Author Topic: Casting for Season 18?  (Read 44568 times)

Offline Chameleon777

• RFF Not So Newbie
Casting for Season 18?
« on: June 08, 2010, 06:03:07 PM »
When do you suppose they will begin casting for Season 18?

Offline Vega

• RFF Not So Newbie
Re: Casting for Season 18?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 07:59:50 AM »
Doe TAR have open auditions like Survivor? I would think they would have much more stringent requirements when it comes to health as much as the contestants are running around. I don't know if I could run that much.
Vega Sinclair, Travel Medical Insurance Advisor

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 02:53:34 PM »
Yes, there are open auditions usually held around the country!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline RealityFanWA

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 03:52:22 PM »
I'm curious to know when the casting for Season 18 starts myself...

Offline north09

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 05:24:50 PM »
I'm hoping that after Caitlin and now Kevin that they'll lower the age limit. I'm 8 months from 21, and I'd like to apply now while my brother is still willing to do it with me.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 05:30:16 PM by north09 »

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 06:36:50 PM »
Check here every week or so: http://www.cbs.com/casting/

They still have S17 casting up now, but that will change eventually.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 08:25:50 PM »
I'd venture a guess that season 18 apps will go up almost as soon as the BB12 season begins airing. Of course that also depends on how long CBS wants to give people to apply, especially if they think they have enough likely teams in the current pool of applications.

They also need to be finished with the application period for season 22 of Survivor, which will film before TAR 18 will, since CBS is having Burnett film both of their seasons back-to-back as they did with Survivor 19-20.
-- theschnauzers

K2Review

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 02:00:02 PM »
It's feeling like it's very late to have not released season 18 applications.  Is there a chance that they're not producing a race for airing in Spring 2011?

I haven't exactly given up hope yet, though.  They were able to pull together season 17 with a lot less time between the application due date and the production dates than in past seasons.

Offline Competitor

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 04:30:38 PM »
It's feeling like it's very late to have not released season 18 applications.  Is there a chance that they're not producing a race for airing in Spring 2011?

I haven't exactly given up hope yet, though.  They were able to pull together season 17 with a lot less time between the application due date and the production dates than in past seasons.

Someone on here said they would be surprised if an application is not released around the time that Big Brother debuts. BB debuts in a week. I don't think that we're running real late on schedule if it similar to TAR16. TAR16 filmed between Thanksgiving and Christmas of last year. Say an application is released and is due by August 1st. That gives casting August, September, and October to do their thing. If we get to August 1st and don't have an application released, I'll begin to get curious.

Offline jessicathedancer

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 02:02:13 PM »
This show seems like it would be a blast to be on!

Jessica

Offline kadilahopper

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 01:00:53 PM »
As much as I love this show and am truly a devoted fan, it would not surprise me to hear that TAR will not be renewed for season 18.  It has lost so much of its appeal because of its select recruiting of teams as well as the increasing number of semi-celebs they are now casting.  There is a fakeness about the show now.  If they do cast season 18 I hope that they will select teams who have never been in front of a camera.  It is so much entertaining watching "virgin" reactions instead of scripted.  Watch season 1 and then watch any of the past 5 seasons and you will see my meaning.  For all you hopefuls out there.  I wish you all good luck. 

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 03:03:26 PM »

Oh, I am pretty sure there is going to be a TAR 18. :tup:

But I have been hearing lots of "smoke" about some sort of atypical season...former racers??  but perhaps not an AllStars??  :duno:

Which could explain why no new applications have been released.

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Mug Costanza

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 05:34:29 PM »

But I have been hearing lots of "smoke" about some sort of atypical season...former racers??  but perhaps not an AllStars??  :duno:

It's feeling like it's very late to have not released season 18 applications.  Is there a chance that they're not producing a race for airing in Spring 2011?

Great to hear, peach! I didn't think CBS would give up on the show that's won every Outsanding Reality Competition Show Emmy ever. Even if the show's a bit different than the classic seasons nowadays, it's still consistently in the top 25 weekly ratings. :)
"I defy you to come up with a better name than Seven!"
"Alright... how 'bout Mug? Mug Costanza!"

Offline TARdevotee

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2010, 06:35:37 PM »

But I have been hearing lots of "smoke" about some sort of atypical season...former racers??  but perhaps not an AllStars??  :duno:

Glad to hear that there will be a Season 18! Been thinking of finally applying! But maybe I should start hoping and praying that it's NOT going to have former racers on. Besides, didn't BVM say in an interview somewhere that the Race is best when it's NEW racers? Hopefully this "smoke" clears and it'll feature new racers!

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2010, 10:51:32 PM »
Given news reports I saw last night that Jimmy Johnson former head coach of the Dallas Cowboys, Miami Hurricanes, and the Miami Dolphins has been in Nicaragua filming Survivor, it wouldn't surprise me at all if TAR tried a Celebrity fan edition (i.e., Celebrities who are long time fans of TAR).  In recent seasons, we've seen a bunch of such teams cast, and most of them have proven to be good Racers or good foils for good Racers.

In some ways, it's harder to sometimes detect such teams, because people would not necessarily think that X and a friend are Racing if they're seen somewhere else in the world, and a camera crew might now seem to set off the TAR Sixth Sense. Or maybe go the aid noteworthy charities eoute; where teams winning legs earn mooney for their charities and not prizes for themselves.

But I seriously doubt CBS is going to pass up a second edition of TAR in the spring; the network finally has something to pair with TAR on Sunday nights, and unlike Winter 2010, there is no Winter Olympics, the NCAA tournament is changing formats and broadcast patterns for March 2011, the Oscars will air earlier in 2011 than in 2010, so an attention-getting edition of TAR could build an audience in the spring with less disruptions and distractions than TAR 16 had.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2010, 05:46:50 AM »

Champions Edition???

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2010, 05:55:59 AM »
hmmm... perhaps the reason why Bertram van Munster (or Jerry Bruckheimer?) tweeted days back asking people regarding their favorite task in the race.

Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline kadilahopper

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2010, 10:33:50 AM »
I hope that  "smoke" is quickly extinguished Peach.  And I truly hope that there is not an all-star or a "past racer" edition coming up.  The first all-star was a fiasco for me.  The first time all those particular teams were on the race was really great.  The frat boys bickering, team guido's competitiveness, Rob's  little boy mischievousness. I could go on and on.  Each of the all-star teams were uniquely entertaining in their original season, but when they got to the all-stars, all their appeal had been lost.  They had lost that first season excitement.  I may be wrong, but it seemed that the teams were quite blase' about the all-star race.  Maybe they suffered the "been there, done that" mentality.  I definitely do not want a repeat of that season.  I want to see the excitement on the faces of ordinary people who have never been in front of the camera.  I want to see the race through their eyes, not through the eyes of someone who projects what they feel the viewer will like to see.  Keep us updated on any grapevine news Peach.  I appreciate your efforts.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 10:18:02 PM by TexasLady »

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2010, 12:48:58 PM »
kadilahopper,

I agree that one of the worst seasons ever was AR11. These teams underperformed based on the expectations from their prior season:

John Vito/Jill
Kevin/Drew
Rob/Amber
Ian/Teri
Uchenna/Joyce

I would say that David/Mary did about as I expected (little) and Oswald/Danny and Eric/anyone(in this case Danielle) the same as I expected. Joe/Bill did worse in actual results but I like them a lot more in AR11 than I did in AR1, so they achieved some redemption away from their villain role.

Teams that did better than I expected were Mirna/Charla  and Dustin/Kandice.

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2010, 02:22:18 AM »
Apskip

See I have to disagree (not about the quality of season 11) but about how the teams performed.  Really only three teams surprised me at all.  I expected John Vito & Jill to go out about 3rd or 4th (they never raced that well in their own season) but I was surprised to see them booted first.  I was surprised that Teri & Ian did as well as they did (they started exceptionally poorly and took nearly 2/3rd of a season to get good the first time though they did get eliminated about where I expected).  ANd I was surprised that Rob & Amber were gone in leg 4 (I would have guessed leg 7).  As not only did they race teams with experience, but the world has gotten a lot more wise to TAR and its cast.  So their fame wouldn't be as much as a factor as it was the first time.

Really for myself the problems with season  11 are four fold.

1.  Knowing in advance the boot list of every single team.  That really killed any drama.

2.  The Poor planning with flights (not poor choices like Uchenna & joyce's) that effected in reality three episodes and took even more drama away from each of those episodes.

3. The use of the extra tasks.  Having teams able to use a Fast Forward more then once.  Yuck.  Having an Intersection on a leg that already features a 4 hour separation.  Yuck.  And the unusual placement (if legitimate) of the Non eliminations.

4.  The casting.  For something that was promoted as the Best of the Best, they weren't even close.  Based on performance not even half the teams should have been cast.  And in trying to create a Best of cast that also came close to the typical cast of a season (An older team, a gay team, an african american team, fir female teams, an everyman team, fit younger teams, ect) they didn't real cast that well. 

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2010, 01:02:27 PM »
I also agree that All-Stars was a below average season. Even though I wasn't spoiled, I knew it was going to be an NEL or who was going to be eliminated by the first commercial break in Episodes 6-11.

Most of my reasons have been stated by mswood, but here's my take. I personally believe that Teri/Ian and Joe/Bill could have gone further in the race had not been for the flight mess-ups. Also, it seriously messed up the flow of Episode 6-8 and forced the producers to pull some obvious bunching at the last moment. In a similar note, Uchenna/Joyce's early mercy elim left us with 2 back to back F4 NELs. That's not exciting to watch.

Finally, the returning cast. There were no major story arcs to follow (it seemed as if the teams just went on the race for fun), taking the punch out of this season. (Potentially a reason for why recruited teams don't work; they just don't have a storyline to follow.) And no, I don't mean petty inter-team drama, I mean intra-team relationships.

Offline Chameleon777

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2010, 01:33:29 PM »
PRIME MOMENT IN ALL-STARS:

When Charla/Mirna beat Rob/Amber to the Pitstop and eliminated them!!!!!

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2010, 01:35:33 PM »
ok.... we're getting off topic. *yawn*
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline kadilahopper

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2010, 03:51:56 PM »
Yes we are cocoa.  I, myself seem to get longwinded when I have an opinion.  I also tend to digress from the original thought.  I don't know when 18 will be cast or whether they will have casting calls or applications.  If Peach is right there will be no need for either.  I want TAR to go back to its roots and cast non-spotlight citizens.  These types of teams don't care a rat's behind about the camera men following them. They're not concerned with appearances or monitoring their speech.  They are there to win a million dollars.  That is the cast I hope they give us in 18.  If there is no casting call, then I guess I won't get my wish.  Longwinded again, huh.  Sorry.  I did stay somewhat on topic.  :<)

Offline TARdevotee

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2010, 03:58:57 AM »
Hmm, would anyone know when applications for the spring cycles of the Race are normally released? When were they released last year for season 16? I refuse to start freaking out about former racers coming back until it's actually confirmed!  :neener: