Author Topic: TAR 17 Speculation  (Read 343395 times)

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR 17 Speculation
« Reply #575 on: June 16, 2010, 03:15:23 AM »
or they're the actual teams connecting, with one other team connecting through somewhere else or just not seen?

Remember that in the last season the teams did not have any choice in which flight to take to end city. I guess production did that to ensure an exiting last leg where all teams arrive on the same flight. So if they follow that pattern then all three teams should be on the same flight.

Which would mean that either the spotted teams are decoys, or the spotter missed one team:-)

Offline Mrs Shrek

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #576 on: June 16, 2010, 04:50:50 AM »
Making the obvious suggestion here, is it possible LA's not the finish at all, and teams are just connecting? There's not that many flights between Seoul and the US, and if they finished in, like, the Midwest or somewhere, then you'd need to make a connection either on the west coast somewhere or in Vancouver. So it's possible the teams seen on the flight could either be decoys, and thus still have time to get elsewhere if they're flying ahead, or they're the actual teams connecting, with one other team connecting through somewhere else or just not seen?

There are a reasonable number of direct flights from Seoul within the period we were looking: Atlanta, Dulles, JFK, Dallas, O'Hare, San Fran, and of course LA. The crunch for me is that Production landed and were seen exiting by a reliable source at LAX this morning. So despite the lack of sightings today of actual contestants, at this stage we do believe that they did finish the race today, in the LA area, unfortunately without us having been able to track them at this point. We don't know yet if teams were actually on the same flight as production, or if they were decoy teams seen, with the contestants arriving on a different (unknown) flight.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 02:04:16 PM by Mrs Shrek »

Offline Competitor

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #577 on: June 16, 2010, 07:23:16 AM »
Making the obvious suggestion here, is it possible LA's not the finish at all, and teams are just connecting? There's not that many flights between Seoul and the US, and if they finished in, like, the Midwest or somewhere, then you'd need to make a connection either on the west coast somewhere or in Vancouver. So it's possible the teams seen on the flight could either be decoys, and thus still have time to get elsewhere if they're flying ahead, or they're the actual teams connecting, with one other team connecting through somewhere else or just not seen?

There are a reasonable number of direct flights from Seoul within the period we were looking: Atlanta, Dulles, JFK, Dallas, O'Hare, San Fran, and of course LA. The crunch for me is that Production landed and were seen exiting by a reliable source at LAX this morning. So despite the lack of sightings today of actual contestants, at this stage we do believe that they did finish the race today, in the LA area, unfortunately without us having been able to track them at this point. We don't know yet if teams were actually on the same flight as production, or if they were decoy teams seen, with the contestants arriving on a different (unknown) flight.

I may be missing something, but was production seen exiting LAX going to film or were they seen exiting LAX perhaps to go home? Perhaps the final leg was elsewhere and production was just going home?

If that were the case, with the quick turnaround...I would say the final leg would have to have been in Alaska or somewhere in the US that is as close to Seoul as you can get...
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 03:17:08 PM by TexasLady »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #578 on: June 16, 2010, 08:25:22 AM »
No...we know the times they were in Camp Casey, and reportedly no intermediate leg.

Production apparently looked like a wrap...just like last season. Some come home, some finish the job.

We are still working on this though, the times are a bit odd.

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline weihen

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #579 on: June 16, 2010, 08:30:35 AM »
look like Soul has only one leg,if this season has 12 episodes,maybe two possibility:double leg in Seoul or one more leg between Russia and China.

Offline Seattlite

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #580 on: June 16, 2010, 09:13:08 AM »
LA has been used so often in recent races it seems it would be tough for them to do anything and fly under the radar.  Perhaps they are nearby outside the city or down in San Diego. Anyone know and just protecting the finish line this time? Just asking.

Offline Paron

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #581 on: June 16, 2010, 01:12:12 PM »
Hi all.  i am new to this forum.  I guess this means Conner and Jonathan are not around?

They're either in 4th and far behind -- but then again, there are several other teams, including an all-female team in lime green who might be far behind as well -- or are already out by this point.  My guess is that they're already out and are either decoys or a late Elimination station team.
The thought just came to me this morning after someone pointed it out during my latest Sucks trip.  They might be a late Elimination Station team.  The spoiler who made the St. Petersburg flight sighting only mentioned seeing several coed and women's teams.  Nothing about a men's team or two being there.  And remember -- the guy (or girl) who'd made the sighting had been with the teams since pre-boarding, was on the flight with them, and even stayed with them through customs (he/she even interacted with Gary & Mallory), after which he/she parted ways with them.  He/she'd have had lots of time to look at the teams and spot a men's team if there was one.  Because he/she didn't mention any, I wonder if Connor & Jonathan (and, for that matter, Kenny & Kevin, too) left during the Sweden (or Sweden-area) legs?

As for the finale, it's amazing the F3 teams might've snuck in under our radars.  But with either the playoffs or championships going on, people were probably too focused on that to have seen them arrive.

"Met Phil Keoghan (Host of Amazing Race) yesterday, as a viewer I had great expectations for him as a person, they were surpassed 10-fold!!Ha"
Hmm.  Definitely sounds like the race is done, then.  Wonder what he was doing in AZ, though?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 01:33:01 PM by Paron »

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #582 on: June 16, 2010, 02:10:02 PM »
"Met [someone famous] yesterday, as a viewer I had great expectations for him as a person, they were surpassed 10-fold!!Ha"
Hmm.  Definitely sounds like the race is done, then.  Wonder what he was doing in [another state], though?

It looks like that poster was in LA.  He just graduated from college and has been working in LA.  It almost sounds like he may have had an interview and that's how he met that famous person.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 05:13:19 PM by chill_sd »

Offline Paron

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #583 on: June 16, 2010, 02:23:33 PM »
"Met Phil Keoghan (Host of Amazing Race) yesterday, as a viewer I had great expectations for him as a person, they were surpassed 10-fold!!Ha"
Hmm.  Definitely sounds like the race is done, then.  Wonder what he was doing in AZ, though?

It looks like that poster was in LA.  He just graduated from ASU and has been working for MTV.  It almost sounds like he may have had an interview and that's how he met Phil.
Oh, yeah, I guess that makes more sense.

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #584 on: June 16, 2010, 02:33:53 PM »
I think if you follow the tweet trail provided by our twitterer - you'll figure out that he (and some other PAs) had a 7:30am call in El Segundo yesterday...

Edit - the call was for 7:30 am on Monday in El Segundo - probably WRP HQ. Don't know where/when Tuesday's call was - but there was one.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 03:04:59 PM by walkingpneumonia »
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #585 on: June 16, 2010, 03:23:14 PM »
"Met [a famous person] yesterday, as a viewer I had great expectations for him as a person, they were surpassed 10-fold!!Ha"

Twitter id removed.

Tweet has disappeared - I didn't know you could delete tweets...

***SPECULATION***
Maybe he got the job and that's why he had to remove the reference for confidentiality reasons.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 05:14:49 PM by chill_sd »

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #586 on: June 16, 2010, 05:31:13 PM »
The finale is probably going on right now somewhere and we will not be told by Peach, etc. where it is until it's over. What fun. :groan:
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #587 on: June 16, 2010, 06:11:16 PM »
The race ended yesterday, Hooky.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #588 on: June 17, 2010, 11:18:07 AM »
I think a cool finish line would be the headquarters of World Race Productions.

It's in the Los Angeles region at El Segundo the city just south of LAX. I recall tha WRP also has major offices in Marina del Rey, which is seaside unincorporated area of Los Angeles County with a  2000 population of  8,176.

I believe that the LAX sitings were of WRP crew not needed for the finish wherever it was. There are leaders of RFF who likely know but are not telling us.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 12:36:35 PM by apskip »

Offline MamaT

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #589 on: June 17, 2010, 11:47:50 AM »
There are leaders of RFF who know but are not telling us
Thats a pretty strong statement.  Any proof? Because from what Ive seen and heard the "leaders" are as frustrated as everybody else  (maybe more so)that the Race ended without being seen.

