Author Topic: TAR 17 Speculation  (Read 343507 times)

Offline Paron

• RFF Sr. Member
Re: TAR 17 Speculation
« Reply #650 on: July 08, 2010, 09:08:22 PM »
THIS is all I have to say about this latest cast release. Posted in a more appropriate place so as not to go off-topic.
Read that.  Did not care for it.

At least she applied rather than be recruited.  That's all that matters to me.  And if Brook could get to the F3 with Claire, she'll obviously show herself to have some game, not be dragged there like the likes of Dandrew (yuck).

Offline Paron

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #651 on: July 09, 2010, 07:41:08 AM »
Yeah Macaroons! Our first F3 team identified! The best part I think is that Brook is so focused on being on the first all female team to win and we know she has a one in 3 shot.
From watching the video, I think Brook certainly seems determined to make that happen.  And I hope she and Claire can do that.  If not they, then the Blue Girls taking it would be awesome, as well.

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #652 on: July 09, 2010, 07:14:32 PM »
Well, it looks like I can't even make a comment in the appropriate place without it being "off-topic." So much for opinions. What is this, a dictatorship? :groan:
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #653 on: July 09, 2010, 07:47:19 PM »
Spoiler threads are for SPOILERS only. Not anyone's personal opinions of the cast. Those can be placed in speculation for now, or in the contestant threads themselves after the CBS cast reveal.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #654 on: July 10, 2010, 10:27:28 AM »
THIS is all I have to say about this latest cast release. Posted in a more appropriate place so as not to go off-topic.

As long as the "mactors" are competent racers with likeable personalities -- and as long as they applied and weren't recruited -- I don't really mind that they're "mactors".  Brook apparently applied and seems to have been trying to get on TAR for some time and her placement indicates that she must have at least some game.  So as long as she has a likeable personality (and so does Claire), I have no problem with her being a former beauty queen at all.  I guess I wouldn't have a major problem if she doesn't have a great personality, but at least she should be competent and she knows what she's getting into.

Belle Book

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #655 on: July 11, 2010, 08:05:39 PM »
I just say we wait for the first couple of episodes instead of jumping to conclusions about the teams before they are even officially revealed. If the team wants to be in The Amazing Race and shows it, that's good enough for me. The best teams IMO are the ones that enjoy the experience, for example Margie & Luke and Dan & Jordan. I don't care if they're mactors or recruited as long as they recognize that TAR is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to travel around the world and not just a way to launch or propel a career in Hollywood.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #656 on: July 11, 2010, 08:10:38 PM »
Amen to THAT!  :ythat:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #657 on: July 11, 2010, 11:41:15 PM »
I just say we wait for the first couple of episodes instead of jumping to conclusions about the teams before they are even officially revealed. If the team wants to be in The Amazing Race and shows it, that's good enough for me. The best teams IMO are the ones that enjoy the experience, for example Margie & Luke and Dan & Jordan. I don't care if they're mactors or recruited as long as they recognize that TAR is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to travel around the world and not just a way to launch or propel a career in Hollywood.

Word! What happened to "Don't judge a book by its cover"?

I do feel sorry for the people on the show, though...knowing that everything you do can be warped and heavily scrutinized, and inevitably there will always be someone out there hating on you (I'm somewhat guilty of that too).
Like I said, criticize their racing strategy/actions or the producer's antics, but don't jump to conclusions about them in real life.
I'm sure most of these people are fine fellows who are willing to sit down and have a chat with you about their experiences.

Personal Example: TAR 6. Heard bad things about the cast. My conclusion after the race: they're definitely interesting people (your opinion may differ), and they did look like they had a fun time on the race.

OTOH, I will have to disagree on the stuntcasting. I have no logic to support it, but something just rubs me the wrong way knowing that people who want to join will get shunned. Of course, I trust the producers will be able to put on an interesting show. However, I do love the quote in the Mactors thread saying that "All teams are ultimately recruited."
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 11:47:09 PM by Caelestor »

Offline tobinator

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #658 on: July 13, 2010, 08:38:00 AM »
If the teams arrived in Stockholm on LH 3000 at 9.45am, they should be in absolutely no hurry to get onto the connecting flight to Tallinn (departing at 12.30pm) or Reykjavik (departing at 2.10pm). All other countries in Europe (I checked all 49) are better served from Frankfurt than from Stockholm. These clues strongly suggest that Sweden is the final destination country (even if Stockholm is not the final destination city), at least for Leg 4.

What I hope to see, though, is that teams travel overland (or over-sea) for Leg 5, ending up in Norway, or better yet, Denmark. Getting from these two countries to St Petersburg on 5 Jun does require a connection in Stockholm. (Riga and Helsinki, on the other hand, do not.) The timeline suggests that Legs 4 and 5 might not be too geographically close to one another, if the extra day was not a result of Eyjafjallajokull screwing things up...

The teams have to clear customs in Frankfurt, so I don't know if LH3000 gives them enough time to make the connection. I suspect they might have been on the next flight LH 3002 DEP 9:55am ARR 11:51am

:winner  Looks good!

Arlanda photo EXIF data:

Thanks to walkingpneumonia!!

photo was taken 2010-06-01 12:02:50-04:00.
The camera was a HTC Eris which is sold by Verison in the US - don't think its available in Europe.

I'm trying to understand how to read the Exif time stamp.  I take 12:02:50-4:00 as being 12:02 EST which would make it 18:02 in Stockholm.  Being a CDMA phone, it makes sense it didn't pick up local time.

Perhaps the teams in the photo didn't make it out on the 31st or the only flight out of Stockholm to their destination city was in the evening.

-Tobinator

PS - Is there a way to get the pages across the top to show all pages rather than just the handful or do I have to submit it to RFF as an enhancement?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #659 on: July 13, 2010, 09:20:25 AM »

PS - Is there a way to get the pages across the top to show all pages rather than just the handful or do I have to submit it to RFF as an enhancement?

Not sure what you mean? Can you PM me and be more specific please?

And it looks as though we could have the other location in Sweden, in which case flights work...
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #660 on: July 13, 2010, 09:35:28 AM »
On Day one we climbed Bispen in Norway (with a guide of course)

« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 08:15:57 AM by TexasLady »
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline Aualagi

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #661 on: July 16, 2010, 11:18:27 AM »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #662 on: July 16, 2010, 02:17:12 PM »
Sounds like they stole your idea Aualagi!! :hearts:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #663 on: September 04, 2010, 01:57:53 AM »
Looking at the caps from the promo (thanks peach) I doubt the task in the water is at the starting line. The flag or whatever they are doing something with looks like it would fit very the jousting knights (purple with gold details). And they are as far as I know more related to the UK.

This also fits with the chronology of the promo. The first scene is the starting line, then we have the smart cars to the airport, followed by a shot from an airport bus. The next shot is the water task and to fit chronologically it should be after the flight.

To be fair after that comes the text followed by another smart car shot. Could it be that this last and out of order scene is included just because somebody says something fitting?

This is of course all speculation   :duno:

[edited to add] Another indication that the water task comes after the smart cars is that the teams look dry in the cars.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 03:51:27 AM by maf »

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #664 on: September 04, 2010, 08:20:06 AM »
I seem to recall that some of the teams changed clothes from what they were wearing at the start line to what they were wearing in the airport. Maybe because they got wet on the way to the airport?

From woden's excellent summary:
http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,21999.msg524127.html#msg524127

Stephanie/Chad Dating (initially wearing blue and black and changed into black at Boston airport)
Andie/Jenna: Dark hair, wearing red/maroon/black (changed into pink and blue at Boston airport)

The flag they are retrieving does look like one of the knight's standards - maybe its find a flag in Mass. then find the corresponding knight in England?
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #665 on: September 04, 2010, 08:43:50 AM »
Lots of the racers wore different clothes in the airport... And by reports they were all hot and sweaty.... but not wet.

The airport pics are all here if anyone want to compare. :tup:

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,21996.msg525799.html#msg525799
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #666 on: September 04, 2010, 09:55:45 AM »
I do not know where speculation about which teams look strong belongs. Since this is clearly speculation, although possibly not of the type the moderators intended for this thread, I am placing it here with the knowledge that it might get moved.

