Author Topic: TAR 17 Speculation  (Read 343413 times)

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
Re: TAR 17 Speculation
« Reply #250 on: May 31, 2010, 09:06:25 PM »
28th, that's just one leg! right! I did say that in the second post...

1. England
2. Ghana
3. Ghana
4. Possibly South Africa?
Why the obsession with everyone on here thinking (or wanting) them will go to South Africa?

The world cup...

Offline RichInSydney

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #251 on: May 31, 2010, 09:12:01 PM »
28th, that's just one leg! right! I did say that in the second post...

1. England
2. Ghana
3. Ghana
4. Possibly South Africa?
Why the obsession with everyone on here thinking (or wanting) them will go to South Africa?

The world cup...
I know this is a speculation forum but I think we should wait till we know the next destination. Yes, they could still go to South Africa but they could easily end up in any other country in the World next leg.
"I wish the world was flat like the old days, and I could travel just by folding a map."

arun1125

« Reply #252 on: May 31, 2010, 09:24:13 PM »
I think it is Digya National Park, which is 2 hours north of Accra.

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #253 on: May 31, 2010, 09:30:22 PM »
I think it is Digya National Park, which is 2 hours north of Accra.

Actually, it's Kakum National Park.

Offline mjriches2005

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #254 on: May 31, 2010, 09:55:26 PM »
I have a feeling they might return to Europe.  Everytime the race visits a country in West and Northwest Africa, they come in from Europe and go back to Europe after.  Past seasons like TAR3 (Portugal-Spain-Morocco x2 Legs-Germany), TAR6 (Sweden-Senegal-Germany), TAR10 (Ukraine-Morocco-Spain), and TAR12 (Netherlands-Burkina Faso x2 Legs-Lithuania).  I could be right or wrong.  But the most possible flights they would be on going back to Europe would be to Amsterdam or Frankfurt.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 09:58:27 PM by mjriches2005 »

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #255 on: May 31, 2010, 10:02:19 PM »
Rich, this is a spec thread. We are able to speculate whatever we want. We don't have to wait to find out the next leg. This is where you can post 'SPEC' not 'SPOILERS' so thats why its here and not in the Destinations/Locations thread. And sorry, Arun. I actually mean the 2nd and 3rd are in Ghana not England so that was wrong!
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #256 on: May 31, 2010, 10:06:55 PM »
We had lots of chatter about Jo-burg for this season. A LOT . But we discounted most of it thinking that TAR wouldn't want to be there during the World Cup. The US Team arrived there Sunday

I feel sure we'll see at least 2 African legs...perhaps two even in Ghana? That's what they did in Burkina Fasa.

There are other places in South Africa too than Johannesburg.  Cape Town, Port Elizabeth, East London, Bloemfontein, and Durban.  The FIFA World Cup doesn't begin until June 11, South Africa is still a possibility before then.

I was told not to quote back to back, just edit your first post, so Im going ahead and telling you.

Leave the moderating to the mods please.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 31, 2010, 10:08:08 PM »
We had lots of chatter about Jo-burg for this season. A LOT . But we discounted most of it thinking that TAR wouldn't want to be there during the World Cup. The US Team arrived there Sunday

I feel sure we'll see at least 2 African legs...perhaps two even in Ghana? That's what they did in Burkina Fasa.

There are other places in South Africa too than Johannesburg.  Cape Town, Port Elizabeth, East London, Bloemfontein, and Durban.  The FIFA World Cup doesn't begin until June 11, South Africa is still a possibility before then.

I was told not to quote back to back, just edit your first post, so Im going ahead and telling you.

Leave the moderating to the mods please.

oh snap.

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #258 on: May 31, 2010, 10:35:16 PM »
I have a feeling they might return to Europe.  Everytime the race visits a country in West and Northwest Africa, they come in from Europe and go back to Europe after.  Past seasons like TAR3 (Portugal-Spain-Morocco x2 Legs-Germany), TAR6 (Sweden-Senegal-Germany), TAR10 (Ukraine-Morocco-Spain), and TAR12 (Netherlands-Burkina Faso x2 Legs-Lithuania).  I could be right or wrong.  But the most possible flights they would be on going back to Europe would be to Amsterdam or Frankfurt.

IAWTP. There's much more that Europe could do.
Perhaps a return to East Europe (Belarus or Slovenia?)

Offline mjriches2005

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #259 on: May 31, 2010, 10:36:50 PM »
How about Slovakia, Denmark, Latvia, Macedonia, Montenegro, Albania, or Malta.  Or return to Vienna, Austria or Italy (Sardinia, Naples, Venice).
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 11:09:30 PM by mjriches2005 »

Offline Competitor

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #260 on: May 31, 2010, 11:03:53 PM »
I wish they had gone to Italy. Oh well.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 09:50:50 PM by Competitor »

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #261 on: May 31, 2010, 11:29:16 PM »
I think I can make a better argument as to why TAR won't be going near South Africa for a leg this time, and avoid Jo'Burg except as a possible connection point elsewhere.
During this past decade TAR hasn't gone to a country that was holding the Olympics or the World Cup until a later season was filmed afterwards,
Examples:
Sydney (2000 Summer Olympics) TAR 2
Salt Lake (2002 Winter Olympics) TAR 8
Athens (2004 Summer Olympics) TAR 9
Torino (2006 Winter Olympics) TAR 12
Beijing (2008 Summer Games) TAR 14
World Cup (2002) Korea TAR 4
World Cup (2006) Germany TAR 14

There's no question Bert loves taking the Race through Olympic venues; he's plotted it that way enough times; and so far he's batted 1.000 in doing so within a year or two after the event. But he's been very consistent in avoiding those places in the run up to and during those events.

So I think the tendencies are that South Africa and Vancouver will show up in the next year or two; I just don't think the odds are that good for South Africa right now, although Vancouver sould be a wild card towards the end of this race currently being filmed.

I also think that for various reasons, much of east Asia is not as likely this time. Thailand is definitely off the boards until things settle down politically there. India has had problems in the past two years; and the show has been to China twice and Japan twice in recent seasons. Malaysia abd Singapore was visited this past season. Indonesia is a possibility, but the show has avoided there because of the potential for violence. (And you can't go by what the US State Department says. TAR has long relied on its own Security resources to help TPTB decide where to go in relative safety. Which leads me to this - I think the possibility are good for Australia and New Zealand this time around, and perhaps even an eastward route across the south Pacific to South America before the finish line somewhere in the southen or eastern U.S. TPTB have never done it that way, (and they hadn't gone westward across the south Pacific until a few seasons ago) and I think the odds are better for that this time given how quickly they got out of Europe to Africa.

Just my $,02. YMMV.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Competitor

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #262 on: May 31, 2010, 11:36:57 PM »

I also think that for various reasons, much of east Asia is not as likely this time. Thailand is definitely off the boards until things settle down politically there. India has had problems in the past two years; and the show has been to China twice and Japan twice in recent seasons. Malaysia abd Singapore was visited this past season. Indonesia is a possibility, but the show has avoided there because of the potential for violence. (And you can't go by what the US State Department says. TAR has long relied on its own Security resources to help TPTB decide where to go in relative safety. Which leads me to this - I think the possibility are good for Australia and New Zealand this time around, and perhaps even an eastward route across the south Pacific to South America before the finish line somewhere in the southen or eastern U.S. TPTB have never done it that way, (and they hadn't gone westward across the south Pacific until a few seasons ago) and I think the odds are better for that this time given how quickly they got out of Europe to Africa.

Just my $,02. YMMV.

I think that this would be fantastic.

Offline Mrs Shrek

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #263 on: May 31, 2010, 11:47:10 PM »
Just my $,02. YMMV.

Good analysis. I like it :tup:

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #264 on: June 01, 2010, 12:04:28 AM »
I agree that S. Africa is out of the picture. I thought Canada was likely only if it was the first leg, but TAR could be aiming for it towards the end.

I actually think Bangladesh would be a possible location: new country, Indian-style culture. I agree that India is still off-limits.
Other places include Kaohsiung in Taiwan, Jakarta in Indonesia, or Cebu in the Philippines.

I also think Oceania makes sense, but Peach doubts it  :(

Finally, S. America is unlikely to me, but it's possible. Never has S. America been seen in two consecutive installments.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #265 on: June 01, 2010, 12:09:42 AM »
peach doubts Australia this time...but NZ could be possible. Doesn't mean I am right though, either way. :lol:

I wouldn't be too quick to r/out Malaysia either.... :duno:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline redwings8831

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #266 on: June 01, 2010, 12:09:58 AM »
What about the Galapagos Islands at the end of the race? Technically part of South America but not mainland. Just a thought.

Offline mjriches2005

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #267 on: June 01, 2010, 12:11:02 AM »
peach doubts Australia this time...but NZ could be possible. Doesn't mean I am right though, either way. :lol:

Why doubt Australia? 
I hope for some Pacific island countries that have never been visited.

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #268 on: June 01, 2010, 12:25:14 AM »

Perhaps another trip to Malaysian Borneo?

Taiwan would be another good stop (even if it's only been a few seasons since its last visit), as would Manila or Baguio in the Northern Philippines.

Offline weihen

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #269 on: June 01, 2010, 12:32:30 AM »
I still think China is possile ,because everytime they have an all Chinese American team they choose to go to China,maybe chengdu.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 06:45:23 AM by weihen »

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #270 on: June 01, 2010, 01:10:23 AM »
What about a quick trip to J'burg, then north Africa?
I don't think we should rule out Egypt... :waves:
Didn't there used to be a camel smiley?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 01:13:55 AM by walkingpneumonia »
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #271 on: June 01, 2010, 01:13:39 AM »
What about a quick trip to J'burg, then north Africa?
I don't think we should rule out Egypt... :waves:

Definitely. Egypt is full of culture.
But a visit to S. Africa would make the route quite weird...

Offline RichInSydney

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #272 on: June 01, 2010, 02:04:33 AM »
I would like more middle east countries. Jordan, Bahrain, Qatar, Oman, even Abu Daubi in the UAE. We also have Brunei which would be an option not visited yet.

I just don't see why they can't come to Australia again. So much else to see. An Ayres Rock leg would be amazing. Perhaps its the New Zealand/Australian rivalry which makes Phil not want to come here often?!?
"I wish the world was flat like the old days, and I could travel just by folding a map."

Offline Competitor

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #273 on: June 01, 2010, 06:18:02 AM »
I still think China is possile ,because everytime they have an an all Chinese American team they choose to go to China,maybe chengdu.

I don't think they go to China again.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 09:53:30 PM by Competitor »

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #274 on: June 01, 2010, 09:07:34 AM »
More from our blogger who saw some of the teams at Heathrow May 28th:

oh ya im very sure the team Green was first cause they were behind me when i was heading up to the departure area(ie.left the ticket counter), and the rest of the teams were still at the counter:)
they then went up to the second level(whr the departure area is) to change some money, but i dont knw what currency..

I think Team Green, aka Team Princeton, aka Team Nassoon is going to become my favorite this season.