concerns me more is, if she is correct and she is "right now" ranked 15th, then that would lead me to believe that casting for 18 is almost complete.  Have you found out whether the casting call in MA is for 18, Peach?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2010, 09:06:40 AM »
After reading what she actually said, I expect someone was helping her along for 17 and perhaps promised more than they could. If she were going to be on 18, then my guess is that she might have heard something by now. But remember that TAR 14 did two interview sets...one group in July and one group in the fall. So anything is possible.

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2010, 09:21:54 AM »
Well I played with that link about ten days to Sunday.......never found the posting. Is a better link available for us computards?
Matthew 7:15

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2010, 09:24:45 AM »
sending it...
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2010, 11:07:05 AM »
It would be a shame for her to lose her chance because of a slip of the pen, but what concerns me more is, if she is correct and she is "right now" ranked 15th, then that would lead me to believe that casting for 18 is almost complete.  Have you found out whether the casting call in MA is for 18, Peach?
This is probably fake since she's a Canadian.
Not that all Canadians are liars or anything,  :lol3: its just they aren't allowed on the US version of TAR.
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2010, 12:13:48 PM »
Well, even some Canadians can have US passports...but I :bow: to your knowledge!   :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule: