Author Topic: New Guy with a Question RE: TAR Casting Habits  (Read 4561 times)

Offline Competitor

• RFF Full Member
New Guy with a Question RE: TAR Casting Habits
« on: May 17, 2010, 12:12:37 PM »
Hey guys,

I'm a huge TAR fan who just stumbled upon the board yesterday. I have a question about the producers' casting habits. Do you think that the cast demographics are pretty much in proportion to the teams that apply. IE: A whole lot of couples and sporadic others indicates that overwhelmingly large numbers of couples apply as opposed to all girls teams or all male teams.

I have read about three pages of posts and love the boards! Look forward to great conversations about TAR.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 09:40:53 PM by Competitor »

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
Re: New Guy with a Question RE: TAR Casting Habits
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 12:32:36 PM »
Hey guys,

I'm a huge TAR fan who just stumbled upon the board yesterday. I have a question about the producers' casting habits. Do you think that the cast demographics are pretty much in proportion to the teams that apply. IE: A whole lot of couples and sporadic others indicates that overwhelmingly large numbers of couples apply as opposed to all girls teams or all male teams. I'm a male and I plan on applying the next go around and I'm debating between trying to take my fiance or a very good friend. I'm 24 and my fiance is 22. My friend is 35. Do they shy away from the younger all male teams that are more athletic? I might not have a choice between the two depending on work schedules and availability.

I have read about three pages of posts and love the boards! Look forward to great conversations about TAR.

The producers care about teams that will be able to bring in the ratings. Are you good at making alliances and enemies? That seems to be the gold standard nowadays  :snicker:

Seriously, though, the most important thing is that your team needs to have a compelling story arc. How is your relationship with your fiancée vs. that with your friend? Lifelong relationships are always good.

Offline Competitor

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 12:38:40 PM »
Appreciate it.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 01:35:54 PM »
Get an agent!!!!
Matthew 7:15

Offline AmazingRace

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yup, we didn't win. Damn.
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 07:11:54 AM »
Apparently they like lots of Beauty Queens on the race!

Go Miss Blah Blah Blah!  :lol:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 09:45:05 AM »
Competitor, please check your PM's. :waves:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Mug Costanza

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 03:56:35 AM »
Hey guys, sorry to resurrect this thread. I'm another new(-ish...) guy who just has another quick question about TAR casting habits.

What's the deal with the length of the application video? I think in the past it used to be three minutes, but now they say two minutes, and I've definitely seen some videos of people who ended up making it on the show that were well over two minutes. In general, are they really stringent regarding length or is there some flexibility? I definitely plan on applying for the show soon; if I submit a video that's two minutes, thirty seconds, will it immediately discarded as the application form say it will?

I think the earliest season I would be able to apply for would be 20 or 21, but it's still good to know this information in advance so I can start planning my video accordingly. Thanks in advance. :)
"I defy you to come up with a better name than Seven!"
"Alright... how 'bout Mug? Mug Costanza!"

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 07:22:28 AM »
The TAR 17 application reads:

Applications MUST be written clearly and legibly or typed and must be accompanied by a videotape or DVD that satisfies the following requirements:
LENGTH: MAXIMUM OF THREE MINUTES PER TEAM. Anything over three minutes will not be considered. Teammates should appear together on camera.

In the old days, scuttlebutt was that 3 min 1 sec would be trashed. I have no real idea, I know some recruited vids are longer.

IF I was Queen of casting :crown , I would look at the application in part to see who can follow rules and read and understand directions. I would be hesitant to cast those who couldn't.

Good Luck!!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Mug Costanza

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 10:50:33 PM »
The TAR 17 application reads:

Applications MUST be written clearly and legibly or typed and must be accompanied by a videotape or DVD that satisfies the following requirements:
LENGTH: MAXIMUM OF THREE MINUTES PER TEAM. Anything over three minutes will not be considered. Teammates should appear together on camera.

In the old days, scuttlebutt was that 3 min 1 sec would be trashed. I have no real idea, I know some recruited vids are longer.

IF I was Queen of casting :crown , I would look at the application in part to see who can follow rules and read and understand directions. I would be hesitant to cast those who couldn't.

Good Luck!!

Double-checked the TAR17 application, just to make sure. It really is three minutes. I could've sworn that it said two minutes the last time I looked over the application...  :duno: Well, regardless, thanks for the help, peach!
"I defy you to come up with a better name than Seven!"
"Alright... how 'bout Mug? Mug Costanza!"

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2010, 12:36:45 AM »

Then where would we get the occasional penalties at the end of the leg?  :lol:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2010, 12:38:24 AM »
No fun if they don't READ THE CLUE?? :lol:

I am a fan of intelligent play.... but stress does funny things to the teams!
RFF's Golden Rule: