Author Topic: U-Turn = Automatic Elimination?  (Read 6984 times)

Offline Competitor

• RFF Full Member
U-Turn = Automatic Elimination?
« on: May 18, 2010, 06:04:51 PM »
Hey All,

Anybody know the percentages of people who actually survive getting U-turned? I know in TAR16 that Carol and Brandy as well as Joe and Heidi were eliminated in the leg that they got U-turned. I don't remember a U-turn in TAR15 and I know Kris and Amanda were gone after Margie and Luke U-turned them in season 14. I can't remember much before then. You would think that the producers would occasionally work a Non Elimination Leg into the same legs that have U-turns but we haven't seen that in a while.

AmazingDT

Re: U-Turn = Automatic Elimination?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 06:42:56 PM »
there were a total of 9 U turns so far

7 were used, 5 were ELimination

of all U turns (used and non used,) about 56 % were ELs.
of used U turns 71 percent were ELs

(sam revealed tat on leg 3 (Tar 15) there was a blind u turn
it was used but the target was ahead of them

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 06:49:50 PM »
Here we go again..... :groan:
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 09:42:55 PM »
Hey All,

Anybody know the percentages of people who actually survive getting U-turned? I know in TAR16 that Carol and Brandy as well as Joe and Heidi were eliminated in the leg that they got U-turned. I don't remember a U-turn in TAR15 and I know Kris and Amanda were gone after Margie and Luke U-turned them in season 14. I can't remember much before then. You would think that the producers would occasionally work a Non Elimination Leg into the same legs that have U-turns but we haven't seen that in a while.

I would think so, but what would happen to Joe/Heidi if they can't complete both sides of the detour? Go for the 4-hour penalty I guess.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 10:17:34 PM »
The U-Turn would be best played when both Detours are relatively near each other. IMO, Jen & Kisha could have survived their U-Turn if they hadn't gotten lost.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline everbloom

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 10:38:08 PM »
The U-Turn would be best played when both Detours are relatively near each other. IMO, Jen & Kisha could have survived their U-Turn if they hadn't gotten lost.

Actually I think they also got killed in the RB. They were still in the lead when they completed the 2nd detour and when they arrived at the RB. Then, there's that potty break... :groan:
TAR 17:
Brook/Claire, Nat/Kat, Jill/Thomas

TARA 4
Richard/Richard, Claire/Michelle, Dimple/Sunaina

OMG!! I finally found the cowboys' Facebook fan page!![/url]

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 03:20:44 AM »
Hey All,

I would think so, but what would happen to Joe/Heidi if they can't complete both sides of the detour? Go for the 4-hour penalty I guess.

It's a 24-hour penalty...

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 02:36:38 PM »
Hey All,

It's a 24-hour penalty...

for not completing either side of the detour. Skipping the U-turn is 4 hours IIRC (though it has never been confirmed by the producers).

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 03:41:12 PM »

Well, producers know where to place them, and I'm almost sure they follow the pattern you said: Far places=NO U-Turn

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 04:38:54 PM »
Danooky,
I remember it differently. Kisha/Jen lost because they could not find the most direct way to the closest part of Niao Chao Bird's Nest Stadium stadium  to the back side where the pit stop was located. CBS made a big deal out of the "Jen had to pee' incident", but I think they would have finished last even without that after completing the eat-exotic-creatures ROADBLOCK. It was not because of The DETOUR, which was earlier and both ends of it (the restaurant and the opera house) were so close that teams were directed to go on foot from the Huguang Huiguan restaurant to Wen Chang Ge. That did not prevent them from screwing up finding the correct entrance Wen Chang Ge for a reported 3 hours.

arun1125

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, 07:51:04 PM »
I think only 2 teams have overcome the U turn, Jet and Cord and Ken and Tina.

Offline GonzaloChileno

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010, 07:56:32 PM »

They were never u-turned, the only team that survived the u-turn is Maya & Amichai (Israel).
Charla&MirnaLover<3

Offline retard boi

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2010, 10:32:42 PM »

They were never u-turned, the only team that survived the u-turn is Maya & Amichai (Israel).

I wanted to mention it :tup:. It's our national pride  :neener:
I will state that the legs in TAR Israel were longer than the American version (I don't know about the actual time but they had doubled the number of tasks) and also the team that came last in this episode had to receive medical care during the leg and still came about a minute behind.
I think that in the American version overcoming a u-turn is almost impossible, especially if you are in the bottom of the pack to begin with, mostly because of the time spend on transportation between the tasks. The only case that a team was close to overcoming a u-turn in the American version was the sisters in TAR14, and that's only because Jaime & Cara really screwed up.

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2010, 01:40:36 AM »

Are u talking about the speed bump or U-turn?

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2010, 02:37:54 AM »
Well, Kisha and Jen would have survived the U-TURN if they didn't waste too much time after the Detour. They were the only team, i believe.. to be U-TURNed and not complete the U-TURN in last place.

Lorena and Jason
Amanda and Kris
Kisha and Jen
Heidi and Joe
Carol and Brandy

All didn't survive the U-TURN.

And after compiling this list.. i realized.. no all-male team has been U-TURNed yet. :ascared

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2010, 03:27:30 AM »
And after compiling this list.. i realized.. no all-male team has been U-TURNed yet. :ascared

And no all-male team has used a U-Turn where they had to identify themselves. Only the cops used it.