And while I'm at it, I know this probably isnt the right thread, but there isnt a "Great Job Guys" thread, so Im hoping TexasLady will forgive me...but I just wanted to say what an amazing job all of you do here at RFF! This is my first season of watching spoilers and I have been consistently impressed with how much work and dedication goes into figuring out tidbits of info and translating it into a workable time line.  The love, committment and repsect for TAR shown by each of you has been really impressive.
I know that this is a huge co-operative effort, and I dont want to minimalize the efforts of anyone else, but GeorgiaPeach, if there is ever a TAR Hall of Fame, you deserve a special place there! You are simply amazing!!  I cant even imagine the hours that you spend dedicated to this pursuit. You sacrifice your time, energy and many a good nights sleep to figuring out this stuff and your actions are very much appreciated!!
So, again, great job RFF!!  Since these things are so popular here, let me just end by saying:
 :wohoo:    :jumpy:     :hearts:     :keeta:    :yourock:    :gj:     :ty    :hfive:

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #590 on: June 17, 2010, 12:04:40 PM »
There are leaders of RFF who know but are not telling us
Thats a pretty strong statement.  Any proof? Because from what Ive seen and heard the "leaders" are as frustrated as everybody else  (maybe more so)that the Race ended without being seen.

It's not often I jump in to defend Apskip's opinions, but I feel it is necessary this time.

This is your first season chasing the spoilers, so you do not know, but a LOT of the time, there are a few here that know the final destination city, however they do not reveal it to the rest of us. Apskip, who has followed the spoilers for a long time, knows this and is making an assumption based on past experience. An assumption which I believe is based on a nearly 100% occurrence in past seasons.

Offline River

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #591 on: June 17, 2010, 12:17:17 PM »
I think a cool finish line would be the headquarters of World Race Productions.

It's in the Los Angeles region at El Segundo the city just south of LAX. I recall tha WRP also has major offices in Marina del Rey, which is seaside unincorporated area of Los Angeles County with a  2000 population of  8,176.

I believe that the LAX sitings were of WRP crew not needed for the finish whether it was. There are leaders of RFF who know but are not telling us.
Thank you apskip! I knew something was up.

Offline Paron

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #592 on: June 17, 2010, 12:33:53 PM »
There are leaders of RFF who know but are not telling us.
Yet.  They sometimes let a few more things out at least a week or so before the season starts, after the cast is officially released, or as things go along during the season.

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #593 on: June 17, 2010, 12:44:33 PM »
Something I personally don't understand is the withholding of information -- it always confused me -- this IS a spoiler site afterall..

Offline MamaT

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #594 on: June 17, 2010, 01:09:58 PM »
I didnt mean to start anything here :groan: and I certainly dont need to fight other people's battles, but may I offer a different perspective?  One of the most important words (IMO) that I used in my praise for all the hardworking spoilers here is RESPECT. Respect for the show, the people that make it, the people that run it.  Because of that respect, there are times that certain information cannot be shared, I would suspect.  I admire the restraint that is often shown.   I trust that there is good reason that not everything gets divulged.  Hell, I'm a nobody here and I had info that didnt get posted.  Not out of any big conspiracy, or any delight in withholding, but because the release of the info would have gotten someone in trouble.  Someone who didnt deserve to get in trouble.  Im sure that that is often the case, and it must be a fine line to walk between protecting your sources and sharing the news.

FWIW, I dont believe that anyone knows much more about the end city than has been reported.  But if Im wrong, Im OK with that.  I trust that there is a reason and that it is a sound one and that the info will be shared with the rest of us when the time is right.

Until I am ready to go without sleep for nights on end, or take time off from work or spend years cultivating the relationships that bring me news, Im not willing to criticize or complain about those that do.   I wil simply sit here in gratitude and appreciation.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #595 on: June 17, 2010, 01:10:46 PM »
The withholding of information takes place for two reasons -- first to protect a valuable source. or sources, and second, to prevent interference with the actual production of the Race.