I have some thoughts on which 2 teams look like the ones who on paper and based on their brief videos alone appear to me to be the most likely to win. For the first time ever, it look like these two Female/Female teams:

Nat/Kat - they have it all: beauty, charm, incredible smarts (you trying learning to be an anesthesiologist), obvious physical fitness

Katie/Rachel - these beach volleyball players may not have the smarts of Nat and Kat, but they are professional athletes with a great deal of beauty that will attract all kinds of help throughout the Race

The Male/Male teams do not stand out at all. Ron/Tony have great braggadocio but may not be able to make it happen, Connor/Jonathan are OK but someone named Jonathan puts the hex on their team and Michael/Kevin do not appear to have any particular strengths except their father/son relationship.

The multiple Male/Female teams with hair stylists as the Female appear to me to be at a disadvantage. They talk the talk but can they walk the walk?   

I offer these observations in full knowledge that RFF has already posted summary information which makes it clear who will reach the finale and who won't. My attempt is to just put blinders on and look at it from the perspective of knowing nothing but what is known at the start line about the teams.

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #667 on: September 04, 2010, 10:26:14 AM »
I do not know where speculation about which teams look strong belongs. Since this is clearly speculation, although possibly not of the type the moderators intended for this thread, I am placing it here with the knowledge that it might get moved.

I have some thoughts on which 2 teams look like the ones who on paper and based on their brief videos alone appear to me to be the most likely to win. For the first time ever, it look like these two Female/Female teams:

Nat/Kat - they have it all: beauty, charm, incredible smarts (you trying learning to be an anesthesiologist), obvious physical fitness

Katie/Rachel - these beach volleyball players may not have the smarts of Nat and Kat, but they are professional athletes with a great deal of beauty that will attract all kinds of help throughout the Race

The Male/Male teams do not stand out at all. Ron/Tony have great braggadocio but may not be able to make it happen, Connor/Jonathan are OK but someone named Jonathan puts the hex on their team and Michael/Kevin do not appear to have any particular strengths except their father/son relationship.

The multiple Male/Female teams with hair stylists as the Female appear to me to be at a disadvantage. They talk the talk but can they walk the walk?   

I offer these observations in full knowledge that RFF has already posted summary information which makes it clear who will reach the finale and who won't. My attempt is to just put blinders on and look at it from the perspective of knowing nothing but what is known at the start line about the teams.

I think of the two all-female teams that look to have the best shot on paper and through videos, the one that has the better shot is Nat & Kat.  And I like that!

Belle Book

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #668 on: September 04, 2010, 11:45:20 AM »

These were exactly my observations as well. Maybe that's why the topics for the female teams are getting so much more attention than those of all the others. It seems as though the producers really do intend for this to be the season where a female team can finally win it all, and considering what the spoilers tell us, it seems like a really strong possibility this time around.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Paron

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #669 on: September 05, 2010, 01:49:41 AM »

These were exactly my observations as well. Maybe that's why the topics for the female teams are getting so much more attention than those of all the others. It seems as though the producers really do intend for this to be the season where a female team can finally win it all, and considering what the spoilers tell us, it seems like a really strong possibility this time around.
I think Brook & Claire's video should put them in the running for possibly having a shot, too.  Especially since they also talk about being the first team of that type to win.

And yeah, none of the three men's teams look like they have a shot, nor do any of the couples.

Offline krabbe

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #670 on: September 28, 2010, 03:48:55 PM »
So from Phil's interview on how the express pass affected the entire race, does this mean that Jill/Tom won?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #671 on: September 28, 2010, 03:51:10 PM »
You really think PHIL would give away the outcome?? :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #672 on: September 28, 2010, 04:07:51 PM »
So from Phil's interview on how the express pass affected the entire race, does this mean that Jill/Tom won?

?

Offline krabbe

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #673 on: September 28, 2010, 05:25:27 PM »
You really think PHIL would give away the outcome?? :lol:

Well he somewhat gave away the outcome last season.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #674 on: September 28, 2010, 05:33:33 PM »
??? I must have missed that part...link?
RFF's Golden Rule: