Author Topic: If they were to do Heroes vs. Villains for The Amazing Race?  (Read 36591 times)

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: If they were to do Heroes vs. Villains for The Amazing Race?
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2010, 07:18:36 AM »
Previous references in this thread nominate Luke/Margie, Charla/Mirna, Colin/Christie and Rob/Amber as villains. It's probably impossible to agree on a common definition for what constitutes villain behavior, but I can tell you that i do not believe that being ultra competitive, which all of those 4 teams were, is sufficient to cast a team as a villain. I regard none of those 4 teams as villains. To me, it takes an extra dimension of nastiness, which all of the teams Jonathan/Victoria, Chip/Reichen, Lyn/Karlyn and Joe/Bill in AR1 each demonstrated.

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2010, 09:19:09 AM »
Its pretty difficult if not impossible to separate the heroes from the villains in TAR. Its sort of like trying to figure out who the villains are in an Olympic marathon. I think you have favourites and underdogs - but not villains and heroes.

If anything the heroes are the racers and the villains are the TAR detectives that try to spoil the race.
Which could make an interesting series maybe.
People racing around the globe while others try to catch them and spoil their adventure???? If one of the detectives photographs you, you are eliminated from the race! Maybe it could be called "Catch Me"?
Ooops - that name is taken, isn't it Bert?

From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2010, 10:07:09 AM »
If anything the heroes are the racers and the villains are the TAR detectives that try to spoil the race   are the people who try to stop the TAR Detectives from spoiling the race.
Which could make an interesting series maybe.

FIXED. :lol3:

CATCH ME
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2010, 10:17:04 AM »
What's CATCH ME?? :hearts: :lol3:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2010, 11:05:18 AM »
Click the link, Joab! :tup:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2010, 01:56:07 PM »
If we define hero as a person that acts completely in a selfless way, the only Heroes team would be Erwin and Godwin since they actively sacrificed their chances of staying in the race by helping the teams in their alliance.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2010, 08:18:13 AM »
Heroes and Villains are subjective....

Offline thespicdatum

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2010, 11:20:50 PM »
Instead of HvsV, I'd like to see Phil Keoghan and Jeff Probst switch positions in hosting their shows. ;D

That would be amazing.

Jeff saying: "You're the last team to arrive"

and

Phil: "The tribe has spoken"

lol

Offline Mandoli

• hahahaha NO!
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2010, 12:28:15 AM »
Phil: "The tribe has spoken"

Followed up by the eyebrow raise. :lol:
I thought that when we fought, I was to blame
Now I know you play a different game
I've seen you dance with danger; still wanting more
Add another number to the score

Offline banredbeans

• Amazing Racer
  • RFF VIP
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2010, 02:50:58 PM »
Editing is what makes a hero or villain.   If fellow racers or production got to vote you would see a different outcome.  Some of the racers I have met who were villians are so nice(Jonathan, Ray, Steve) and others who came off as being heroes are complete villians. :knuckles:

Offline Competitor

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2010, 04:37:20 PM »
Editing is what makes a hero or villain.   If fellow racers or production got to vote you would see a different outcome.  Some of the racers I have met who were villians are so nice(Jonathan, Ray, Steve) and others who came off as being heroes are complete villians. :knuckles:

I agree. From all indications, Terrence from season 13 got a horrible edit. Many people that post here and have met him say that he is a wonderful guy. Nonetheless, they can't put words in your mouth. Things are said sometimes and they really come back to haunt racers. That's part of reality tv.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2010, 06:33:05 PM »

Thanks Tammy!! :hearts: Amen to that racer wisdom.

Editing hasn't seemed quite as blatant the last few seasons though...I seem to have heard fewer edits of words inserted into sentences...or heard OF less examples of something that was said in innocence being used totally out of context and thus sounding much worse.... Or maybe the racers are just giving them the needed soundbites without resorting to "funky" edits  :funny:

Editing can definitely make or break a team though....

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Paron

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2010, 07:25:38 PM »
A little bit of TARCon 9 slipping into this?

Offline banredbeans

• Amazing Racer
  • RFF VIP
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2010, 06:42:33 AM »
Paron I wasn't even thinking about Fran and Barry as villians.  They were just total snobs.

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #64 on: July 07, 2010, 10:56:31 PM »
Paron I wasn't even thinking about Fran and Barry as villians.  They were just total snobs.

Huh? What happened with them at TARcon? :ascared
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Paron

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2010, 11:06:44 PM »

Carissa wanted to have her picture taken with them, but they refused (allegedly to the point of bringing her to tears).  Ruined all of the good feelings she'd felt for them.

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2010, 11:57:35 PM »

Carissa wanted to have her picture taken with them, but they refused (allegedly to the point of bringing her to tears).  Ruined all of the good feelings she'd felt for them.

:o :o :o
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline banredbeans

• Amazing Racer
  • RFF VIP
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #67 on: July 08, 2010, 11:26:32 AM »
Billy tried to shake Barry's hand and he turned away.  I tried to make conversation to them about how I live in CT and they used to live near me and she totally brushed me off saying they live in Colorado and walked away.  I don't care if they never watched the show and had no clue we are on it but to refuse a kid a hand shake or picture when you are at a function with fans is not nice.  Carissa was very hurt because she really liked them on the race.
The rest of season 9 couldn't have been nicer.

Offline Snooky

• Beware of Spooks!
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Online Reality Games Yuniverse
« Reply #68 on: July 08, 2010, 12:58:52 PM »
Billy tried to shake Barry's hand and he turned away.  I tried to make conversation to them about how I live in CT and they used to live near me and she totally brushed me off saying they live in Colorado and walked away.  I don't care if they never watched the show and had no clue we are on it but to refuse a kid a hand shake or picture when you are at a function with fans is not nice.  Carissa was very hurt because she really liked them on the race.
The rest of season 9 couldn't have been nicer.
That's too bad Tammy, they were one of my favorites too till I heard this. :(

Offline GreeneTeam

• Amazing Racers
  • RFF VIP
  • RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2010, 04:57:52 PM »
We'll take Heroes or Villians as a moniker....just give us another shot!!! ;). Keep up the great work with the Fan Forum!!!  XOXOXO

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #70 on: July 11, 2010, 06:59:26 PM »
Gaghan's and Greene's, I'd vote for that!! :yess:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2010, 07:54:29 PM »
Maybe in a distant future Billy and Carissa will come back in All-Stars 5 or something lol
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

AmazingDT

« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2010, 10:58:00 PM »
Maybe in a distant future Billy and Carissa will come back in All-Stars 5 or something lol

That would be so cool!

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #73 on: July 24, 2010, 03:02:30 AM »
The thing about a concept like "Heroes vrs Villains" is that at some point almost every team does something that might be considered under handed.  From trying to get another's cab, to blocking or cutting in line, to lying, to breaking your word, to misleading other teams, to trying to enlist locals to hamper other teams (surprisingly this has actually happened), ect

But so much of what we see is very subjective and can be enhanced by editing.

Then we are put in the position of do we think a team is a villain do to their attitude or should we limit it to just their actions. 

Take Rob & Amber, Rob's actions as a racer (like bribing a driver to let them out first and not release the other sections door was a crappy move and one several racers agreed with including Uchenna & Joyce as was taking another teams cab), but personally his attitude towards the other racers made him a villain in my book, more then his racing.  Just as Lynn & Alex (from the same season) humor, often went to a fairly negative place.

For others it might be more how they treat each other or how teams treat locals that might put them in some people's lists for Villain. 

And of course all of these things are subjective.

Take Charla & Mirna and Ron & Christina.  Both have large groups that love or hate them.  While I loved seeing Charla (and Mirna) have to overcome the disadvantage that Charla's height puts on their team, I found how they interacted with each other, with some locals and with other racers to often be utterly vile. 

Ron & Christina have fans that loved to see Ron change in how he treated his daughter over the course of the season (which I did as well), but the fact that in the episodes, and in the clips we see him in 8 out of 11 episodes) be mean or rude to either his daughter, locals, fellow racers and even race personnel utterly appalling.  But many completely disagree with me.

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #74 on: July 24, 2010, 03:20:29 AM »
Ron & Christina have fans that loved to see Ron change in how he treated his daughter over the course of the season (which I did as well), but the fact that in the episodes, and in the clips we see him in 8 out of 11 episodes) be mean or rude to either his daughter, locals, fellow racers and even race personnel utterly appalling.  But many completely disagree with me.

My source of dislike comes from the single pharse, seemingly uttered whenever things got slightly difficult "Daddy..." to which, Ron would naturally reply "Hernia, hernia, hernia, hernia" (repeat ad naseum)