Both of those reasons are fair and legitimate. Over the years TPTB have provided things in editing the show that more or less filled in the gaps in reconstructing the actual course and tasks of the Race.

TAR 17 hasn't been as fully spoilered as to other recent seasons as to locations and cast identifications, but that's the way it is sometimes.  Although past Races have shown that more teams identifications are likely to take place before the CBS announcement probably in August.
-- theschnauzers

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #596 on: June 17, 2010, 01:18:56 PM »
Just for the record... I know NOTHING! So Y'all know what I know and probably more.   :lol:
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #597 on: June 17, 2010, 01:20:22 PM »
Just so you know - withholding spoiler information is not done maliciously - it is usually done to protect our sources so we can milk them for more information later on. Any of us who have nurtured relationships with TAR "insiders" carefully disseminate the information we get so as to not betray our source..

This season we monitored a lot of different people who inadvertently let slip tidbits of information long before they started filming TAR 17. For me at least, this was all stuff that was publicly visible via twitter, or blogs or Facebook. If I had posted what I knew, the sources would have dried up and we wouldn't have gotten any further information from them.

In the middle of filming, when I see twitters, or Facebook posts or blogs I post them to the forum immediately - along with the source information (which I know some people disagree with). Sometimes this leads to the poster being swarmed with requests for more info - which can be unexpected and overwhelming for an individual unaware of the consequences of their post.

Everyone who reads this is free to do their own detective work, to spend hours in airports and look for film permits.  If you just want to read the results of our labours thats fine - but don't complain when you feel like you're not getting everything. Nobody should expect to be hand fed spoilers without doing some work yourselves.

And, I'm frustrated that we didn't detect the finale location. But, to the best of my knowledge, no one here is withholding that info.
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #598 on: June 17, 2010, 02:15:56 PM »
There are leaders of RFF who likely know but are not telling us.

apskip has been off line for almost the entire spoiling race, so in this case he is not aware of the current status of the spoilers.

This is 100%  FALSE. 

We do not know anymore about the finish line than has been posted. Darn it all! :lol:

The withholding of information takes place for two reasons -- first to protect a valuable source. or sources, and second, to prevent interference with the actual production of the Race.

This is 100% TRUE.

People often give us tidbits of info, on condition of anonymity. I personally guarantee to 100% protect any source who requests it. Sometimes I am able to provide some info but not identify where it comes from or how I got it.

Sometimes info is also sensitive, and might inadvertently reveal a source, so the ID is hidden. And most importantly, RFF is committed to protecting the race...we all love it and want it to live long and prosper. When there is spoiler info discovered ahead of the ACTUAL RUNNING of the race...we do sometimes withhold that info until the race is safely underway in order to prevent any undue interference with the race itself.

For instance, in Season 12, we discovered the location of the finale 24 hours before the racers arrived. In order to prevent crowds at the finish line or any disruption of the finish, we chose to withhold the location until after the race was safely over. You will also notice that we have (and will again) withheld divulging the location of the start until the racers are safely away.  Under no circumstances do we want our spoilers to interfere with the actual running of the race itself.

And thanks for the kind words MamaT, but this is a TEAM effort. Many of you have brought us tweets and twitters and FB info that has contributed enormously to the whole spoiler database. We couldn't do it without your keen eyes and hours of searching.

And to the hardcore detective team who spend hours of their time, energy, and in some cases, hard earned $$, Huge thanks!! You all are what make this site the star that it is!!

Everyone who reads this is free to do their own detective work, to spend hours in airports and look for film permits.  If you just want to read the results of our labours that's fine - but don't complain when you feel like you're not getting everything. .

What wp said. :tup: And if you want to help...jump on in!! All contributions are enormously appreciated! Plus it is just plain fun. :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #599 on: June 17, 2010, 02:20:02 PM »
The race ended yesterday, Hooky.

But you said that too early last season, and it wasn't true. I don't have good reason to believe that. :duno:

I'll sit back and wait for more potential info, but it's not much fun to wait for spoilers that won't come while knowing that I'm too busy to do such detective work myself most of the time.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis