Author Topic: TAR 17 Speculation  (Read 342350 times)

Offline natalie

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • My favorite Reality Shows
Re: TAR 17 Speculation
« Reply #750 on: November 12, 2010, 09:06:42 PM »
I am wondering where these u turns are,

unless they realized that whenever its used the team is a goner and dropped it to 1.

I wish it was 4 u turns  :snicker:

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #751 on: November 13, 2010, 04:57:46 PM »
I was wondering how many legs will happen on this race, because usually each race stays in a country teice three times, if 12 legs happen this time that will not happen, so maybe 13?

I don't think so because if you look at the timeline you will see an accurate picture of this season. We know the timeline is accurate because CBS confirmed that the final airs on the 12th of Dec.
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline Teerin

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #752 on: November 16, 2010, 09:32:40 PM »
Hello guys.  :waves:

I've been watching TAR since season 5 and been reading RFF for a long time and decided to join. Too bad my favorite team this season (Michael/Kevin) was already eliminated.

Anyway, I was wondering why M/K wasn't at this episode's Elimination Station where G/M was eliminated and called in. They were sent to Elimination Station last episode, but weren't shown nor mentioned at all in this episode. Could it be possible that they are decoys? I know they usually don't get the Elimination Station or first 5 eliminated teams to do it but who knows? If I'm not mistaken someone had a "source" that had a possibly sighting of M/K as decoys in South Korea(?). Just a speculation.

Offline Teerin

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #753 on: November 16, 2010, 09:42:03 PM »

I've been watching TAR since season 5 and been reading RFF for a long time and decided to join. Too bad my favorite team this season (Michael/Kevin) was already eliminated.

Anyway, I was wondering why M/K wasn't at this episode's Elimination Station where G/M was eliminated and called in. They were sent to Elimination Station last episode, but weren't shown nor mentioned at all in this episode. Could it be possible that they are decoys? I know they usually don't get the Elimination Station or first 5 eliminated teams to do it but who knows? If I'm not mistaken someone had a "source" that had a possibly sighting of M/K as decoys in South Korea(?). Just a speculation.

Or maybe I'm overthinking here. Perhaps it could mean M/K arrive at Elimination Station after G/M called in?  :lol:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #754 on: November 16, 2010, 09:44:42 PM »

Or maybe I'm overthinking here. Perhaps it could mean M/K arrive at Elimination Station after G/M called in?  :lol:

Bingo!! They are not decoys,...and that "sighting" was unfortunately never confirmed in any way.

But :bigwelcome to RFF! Glad you de-lurked!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #755 on: November 16, 2010, 09:46:53 PM »
It is "almost" physically impossible for Michael and Kevin to get to the villa in Isla Mujeres BEFORE that call from Gary and Mallory.
Matthew 7:15

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #756 on: November 16, 2010, 10:32:31 PM »
Why do you think that the couple the Oman man talked to was Chad and Stephanie rather than Jill and Thomas? Chad and Stephanie have never worn turqoise. They're Gators fans, people; they only wear blue or orange.

Chad and Stephanie in Dhaka

Jill and Thomas in Dhaka

I would say that the orginal identification was correct after all. Especially that we know now that they one the leg in Oman and were probably first to the airport to book flights. Chad's shirt is not tourquoise, but close enough to it for me. Certainly closer than Thomas's shirt that day.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 10:39:53 PM by DrRox »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #757 on: November 16, 2010, 10:56:59 PM »
The team turquoise was an RFF ID I believe, not the source's own terminology for the ID.

At the time he was first contacted, the only pics we had were our Logan ones, which were less than ideal of Jill and Thomas.

Once the better pics were sent to him, he quickly said J/T.

I think it was J/T...but hope to find out one day!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #758 on: November 16, 2010, 11:22:57 PM »
The team turquoise was an RFF ID I believe, not the source's own terminology for the ID.

At the time he was first contacted, the only pics we had were our Logan ones, which were less than ideal of Jill and Thomas.

Once the better pics were sent to him, he quickly said J/T.

I think it was J/T...but hope to find out one day!

Send the source those two pics and see which one......lol

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #759 on: November 17, 2010, 12:40:08 AM »
I already did...that is why the ID was changed to Jill and Thomas. :tup:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #760 on: November 17, 2010, 01:32:55 AM »
I already did...that is why the ID was changed to Jill and Thomas. :tup:

You sent pictures with the same clothes they were wearing that day? Hard to miss that T shirt with IRISH on it.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #761 on: November 17, 2010, 01:54:51 AM »
No...that would be pre Pitstop, clothes should be different when they go back to the airport. But he had excellent pics to compare. :tup:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #762 on: November 17, 2010, 02:18:02 AM »
I am not disputing you......but the clothes they had on when they landed in Dhaka.....are the clothes they had on in the airport in Oman when there were seen.....

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #763 on: November 17, 2010, 05:25:23 AM »
Can you show me where to find that info please?
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #764 on: November 18, 2010, 12:36:29 PM »
Re the TAR 17 Finale location.

Some info has come to light:

In Seoul, a production person was overheard on the phone discussing the countdown, and the finale, and the use of THREE helicopters.

While I am very aware that helicopters are used every day for overhead shots, the specification of THREE leads me to wonder if our last three teams were possibly transported by helicopter from LAX to our Finale location? If so, they have a much wider range and could have been outside of LA for the actual finale tasks....

Remember in the TAR 11 final, the teams flew from Guam to Honolulu but were helicoptered to Lanai for the Detour and then flew to San Francisco for the final task. Finals can be pretty spread out, this kind of final set up has been used in other years too.
Such as TAR 9 when they came from Tokyo to Anchorage and then back to Denver or TAR 10 in which the final included Paris. TAR 6 final was very similar to 11 because they went from China to Hawaii, performed tasks there, then flew to Chicago to the finish line.
Last years was just an easy one. In the past few years they have been keeping the final in the same place but they could be going back to old ways in this one.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 12:53:09 PM by the-pr0phet »

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #765 on: November 18, 2010, 03:02:58 PM »
The intermediate destination trend was done mainly to ease the burden of going through US customs; given how busy LAX is, I doubt they would just use it as an intermediate stop for customs (especially since they would have crew doubling back to get back to WRP).

Offline woden

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #766 on: November 18, 2010, 03:10:13 PM »
Remember in the TAR 11 final, the teams flew from Guam to Honolulu but were helicoptered to Lanai for the Detour and then flew to San Francisco for the final task. Finals can be pretty spread out, this kind of final set up has been used in other years too.
Such as TAR 9 when they came from Tokyo to Anchorage and then back to Denver or TAR 10 in which the final included Paris. TAR 6 final was very similar to 11 because they went from China to Hawaii, performed tasks there, then flew to Chicago to the finish line.
Last years was just an easy one. In the past few years they have been keeping the final in the same place but they could be going back to old ways in this one.

Also worth keeping in mind: TAR 9 was a two hour finale and TAR 10/11 were 28 and 27 day races. With the roughly 21-day race and the one hour finale pretty firmly in place, a 3-destination finale doesn't seem likely to come back.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #767 on: November 18, 2010, 03:10:53 PM »
The intermediate destination trend was done mainly to ease the burden of going through US customs; given how busy LAX is, I doubt they would just use it as an intermediate stop for customs (especially since they would have crew doubling back to get back to WRP).

But with the choppers in the air we have to consider other, more rural areas in Cali. There are plenty of areas like Death Valley or Yosemite. Those are probably too heavily trafficked though, we would have a sighting.
What are the logistics involved in flying a chopper over the border to Mexico and then hopping back over for the finish line?
Or there is always San Diego or Phoenix, landing at LAX could be a throw off.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #768 on: November 18, 2010, 03:15:57 PM »

Also worth keeping in mind: TAR 9 was a two hour finale and TAR 10/11 were 28 and 27 day races. With the roughly 21-day race and the one hour finale pretty firmly in place, a 3-destination finale doesn't seem likely to come back.

In TAR 9 it looked like a two hour final on TV but leg 11 was a regular leg and Lake Yamanaka was a regular PS. In this era they would just have played the Japan leg in the previous week. All the stops that I mentioned happened in episode 12.

Offline florida

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #769 on: November 18, 2010, 03:20:41 PM »
Where would you take a helicopter ride from L.A. out to....?  [These sound the most credible.]

We also are highly trained in aerial photography and video work for film and television. If you need a helicopter for a background scene or any sort of advertising or promotional campaign, look no further than Elite Helicopter Tours

http://www.elitehelicoptertours.com/  (Out of Van Nuys)

They also do custom jobs.
------------------------------------
There is also this company which does charter flights to Big Bear and Palm Springs (to name a few)...

http://www.lahelicopters.com/flight-services-charter.html  (Out of Long Beach)

And this one, out of Hawthorne (just down the road from LAX)

http://www.lahelicopters.com/flight-services-charter.html
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 03:40:34 PM by florida »

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #770 on: November 18, 2010, 03:53:46 PM »
First, I think you need to know WHY they took helicopters............they never have before when coming back to the US mainland.

Offline florida

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #771 on: November 18, 2010, 04:36:36 PM »
First, I think you need to know WHY they took helicopters............they never have before when coming back to the US mainland.

LA is a huge, urbanized area with plenty of traffic to delay a team unfairly. (It's a great place to start a leg, since there are no tasks except getting to the airport.) Theoretically, they would rent the helicopters to get the teams on an even playing field instead of relying on taxi and traffic luck, and to get them out of the metropolis itself for a wider array of tasks (like the zipline fun and woodsy detours in TAR 13). Even though I've never been nor lived in SoCal, I'd think it would be logistically difficult to get a proper race course set up in the LA urban area because it's so spread out. Other seasons seemed to have a more concentrated course for the final tasks.

We've never had them finish in the LA area, either.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #772 on: November 18, 2010, 04:49:52 PM »

LA is a huge, urbanized area with plenty of traffic to delay a team unfairly. (It's a great place to start a leg, since there are no tasks except getting to the airport.) Theoretically, they would rent the helicopters to get the teams on an even playing field instead of relying on taxi and traffic luck, and to get them out of the metropolis itself for a wider array of tasks (like the zipline fun and woodsy detours in TAR 13). Even though I've never been nor lived in SoCal, I'd think it would be logistically difficult to get a proper race course set up in the LA urban area because it's so spread out. Other seasons seemed to have a more concentrated course for the final tasks.

We've never had them finish in the LA area, either.

Well I certainly think that too....but also to get away from our "Airport Man"......lol  Maybe it worked and maybe it didnt........somehow I dont think it did!!!

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #773 on: November 18, 2010, 05:03:18 PM »
Talking about the LA airport reminded me of the last trip we took there. Even though my husband lived in the outskirts of LA for years, after landing we got in the rental, drove out of the airport and were immediately lost and in a really bad area. I wouldn't think letting the racers drive themselves to a location would be a good idea.   :umn:

If we knew they flew into Ontario that would be different.
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline florida

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #774 on: November 18, 2010, 05:06:55 PM »
Well I certainly think that too....but also to get away from our "Airport Man"......lol 

I totally forgot about him lol.